Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

"Taking one chapter to final shipping quality - flushes out any technical, integration and polish issues."

That makes perfect sense that they did that in 2016, but they must have forgotten that chapter on the roadmap, or to show any teasers from it in the past 4 years.

https://i.imgur.com/uN1Amsk.gifv

shrach fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I love the "no shortcuts!" thing when games are built using nothing but shortcuts and good technical design

trying to do otherwise gets you, well

star citizen

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

You must be reading the wrong reddit.

Wait are you telling me that r/RealAhegao is not the right one? but it's full of SCitizens!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

ggangensis posted:

I think CIG has a serious hiring and talent problem. Halfway decent software engineers wouldn't touch CIG with a pole due to two main reasons:
1. The project has the reputation of a bad joke you don't want to have on your vita
2. No one in their right mind would work for a hack like Roberts for that wage. This whole gig screams "dead end" from afar. Sure, Chris and his entourage will funnel millions into their private pockets for years to come, but as a lowly engineer you're basically hosed.

So, now we have underpaid 25yrs old senior engine coders fresh from university, which is the creme de la creme of what Chris has. That leaves (probably unpaid) trainees their tool coders and it shows. Why the higher ups green-lit this, I don't know, most likely they don't know better either or just don't give a gently caress anymore.

I am working in IT incl. SW development and and SW architecture+design.
It’s all about the content of the SLAs of the parties.
If customers want youth devs, they get them for like 100 Euro per hour. If they want expertise, I sell them seniors starting at 130 Euro per hour up to 200 Euro per hour for specialized skills.
The difference of a re-engineering and/or coding veteran and a talented kid from university is hard to describe, but it won’t take long to recognize the experience, skillset and anticipation a veteran has to understand complex problems and how they “read” what the customers need even if these customers could not articulate it.
I usually had the most success in projects where my customers where willing to buy different levels of expertise for different tasks . There are fields of coding and crafting modules where youngsters and talented coders can just learn and even deliver everything after try and error parts. They meet their milestones buy just learning by doing as well and they have some older and more experienced veterans at their side to optimize stuff.

Most clients now understand that this is the best spent money. I just tell them the risks of only buying the entry skillset for a multimillion software development project.

It’s obvious that the PTU and the modules are in such crappy state and are missing tons of core mechanics because they just hired by quantity and not by quality.
Designing spaceships in their CAD environments and tools is way more easy than the implementation = production state in a persistent universe with all promised stretchgoals amd interaction and features.

That’s exactly where they need the skills and experience and expertise of professionals.
They just got all these kids and we don’t get any of the 2 games since 8 years.

The sc reddit had an effort post where someone describes how “normal” that is what happens at CIG because that’s how software projects work.

After 20 years in IT and leading 8 digit Dollar/Euro projects I can claim that this is bullshit.
From a distance I can recognize ALL patterns of failure because I had failed projects as well.
CIG is a a lecture of mismanagement and wrong decisions and lack of skills and knowledge.
No matter what the Cult wants to believe.

TLDR

2600+ days after the Kickstarter. No games.
Reason: idiot whales, mismanagement, project management gone wrong in every aspect, lack of knowledge, zero expertise and no clue at all how to unfuck the code, networking and engine.
CIGs Coder Kids keep on failing, because they have no save environment of know how transfer .
Chris Roberts is their lonely best coder and needs help. Buy more ships.

TheAgent posted:

I love the "no shortcuts!" thing when games are built using nothing but shortcuts and good technical design

trying to do otherwise gets you, well

star citizen

Exactly, there always is a best practice even in coding and using tools and tech. The beauty of your structure is less important than the milestones and having working processes and apps. The SC PTU on the other hand, yeah, lol.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 11, 2020

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Yay, a dose of Chris!

Star Citizen: Pillar Talk - Looking Into 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFmwlgWQFyg

Recorded at Citcon apparently

The first bits have been about glueing servers together and how there really will be a janitor that tidies up the server. Or something.

quote:

This Pillar Talk was recorded in 2019

:laffo:

e:
2.03, following an earlier interruption at 1:39, it is very telling about the relationship between Tony and Chris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFmwlgWQFyg&t=123s

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 11, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Guessing Calling All Devs plans were shelved when the number 1 question was what's happening with SQ42 says everything.

But even with several grand spent in SC for the PU
I wonder if these multiple grand spenders understand that THEY are the main reason we ain’t got any of both games or not even 10% of them so far.
I doubt it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MarcusSA posted:

Truly open development

Sandepande posted:

Well it is, because Chris said so. There is no doubting Chris.

One of these days there will be a realization outside of goons and Derek smart alts that realize the things CIG say and the things CIG actually does.

But that's a slippery slope and pretty soon after almost virtually elementary level of investigation, you may as well join the forums here because you've realized the terrible secret of space.

And you can't even assume CR cares be he doesn't own up to anything and has already absolved himself of all previous responsibilities.

I'm not even sure what he considers himself still responsible for?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

I think that's selling short how wrong the whole project is.

When you're building a new project you start with the scaffolding while some architects figure out how you actually want to build the thing. You build a few cheap prototypes to test ideas and to explore the problem domain. You can have artists work on figuring out the colour scheme of your wallpaper in parallel, but at the end of the day real production can't start until you have figured out how to actually build the bloody thing and how it's supposed to work.

This is called pre-production. Normal people use it to avoid building something they have to tear down again. You do it with relatively few people because you just need a few gurus who know their poo poo.

SC mostly skipped this step entirely. They just started building. They started building and building without knowing how in the gently caress it all fits together. They never figured out the tech before building assets using it. They are coming up with fundamental engine tech requirements years after production began. It's completely insane.

They have no scaffolding. That's more insane, even.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

I just checked the reddits and apparently the backers are beginning to suspect that maybe there is a small possibility that perhaps there may be some sort of issue with the development of the game.

Weird.

That happens since 2016 periodically tho after bad news and delays , any threads will be found under „controversial“ and after some days it’s the usual fluff and screenshot masturbation because there is nothing gameplaywise or stable enough to play for longer than an afternoon.

All it takes is a newsflash , a ship sale , a letter from the mansion or a fake.avi to restore faith and the funding tracker gaining momentum again while downvoting all doubts.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 11, 2020

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: it's just words on screens

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I will only have faith from the Stimperor.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Pillar Talk 2020 - What I Learned Today:

Baby Long-term Persistence:

- Chris: "The serving meshing is stage 2, because then you glue all these servers together"

- Chris: "With 3.8 we're going to introduce... baby long-term persistence"

- Tony Z: "If you're actually there to witness it then at some point there is going to be a janitor, he is going to come in, and he's going to grab that cup and put it over in the sink." [Regarding removing excessive items from the server with the daddy long-term persistence, icache]

- Planetary resource persistence will be in for 3.9. [Recently removed from roadmap]

- Chris: "I haven't seen a game like this. It is literally like, you know, a second universe which you can escape into. So, ummm, that's persistence."

Pyro Maniacs:

- Sean: "We're just starting to really coalesce everything. And that's what really excites me for this year."

- Tony Z is concerned people will melee him when he goes to get his ship.

- Chris: "We're not going to promise exactly what the release is, but it's going to be some point next year. It won't be 3.9. You know, maybe, after that, at some point."

- They all talk about fuel gameplay, salvage etc. [All currently pushed from roadmap]

Groupies

- Chris: "My big objective with the game is to not have people respawn.... It's better for me to have my friend rescue me than for me to commit suicide and wake up"

- All talk about how rubbish the grouping system is

- Sean talks about his 'Gettysburg re-enactment' ToW mode. Says it just needs 'polish' and the move to v4.

In Summary:

- Chris: There you go folks. That's a fairly in-depth discussion of what's coming up this year.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 11, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

SC vs understanding project management
Full ack and agree, and I will buy a hopefully then written book of the recap after all is said and done and the aftermath happened.
Star Citizen and this crowdfunding project will be part of every review of why gamers are the the greatest risk of every project without a leader and without a concept and without ACCOUNTABILITY

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

:laffo:

e:
2.03, following an earlier interruption at 1:39, it is very telling about the relationship between Tony and Chris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFmwlgWQFyg&t=123s

The body language is interesting to watch.

Also the comments section is funny, many of the natives are not taking this well, especially after the previous bobbleheads video.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
A game with no respawning mmm yes

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Pixelate posted:

Pillar Talk 2020 - What I Learned Today:

I learned this was recorded in 2019 and much of it is already irrelevant.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Antigravitas posted:

I think that's selling short how wrong the whole project is.

When you're building a new project you start with the scaffolding while some architects figure out how you actually want to build the thing. You build a few cheap prototypes to test ideas and to explore the problem domain. You can have artists work on figuring out the colour scheme of your wallpaper in parallel, but at the end of the day real production can't start until you have figured out how to actually build the bloody thing and how it's supposed to work.

This is called pre-production. Normal people use it to avoid building something they have to tear down again. You do it with relatively few people because you just need a few gurus who know their poo poo.

SC mostly skipped this step entirely. They just started building. They started building and building without knowing how in the gently caress it all fits together. They never figured out the tech before building assets using it. They are coming up with fundamental engine tech requirements years after production began. It's completely insane.

They have no scaffolding. That's more insane, even.

Several reasons for this approach:

- Chris wanted to get in that motion capture studio as soon as possible while the money was still burning holes in his pockets
- Chris has no idea how games are made and just assumed he'd yell about pixel colors and game would happen
- Selling ships to backers is far easier if they see what they think will be their ship in what they think will be the game
- They don't even know what they want to make yet, so they're not even ready to build the scaffolding

To keep money rolling in, they had to show something that appeared to be tangible progress. In a sense their method of success was a good portion of why they failed. CR's involvement made failure inevitable, but their funding method didn't help.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 11, 2020

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I think my favorite thing about pirate ships abducting players is that there really is nothing the player can do about it. It happens within the armistice zone so players are not allowed to equip their weapons and shoot their way out of the ship. They are completely helpless. And the anti-pirate guns on the stations are too weak and too inaccurate to actually kill the pirate ships, so more and more pirate ships keep spawning and causing more issues. And players can't take matters into their own hands and kill the pirate ships either because ships inside the armistice zone take 0 damage from things outside the zone. You cannot damage the ships within the zone.

It's like a fisherman throwing a net into the sea. The pirate ship clips through the station and catches a helpless citizen or two and carries them off.

Novaspectra
Jan 20, 2020

Time_pants posted:

Promise: a game with no subscription

Reality: a subscription with no game

Upvoted

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

valiantlife posted:

Got a link or a source to back this claim up?

I keep seeing this kind of statement but yet to see anyone list a game that does everything SC does but better. No I'm not talking about worse management than CIG, but all the elements SC does together.

Not even they can do or have done what they claim to be doing. It's all talk until it's playable by the players, thats all it's been for years, how can anyone who isn't $1000+ into this poo poo hole believe anything they say now 9 years into development.

So lets revise the question and go with what games have done everything that is currently in the PU today and we'll include the broken poo poo as well.
open world
flying vehicles
1st person shooting
missions with AI or
30 player multiplayer
really good graphics(for the sake of argument, lets say for the time they were released).

Lets remove the space genre aspect of it since the PU is already heading in that direction.

GTA 5/online is an example that it's already been done before and nothing in star citizen is new or unique, i mean technically starsiege tribes from 1998 does almost everything starcitizen does. Space engineers is another if you HAVE to include the space genre.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Nothing is mandatory on the roadmap, and nothing is exactly what they're out to deliver!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

You see all of 2020 will mostly be a planning year, as they switch from Staggered to Hopscotch development. So anyone who understands game development will know that once Hopscotch methodology is fully implemented in Q1 2021, then development can really kick into high gear. And really this is good and normal for a game to be stalled well into its 9th year of development.

Source: I am a project manager, software engineer, .config file editor, marine biologist, and wealthy international jet setter who all the women want to sex.

Let's gently caress.

Also do you have you own line of shoes you've designed?!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lemme wait for my friend to log on, take 20 to 30 minutes to get to me, "rescue" me for whatever that loving entails or whatever, let me log off because its now 3am and I just realized I'm playing EQ1999 and I'm 19 years old again and actually have a flat stomach and some form of muscle definition that will soon be completely ruined by years of "hardcore" mmo gaming and consuming nothing but red wine and chicago style pizza

marumaru
May 20, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

A game with no respawning mmm yes

the person who suggested this plays videogames

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
all the poo poo they talk about in that video has already been removed from the roadmaps lol

who the gently caress is in charge of their community outreach lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheAgent posted:

all the poo poo they talk about in that video has already been removed from the roadmaps lol

a goon

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

lemme wait for my friend to log on, take 20 to 30 minutes to get to me, "rescue" me for whatever that loving entails or whatever, let me log off because its now 3am and I just realized I'm playing EQ1999 and I'm 19 years old again and actually have a flat stomach and some form of muscle definition that will soon be completely ruined by years of "hardcore" mmo gaming and consuming nothing but red wine and chicago style pizza

Don't worry, just live fully in Chris's persistent world. Virtual food is better for you anyway.

quote:

Bottle of Water

item_DescDrink_bottle_water_01_a=

HEI: 80

Effects: Hydrating

Sourced from carefully selected water-rich asteroids, this crystalline pure water contains naturally occurring minerals for a smooth, refreshing taste that makes it a perfect choice for all your hydration needs.

Don't eat the argon bars though:

quote:

Atrophic - Restricts blood flow, negatively affecting the muscles, making tasks seem harder.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

TheAgent posted:

bootcha

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Server meshing:

The pipe dream of a maybe developer from the mid-90's learning about the cloud, and having the same fever dreams other people who don't understand technology has in that you can have "infinite computer power by spinning up new EC2 instances or increasing their capacity".

This is the bane of a few people starting to have to worry about scalability with a newish infrastructure and didn't understand how to actually scale outside of upgrade the instance category it's hosted on and assume you can just spin up communicating server indefinitely and they all just magically work. Until you're at an X1 large and there's nothing left to upgrade to.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Reaching out to the community to shake them by the collar and shout "THINGS ARE hosed"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
my favorite comment

quote:

What is wrong with this company, lately?
lol fuckin yeah, "lately" buddy

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
calders investment is nearing the 24 month mark

chris roberts should remember when you take money from people, make sure they don't have more than you

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

Lando is so hosed. Either he puts out new videos starring new nobodies talking sound design or producing, or he puts out edits of old and already irrelevant ramblings right from their useless MVPs.

2020 is really starting to reveal the genius of Sandi. She got out at just the right time.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

Lando is so hosed. Either he puts out new videos starring new nobodies talking sound design or producing, or he puts out edits of old and already irrelevant ramblings right from their useless MVPs.

2020 is really starting to reveal the genius of Sandi. She got out at just the right time.

I really can't imagine anyone giving Lando a job in a gaming company again if (when) CIG crumbles. Except possibly as the boy who makes the tea.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Server meshing! Full persistence! Theaters of War! Trading! Cooking! Refueling! Bespoke combat animations! More ships! More sales! Bug fixes! Base building! Underwater gameplay! Planet Tech v7! AI crew! Tony Z's insane rambling "Quanta" spreadsheet simulator! Medical gameplay! Farming! Scavenging! A poorly thought out and even more poorly executed flight model! Working missiles! Squadron 42!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

You're definitely showing your age. There are plenty of places where they don't give a gently caress about what their software engineers are wearing as long as they can exploit the gently caress out of them.

Sandals, Bermuda shorts, and a lovely ironic t-shirt may as well the professional dress code of the IT guy.

I do business casual all day every day. I rarely wear a skirt it's usually nice pants.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Bootcha posted:

Reaching out to the community to shake them by the collar and shout "THINGS ARE hosed"

I dunno, things have gone pretty well imo

crobberts got himself all the money he could ever need for the rest of his life

man's got a skill, can't deny that

sixty of those bux are even my kickstarter bux and I hope they went to door physics

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The Titanic posted:

I do business casual all day every day. I rarely wear a skirt it's usually nice pants.

This reads as hilarious (in the most juvenile way) for anyone who has spent any time in the UK.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Server meshing! Full persistence! Theaters of War! Trading! Cooking! Refueling! Bespoke combat animations! More ships! More sales! Bug fixes! Base building! Underwater gameplay! Planet Tech v7! AI crew! Tony Z's insane rambling "Quanta" spreadsheet simulator! Medical gameplay! Farming! Scavenging! A poorly thought out and even more poorly executed flight model! Working missiles! Squadron 42!

90 DAYS TOPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandweed posted:

Also don't go to their page at work unless your boss is OK with a lot of anime boobs.

Had to see it and I was not disappointed.

I've seen lots of companies do big huge anime tits before but this is a first I've seen where they actually drew in the big honking nipples poking through a shirt as well. Usually the nipples get a hard pass and that seems to keep them from being too naughty. It's like a secret code for being "kid friendly" somehow. Once you nipples you can never go back.