Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

QUARANTINE GAMEDAY THREAD

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918345

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1238180549174362117

Poque posted:

GIVE ME TWO WEEKS OFF COWARDS

I will add links to various cool threads (meet the teams, prospect thread, mlb.tv sharing, .gif thread, etc) here as they are created.

Also here's a cool image from Galactic Acid from last year to help you dissect Spring Training performances. Just replace the 2019 with 2020 in your mind because I am too lazy to do it myself.

Tony Phillips posted:

A little too obvious, but what the Hell....

:siren:MLB TV SHARING THREAD:siren:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I'm gonna take this opportunity to mention Mickey Morandini, who is a super nice dude and is a Guy I always like to Remember.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Is this Anti-Green Fields of the Mind Day?

Either way here's to another season of frustration, MLB blackouts, and Financial Flexibility!

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/56873/eyewitness-account-flexibility/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Baseball is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Baseball is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

I disagree. Baseball is bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

I disagree. Baseball is bad.

Will the FanGraphs Top 100 Prospects list cheer you up at all?

The writeup on Hoerner (46 overall) seems pretty decent:

quote:

Hoerner made some subtle swing changes after the draft that got him hitting for more power, and then he started branching out defensively in his second year. His dip in 2019 power output is likely injury-related.

When Hoerner was at Stanford, it seemed reasonable to hope that he could pass as a shortstop by simply making all the routine plays, plus a few based on his level of effort. It also seemed reasonable to project him in center field because of his plus-plus speed. The Cubs have decided to have it both ways; beginning in July of last year, after he returned from a wrist fracture, they began playing him at all three up-the-middle positions. Barring a rep-based leap in center field, he projects to be a 45 defender at all three spots, but the versatility is valuable on its own. This wasn’t the first developmental alteration the Cubs made. Hoerner’s swing changed not long after he was drafted. He was making lots of hard, low-lying contact at Stanford, but since signing he has added a subtle little bat wrap that has made a substantial difference in how he impacts the ball. He hit for much more power than was anticipated after he signed and may not have repeated the SLG in 2019 because of the wrist injury. He’s a lock regular for me and has some hidden value because of the defensive flexibility he provides, assuming he proves capable of handling both short and center.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's happening!!

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/1227607194989924353

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I just realized Steinbrenner means Stone Burner which is a kind of cool name for a baseball field.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What does the "N/V" part of the thread title mean?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Slimy Hog posted:

News/Views

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I have to admit, despite the Red Sox tearing my heart out and showing it to me, before scoffing and jacking up ticket prices, I am hella psyched for the season.

Let's Go Mets.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I think I preferred the old days, when guys needed spring training to get back into shape after driving a bread truck over the winter.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Today is a good day to enjoy baseballs

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When did the Negro leagues fade out? Some time in the 60s? The item in the OP about the 100th anniversary of their founding is what made me wonder.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just realized Steinbrenner means Stone Burner which is a kind of cool name for a baseball field.

Who is the baseball messiah that this stadium is going to blind? Trout? :ohdear:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cole Hamels missing three weeks of spring training with shoulder discomfort, which Braves fans are gonna take as a terrible sign given how that worked out for Folty and Minter etc. last season.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i'm ready

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The cubs will win maybe 80 games, trade either their best or second best player to save $10 million in luxury tax from their owners, who are among the 30 or so richest families in the history of human civilization, and i won't be able to watch any of it on TV.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
"When you get to camp, it's fun because you can now start to address some of the questions, whereas in the offseason, all we do is talk about them."

John Mozeliak is dumber than a sack of hammers.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Quiz: active home run leaders on each team only counting those hit for that team, I only got 20, some the rebuilding teams are hard figuring out if it's a veteran rando or a young guy's been there long enough to pass them

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Will the FanGraphs Top 100 Prospects list cheer you up at all?

The writeup on Hoerner (46 overall) seems pretty decent:

Oh god. I didn't know the "Stanford swing" still existed. Maybe that's just how Hoerner hit going into school, though. I dunno

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Quiz: active home run leaders on each team only counting those hit for that team, I only got 20, some the rebuilding teams are hard figuring out if it's a veteran rando or a young guy's been there long enough to pass them

I got 26, It's a shame so few of them require actual thought beyond who has been there longer

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

23, although I did get the Mets one wrong

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

IcePhoenix posted:

News/Views

It's to distinguish it from "GDT" (game day threads) basically as the persistent (usually for one month at a time once the season starts)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Fooey, I only got 18. Several of these were legit surprises to me.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Julio Cruz posted:

23, although I did get the Mets one wrong

Yea I overthought the Twins (home team) and otherwise did fine for exactly the reason IcePhoenix said. And I don't even pay much attention to other teams rosters

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Stone Burner Field would be a more appropriate name for the Tigers' spring training field since watching them makes me want to burn my own eyes out like I was Paul Atreides

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/1227633927562682376

El Gary loving rules.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bard Maddox posted:

Stone Burner Field would be a more appropriate name for the Tigers' spring training field since watching them makes me want to burn my own eyes out like I was Paul Atreides

Tell me of the dingers in your home field Usul.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 12, 2020

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1227639300503883777

uhhhhh

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Uh hey guy your sexual organs are exposed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

General Dog posted:

When did the Negro leagues fade out? Some time in the 60s? The item in the OP about the 100th anniversary of their founding is what made me wonder.
Once integration happened the league started a slow death, but yes the last teams folded in the 1960s

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Uh hey guy your sexual organs are exposed.

...in a strip mall parking lot.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GoatSeeGuy posted:

...in a strip mall parking lot.

“Well then they shouldn’t have named it a strip mall”

*Sitcom laugh track plays in the background, mixed with police sirens*

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

News/Views

No Safe Word posted:

It's to distinguish it from "GDT" (game day threads) basically as the persistent (usually for one month at a time once the season starts)

Thanks for this!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There’s not much to do in Dunedin except go to the beach, get drunk, flash people, or all of the above

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know how they say your sense of smell is attacked to memories and a smell can just trigger stuff in you instantly?

I watched this video and instantly smelled goose poo poo.

I love baseball.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Casnorf posted:

I'm gonna take this opportunity to mention Mickey Morandini, who is a super nice dude and is a Guy I always like to Remember.

I'll always remember his unassisted triple play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuCGGOi7Ahk

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Meth is a hell of a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Dear Yankees, please be less injured this year. Thank you.