Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The brightness and darkness levels seem pretty good on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Doc M posted:

It didn't appear nearly that dark on my screen. It was kinda dark, yes, but the signs were still perfectly readable.

Might be just me, then. I have a lot of a blue light reduction settings on and I forget how much that can throw off the color balance.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Generally looks good, though a pretty ugly audio desync is thrown up about 30 min into the video.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure the game just does that for that dialogue. I'll take another look at the raw video. One thing I keep meaning to do is move the Control installation files from my USB drive back to system memory while doing the LP. That might help some of the load times and texture loading issues.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I'm working on a screenshot LP of FE12 with a weird self-imposed challenge, so I made some test posts for the intro post and first prologue

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156038
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156041

Any feedback would be appreciated even if it is :justpost:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

weso12 posted:

I'm working on a screenshot LP of FE12 with a weird self-imposed challenge, so I made some test posts for the intro post and first prologue

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156038
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156041

Any feedback would be appreciated even if it is :justpost:

In order of most to least noticeable:

• It seems that you'd transcribe dialogue like this:
    : My first line!
    My second line!
    Now I have more lines than 90% of FE11!

I think it'd be more readable if you just combine the lines like this:
    : My first line! My second line! Now I have more lines than 90% of FE11!
  • Looks like you've resized the screenshots 1.5x. Resizing them to 2x instead (without resampling) makes the pictures less blurry. For example:

If you're using an emulator, make sure to get the screenshots at DS native size before enlarging it instead of getting a large size and then making it smaller.
  • You made a few they/their/they're and then/than mistakes. I only put it up here because those kinds of mistakes (along with its/it's) are my pet peeves.
  • Sometimes you let your sentences run off with commas. That's just me being a grammar nazi, but it's especially noticeable on this one:

quote:

Knights are the tanks of the game, they use Lances, which are the Mario of Melee weapons, they have medium accuracy and power, that fail at being tanks because they can't reach the front lines, and, on harder difficulties get doubled when they do.
  • Some other typos not really worth elaborating.
  • You don't have to use ":" after every portrait. You can, but I think not using it will save a lot of time.
  • Apparently you're hosting the pictures on imgur. Most LPers here use lpix. It doesn't actually matter where you're hosting it, so you can safely ignore this part.
Sorry if I sound like a pedantic rear end in a top hat with the last few points. I like the idea of that LP.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 7, 2020

vilk
Dec 21, 2019

In addition to the above, all of which is good advice, please put a blank line between... everything. It's easier to read when your text and images aren't bumping into each other all over the place.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I reworked the first prologue chapter, I tried to fix all the typos I could (though I am actively bad at noticing my own typos), and basically had to redo all the screenshots (I stupidly didn't save the original when I resized them first time). I added lines between everything (except when showing the growth rates or that one time, just because it looked better to be without a blank line). Let me know if anything else can be improved.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156050

vilk
Dec 21, 2019

It looks much more inviting now!

Your images seem heavier than they need to be, though - comparing y our select difficulty image with 1234567890num's, yours is close to twice as heavy. This is 106kb, but when i download it and just opened and re-save it with irfanview, it became 20kb lighter. How are you creating these images?

It's not really a big deal, 100kb images aren't an issue in this day and age, but you could drop the weight of your updates by a noticeable amount if you just ran them through irfanview's batch conversion function. (If you don't have irfanview, it's free and very useful!)

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This is me and my friend's first attempt at a let's play video in about two years. We weren't sober and it didn't turn out great but I am interested in continuing it, if anyone likes our disjointed horseshit commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8GQ6c8csGA&list=PLsWhKkcX6-5nEQW0wb96233JSe5DN0TaL

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQd1WKktkVo

lmao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Man, having heavy nostalgia to when people would post videos about how not mad they were at getting Retsupuraed :allears: Even nails the meandering and the production quality of 2009

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

can't believe how long it's been since richard gamingo. this is a nice trip down memory lane!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

biosterous posted:

can't believe how long it's been since richard gamingo. this is a nice trip down memory lane!

:rip: Richard Gamingo. His love for piss was greater than his love for Something Awful :(

He will be forever missed.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

very cool op, but have u tried out auto-ducking?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FutureFriend posted:

very cool op, but have u tried out auto-ducking?

Only 16 more hours and we may find out!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Mod clearly wronged poor Wes here. He didn't post someone else's lovely drunk four-year-old LP, he posted his own lovely drunk four-year-old LP!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

I'm most likely finished posting on the forums. I want to keep the account because some funny people and interesting poo poo has come from that website, but jesus christ is it full of a bunch of christian mother mentality snobs enforcing their stupid loving rules that I don't give a flying gently caress about.

From what I saw from the Onimusha video he posted above, I would think he would come up with something better than "christian mother mentality snobs". Like for real what is that weak rear end poo poo.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 10, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Woah he doesnt give a flying gently caress about the rules?? I bet that cool guy wears his baseball cap backwards and totally skateboards but he doesnt have his board on him right now but he definitely has one at hime

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

"christian mother mentality snobs"

He needs to clean up his workstation. The dust under his monitor is making me want to clean my screen to tidy it up by proxy :ohdear:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love some good drama in let's play of all forums

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BurgerQuest posted:

Love some good drama in let's play of all forums

We're not immune from the occasional hilarious trainwreck. But they are exceedingly rare, yes. We're like the chillest grey forum on SA. I don't get it :confused:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hatchi matchi!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Back in the wild west of the late 2000s early 10s, there was a lot more of this stuff because SA was seen as kind of the premiere place for LP and to be ~internet famous~ but then LP became more popular on Youtube and monetization came along and then Twitch and now LP's more chill.

It also didn't help that the early LP forum had like the biggest stick up its rear end until like 2013 or so.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Danaru posted:

Woah he doesnt give a flying gently caress about the rules?? I bet that cool guy wears his baseball cap backwards and totally skateboards but he doesnt have his board on him right now but he definitely has one at hime

If he had it with him he'd do a sick kickflip off of Lowtax.

Seriously, "I don't care about this website's rules so I'm just not going to follow them"? It's like paying cover charge at a bar and taking a poo poo on the counter, then getting indignant about the bouncer kicking you out.

He also apparently doesn't give a flying gently caress about the rules of framing either, since he was recording a widescreen monitor in vertical.

nine-gear crow posted:

He needs to clean up his workstation. The dust under his monitor is making me want to clean my screen to tidy it up by proxy :ohdear:

Everyone continue to stare at that workstation... Ignore the sound of the garbage truck backing up. It's unrelated to my workstation, I assure you.

Oh, right. I knew I had something to ask that was unrelated to mild forum drama.

So, I was considering doing a "Let's Play" of a Visual Novel on the PSVR called "Tokyo Chronos" (I mean, after I'm done with Conception Plus, obviously. Not going to run two at the same time).

When I say that it's a VR Visual Novel though, I mean it. From what I can see there's no interaction with the environment and there's not really a lot of movement from characters. It mostly looks like you can just look around the different 3D locations while the novel stuff is happening around you. It's almost like you are the screen that characters talk to if that makes sense.

My question is whether that's better kept to a screenshot format or if a video version would work. I know you can make a video LP out of just about anything if you're charming/charismatic/funny/not a robot, but how interesting would something like that be with only light commentary (I am none of the aforementioned things... although the jury is still out on robot)? In my mind it seems like it would be boring for people to watch because not much happens and it's all talking, but on the other hand I'm thinking about how a screenshot format would completely exclude basically the biggest selling point of the game (VN in VR). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 10, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Help, I fell into a time portal and can't find my way back to the distant future of 2020.

Psycho Knight posted:

In my mind it seems like it would be boring for people to watch because not much happens and it's all talking, but on the other hand I'm thinking about how a screenshot format would completely exclude basically the biggest selling point of the game (VN in VR). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Find a way to shoot a 360° video or capture screenshots to tile together and put them on either Youtube (where you can use the mouse to pan around or move your phone around if you're on mobile) or one of them 3d panorama viewers a la google streetview.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Working on a big project, looking for some extra eyes on this and in case anyone has some good/better ideas I can totally steal take inspiration from.

A Chronology Of War - Let's Play Every Advanced Squad Leader Scenario (I Own)

Some of you may know my Advanced Squad Leader LPs of Advanced Squad Leader, or simply know the game to some extent. It is a tactical wargame set during World War 2, and now branching out to World War 1, in some cases, as well as Korea. The game offers a ton of depth, at the expense of an equally deep rulebook that covers almost any interaction you could imagine between men, guns, and vehicles. Want to run into a building, pick up a bazooka, fire it in a separate phase, take a morale check while also setting your target, a tank, on fire? No problem! Want to shoot your men for cowardice when attempting to rally them as a Commissar? Sure thing! Want to direct naval artillery onto sea-facing bunkers while your landing craft bumble their way onto shore, hoping you don't accidentally trigger an explosive device, dooming 12 or so men to a fate best not to think about? I mean, yeah, but dang that's grim!

Well, luckily, that is but a tiny selection of events that could occur while playing ASL!

The thread will play out similarly to the Battletech thread(s), with an initial vote to determine if the thread will play as the Axis (The Baddies) or the Allies (The Not-Baddies). In cases where two of the same nationality fight eachother, a new vote will be made to determine who the thread will play as. In the rare case of a 3-player scenario (yes, they exist), the thread will vote which side to play, and a special volunteer/vote will be made for the 2nd of the 3 sides. The thread will take control of the leaders and/or a select few squads/crews/vehicles, depending on the order of battle in any given scenario. Ideally, I will look for a 5 to 20 percent ratio for regular units and a 20 to 50 percent ratio for leaders. This will allow some variability to account for the difference between very small and very large scenarios, where I will hopefully strike a nice balance between the two. The added benefit is to minimize the wait time for orders to come in for units.

Orders will be given either in the thread or in a google spreadsheet, with simplicity being the key, or detailed if the player has a good knowledge of the rules already. Any issues would be addressed by me and communicated with the player to maximize efficiency.

Game Pieces posted:

Game Pieces

A quick disclaimer - ASL uses a lot of acronyms. I will do my best to explain the acronym the first time I use it, but if I fail to do so or if you're confused, please ask!

SMCs (single-man counters)
(front)
(back)

Single-man counters are easy to remember, there's only a single man on here! These represent leaders and heroes (which I'll explain if we see them). These guys only have two numbers on them. The first is their morale value. If something bad happens, or if they need to figure out IF they can do something, they roll against that number. Lower than that is good, higher is bad. The second number is their modifier, in this case a -2. Any unit stacked with the leader gets to subtract 2 from most any roll their make. This would be read as a "nine neg two leader".
When the unit is flipped over, that means they're "broken". Their morale has failed and they're cowering. They can't do anything but hopefully rally during the rally phase. The only number here is their morale number, they can't modify anyone else's roll now. BUT, the box around the number means that they can SELF-rally during the rally phase. Normally, a unit would need a leader with them to get them back in the fight, but these guys muster their own courage.

MMCs (multi-man counters)
(front)
(back)

Any unit with three men on it is a FULL SQUAD. Any unit with two men on it is a HALF SQUAD (except for crews, I'll explain later). The letter in the upper right designates their quality. E = elite, 1 = 1st line, 2 = 2nd line, C = conscript. The numbers, from left to right are (using the blue counter as an example):
8: their firepower
3: their "smoke exponent", what they have to roll less than in order to successfully use a smoke grenade. No exponent, no smoke.
3: their range - they can fire at full firepower up to 3 hexes away, half firepower up to 6 hexes away.
8: their morale
On the back, again, is their broken side. As I mentioned before, these units need a leader to rally them, as designated by NO box around their morale number.

The three colors above are our three nationalities. Blue is German, brownish-orange is Russian, and green is Rumanian.

SWs (support weapons)
(front)
(back)
(front)
(back)

SWs are carried by MMCs (remember what that means??), and I'll get to the actual firing rules when I actually use them. The acronyms here are:
HMG, MMG, LMG - heavy, medium, light machine gun
FT - flamethrower
DC - demolition charge

The numbers are (I'll use the HMG as an example):
5PP - 5 "portage points". A MMC can carry 3PP normally, and each additional PP they carry lowers their movement by one. Guns are heavy.
[3] - The boxed three is the weapon's "rate of fire". If the colored die is a 3 or less, the weapon can keep firing, instead of the one-and-done that most firing is.
6 - firepower
12 - range (the beauty of machine guns)
And on the back (malfunctioned) side:
R3 - if the weapons is malfunctioned, it would need a 3 or less to repair
X6 - if you try to repair the weapon and roll a 6, it's eliminated. Crumbles into dust, as most Russian equipment does.

Radios, DCs and FTs have their own rules, but for now suffice it to say that the only difference is that the Radio has three different success numbers, depending on which year you're playing. Technology got better later in the war.

Guns
(front)
(back)

Manned guns (noted by the bigger 5/8" counters, not the 1/2" SWs) are somewhat different looking than what we've seen. And, they use a different system of firing. Whereas most firing just rolls for effect, guns (and AFVs) first roll to hit, then designate a type of ammo, then roll for effect. So, all that is rolled into the counter. I didn't get a screenshot, but they must be manned by "crew" counters, or suffer a penalty.

MTR = mortar, and AT = anti-tank gun. Here are the values:
M11/M10 - the "manhandle" value. These guns can be pushed around, but it's not easy. I usually never even do it unless I really need to.
[3] - as before, this is the ROF (rate of fire)
82* / 57LL - the mortar is a 82mm short barrel (* = short). The line above the number means it can fire ONLY HE (high explosive) ammo. The AT gun is a 57mm extra-long (LL) barrel.
[3-78] - most guns have a really, really long range, so it's not even listed on the counter (and I don't even know it off the top of my head, it's so long). The mortar can only fire between 3 and 78 (ha!) hexes away. So, basically it can't fire closer than 3 hexes.

The back is the same R/X values as we saw on the SWs.

AFVs (armored fighting vehicles)
(front)
(back)

Oh, AFVs. I've been playing for a long time and still haven't mastered AFVs. There are tanks, half-tracks, trucks, landing vehicles, weird little ski-vehicles... almost every type of vehicle has its own set of rules. Literally - each vehicle (each nationality has 25-50) has its own paragraph in the rules book.

Luckily, this scenario only uses two. The Russian T-26S M37, and the German Stürmgeschutz (StuG) IIIB. I'll just explain each one.

The T-26S M37:
The upper right number is the movement allowance. It is in an oval because the vehicle is fully-tracked. The number is red because Russian vehicles had notoriously bad transmissions - you have roll a die when you start the vehicle, and a 12 causes it to break down.
The thick box around the counter means the it has a "restricted slow traverse" turret. This means that the main gun can only fire if the tank is buttoned-up, and the turret turns very slowly.
The "3" and "[1]" on the right are the vehicles armor values. The top is used when the tank is hit from the front. The bottom is used when the tank is hit from the sides or back. The square means that the upper structure of the tank is stronger on the back and sides than the lower structure of the tank.
The "[1]" on the left is the rate of fire number
The "B11" means the main gun breaks down if I roll an 11 or higher.
The main gun is a 45mm long barrel.
The "-/4" means that the vehicle has no bow machine gun, but has a 4-firepower coaxial machine gun, which fires in the same direction that the turret is facing.

OKAY, on to the StuG IIIB:
14 movement allowance, fully tracked.
No box around the counter means that the vehicle is NOT turreted. It can only fire in the direction the vehicle is facing.
6 frontal armor, 3 rear/side armor. The white circle means that the tank is a small target, which is a defensive bonus.
1 rate of fire
75mm short barrelled gun
On the back of the counter (which VASSAL doesn't show), there are numbers to use for HEAT (high explosive anti-tank) ammo, smoke rounds, AP (armor-piercing) ammo, smoke dischargers, and crew survival. I'll address those as I come to them.

Snipers

Snipers are very abstract in this game. You don't move them around the board yourself. I'll get into the actual mechanics if and when they happen, but here's the gist:
Each player has a "SAN" (sniper activation number) defined on the scenario card. VASSAL lets me mark it on the counter itself, so you see above that the Russians have a SAN of 4.
If the Germans roll a 4 during a firing phase, the Russian sniper is activated. The Russian player rolls one die, and if it's a 1 or 2, the sniper hits something.
The Russian player rolls two dice, one is the direction (along the edge of the counter), and the other is the distance in hexes. The sniper gets moved, and shoots the closest target.
That's the TL;DR version.

Foxholes

Foxholes are given by the scenario card, and add a defensive bonus for the units in it. The "1S" means that only one squad can be in it at a time, in addition to single-man counters. The other numbers are defensive bonuses.

Roadblocks

A roadblock is basically a Wall terrain that the player can place anywhere. Vehicles can't pass it, but infantry can.

Terrain (at least what's on this map)

Open Ground

Nothing special about open ground. But, if a unit is walking through open ground, the other player gets pretty sick bonuses when firing on them.
Cost to move into for infantry: 1 MF (movement factor)

Shellholes

Shellholes are treated as open ground, unless an extra movement point is spent, in which case it hunkers down in the shellhole and gets a defensive bonus.
Cost: 1 / 2 MF

Woods

Woods provide a +1 defensive modifier, and cost 2 MF to move into. Also, blocks line-of-sight through.

Grain

Grain doesn't block line of sight, but each hex between the attacker and the defender that it passes through adds +1 to the roll, making it worse. It costs 1.5 MF to move through when in season (which it is).

Hedges/Walls
(hedge)
(wall)

Hedges and walls are complicated with regards to line of sight, which I'll address if it comes up. A wall has a +2 defensive bonus, a hedge has a +1. They cost 1 MF + whatever the cost of the hex their moving into it.

Marsh

A marsh doesn't block line of sight, but is a hindrance (just like grain). It costs all your MF to move into a marsh, and vehicles can't enter it, AND you can only fire light machine guns from it, not medium or heavy. I'll probably stay out of this.

Buildings
(wooden)
(stone)

Buildings that are in one hex have only a ground floor, 2-hex buildings have a ground and 1st floor, 3+ hex buildings have ground/1st/2nd floors.
Buildings provide a +2 bonus for wooden, +3 for stone, and cost 2 MF to move into.

The terrains have other little details here and there, which I'll address as they come up.

Basically, this is a lot of word salad to say that you can generally:
- Shoot at full power at the cost of not moving in the Prep Fire Phase.
- Move 2 hexes during a movement phase, and 1 hex in the Advance Phase.
- Shoot after moving, at half power, in the Advancing Fire Phase.
- Line-of-Sight relies heavily on where you are, and what you're attempting to look at.
- You're safe in things that offer a higher TEM
- Some actions will be taken automatically by me (Rally attempts, Repair attempts, shots by units without (move) orders, etc.)

Orders will be allowed to have conditionals, maybe moreso as the thread evolves and people get a better feel for the rules.

In the interest of speed, orders will be taken once per game turn, not player turn.

:siren: test post below :siren: (as well as some explanation(s) on how the thread will work)

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156037

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

biosterous posted:

Pouring one (bottle of piss from last night's intense gaming session) out in honor of richardgamingo, a trailblazer struck down before his time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Richard can game n go with the Nintendo Switch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

Pouring one (bottle of piss from last night's intense gaming session) out in honor of richardgamingo, a trailblazer struck down before his time.

PISS TAPE POST IS REAL

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Geemer posted:

Find a way to shoot a 360° video or capture screenshots to tile together and put them on either Youtube (where you can use the mouse to pan around or move your phone around if you're on mobile) or one of them 3d panorama viewers a la google streetview.

I didn't think of that. That's definitely a possibility, although I'm not entirely sure how I would do it since it's through PSVR. Stitching together screenshots seems a little easier, but that requires me to keep an eye on how my head is aligned. Still, it's definitely an idea of how to approach this, thanks.

wesandjjthrowaway
Feb 14, 2020

by Reene
This is wesflarger. Using this throwaway account because both myself and jeremystery were probated for so drat long by the humorless burt sexual. That's all I'm saying about that because the GBS forum internet drama isn't what this thread is about and not why I joined in the first place. It's about playing the souls game at the lowest possible level, and that's what I want the discussion to be focused on. I do talk about it a bit in the LP but that's not the center of the thread. I do think I have something not awful to offer the LP threads with my under leveled souls playthroughs. By the way, nine gear crow, I owe you a half hearted apology. Your reaction to my antics was way fine compared to other mods. Anyway, i'm seriously not a meta troll or anything just a gay nerd that wants to talk about video games and I DO give a drat about the LP forum.

Playlist of the Bloodborne videos I've completed. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsWhKkcX6-5mVcV_ZeeY5x4wyzxFr84Jb
My voice is hoarse as hell from contracting SARS and I'll likely be dead soon so I'm not recording until my vocal chords have re-hydrated which will probably be like 3 days idk. The playlist only contains 4 videos and I haven't recorded anything beyond what is already up. It's still in progress and I would like to get a discussion going on playing the souls games (in this case Bloodborne) at their lowest possible levels, because I have done it with every game. It's entirely possible and you can still creat a pretty powerful character. It also shows just how whiny some people are about a game being too hard because they really aren't that hard if you know what you're doing. Let me know what you think and give me any suggestions to make the thread and the videos better or more entertaining. I'm a pretty seasoned and good souls player so I think I have something to offer to people who who also play the Fromsoftware games.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

After creating the video linked further up on this page, he created two more videos to show how not angry he is... or maybe to farm views? The three SA videos are the only ones on his channel with 3 digit views, so I’d propose not giving him the attention he craves.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:frogout:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

can't wait until he gets banned for account sharing

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love a good meltdown, never stop reregistering wesflarger

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna assume there's either jothing wrong with my test post or the game is so niche that its hard for people to comment on.

Or both.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm gonna assume there's either jothing wrong with my test post or the game is so niche that its hard for people to comment on.

Or both.

For me, it's niche enough that I'm not really going to be able to say anything of substance to give any ideas. Wargames aren't something I'm well versed in, and I know nothing about the series. I've only ever played one game that could count as a wargame, and it had my head spinning for weeks.

By the basic standards of a test post, it looks good to me, but I still really don't know what I'm looking at. I think the mini-drama that happened here kinda overtook your post, so I'd maybe give it some time unless you're already feeling good about it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I have things I could say Jobbo that would be very off-topic for this thread. I'm interested in the idea and how it pans out. Unfortunately in my experience, attempts at what would here be called 'goon-powered LPs' which I've done on other sites but not on SA (yet) sometimes sound good in theory and then don't work well in practice, or vice-versa. So I'm pretty reticent to give actual feedback on your post itself until I see the thread in action, other than to say I looks pretty well thought-out which is probably the best you can really hope for.

In other words, we're probably in JUST POST territory here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
So, I have a bit of an unusual question regarding restructuring an op for an existing longer thread:

I got a long-running thread that was never intended to run this long but it did and I don't feel like stopping any time soon. And I want to make clear that I'm not dissatisfied with the amount of attention the thread/videos/streams get. I'm having fun and I got a small but dedicated set of viewers. And - full disclosure - I also run threads for the same show outside of SA but I do consider SA to be the home base of operations, mainly due to the history I have running shows like this here. The main reason I have the same thread in different places is that I hate the loving paywall garbage poo poo gently caress piss.

But basically, to give you an idea of what I'm doing: It's a wrestling show I run in a video game every week with storylines, matches and everything streamed live and later archived.

Now, the thing is, due to the thread being so big (just look at the list of links to updates, it's quite long at this point.) it's hard for people to just jump in at the most recent episode. Even though I say it's okay to do so I know that people still feel intimidated by the whole thing. Because not only are there a lot of updates the average "weekly" episode runs 1:45 hours and the "PPV" these build to can last anywhere between 2 and 3 hours (rarely longer), so catching up from the start isn't really an option. Since I want to restructure the OP anyway I would like to do so with that particular aspect in mind.

Now my actual question here is: How can I restructure my OP to make it seem less intimidating or make it clearer that, yes, it's okay to jump in at the most recent episode or just watch the show live, really.

Ideas I had so far, they all regard the format of the episodes list specifically. If you have different suggestions or suggestions that involve changing different sections of the OP then feel free to share those too:
- Start a new thread
The best possible cut-off point is two months in the past, plus the longer the show runs the more the second thread would have the same problem. So this, while an option, is probably not the best one.

- Collapse each set of four updates into one post that links to the other.
The structure of the show is to have weekly episodes and every fourth one is a bigger one that is being built to in the preceding episodes (sometimes longer than that). This also would probably cause extra work for archiving the thread when that time comes as links to updates are nested into a "parent" post.

- Collapse each set of four but still link directly as in [EP 1] [EP 2] [EP 3] [Name of PPV] instead of one line per link.
The problem here is, that this would make the three build-up episodes seem less worth seeing even though the main difference is they have fewer matches.

- Relocate all existing episodes except the most recent few to a separate "archive" post.
That'd make updating the thread a real pain. There's already more work than meets the eye into just putting in the latest update and posting.

- Invert the order the episodes are shown in
This means most recent first. And I hate this, generally, but it's one option

So yeah. I'm restructuring the post anyway. But this would be an important aspect to keep in mind when "redesigning" it. It's just I'm kind of stumped on how to best do that, so any suggestions, especially if you have experience with that, are welcome.