Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pyrotek posted:

Season 4 will surely be about Dougie getting elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

"I'm gone. Long gone. Like a turkey in the corn."

Gobble gobble!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

And More posted:

I still haven't watched their video. This take, I completely disagree with, though. Chet's analysis is purposefully obtuse. You'd never be able to figure this out, if they didn't spell it out right afterwards. Let's also not forget that the barely noticeable poo poo is actually extremely important. Stanley is also not oblivious. His remark about the 27,000 $ office seems to imply that it's way too expensive. He can tell they've got some additional income they're not meant to have.
There are a few reasons I think it's a fine take, one being that during this scene he's literally just twiddling his thumbs, looking around, and tallying up the costs under his breath (timestamped to an example of this). I shouldn't say he's completely oblivious, but rather he's bogged down in minute details and doesn't see the forest for the trees. See also the quick shot (10 seconds in) of Chet looking back at Sam and looking slightly exasperated at what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVPA7GsThI&t=80s

Another reason is that in the shooting draft, it's basically a running joke that Sam Stanley won't stop adding up the value of everything, not just at the sheriff station (Ctrl-F "dollars"). I can't remember if any of that actually made it into Missing Pieces though. Actually in doing that I just noticed this description of when Chet goes into the sheriff's office:

quote:

Desmond stalks to Sheriff Cable's office. Stanley remains behind continuing to observe every detail.
Sam is a details-obsessed scientist who carries around a "special machine" to analyze things and Chet is a smooth operator with an open mind and an intuition for the unintuitive. Which one of those mindsets do you think David Lynch wants his audience to have while viewing his work? The Lil scene just sets up how much better Chet is than Sam at interpreting Gordon Cole AKA David Lynch's weird symbolism.

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 12, 2020

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

What do you make of the fact that Gordon thinks Stanley is "good"? Also, Stanley notices two important details: the hemmed in dress and the blue rose. If you ask me, all that other stuff is pretty unimportant compared to the blue rose. He's clearly not a tough guy like Desmond, but I don't think he's necessarily unsuited for the job. Stanley's the one who discovered the letter, y'know. With his machine.

Also from that shooting draft:

STANLEY: What did Gordon's tie mean?
DESMOND: What? That's just Gordon's bad taste.
STANLEY: Why couldn't he have just told you all these things?
DESMOND: He talks loud. And he loves his code.
STANLEY: I see. He does talk loud.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

And More posted:

What do you make of the fact that Gordon thinks Stanley is "good"? Also, Stanley notices two important details: the hemmed in dress and the blue rose. If you ask me, all that other stuff is pretty unimportant compared to the blue rose. He's clearly not a tough guy like Desmond, but I don't think he's necessarily unsuited for the job. Stanley's the one who discovered the letter, y'know. With his machine.
I think Gordon thinks Stanley is good at forensic-level analysis and picking up on little things that other people would otherwise miss, and that he is a smart and talented guy, but that his methods alone aren't going to cut it on a blue rose case. If you want a real-life analogue of this, there was a fan theory that Ep17 and Ep18 are secretly meant to be watched overlaid on top of one another with people making careful notes of the associations between the corresponding parts and pondering their meanings in a Dark Side of the Moon + Wizard of Oz kind of way. Bullshit, says David Lynch. But he also follows it up by being complementary to the fans who come up with this kind of thing. Everyone's a detective, he has said repeatedly. But not all detectives are going to solve the case.

I hadn't thought about this before you mentioned it, but Sam did see the blue rose, but he didn't mention it until prompted about it or consider it notable until Chet told him that he couldn't talk about it. After that, he became somewhat fixated on it, talking about it again later and also asking Cooper about it. It only became important to him because he was denied an explanation. Not an uncommon phenomenon among Lynch fans. And, for that matter, it's seemingly the entire motivation for Bad Cooper's existence. He apparently devoted his entire life to finding out who Judy is, just because nobody would tell him. Also not an uncommon phenomenon among Lynch fans...

That said, even though I largely found out about some of these ideas in the Twin Perfect video, I strongly disagree with their actual interpretation, which is basically that David Lynch is bitter and resentful towards the stupid explanation-obsessed audience for getting Twin Peaks cancelled and subsequently that all of Season 3 is just him saying "gently caress you" to his fans by purposefully giving them nothing that they were hyped for as a petty form of revenge or something. On the contrary, I think David Lynch loves his audience and is grateful to them, and that any bitterness and resentment is towards the network television environment that ruined his show. That's why Sam isn't a bumbling moron, but is actually a smart guy. He's just got the wrong approach for this particular case. I'm not one to assign purely allegorical meanings to Lynch's work but, I mean, the first scene in the movie is a television getting destroyed. The sheriff that Chet beats the poo poo out of is literally named Cable.

quote:

Also from that shooting draft:

STANLEY: What did Gordon's tie mean?
DESMOND: What? That's just Gordon's bad taste.
STANLEY: Why couldn't he have just told you all these things?
DESMOND: He talks loud. And he loves his code.
STANLEY: I see. He does talk loud.
I love this exchange.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Volte posted:

If you want a real-life analogue of this, there was a fan theory that Ep17 and Ep18 are secretly meant to be watched overlaid on top of one another with people making careful notes of the associations between the corresponding parts and pondering their meanings in a Dark Side of the Moon + Wizard of Oz kind of way. Bullshit, says David Lynch. But he also follows it up by being complementary to the fans who come up with this kind of thing. Everyone's a detective, he has said repeatedly. But not all detectives are going to solve the case.

I'm with you on some theories about this show being flimsy at best. A while ago, someone in this thread linked, a video essay attempting to align the entire original show and the Return in inverted order (except he removes 12 episodes because they don't count). Suffice it to say, the guy in the video does his best, but it's just a lot of conjecture with very little compelling evidence or even a reason given for why Lynch would do something that only conspiracy nuts could actually discover. I mean, a visual or thematic parallel works perfectly fine without such a herculean effort. Maybe these theories are an attempt at nailing down a fixed meaning for something that is multi-layered by nature.

This moment from his (100% serious) conspiracy theory video is pretty good, though. He reveals the secret key to all of Twin Peaks, the true origin of the mysterious Billy. You've got to admire the brain's ability to connect even the most nonsensical things.

And More fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 13, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think there will be a season 4, no one minds being back on the gravy train. You heard it here first

BITCH.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Hey so are we watching two episodes this week? S3E1 and E2 aired together.

I've definitely come around to the "play the episodes together to get meaning" thing as not helpful. But I'm wondering if it's kind of lazy editing if you use the same pacing so often people can align whole scenes in that way, or is there an underlying rhythm that is intentional even if you aren't meant to overlap scenes?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
gently caress. I just realized my ex left me the S3 Blu-rays, but took the Blu-Ray player.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Hey so are we watching two episodes this week? S3E1 and E2 aired together.
Ohhh yeah, I forgot that happened. Yeah, we could! And we'd start at 11pm EST.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Volte posted:

Sam is a details-obsessed scientist who carries around a "special machine" to analyze things and Chet is a smooth operator with an open mind and an intuition for the unintuitive. Which one of those mindsets do you think David Lynch wants his audience to have while viewing his work?

both

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

Ohhh yeah, I forgot that happened. Yeah, we could! And we'd start at 11pm EST.

It could be interesting to watch them separately. There is even a unique credits sequence for the first part. We're not even gonna take little break after FWWM, though? I feel a bit exhausted by that movie, tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You have a week lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean we still have weeks and weeks of this left to go considering season 3 is 18 episodes. FWWM's exhausting to watch, yeah, but that's why we watched it a few nights ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If we watch the first two episodes this week, then that's one less week I have to wait to get to Episode 8 :hellyeah:

Edit: Watching Missing Pieces, "The Angels will return, and when you see the one who will help you, you will weep with joy" was so beautiful.... and then Leland calls on the phone :gonk:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 13, 2020

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The best part of The Missing Pieces is Pete explaining 2x4s to Dell Mibbler.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Is a dollar still worth what it used to be at your bank?"
":aaa:"

Edit: Also wow there was a LOT more straight-up post-season 2 stuff in the original filmed footage for Fire Walk With Me, I had no idea about Annie and the ring or Cooper asking The Arm how to leave or Bad Coop explaining his laughter to Harry.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 13, 2020

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

Bad Coop explaining his laughter to Harry.

Bad Coop's sense of humour is extremely bad. He's all like: "Do you get my clever double entendre, Harry? Do you?"

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

the talk about bad coop in the bathroom reminded me of how much in those scenes he acts like he's testing out the "vessel" he's come into. Like when he's squeezing the toothpaste out of the tube into the sink, there's this sense of tactility but also symbolically the toothpaste can't be put back in the tube.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have thoughts on Annie’s dress (that she went into the lodge in her black Miss Twin Peaks dress and apparently came out in a floral dress)? Is the lesson from the Lil presentation that it’s a blue rose mystery that we aren’t supposed to question? It was flashed in the S2 finale as well.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on Annie’s dress (that she went into the lodge in her black Miss Twin Peaks dress and apparently came out in a floral dress)? Is the lesson from the Lil presentation that it’s a blue rose mystery that we aren’t supposed to question? It was flashed in the S2 finale as well.

I think it's Caroline's dress. No idea why the lodge had it in stock, though.

Edit: Just pragmatically thinking, I bet her dress stayed the same between scenes to make her identifiable to new viewers.

And More fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 13, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Scene from the Missing Missing Pieces

Agents Chet Desmond and Sam Stanley in beige sedan pulling out of Twin Peaks Memorial Hospital parking lot.

Agent Desmond: "What did you notice about her face?"

Agent Stanley: "She was unresponsive. Catatonic..."

Agent Desmond: <looks over at Stanley in the passenger seat and nods>

Agent Stanley: "Catatonic... so.. the person who did that to her has cats?"

Agent Desmond: "Gordon said you were good"

Agent Stanley: <hugs machine to his chest>

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Who's ready to start season 3 tonight? I am. I think this will be my first (or maybe second?) time watching the whole season since I got the Blu-Ray set.

There aren't any Log Lady intros anymore, though, so we just dive right into the insanity.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I lent my dad the blu rays a while back and he started on season 3 by accident and was very confused. (he is 72)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hype is real over on my end. Ready 2 fix my heart or die

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dr.acula posted:

I lent my dad the blu rays a while back and he started on season 3 by accident and was very confused. (he is 72)
lmao, I can only imagine

My dad's almost 70 and I know for a fact he'd have no idea what the gently caress's going on if he started with season 3.

e: btw, I'm doing the combined feature-length presentation of episodes 1 & 2 on the Blu-Ray

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 16, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The new intro is so well made :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Remember 4 3 0. Richard and Linda. Two birds with 1 stone.

e: Dr. Amp's golden shovels!

e2: Yesssssssssss, Stoner Jerry Horne hahaha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 16, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

gently caress yes Jerry

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

American Woman remix :unsmigghh:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

There he is! :rock:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Buella kinda looks like an older Lil from FWWM in the face

e: Don't do it Tracey :ohdear:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 16, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Just as frightening the second time. :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That body :stare:

e: Log Lady!

e2: I like how Lynch opted for the crappiest looking UI for the police department computers lmao

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 16, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hello again Margaret :unsmith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

We live inside a dream, Bill.

e: Woodsman!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 16, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love how everyone keeps knocking on the Hastings’ door and nobody touches the wolf door knocker

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bad Coop is so drat threatening. Kyle MacLachlan really knocks it out of the park in this.

e: Sheryl Lee still has a powerful scream!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 16, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Oh, you're nice and wet!" :stonk:

e: Old Ray Wise!

e2: NON-EXIST-ENT

e3: Sarah Palmer watching footage of an animal getting mutilated and the Chromatics! And James! He was always cool.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Carel Struycken as ?????