Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheQuietWilds posted:

Bag juices tend to have a bunch of albumin and gunk that gives a weird flavor. Bring it up to a boil for 5-6 minutes and then strain out the solids with a coffee filter. Then both the lipid and polar phase will be tastier and cleaner when you separate them out.

ughhh i think i'll just skim some of the fat for roux, dump the joose and use some pork stock from the freezer for the gravy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Bag juices tend to have a bunch of albumin and gunk that gives a weird flavor. Bring it up to a boil for 5-6 minutes and then strain out the solids with a coffee filter. Then both the lipid and polar phase will be tastier and cleaner when you separate them out.

Yeah, this is true. Bringing the juices to a boil tends to precipitate this weird protein gunk and the resulting strained fluid is a lot clearer than it originally looks.

BraveUlysses posted:

ughhh i think i'll just skim some of the fat for roux, dump the joose and use some pork stock from the freezer for the gravy

I don't know about full on gravy, but I've made some amazing "jus" using 48 hour short rib bag juice by separating it as described above, then reducing it down to ~30% volume. There is some concentrated meat flavour to be had in there. Sometimes if I feel lazy I don't even separate it and just mix in a bit of dijon to emulsify the precipitate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh yeah, boiling is key, sorry for not mentioning that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just bought an instant pot SV and I have a food saver - what's a good fist thing to try sous vide?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just bought an instant pot SV and I have a food saver - what's a good fist thing to try sous vide?

Chicken Breast or a really thick Pork Chop or Steak. Basically something that you want to get the perfect doneness inside with a charred as gently caress exterior, with no risk of over or undercooking.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 12, 2020

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

The Slack Lagoon posted:

A lean steak. It'll be fast to cook and will yield clear benefits over other methods. Don't put butter/oil in the bag.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

fart store posted:

A lean steak. It'll be fast to cook and will yield clear benefits over other methods. Don't put butter/oil in the bag.

Agreed. Fatty steaks like ribeye are not all that great puddled. Really thick tenderloin though? Heaven.

I was crushed when I found out that the standing pork rib roasts at my Costco were seasonal. :(
Had bought a couple this early winter and cut them into 2-rib-per-chop porkchops. They were AMAZING SV'd. Just had to be certain I didn't allow the bone to poke through the plastic.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Assuming you don't have any hesitance, whatever you'd like to eat that's not an overly complicated meat to prepare.

I've always recommended to people who were trying sous vide for the first time that they cook chicken breast.
It's generally inexpensive compared to beef or even pork, so people are generally less hesitant about making a mistake.
Steak really does shine because it's so easy to overcook conventionally, but before I tried it sous vide I'd never had a chicken breast that wasn't at least somewhat dried out.
Chicken is also a lot less visually unappealing when not seared than steak, because we don't typically expect a hearty "crust" on chicken breast unless they're grilled to hell or heavily seasoned.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just for a different opinion, try your own yogurt.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Does anyone have a go-to flan recipe for the sous vide?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

TheCog posted:

Does anyone have a go-to flan recipe for the sous vide?

I used ChefSteps recipe for both flan and creme brûlée and it turned out great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
had the porchetta last night and HOLY gently caress it was good. my wife was very skeptical going into it, thinking it was going to be too fatty but she liked it

skipped the bag joose poo poo and made gravy from pork stock

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

had the porchetta last night and HOLY gently caress it was good. my wife was very skeptical going into it, thinking it was going to be too fatty but she liked it

skipped the bag joose poo poo and made gravy from pork stock

Just wait until you make a sandwich with the leftovers, it's the meal that keeps on giving

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

TheQuietWilds posted:

I used ChefSteps recipe for both flan and creme brûlée and it turned out great.

Perhaps a silly question, can you puddle creme brulee in a large canning jar, then immediately transfer the (still hot) mixture into serving sized ramekins?

The motivation here is that the small canning jars are still awfully big for a rich desert.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’ve found the small jars to be just about the right size volume. It’s a little less than you’d get in a restaurant it seems, but not quite enough to share either. Those are the 4oz jars.

Or you could go the route of the flan my favorite taqueria sells and have it be large enough for 3 people, but you just don’t want to share.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

gaj70 posted:

Perhaps a silly question, can you puddle creme brulee in a large canning jar, then immediately transfer the (still hot) mixture into serving sized ramekins?

The motivation here is that the small canning jars are still awfully big for a rich desert.

There are some recipes that ask for making it in a bag then divide it into portions and cool. So you probably could do a large jar, but remember the 4" rule. I just bought some decorative small "pickling jars" and use those to puddle and serve individual portions.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hopper posted:

There are some recipes that ask for making it in a bag then divide it into portions and cool. So you probably could do a large jar, but remember the 4" rule. I just bought some decorative small "pickling jars" and use those to puddle and serve individual portions.

Whats the 4" rule?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

Whats the 4" rule?

Thickness for sous vide safety. Any thicker and the inside won’t get host enough fast enough to be sure to be safe.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Thickness for sous vide safety. Any thicker and the inside won’t get host enough fast enough to be sure to be safe.

Oh, that makes sense. Is it 4" from side to side of the container, or 4" from the centre to the outside?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gaj70 posted:

just buy a 12pack of these guys, i think the chefsteps recipe will fill at least 8 of them

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Mason-Quilted-Jelly-Bands/dp/B00B80TK2K

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

just buy a 12pack of these guys, i think the chefsteps recipe will fill at least 8 of them

This is exactly what I use for all the chefsteps pudding/custard recipes and they work great

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is that the case for custard the same way it is for meat? I thought the thermal mass of the food would matter a lot.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Subjunctive posted:

Is that the case for custard the same way it is for meat? I thought the thermal mass of the food would matter a lot.

If anything, it'd be more true for custard, which can get outside contaminants mixed into them than for meat, which will only have contaminants on the surface (not counting ground meat, porcetta, etc.).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

Oh, that makes sense. Is it 4" from side to side of the container, or 4" from the centre to the outside?

Diameter, total thickness, girth

Subjunctive posted:

If you can find thermal diffusion coefficients or equations for different kinds of meats and dairies, go hog wild. I’d assume it’s fungible so long as there isn’t some kind of air or rock salt gap.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
It doesn't do custard but this MIT meat cooking calculator is fun and educational

http://up.csail.mit.edu/science-of-cooking/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Subjunctive posted:

Jan posted:

If anything, it'd be more true for custard, which can get outside contaminants mixed into them than for meat, which will only have contaminants on the surface (not counting ground meat, porcetta, etc.).

I'm mostly spitballing here, but presumably the 4" rule doesn't really take into account the cooking temperature? The custard recipe I found in a quick search showed 176f as the cooking temp. Eggs only need like 140f for a few minutes to be safe and even a pretty thick container of custard isn't going to hold a 35f temperature differential for long enough to be dangerous. Additionally, if you're cooking custard in a soft container, you could just pull the bag out and squeeze it a bit to mix it up and equalize the temperature.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

I thought to get a pack of them for puddled egg bites, but saw a review about corroding/rusting lids.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’ve had those and tons of mason jars forever. Yes, the rings might start to rust a little, but it takes a long time and usually only happens on the ones exposed to acidic things I’ve jarred. Tomatoes, pickles, etc. They don’t seem to care about hot water at all.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Alright, trying a chicken breast sous vide. 145f for 1h45m sound right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Alright, trying a chicken breast sous vide. 145f for 1h45m sound right?

Yes. It's certainly on the safe side. If it gets mushy, go for 1h next time.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Well, did 145 for 1h~50m. Tested the thickest part with a thermometer and it read the right temp for what I had it set to so hopefully it was at temp for long enough. Tasted good, was moist, but definitely had a bit of "is this cooked I've never had chicken this texture before"

Is that a common reaction or did I mess up and undercook it?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Well, did 145 for 1h~50m. Tested the thickest part with a thermometer and it read the right temp for what I had it set to so hopefully it was at temp for long enough. Tasted good, was moist, but definitely had a bit of "is this cooked I've never had chicken this texture before"

Nope, that's it. I tend to either put it in chicken salad or cook it further in something else after that point. Mass chicken breast to 145 is just my meal prep starting point.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Pork and steak are excellent at lower temperatures, but I find chicken way too slimy until much more conventional ones. I usually go for boneless chicken thighs at 165 then finish with a sear. It still comes out much better than oven, and I personally think thighs have much more flavor than breasts

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yeah, when I had my dad try SV chicken breast the first time, he spit it out because he thought it was still raw (due to the texture).

What you had was fully-cooked, 100% safe to eat, etc; it's just that typically by the time you hit that point in the center in a pan, the rest of it is much more done.

I think if you went for that time at 160, it'd have a much more conventional mouthfeel (while still being more tender and moist than you're probably used to)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The first thing I tried sous vide was ribeye. The second thing was hamburgers. The hamburgers blew me away. Anova so far has been super worth it, I rarely cook without at least one sv’d ingredient now

Though my fave is still salmon. So easy to gently caress up otherwise.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

The first thing I tried sous vide was ribeye. The second thing was hamburgers. The hamburgers blew me away. Anova so far has been super worth it, I rarely cook without at least one sv’d ingredient now

Though my fave is still salmon. So easy to gently caress up otherwise.

I'm going to surprise my wife with sv salmon - do you have a go to recipie?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just add some lime and roasted brussels sprouts for veg, you can probs get something better online

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can’t find the recipe I used on the phone, but “salmon mi-cuit” is something you can really only do with SV. It’s like a texture part way between smoked salmon and pâté, kinda? I love it, maybe even better cold with dilled sour cream or something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zarin posted:

I think if you went for that time at 160, it'd have a much more conventional mouthfeel (while still being more tender and moist than you're probably used to)

You would. My wife prefers chicken breast sous vide to 165.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just puddle it at ~130*F for 30 minutes to an hour (seasoned however you want), then transfer to a hot non-stick filled with butter/oil to sear the skin. Baste the top all the while and you end up with a perfect piece of medium-rare salmon.