Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've never used an air fryer but in general if you want good breading the answer is to use Panko breadcrumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I have an air fryer I got gently used off a coworker. It is great for wings but even things like fries and tots etc tend to turn out only slightly better than if I had done them in the oven. This air fryer also doesn't seem terribly well designed - there is not a ton of space under the grate where food sits to promote airflow. Does my air fryer suck or should I just better temper my expectations?

Fellow air fryer goon asking for recipes here is how to do wings in them.

https://platedcravings.com/air-fryer-chicken-wings/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Does anyone have salad advice, or a resource they'd recommend? I'd like to eat more salad but it seems like the quality is very inconsistent. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or buying the wrong brand of lettuce or what.

I'd also like to be able to make a week of salads on Sunday, so make-ahead tips and suggestions for salads with suitable ingredients (i.e. non-wilting) are appreciated.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

Speaker of air fryers, my mom got one for christmas and wants to find an air-fryer chicken tender recipe that doesn't end up with gross breading, if such a thing exists

I don't have an air fryer, but how long are you letting the breading rest before loading it into the air fryer? I've noticed with fried chicken in general, it really helps if I dredge the chicken, the let it rest on a rack for at least 10 minutes before frying to get the breading to set up and form a true crust instead of just being a sad shell of crumbs that sloughs off at the first bite.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does anyone have salad advice, or a resource they'd recommend? I'd like to eat more salad but it seems like the quality is very inconsistent. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or buying the wrong brand of lettuce or what.

I'd also like to be able to make a week of salads on Sunday, so make-ahead tips and suggestions for salads with suitable ingredients (i.e. non-wilting) are appreciated.

Heartier leaves like spinach will last a good 5 days. All leaves wilt early if crushed, though.

I gave up on leafy salads. I just load up on broccoli instead. Broccoli lasts well over a week in my fridge.

What kind of salads are you wanting? A dinner salad, a hearty salad for lunch?

Mason jar salads were super popular 5 or 6yeara ago - try looking around for some of those. Buzzfeed I think had a good massive round-up post of them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Most leafy salads also wilt faster once they get liquid dressing on them

Brassicas stay crunchy for a week so try:
brussel sprouts
broccoli
Cabbages
Kale
Chard

Also: carrots, seeds, cranberries, bell peppers, raisins stay good a long time

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PerniciousKnid posted:

For any leafy salads, definitely get little separate containers for dressing and toss together right before eating.

Also, in each container, take a little piece of paper towel, like 2inx2in, wet it and then squeeze as much water as you can. Lay it flat across the top of your salad in storage.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I mean, I think you might be well suited by doing some googling about bagged salad combos and seeing which things appeal to you. Trader Joes and Safeways have some nice ones to just test out and try, then you can recreate at home. If you legit want them to last a week or more, I think something along the line of an "asian sesame" thing with shredded cabbages and greens is best, I've also had great luck with TJ's "cruciferous" salad or a "BBQ tofu southwest" on mixed greens sort of thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've been watching One Punch Man and because of that I want to try Udon noodle soup. I was looking at this recipe (welcome to any other tips btw):
https://www.food.com/recipe/udon-beef-noodle-bowl-167099

Is it common in asian countries to not brown the meats and basically let them cook from raw to finished in the broth? I just think if it were me, I'd sear that beef quickly on all sides, then I'd slice it as thin as I could and then I'd plop it into the soup. Or would that ruin the "proper" flavour profile or something, any reason I shouldn't alter this recipe if I decide to cook it?

Beef is expensive here so I want to get the maximum flavour out of it you know and the maillard reaction is like my house god.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've been watching One Punch Man and because of that I want to try Udon noodle soup. I was looking at this recipe (welcome to any other tips btw):
https://www.food.com/recipe/udon-beef-noodle-bowl-167099

Is it common in asian countries to not brown the meats and basically let them cook from raw to finished in the broth? I just think if it were me, I'd sear that beef quickly on all sides, then I'd slice it as thin as I could and then I'd plop it into the soup. Or would that ruin the "proper" flavour profile or something, any reason I shouldn't alter this recipe if I decide to cook it?

Beef is expensive here so I want to get the maximum flavour out of it you know and the maillard reaction is like my house god.

It's incredibly common to cook meat this way in Asia when you are making a broth not a stir fry. Many hot pot type dishes are served with the meat raw on a plate and you put a piece into the communal pot of broth yourself to cook it there at the table.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is it common in asian countries to not brown the meats and basically let them cook from raw to finished in the broth?

Yep. Searing/browning isn't a thing over there. Koreans at least think you immediately get cancer if you eat meat with any kind of a crust.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Searing/browning isn't a thing over there. Koreans at least think you immediately get cancer if you eat meat with any kind of a crust.

But double-fried chicken is totally ok?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nwin posted:

But double-fried chicken is totally ok?

Trying to find logical consistency in cultural pseudoscience isn't going to go anywhere.

Stop taking the loving grill away when it finally heats up enough to sear the meat. :argh:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I mean, I think you might be well suited by doing some googling about bagged salad combos and seeing which things appeal to you.

Thank you all for the ideas! I've done some googling previously and found some lovely blogs so it's helpful to get some more specific ideas to investigate.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

PerniciousKnid posted:

Thank you all for the ideas! I've done some googling previously and found some lovely blogs so it's helpful to get some more specific ideas to investigate.

If you can stand one more, you might enjoy a three-bean salad, and it keeps very well: green beans, wax beans, and red kidney beans with some sliced red onion, all lightly pickled in a dressing of vinegar, oil, and a little bit of sugar.

The classic version that most people have encountered uses canned beans, but if you make it with fresh beans it is really tasty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I came across an extremely cheap Kitchen aid mixer today which was rad, but holy poo poo the attachments are expensive now that I'm looking at them. Is there like, decent off brand options? I'm not seeing much on Amazon under $70-100. I'd at least like to make pasta and grind meat/make sausage with this thing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also get one of those magic plastic lettuce knives.
Since they tear the produce instead of slicing, less cells are damaged (as explained to me) and it'll last longer.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Also get one of those magic plastic lettuce knives.
Since they tear the produce instead of slicing, less cells are damaged (as explained to me) and it'll last longer.

Do you have any tips for buying greens? Even spinach seems like it's often bad after a day or two, if not sooner.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do you have any tips for buying greens? Even spinach seems like it's often bad after a day or two, if not sooner.

Yes. Also buy the magic Rubbermaid produce containers. Wash the leafy stuff, gently dry/salad spinner it, toss into said magic container. Marvel as you eat your fresh greens all week long.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
If I make a cheese sauce like this one: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/cheese-sauce-for-cheese-fries-and-nachos.html which uses Evaporated milk and cornstarch, can I keep it on warm in a little crock pot for a few hours for a nacho bar? Or will it break or do something gross?

I also have sodium citrate on hand.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sodium citrate is your deal. It is a powerful emulsifier and will keep that sauce from breaking through pretty much anything you want to do with it. Reheats well even.

I've done this recipe from Modernist Cuisine a couple times:

285 grams (about .625 pounds) sharp cheddar, grated
11 grams sodium citrate (or 2 teaspoons of citric acid + 2.5 teaspoons of baking soda)
1/2 cup water (or dark beer)
3/4 cup milk
2 jalapeños, finely diced

Stir the SC into the water/beer in a heavy saucepan until fully dissolved. Add milk and bring up to a simmer over low heat. Whisk in the cheese in small batches until all is incorporated, then add the jalapenos and stir.

Keeps up to a week in the fridge, and is thick but pourable even cold.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 14, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As much as I like to preach about sodium citrate, I think it might be redundant since Kenji’s recipe relies on the evaporated milk proteins and starch to do the same job

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EVG posted:

If I make a cheese sauce like this one: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/cheese-sauce-for-cheese-fries-and-nachos.html which uses Evaporated milk and cornstarch, can I keep it on warm in a little crock pot for a few hours for a nacho bar? Or will it break or do something gross?

I also have sodium citrate on hand.

I made this recently and it should do fine in a crockpot

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was eating a loooot of spinach for my lunches for a few months and this struggle is real and I eventually gave up on it because the quality (even for organic prewashed) was just poo poo. either it went bad too fast or had that really off-putting taste.

romaine hearts are easy to prepare and don't go brown that fast but they aren't cheap, aren't filling and the annual ecoli outbreaks are annoying

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

Check the spinach really well to see if it has any brown soft spots. If it does it won’t last no matter what.

I find that spinach from Costco lasts the longest and I think it’s because it’s fresher, maybe because it’s warehouse direct instead of sitting somewhere before being shipped to a grocery. I dunno.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

veni veni veni posted:

I came across an extremely cheap Kitchen aid mixer today which was rad, but holy poo poo the attachments are expensive now that I'm looking at them. Is there like, decent off brand options? I'm not seeing much on Amazon under $70-100. I'd at least like to make pasta and grind meat/make sausage with this thing.

There are off brand ones yes but quality is uncertain.

I have the meat grinder one but got it on sale for like 60 percent off just waiting around.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I buy prewashed spinach and check the bag very very carefully for any signs that has been squashed in transit. I store it in the fridge in a big plastic tub so it can't get damaged there either.
I switched to pre-washed because I just can't get it dry enough to use as a salad leaf when I wash it myself at home. I don't know what kinds of quantities you all are buying but my 200g bag lasts me 4-5 days and as long as it wasn't damaged from the start, it's as good on day 5 as day 1.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

As much as I like to preach about sodium citrate, I think it might be redundant since Kenji’s recipe relies on the evaporated milk proteins and starch to do the same job

it's a hell of a lot easier

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Check the spinach really well to see if it has any brown soft spots. If it does it won’t last no matter what.

I find that spinach from Costco lasts the longest and I think it’s because it’s fresher, maybe because it’s warehouse direct instead of sitting somewhere before being shipped to a grocery. I dunno.

Maybe I'll try Costco. Only buying undamaged spinach didn't work well when it's always all damaged, or so it seemed. Thanks.

Edit: my prior bad experiences might've been partially seasonal as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe I'll try Costco. Only buying undamaged spinach didn't work well when it's always all damaged, or so it seemed. Thanks.

Edit: my prior bad experiences might've been partially seasonal as well.

Come to the Costco thread, we love you. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797869

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

If you have the patience for it keep an eye on auctions on the shopgoodwill.com website. You can get some pretty great deals if you don't ferry into a bidding war with someone.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

I've stopped buying bagged/boxed loose greens all together because of of how fast they turn on me. Instead I'm buying whole head lettuce, kale, etc and chopping it myself. In many cases it's cheaper if you watch for what's on sale (normally 2 or 3 of the different types of greens will be discounted), and considering how little I have to throw away because of spoilage, it's cheaper even when I'm buying it at "full price."

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've been eating a lot of beef ribs. They are super fatty and kind of makes me feel ill if I eat too much. But the bones have been stored in the freezer so when it's time to b o n e b r o t h it up I'll be able to make some Tom Yum Soup. I usually cook meat in the instant pot.

Vegetables themselves, I pick 4, and fry in oil with 4 spices. Instantpot some rice, and then fry it all up together. This is basically what I eat every day.

Weltlich posted:

I've stopped buying bagged/boxed loose greens all together because of of how fast they turn on me. Instead I'm buying whole head lettuce, kale, etc and chopping it myself. In many cases it's cheaper if you watch for what's on sale (normally 2 or 3 of the different types of greens will be discounted), and considering how little I have to throw away because of spoilage, it's cheaper even when I'm buying it at "full price."

Agreed, except packaged mushrooms are a lot easier and I think cleaner.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I had this lobster bisque in paris, it was a thinner broth than I'm used to, but still rich. My husband is convinced it was an opaque broth, but I remember being absolutely mindblown at the time that it was translucent and since I was only tasting his with the intent of making something similar someday I'm going with my recollection. I got my hands on a poo poo load of lobster shells and am going to the store tomorrow to get all the half price lobster they tend to have after vday. Working backwards from the richness and the lack of opacity I'm thinking I'll use lots of butter but maybe skip any cream. Anyone have any tips or tricks for either lobster stock or bisque?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Put a paper towel in the bag/box.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I was going to make Kenji's miso risotto today but the Asian supermarket near me is closed and nowhere else nearby sells sake. What can I substitute?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I was going to make Kenji's miso risotto today but the Asian supermarket near me is closed and nowhere else nearby sells sake. What can I substitute?

Try dry vermouth, dry sherry or Chinese cooking wine like Shaoxing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dry sherry or dry vermouth

Chinese rice wine if the store has it

Mirin if you don’t mind it getting sweeter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Try dry vermouth, dry sherry or Chinese cooking wine like Shaoxing.

Chinese rice wine, not cooking wine. Chinese cooking wine is way salty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Steve Yun posted:

Chinese rice wine, not cooking wine. Chinese cooking wine is way salty

Good to know, I had them as the same thing in my head.