Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure it's possible to do something that locks out gears that are unsafe for the current speed. Put a solenoid that pushes a rod in the way of the lever for gears you shouldn't be in. Drop the speed down enough and the ECU releases the solenoid to allow putting the gear lever in that position.

yeah this sounds awesome no way anything about it could ever go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
here's how i solved the money shift problem - i simply do not money shift

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

here's how i solved the money shift problem - i simply do not money shift

:hmmyes:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That's a "my trigger finger is my safety" crossover with Sign and Glock.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah this sounds awesome no way anything about it could ever go wrong

If something went wrong, the solenoids would just fail open and you'd be able to shift to whatever you want.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I've shifted 3->2 when I wanted 4th, from redline, twice in my miata while on track. I am very glad for non interference engines.

My problem is that despite new engine mounts, they have enough flex on corner exit that 2 is where 4 should be. I fixed it by going faster through the corner so I can be in 4th on entry :v:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Blue On Blue posted:

Anyone have internet opinions on X1 versus X2 , and 2019 versus 2020 of both?

I have been considering trading in my 2013 X3 (which yes I just bought in October) but the deals right now are really making it hard not to look at a new car... 2.9% lease, plus loyalty discount, plus a 6.5% discount direct from the dealer

Get an M3

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:hmmyes:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A reasonable proposition... I will discuss with the dealer

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Blue On Blue posted:

A reasonable proposition... I will discuss with the dealer

another AI success story folks

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

guys wait

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Going in tomorrow to get my girlfriend transmission wiring harness rewired.
I made the mistake of finding the full recall repair instructions. Super, duper glad this is a lease. I can’t see those little crimp on connectors that lengths the wires lasting more than the initial warranty of this thing.

The whole thing for post delivered cars seems a lot fiddlier than the repair option for new cars. It’s a lot of cutting and splicing and taping and yikes.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
This is going to go for like 18k. Buy it. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-28/

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

rscott posted:

Thus demonstrating why DCTs are the superior transmission :smuggo:

It actually is by a long margin but lol, just lol if you're not using a throttle controlled with a lever on the steering wheel like true men, nay, driving aficionados do

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah, dct is definitely the better transmission.

for a clown. to have in his clown car. to drive to the circus

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The circus is Lit

I saw a Gran Coupe 2 series in the flesh today. It looks a lot better than it did in still images, but man, I would never be tempted to own one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

This is going to go for like 18k. Buy it. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-28/

Every time I come in to this thread I keep on remembering that e90 m3 I drove and the sound it made.

One of these days my BAT bids will stick and I'm going to have to explain to my wife why I have to fly to Texas next weekend.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Every time I come in to this thread I keep on remembering that e90 m3 I drove and the sound it made.

One of these days my BAT bids will stick and I'm going to have to explain to my wife why I have to fly to Texas next weekend.

Seems like an easy conversation IMHO. "I bought an E9x M3" is one of those things spouses love to hear, just teach her the V8 salute and presto.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

Seems like an easy conversation IMHO. "I bought an E9x M3" is one of those things spouses love to hear, just teach her the V8 salute and presto.

"This is half the price of that Cayenne Turbo I bid on. You weren't this angry when I told you that!"

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
It's on its way to me. I'm loving pumped.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Diametunim posted:

It's got an error light on already eh? :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Diametunim posted:

^^^This guy gets it. Just get an M3. M3's for everyone - and everyone should get an M3. You can buy a delicious value M3 for a reasonable rate right now that isn't a basket case. If people are getting near their ask prices on most of the ones I am seeing right now that should I ever consider selling my E90 I will be in pretty good shape. A totally stock/fully maintained/accident free/ZCP E90 that is BLUE and 50xxxK miles? Just doesn't exist, and the ones that do are not for sale.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

It's got an error light on already eh? :v:

It's just an airbag light. Not all that important. First maintence items are going to be ripping the Vanos off to throw besian parts at it and dropping the front subframe out to do the rod bearings within the next month or two so I'll eventually get to the airbags at some point.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 13, 2020

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

^^^This guy gets it. Just get an M3. M3's for everyone - and everyone should get an M3. You can buy a delicious value M3 for a reasonable rate right now that isn't a basket case. If people are getting near their ask prices on most of the ones I am seeing right now that should I ever consider selling my E90 I will be in pretty good shape. A totally stock/fully maintained/accident free/ZCP E90 that is BLUE and 50xxxK miles? Just doesn't exist, and the ones that do are not for sale.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694206

The above linked for-sale ad certainly has me lusting. A truly unique 2011 build too: ZCP, 6MT, carbon leather trim, speed cloth manual seats w/ NAV?!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

thealphabetsez posted:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694206

The above linked for-sale ad certainly has me lusting. A truly unique 2011 build too: ZCP, 6MT, carbon leather trim, speed cloth manual seats w/ NAV?!

lol that's the one someone posted like one or two days ago in here and everyone thought he was on crack RE: his asking price. Cool car though, I do agree on that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

lol that's the one someone posted like one or two days ago in here and everyone thought he was on crack RE: his asking price. Cool car though, I do agree on that.
Apparently EAG sold almost the identical car (but no nav) 2 years ago for $54K. :newlol:

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 13, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

I need to stop bidding on poo poo.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Argh! That's where I originally recall finding the vehicle. Apologies for the re-post.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently EAG sold almost the identical car (but no nav) 2 years ago for $54K. :newlol:

I do wonder how much BaT auctions are contributing to inflating asking prices. While fun to see clean examples sought after, the pricing can be silly. I am still left bewildered by the price fetched for the infamous Atlantis Blue E92 of last year:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-bmw-m3-27/

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

gvibes posted:

Oh man my fingers are itching. If I didn’t have five cars already...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

gvibes posted:

gently caress. How much to wrap it smurf blue?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Big Taint posted:

Oh man my fingers are itching. If I didn’t have five cars already...

Went for 20,190. :sigh:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

If anyone could take a look at this and Carfax and let me know if i'm missing a red flag (besides it not being an M3) I would appreciate it. I'm at about 90% on buying it
https://www.burdickbmw.com/certified/BMW/2016-BMW-228i-c4b311080a0d0cc768c9d34099ff3a78.htm

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Carfax says single owner, no accidents or reported damage & pretty consistent service records at Burdick BMW in Cicero. Also pep boys 🤷🏻‍♂️

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

If something went wrong, the solenoids would just fail open and you'd be able to shift to whatever you want.

I absolutely trust BMW to create new and novel failure modes.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Went for 20,190. :sigh:

That's ludicrous value for the amount of car that bought. drat.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
We're going from money shifting M2's to flying M4's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPxSxQn05R8

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Wow that boulder absolutely trashed that Camaro!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

fknlo posted:

We're going from money shifting M2's to flying M4's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPxSxQn05R8

I had a car stolen and joyridden into totally same situation @ 180 km/h. Sad day it was, though the car survived and was repairable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's ludicrous value for the amount of car that bought. drat.

Was it really? Did the aftermarket wheels/exhaust add that much? I guess it was an Akrapovic?