Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I, for one, look forward to the new Cadillac Blackwing CUV Hybrid with new fourth row seating and First In Initial Quality from JD Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

We spent a shitload of money developing this fantastic new engine, but we don't plan to use it in anything but that CT6 that was end-of-life. Oh, and we thought the name was cool, so we'll just use that (and not the engine) in a bunch of other cars that are unrelated and undeserving of the name. GM!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't understand, was it ever available for sale or not? If yes, it's going to be a collectors item, guaranteed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nitrox posted:

I don't understand, was it ever available for sale or not? If yes, it's going to be a collectors item, guaranteed.
Yeah the CT6-V was for sale very briefly.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Cadillac seems all hosed up. The ATS platform had great handling, but they crippled it with a lousy interior and weak powertrain options. No Cadillac should come with an overstrained turbo 4, and the NA V6 doesn't have enough torque or power. To get the decent engines you've got to go all the way to the extremely costly V series. Why doesn't Cadillac make a compact/midsize RWD sport-ish sedan with a torquey, 350+ HP turbo V6 as standard equipment, and a decent interior, somewhere around the 45-50k price point? Basically, the ATS-V is what the "standard" version needed to be, for 10 or 20k less.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 13, 2020

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I dunno poo poo about old chevy trucks but this thing is cool and I wish I was starting some hipster lumber delivery business

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/valley-village-chevy-pickup-c50/7068401351.html

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The fact that they even have a turbo'd Ecotec Cadillac just reeks of them literally never learning anything from the Cimarron that made the scales fall from the public's eyes and transformed Cadillac from "prestige car" into "fancier GM parts bin trash". What do they even own Buick for if they have buzzy I4's in Cadillacs?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I can't imagine how much money they dumped into the CT6.

Heck they created AL castings so advanced that most body shops couldn't even fix them at the time.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I think they should reshuffle the alphanumeric names again. Third time's the charm, I'm sure the C6T S-Sport will really resonate with the Cadillac lifestyle or whatever soulless marketing buzzwords they want to vomit up before throwing in the towel and churning out more 4-cylinder CUVs like everyone else.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Door Frame posted:

The fact that they even have a turbo'd Ecotec Cadillac just reeks of them literally never learning anything from the Cimarron that made the scales fall from the public's eyes and transformed Cadillac from "prestige car" into "fancier GM parts bin trash". What do they even own Buick for if they have buzzy I4's in Cadillacs?

The LTG is a decent engine IMO and the newer version two liter turbo is slightly more noisy but it's alright. That said, :airquote: enthusiasts :airquote: don't buy cars new so gently caress it, why give it a special engine if the average person isn't going to give a poo poo anyway?

Comparing anything recent to the Cimarron is disingenuous at best. Have you driven any of these engines or are you like the billion other folks that just like to poo poo on GM and use the "parts bin :lol:" phrase? I swear it's like playing bingo with that and "bean counters." Audi does the same poo poo using VW engines but for some reason that seems to escape people.

Darchangel posted:

We spent a shitload of money developing this fantastic new engine, but we don't plan to use it in anything but that CT6 that was end-of-life. Oh, and we thought the name was cool, so we'll just use that (and not the engine) in a bunch of other cars that are unrelated and undeserving of the name. GM!

GM is going full electric in the near future (~10 years or less, supposedly), I don't see why this is hard to understand given the current plan. It literally doesn't have a future along with many of the other current offerings.

Also this is the CL thread, the gently caress happened here

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 13, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

"But it's alright."

Yeah, that should be Cadillac's new slogan.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I drove it in an SUV with an auto. I think that's as positive of a review that you'll get from me for any engine in that case. :v: I'm not trying to sell cars, just call people on their bullshit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What bullshit? I think 99.9% that hang around AI poo poo on every brand and the cars we own.

At the same time we know GM has a shitload of good engineers and crank out great things. C8 for example.

I think the point is Cadillac doesn't know wtf it should be.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

What do they even own Buick for if they have buzzy I4's in Cadillacs?

Aren't Buicks super popular in China as a luxury brand? I thought I read that somewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boxen posted:

Aren't Buicks super popular in China as a luxury brand? I thought I read that somewhere.

I believe that was true when they killed off Saturn and Pontiac but not really anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Number_6 posted:

Cadillac seems all hosed up. The ATS platform had great handling, but they crippled it with a lousy interior and weak powertrain options. No Cadillac should come with an overstrained turbo 4, and the NA V6 doesn't have enough torque or power. To get the decent engines you've got to go all the way to the extremely costly V series. Why doesn't Cadillac make a compact/midsize RWD sport-ish sedan with a torquey, 350+ HP turbo V6 as standard equipment, and a decent interior, somewhere around the 45-50k price point? Basically, the ATS-V is what the "standard" version needed to be, for 10 or 20k less.

The Blackwing was available in the non-V CT6. The V had more power and such. But of course, both are now discontinued.

Suburban Dad posted:

GM is going full electric in the near future (~10 years or less, supposedly), I don't see why this is hard to understand given the current plan. It literally doesn't have a future along with many of the other current offerings.

That still doesn't change that they spent a bunch of money on a thing they used briefly, then not.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Suburban Dad posted:

The LTG is a decent engine IMO and the newer version two liter turbo is slightly more noisy but it's alright. That said, :airquote: enthusiasts :airquote: don't buy cars new so gently caress it, why give it a special engine if the average person isn't going to give a poo poo anyway?

Comparing anything recent to the Cimarron is disingenuous at best. Have you driven any of these engines or are you like the billion other folks that just like to poo poo on GM and use the "parts bin :lol:" phrase? I swear it's like playing bingo with that and "bean counters." Audi does the same poo poo using VW engines but for some reason that seems to escape people.

Also this is the CL thread, the gently caress happened here

My point is more "keep your poo poo compartmentalized so people don't see the badge engineering" than "this is as lovely as the worst caddy". Give your prestige brand exclusive products with exclusive options that feel exclusive, otherwise, why even pretend that it's an exclusive product? Or maybe don't, no one wants a Northstar in their life. I know this is all cultural and they're aiming at the Chinese market with their Gen 3 Ecotecs, but for the American market, a I4 feels at odds with the image that GM tries to keep up with their marketing. Unless, maybe, you do something unique with it, like Volvo's twincharged hybrid Polestar engines. Or my fantasy of a turbocharged, oversquare, 2.0L V6 to meet the cultural/economic demands of both the American and Chinese markets with the same engine...

The Audi comparison is at least as disingenuous as my own reference. They're closer to Buick in the corporate structure, since VAG owns much more prestigious brands, like Bentley and Porsche. The better comparison would've been the VW Phaeton making the Continental feel like cheap garbage as soon as they got their hands on the Bentley brand

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you guys know that all of the ATS' competition used turbo four cylinders right

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hello I am a young professional and I am never in a million years buying a Cadillac. Give me the Audi and BMW, please.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Hello I am a young professional and I am never in a million years buying a Cadillac. Give me the Audi and BMW, please.
Cadillacs are for olds duh

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Cadillacs are for "working class"-rich.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Whatever you can say about Chrysler, the cheapest engine they have is a 3.6L V6

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

:wtc: they don't even have anything to compete in this segment....Also, more = better in your mind?

The more I come in AI, the more :yikes:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Octopus Magic posted:

Cadillacs are for "working class"-rich.

Krakkles posted:

Cadillacs are for olds duh

drat, got me on both counts (40 is old?). I tried to talk the woman into getting a used ATS or CTS instead of a new Mazda 6. "No. I hate Cadillac. They're for old people." I do admit that I like the Mazda 6 though, but still.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Door Frame posted:

uhhhhhhhh what

are you just like not counting all the Fiat-derived turbo fours they put in everything under the sun

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

uhhhhhhhh what

are you just like not counting all the Fiat-derived turbo fours they put in everything under the sun

Jeep was charging $1k extra for that motor in the Wrangler and the V6 was standard.

No extra charge for it now, but technically the V6 was the cheaper option :v:

[e] also: JUST DO IT.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 14, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jeep was charging $1k extra for that motor in the Wrangler and the V6 was standard.

No extra charge for it now, but technically the V6 was the cheaper option :v:

[e] also: JUST DO IT.

3600 bucks? Those rims must not be included.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'm feeling argumentative and derailing poo poo for the sake of. Let's look at craigslist stuff instead

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Door Frame posted:

I can swap a JK's radiator in less than 90 minutes. I have way too much practice. "Cheap" is right.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godholio posted:

I can swap a JK's radiator in less than 90 minutes. I have way too much practice. "Cheap" is right.

Casting sand issues? I heard it fucks the heater core too, that's probably a fun job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It does, and it's not. I've only done that once (at about 40,000 miles), and the heater lasted less than half the winter before blowing cold again. The dash and console have to come out, the intake manifold has to come off, AC lines evacuated/recharged, and actually getting the box containing the heater core off the dash itself is probably the biggest pain of the whole thing.

At one point I installed an inline filter in one of the heater lines, and had to clean the muck out every month or two. It obviously wasn't a fine enough mesh, though.

gently caress Chrysler.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'd say transmission fragility if I had to guess. You could get a 5 speed behind the 305s but not the 350s. :shrug:

This. Remember, the T56 didn't exist yet and 3g Camaros had the big bar that braced the trans to the diff so they couldn't just throw any box in it, they had to design/manufacture a new tailshaft housing for whatever trans went into those cars. They didn't have enough volume in the manuals to use 2 boxes and it's more important to have manual coverage in the hilariously underpowered v6 cars, where the t5 worked well, than the SBCs... and what box would they have even used? No American company made a strong 5 speed until well into the 90s and GM had no supply channels open with ZF, Aisin or Getrag at the time.

Even an 80s 305 can turn a T5 into gear tooth stew pretty drat easily, a 350 is lol

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

NumbersMatching320 posted:

This. Remember, the T56 didn't exist yet and 3g Camaros had the big bar that braced the trans to the diff so they couldn't just throw any box in it, they had to design/manufacture a new tailshaft housing for whatever trans went into those cars. They didn't have enough volume in the manuals to use 2 boxes and it's more important to have manual coverage in the hilariously underpowered v6 cars, where the t5 worked well, than the SBCs... and what box would they have even used? No American company made a strong 5 speed until well into the 90s and GM had no supply channels open with ZF, Aisin or Getrag at the time.

Even an 80s 305 can turn a T5 into gear tooth stew pretty drat easily, a 350 is lol

ZFs started in the Corvette in 89 I think. The other problem is the rear ends were garbage.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

A Miata that will pull left, no matter what:

Time to see what the "invested" keyword dredges up:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Reading into it the only box strong enough to deal with the 350 was the T10 4-speed. From what I understand the C4 was initially supposed to have a 5 speed Manual but that idea was squashed for whatever reason in favour of that 4+3 contraption.

Perhaps they could have stuck with the 4 speed manual for the 350 Camaros and Firebirds (it wasn’t unheard of for more powerful cars - the Corvette and 911 Turbo used them until 1988) I’d be willing to bet that the take rate for manuals would be higher than the V6 cars.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Over $5k in engine work on that Ranger V6? Are there even $5k worth of market parts available for the Cologne V6?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I mean, if you imported a set of DOHC Cosworth heads...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Steely Dad posted:

Over $5k in engine work on that Ranger V6? Are there even $5k worth of market parts available for the Cologne V6?

A reman long block is about 2 grand.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Somehow lost the after in aftermarket. Anyway, yeah, I mean, people build serious racing Limas, so why not Colognes? But one look at that truck and I assume that either the motor is totally stock or the owner bought a 302 out of a wrecked Fox body to cram in there. The Venn diagram of “Panama City-based owners of flamed Rangers with Harley-Davidson windshield decals” and “people who’d import thousands of dollars in European racing parts for Ford V6s” can’t have much overlap.

(I am putting way more thought into this than it deserves.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/d/canton-pontiac-safari-wagon-full-size/7076703389.html

Wouldn't pay $7K, but I'm shocked one of these wagons still exists in this condition.