Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only plan you need in case of the death of your spouse is whether youll make your new stopgap spouse wear a wig or instead dye their hair the same color as the deceased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Hey, remember that one post about how OP's mom and her church wanted to rehabilitate the reputation of a particular hate symbol? Well, it didn't go well.

UPDATE: My (25F) mom (45F) is part of a church group that is doing something that makes me feel uncomfortable to the point where I no longer want to see my mom

quote:

I'm sitting in bed on my tablet writing this update right now and idk how to link the original post unless I am on an actual computer, so I will edit in the morning to add a link to the original post. Again a warning because this has a lot to do with hate symbols. Basically my mom's church group is trying to "take back the swastika".

So the day after I made the original post I made the decision to not sit around and do nothing. I googled local synagogues in case there were any near by and it turns out there were like 5 in my moms neighbourhood alone. So I called each one and asked to meet with a Rabbi. I was able to meet with 4/5. I figured that they at least deserve a warning in case it turns out to be something more sinister then an ignorant church group. I was immediately rushed out of the first 2, they wanted nothing to do with me after I told them what was going on. Which I understand, I really hope they didn't see me as threatening and I kinda regret going a little bit. I was half way done though and I decided to just stick it out. The last 2 were so understanding it was a little bit painful. They said they appreciated the warning. And one of the Rabbi's mentioned he was going to get in contact with the head of the church.

The whole thing gave me so much anxiety.

I sent my mom a long message about how I felt about the whole thing. I basically said that I have seen enough and know enough to not be able to condone what is happening. If she ever decides to stop with the movement then we might be able to work on our relationship but until then she is not welcome in my home or my shop. I still have yet to hear back but I honestly am not sure I expect to.

I also decided to talk to the reverend of my mom's church (in a public setting because he freaks me put since they decided to start this whole thing). He gave me the whole "letting hate win" speech. I gave up. Then they linked and thanked my bakery on their website. I never gave them the cupcakes they wanted for their nazi bake sale but it doesn't matter because their website basically says I did (not outright but it literally says "Thanks to bakery name for her continued support of our charities" with a link to my bakery website.

Then the "bring back the swastika" campaign kind of blew up in my city and not in a good way. The church group has been getting a ton of (totally justified imo) hate, and by association my bakery has too. 3 times in the past couple months I have had Nazi spray painted across my bakery.

Most of my business is from out of town so it hasn't affected my business too much yet but I had to let my only employee go because I didn't want her caught up in the hate. I also retained a lawyer who is working like hell to get my bakery name off the church website and help me navigate the mess of all this. So far it is contained to my hometown as far as I know but it is getting big and I am afraid it might end up on national news soon.

My bakery has only been open for 8 months and there is already a real possibility of me losing it because of my mother's choices. I feel like I made all the right choices and am still the one getting screwed over.

I haven't talked to my mother in months and I honestly don't intend to. The longer it goes on the more it seems malicious instead of just ignorant. Otherwise why continue the campaign after the amount of hate it got? So yeah. That's my update. I expect any other future updates will be in the news soon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Barudak posted:

"April Moon", I whisper as she goes under
Pro reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEwFhB9WTk

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Barudak posted:

Dont hyphenate the kids last name, problem solved.

I have to say I am really against hyphenated names. Either jeep your surname or take the other partners, but don't mash them together.

Why?

Because it is just kicking the problem down the road for your kid.

If Mr John Smith and Jane Doe get married and become John and Jane Smith-Doe, firstly you've had to argue about whether you are Smith-Doe or Doe-Smith (or you are bother the former for the husband and the latter for the wife which defeats the object of mashing your names into one).

Then when little Dave Smith-Doe grows up, he meets Julie Mason-Tailor, and wants to marry her.

What does he do then?

Does he become Dave Smith-Doe-Mason-Tailor?

Honestly I think there are three acceptable options:

1) Take your spouses (male or female) surname, kids have the same surname.

2) Keep your surnames but the kids are all one surname of one of the parents

3) Create your own new surname, breaking ties to your old families and declare your new house of (NAME) will stand for a thousand years. Create a flag with a family crest and hang it up. Declare inter-family war when your kids do this to you in turn.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 14, 2020

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Found the gamer.

EEeeehhhhhh. I'm on the borderline between NTA and ESH, myself. I may just be reading into it, but anyone whose first idea is to break your poo poo is likely to be a lovely, abusive person in other ways, as well.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Kitchner posted:

I have to say I am really against hyphenated names. Either jeep your surname or take the other partners, but don't mash them together.

Why?

If Mr John Smith and Jane Doe get married and become John and Jane Smith-Doe, firstly you've had to argue about whether you are Smith-Doe or Doe-Smith (or you are bother the former for the husband and the latter for the wife which defeats the object of mashing your names into one).

Then when little Dave Smith-Doe grows up, he meets Julie Mason-Tailor, and wants to marry her.

What does he do then?

3) Create your own new surname, breaking ties to your old families and declare your new house of (NAME) will stand for a thousand years. Create a flag with a family crest and hang it up. Declare inter-family war when your kids do this to you in turn.

Don't you just take the first name of both hyphenated names or something like that? So smith-doe and mason-taylor would have kids with the last name mason-smith or smith-mason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Problem Sleuth posted:

Don't you just take the first name of both hyphenated names or something like that? So smith-doe and mason-taylor would have kids with the last name mason-smith or smith-mason.

Either that or keep your surnames and give the kid the one surname of the parent of the matching gender

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Kitchner posted:

Why?

What does he do then?

The Spanish world has had it figured out for a while now. It's traditionally father-mother, drop the mother in your kid's names.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Either that or keep your surnames and give the kid the one surname of the parent of the matching gender

Or zip the surnames together, so if you have Doe and Smith the child would be named Sdmiothe

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In some rather presitigious british circles you keep last names of families that died out due to marriage so theres some upper cruster whose last name is like Clegg-Grimsball-Fanshaw-Clegg because its two different Clegg clans worth noting forever.

Personally do whatever you feel about names but my personal recommendation is of course naming your children identically to a famous rich persons kid in hopes theyll be able to comp free hotel stays due to system errors when theyre older

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Except it was a tab on the budget he sent to her to look at. If it was either of those I can’t imagine someone that meticulous would be like “whoopsie, did that on the same file I’m sharing with her”. More likely he figured that she should do her own budget for if he’s out of the picture instead of making a budget for her.

I got the impression it was buried under other tabs, and given her admission she doesn't usually look too closely, he probably thought she wouldn't notice it.

Someone that meticulous could just as easily add context to the budget so it doesn't look like he's weighing pros and cons of separating. Or talk to her about it sometime.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kitchner posted:

Why?

What does he do then?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

In some rather presitigious british circles you keep last names of families that died out due to marriage so theres some upper cruster whose last name is like Clegg-Grimsball-Fanshaw-Clegg because its two different Clegg clans worth noting forever.

Personally do whatever you feel about names but my personal recommendation is of course naming your children identically to a famous rich persons kid in hopes theyll be able to comp free hotel stays due to system errors when theyre older

Use the surname "Null" so you can tie computers in knots and hope you don't end up like this guy

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Do what my upper crust British ancestors did and name the entire family after the tragically dead patriarch such that instead of being the "smiths" you're now the "john-smiths" which surely won't make life slightly more complicated for all of your descendants 100 years on.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People can do whatever they want with their names. It doesn't affect anyone but them.

The only time it is annoying is when it makes my spreadsheet columns really wide.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People can do whatever they want with their names. It doesn't affect anyone but them.

The only time it is annoying is when it makes my spreadsheet columns really wide.

bruh just let it get cut off

just look at it down there, cut off

laughing at you

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Problem Sleuth posted:

So basically what you're saying is dad, because you and mum couldn't agree on a surname for me, I have to choose between having four names in my surname, or picking a parent and just getting rid of their surname?

This is why I said it's just kicking the can down the road. John Smith and Mary Doe keeping their surnames and calling their kid Tommy Smith is basically the same as calling them Tommy Smith-Doe until they get married and they become Tommy Smith-Tailor. Yet you're basically making your child which family surname they want to keep and which one potentially gets consigned to the history books as it were.

Bonster posted:

The Spanish world has had it figured out for a while now. It's traditionally father-mother, drop the mother in your kid's names.

Still gives preference to the male lineage, which is why if you do Spanish family history you still trace up the male line and all the female lines just branch off.

Any solution that involves "just drop one name later on down the line" is basically "my partner and me don't want to decide this so I'm going to make my kid decide".

And yes, the fact this annoys me is totally irrational.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its why you pick a new joint name based on a shared passion, like Eatsass

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Barudak posted:

Its why you pick a new joint name based on a shared passion, like Eatsass

Exactly. You then invite your parents around and declare that you're breaking their lineage to establish your own, unveil the flag with the new House of Eatass family crest and go on at length how yours will be a dynasty that lasts a thousand years.

You also insist that your new family motto of Carpe Ano will be emblazoned on your clothes.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 14, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Jim Twolastnames

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kitchner posted:

Exactly. You then invite your parents around and declare that you're breaking their lineage to establish your own, unveil the flag with the new House of Eatass family crest and go on at length how yours will be a dynasty that lasts a thousand years.

My new last name Analvore and my large Anal Vore coming out party are raising a lot of questions answered by my Anal Vore coming-out party.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sister [19f] drunkenly revealed some embarrassing info about me [21m] around friends.

quote:

We were having drinks with friends at the regular hangout bar. We were having a discussion about something I can't remember, something about genders or something.

I said to my sister "men have penises, right?", and she said "well, I've never seen one personally". A few people laughed and I said "OK, I didn't need to know that, but OK", and as I was continuing to make my point she said "wait! I've seen yours!".

Then she started talking about how we used to bathe together when we were like 5 and 7, and she used to always try to look at my genitals because she thought they were weird and wanted to touch them. I told her in a joking way "OK, can you STFU now so I can say what I was saying?".

Then she blurted out "YOU wanted to touch mine, too!". Our friends were collectively laughing their asses off at the whole thing but I was extremely embarrassed. She revealed other stuff about how she had always wanted to kiss me until she was like 8.

A friend started calling me something like "p*ssy grabber" and it stuck for the rest of the night.

When we came back (I live with my sister) she said tonight wasn't my lucky night if wanted to go "overtime" because she was too drunk but maybe later and laughed.

So, I was utterly roasted (even though my sister revealed more creepy stuff about herself than me) and I may have a new nickname.

I tried to talk seriously with her but she was too drunk and acting way too dumb.

What should I do about this? I hate it when people reveal personal info about me without my permission, and this was just a whole new level of wrong for me.

How to handle this?

tl;dr: Sister revealed very embarrassing stuff about us and somehow I'm the only one getting roasted for it. What should I do?

The responses are mostly along the lines of "Dude, it's no big deal, learn to laugh at yourself."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One unexpected problem with a hyphenated name is insurance. My friend had her identity questioned because she has a hyphenated first name, and by the time she got it straightened out the company declared that she was now ineligible for health insurance by them making her miss the deadline.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This man is insane and his gf needs to ditch him for someone who doesn't try to minmax finances https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1228293908859322368

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DaveWoo posted:

Sister [19f] drunkenly revealed some embarrassing info about me [21m] around friends.

The responses are mostly along the lines of "Dude, it's no big deal, learn to laugh at yourself."

that "overtime" line is incredibly creepy, assuming this wasn't typed one-handed (always a possibility in these cases) i think this dude should probably not live with his sister anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Another problem with a hyphenated name is that some people just don't give a gently caress, even if they're taking in important information. My ex-wife and I combined our last names with a hyphen when we got married and we both regularly had issues with paying bills, insurance, memberships, etc where the person at the beginning decided "Who gives a poo poo? I'm not typing out the rest of this" and only put down the first half of the hyphenated surname. I almost got a ticket for lack of insurance at one point because the card was sent a few days prior with half my last name missing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

This man is insane and his gf needs to ditch him for someone who doesn't try to minmax finances https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1228293908859322368

Jesus gently caress, this is worse than the people on /r/personalfinance or whatever who thought that eating anything more than a subsistance diet of rice and beans makes you an overspender.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tesseraction posted:

That has to be fake, doesn't it? "We could be out of debt if you stopped eating avocado" is exactly what a dumbass boomer thinks would solve modern financial problems. Really hope it's not someone who would genuinely advocate their loved one work 80 hours a week and live on cheese sandwiches for the sake of their insane budget.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

DaveWoo posted:

Dude, it's no big deal. Your sister wanting to gently caress you is perfectly normal in America. Chill out.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

When my hippy aunt and uncle got married in the early 80's they each took the other's last name using hyphens, and so the kids grew up with a hyphenated last name. My cousin got married a few years back to a guy with a regular but four-syllable last name, and they did the exact same thing resulting in a new two-hyphen, eight-syllable last name. It was literally about 25 characters long.

The Christmas cards we've gotten from them recently use a shorter portmanteau of the three names that's much easier to handle, not sure if it's an official name change or a simplification they use for correspondence.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

That has to be fake, doesn't it? "We could be out of debt if you stopped eating avocado" is exactly what a dumbass boomer thinks would solve modern financial problems. Really hope it's not someone who would genuinely advocate their loved one work 80 hours a week and live on cheese sandwiches for the sake of their insane budget.

Also, the debt is medical debt that she took on voluntarily for her dad's cancer treatment. Thanks for doing the right thing, honey, you can have an extra slice of cucumber on your sandwich tonight.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

When my hippy aunt and uncle got married in the early 80's they each took the other's last name using hyphens, and so the kids grew up with a hyphenated last name. My cousin got married a few years back to a guy with a regular but four-syllable last name, and they did the exact same thing resulting in a new two-hyphen, eight-syllable last name. It was literally about 25 characters long.

The Christmas cards we've gotten from them recently use a shorter portmanteau of the three names that's much easier to handle, not sure if it's an official name change or a simplification they use for correspondence.

Everyone should just Portmanteau their names together, great idea.

Jennifer Lawrence and Cooke Maroney = Mr & Mrs Loney | Marence

Sophie Tuner and Joe Jonas = Mr & Mrs Turnas | Joner

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

With the ubiquity of storage computing power we should just convert all last names into a hexadecimal string representing our exponentially increasing last names. Hello I'm Tomfoolery Qb3OylFn4x8Eg855C5RT55x2QM32tRBBd4d, nice to meet you!

EDIT: Thinking about this more, we can store significantly more information in our last names such as our social security number, best friends, job, annual salary, and favorite color. Our currently non-unique and non-descriptive last names are basically useless trash.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tomfoolery posted:

With the ubiquity of storage computing power we should just convert all last names into a hexadecimal string representing our exponentially increasing last names. Hello I'm Tomfoolery Qb3OylFn4x8Eg855C5RT55x2QM32tRBBd4d, nice to meet you!

Don't doxx my future child's surname please.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kitchner posted:

Any solution that involves "just drop one name later on down the line" is basically "my partner and me don't want to decide this so I'm going to make my kid decide".

And yes, the fact this annoys me is totally irrational.

I vaguely remember seeing an article or a post long ago about kids who were having this problem, and supposedly most of the parents were like "pfffft lol we don't care, we figured marriage would be a dead institution by now anyway" or something like that. Maybe I'm misremembering the "dead institution" bit but I do definitely remember the "fuckit, not my problem" attitude from the parents.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

That's what it seems to be, though, someone who bought that bullshit and has become insufferable as a result.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I vaguely remember seeing an article or a post long ago about kids who were having this problem, and supposedly most of the parents were like "pfffft lol we don't care, we figured marriage would be a dead institution by now anyway" or something like that. Maybe I'm misremembering the "dead institution" bit but I do definitely remember the "fuckit, not my problem" attitude from the parents.

Just another example of how Gen X and the Baby Boomers are the worst generations ever.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's some comments from the OP in the Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/such_hockey_wow/status/1228301220311425024

Straight White Shark posted:

Also, the debt is medical debt that she took on voluntarily for her dad's cancer treatment. Thanks for doing the right thing, honey, you can have an extra slice of cucumber on your sandwich tonight.

Which she put on a credit card. That means an APR of anywhere from 16-26% or even higher, which isn't ideal.

That doesn't mean she has to start working 80 hour weeks though. If she can qualify for a card with an introductory 0% APR she might have to add the fee to the balance transferred, but be able to make payments directly to the principal with 0% interest for a 1-2 years depending on the offer. There are options for paying down debt other than grinding yourself into dust and eating gruel.

Either way the guy has Witch of Wallstreet/money hoarding tendencies and sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to live with. Once the debts are paid costs will have to be cut to save up for a down payment on the house. Once the house is purchased it's time to make further cuts to pay off the mortgage. And honey, if we both work 120 hour weeks for the next 13 years we can own the house outright!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wait wait wait, so y'all DO give a poo poo about last names?

:psyduck: