Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't stop laughing at the escape shuttle careening into the station, destroying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Unitystation is licensed under AGPL, anyone who runs it or forks of it is obligated to provide source code at request to anyone who runs or receives output produced by the software. In other words, you'd better only let people you trust not to share source code onto your server if you want to have a private fork.

This is good imo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't stop laughing at the escape shuttle careening into the station, destroying it

Can I get a timestamp for that? Also I see he beat a clown to death so it's basically feature complete.

edit: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/549052347?t=04h43m33s :vince::nsavince:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 11, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kitfox88 posted:

Can I get a timestamp for that? Also I see he beat a clown to death so it's basically feature complete.

About here from a couple nights ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/549052347

About 4:43:30 lmao (don't know how to timestamp on twitch)

It seems to happen every time

e: oh you found it lol

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems to happen every time

Yeah, one of the YouTube Personalities™ I pay attention to reviewed it and said rounds basically last until someone figured out the shuttle controls and reams the station a new airlock.

Which, honestly, on brand.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

i like how it comes to a rest embedded in the bar, crushing an assistant who was trying to chase down his fallen donut

despite the lack of features rn unitystation seems to carry on the ss13 spirit

also check like a minute afterwards when he reviews the trail of destruction and there's just a guy yelling "OH GOD SPACE" while flying into the abyss

e:

Kitfox88 posted:

he actually revived a murdered clown and became a clown sympathizer, culminating in him hijacking the captain's position, putting on the fallen clown's mask and going on a violent crusade for Clown Rights

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 11, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing fills me with dread like the clown walking into my department.

Looking right at you NOOT

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Unity Station will lead to the 2nd renaissance of Goonstation with real SA goons!

no it won’t

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

God yeah, you've never known true awe until you've picked up and eaten a seemingly ordinary peanut, only to instantly plunge into a coma while vibrating madly and suffering endless seizures and heart attacks (yet somehow never actually feeling the merciful embrace of death).

Exploding produce is one thing, but hell peanuts are some Marquis de Sade poo poo.

in fairness this would happen if I ate a normal peanut also

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

in fairness this would happen if I ate a normal peanut also

Yeah, but that's because your immune system behaves much like SS13 cops do. A normal person eating a peanut containing a source of sugar with a density rivaling neutronium would probably also just die.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
GOD I HATE rear end DAY * plays until midnight so I catch every round*

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016
In all honesty, having a fight for your life thing would be kinda cool to have as a regular feature, but I feel that would ruin the specialness of rear end Day.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Do I even want to ask what rear end Day is?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Do you?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

rear end Day

is 2 day

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
woop woop

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Triggerhappypilot posted:

rear end Day

is 2 day

Did they move rear end Day? I thought it was always the 13th of the month.

rear end Day is the day each month where all server rules regarding griefing and antag-like behavior are temporarily rescinded. Other rules such as not being a bigot or deliberately crashing the server are still enforced, but you otherwise have free reign to be an rear end, hence the name.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
monthly purge

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
rear end day sucks rear end

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the purge but for space station

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
RIP like half the admin team I guess, pouring one out for you :patriot:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's like a dwarf fortress depression cascade wow.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What happened? I'm guessing it was related the recent leak?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

TheDK posted:

rear end day sucks rear end

unrobust spaceman spotted

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

What happened? I'm guessing it was related the recent leak?

I don't know the specifics, people were poo poo flinging and I think some people just didn't want to bother with that garbage.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's complicated. The really short summary is that the leak hit pretty hard and caused a system that was already past its limits to finally snap. Nobody is happy with what happened.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is this unity station a playable thing ? I would like to play this game or a game like it but I just can't do the bad graphics and interface.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want deets. I want to see a casualties list

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I've been making space meth in Maint and tripping my balls off, what'd I miss besides the escape shuttle

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want deets. I want to see a casualties list

It's in the note... Crap, no it's not, but I saw a list somewhere...in this thread I think.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 20, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

[7:56 PM] Maid: Alright, some of you already know this but this last couple weeks has been real rough on the people who make this game and keep it running. We've lost a lot of talent recently. To be up front: Cirr left on bad terms after a lot of small, cascading failures of ourselves and our systems. Cirr later chose to leak our code, and it caused a lot of trouble that I'm not going to talk about, except to say that if you want to play around with our code we fashioned a public release you can find above that's more recent than the leaked code was.

In the aftermath of the code leak, there's been a lot of tension amongst the admin/coder team ranging from anger about having our hard work on cool secrets for y'all dashed on the rocks to betrayal to anger at the circumstances that led up to Cirr's departure. Lots of anger, though. Amid all this anger, a lot of old, bad feelings that have existed for a long time boiled over. A number of our team members left, and one (Zamujasa) was removed from the team for a variety of reasons including taking their frustrations to twitter in a way that hurt other members of the team. Then more left. Some people made it clear their departure will be permanent, while others may return.

To be completely real with y'all we're still feeling pretty raw but we all still want you to have a fun game to play. I really wanna drive that part home: EVERYONE involved wants Goonstation to continue, and so it shall. We're all currently engaged in the enterprise of finding a way forward together as admins and coders. Thanks for reading all this text. If y'all have questions we'll do our best to address them and are planning to set up a town hall-style meeting in the near future so that you all can talk about this and other stuff going on with us.

[7:57 PM] Maid: In addition to the two people mentioned above (Zamujasa and Cirr) the following folks have left the staff of goonstation, at least for now:
Readster, Haine, SpyGuy, Hukhukhuk, Wonk, Somepotato, Azungar, InfiniteMonkeys, Keelin, Kremlin

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Zamujasa and Cirr
Readster, Haine, SpyGuy, Hukhukhuk, Wonk, Somepotato, Azungar, InfiniteMonkeys, Keelin, Kremlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8AeV8Jbx6M

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat that's a lot of people I really liked. This really sucks to hear.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

God drat that's a lot of people I really liked. This really sucks to hear.

it's actually all of the admins that I could have named off the top of my head

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

holy poo poo yeah that's basically all the admins I know/knew. Wonk is especially gutting. I was poking around on Twitter but all I could find was someone (another former admin?) saying SpyGuy is a white supremacist, whatever that's about lol

edit: it was I Said No who posted this so god knows what the gently caress is going on. is everyone ok

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 20, 2020

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Proving that the lessons of history have been learned, the remaining team has announced that they...are going to continue running Goonstation as a closed-source project run exclusively by jealous and secretive wizards.

:sigh: I wish someone would fork the 2020 code and make a new open-source server. There is zero reason for it to be closed source (except muh sekrit chems) and it only promotes the kind of pettiness and cycles of coder burnout we've seen over and over.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

jonathan posted:

Is this unity station a playable thing ? I would like to play this game or a game like it but I just can't do the bad graphics and interface.

Yeah, it's playable but there are a lot of missing features still. https://youtu.be/t5GC9bWVP8o

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Proving that the lessons of history have been learned, the remaining team has announced that they...are going to continue running Goonstation as a closed-source project run exclusively by jealous and secretive wizards.

:sigh: I wish someone would fork the 2020 code and make a new open-source server. There is zero reason for it to be closed source (except muh sekrit chems) and it only promotes the kind of pettiness and cycles of coder burnout we've seen over and over.

I mean if some SA goons want to get together and make an (SA) Goonstation I would happily contribute to server fees

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I think pushing more resources towards completing unitystation would be better than supporting the jankiest of byond engineering, even if it is a technical marvel that it runs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Vengarr posted:

Hi! I've been part of the admin staff for this horrible game for yonks, and am one of the 'wizards'. Here's a peek behind the curtain!

We're staying closed-source (for now, and the foreseeable future) simply because a significant amount of the coders who've worked on the game over the years would prefer it that way, and we don't think it would be all that cool if we said 'hey, thanks for the years you put into this horrible game, we're gonna make all your stuff open source now even though you said you hated that idea' to the coder staff. There are also concerns that doing so could land us in legal trouble if we don't do it exactly the right way, and none of us are IP lawyers or can afford one. The silver lining of the leak is that the updated public release, like the last couple public releases, have re-invigorated people's interest in working on this game! Loads of new patches and patch ideas from our players, more people looking at the code and going 'I wonder..' and more engagement in general.

As for the wizard thing, we (the entire admin staff, not just 'wizards') are taking a look at our organizational infrastructure from the ground up and seeing what works, what could be improved, and what needs to be entirely replaced. The general trend (which I agree heartily with) is for more decision-making and agency to be placed in the hands of the admin staff in general, with much less being the sole domain of the 'wizard council' (lord god do I ever hate that term). We're trying to get away from the old 'we're in charge because we say we are' model and closer to a division-of-labor model where the only stuff that's the sole domain of 'wizards' is stuff that has to be handled delicately or with a minimum of eyeballs on it (for example, anything touching personally identifiable information or possible interaction with law enforcement, like the time poor Cogs had to send screenshots to the FBI).

We're hoping at least most of the staff who had to walk away will find their way back. It's a frustrating and high-drama time, and I can absolutely understand having a limited amount of patience for that. We're trying to make sure they have something better to come home to than what they left.

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 20, 2020