Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Darchangel posted:

I want an XC90 V8 because... V8. It sounds glorious. It's actually a Yamaha, of course.
I'm sure it's a maintenance nightmare. It's a transverse V8.
fake edit: I just learned grabbing those videos that they crammed it into the S80, too.
Fake edit2: Oh, dammit, there's an '07 XC90 V8 on Craigslist for $3500.

This AI timeline only ends one way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Buying used makes sense in most markets. I bought a Subaru in New England. That should be pretty self explanatory as to why I bought new. I heard Subaru depreciation in the PNW is almost non existent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kimbo305 posted:

Well, first I’d have to have $3500, which I don’t, unless someone buys my Corolla. (Someone buy my Corolla. )

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

There’s some Yamaha V8 apologist that has some V8 Yamaha apologist blog and occasionally comes around IRC because of course there is in AI.

Edit: this: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-dark-side-of-volvos-excellent-v8

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tremek posted:

Those probably aren’t Chevy SSes... Are you talking about the Commodore VE-based Caprice PPV?

The PPV had V6 options and also a 6.0L V8, but a far less sophisticated suspension, a vastly shittier interior (yes I know but it’s shittier on both a relative and absolute scale) and is based on the previous generation Commodore, whereas the Chevy SS was based on the VF Commodore, only had the 6.2L LS3 and made a lot more power, had the option of magnetorheological shocks, could be optioned with a 6 speed manual, and was shorter in overall length than the PPV. Significantly different car even if superficially they look similar.

The VF was a face lift of the VE, not a generation newer than the VE. The suspension is completely the same. I'm sure the PPV had a lower spec interior compared to the Australian equivalent, the Holden Caprice, which was aimed at the luxury market.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

No, the PPV had a conventional FE3? spring and shock absorber suspension, whereas the 15-17 Chevy SS had magnetorheological shocks - electronic dampeners that can be controlled from inside the car for firmness/rebound. Significant difference.

I had a VE-based G8 GXP manual from new in ‘09 to selling it in 2013, and have also driven a Chevy SS. There’s a host of changes in the newer car that make it much more modern to live with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

No, the PPV had a conventional FE3? spring and shock absorber suspension, whereas the 15-17 Chevy SS had magnetorheological shocks - electronic dampeners that can be controlled from inside the car for firmness/rebound. Significant difference.

I had a VE-based G8 GXP manual from new in ‘09 to selling it in 2013, and have also driven a Chevy SS. There’s a host of changes in the newer car that make it much more modern to live with.

But at a sub-$10k / low-$teens price point, it's one hell of a bargain for commuting with power, and potential for more. Sure, you need to choose wisely when buying ex-cop cars, and you'll probably have to replace the interior (console at least) and it'll have all kinds of cosmetic stuff (including holes in main panels). That just enforces its role as a commuter, you'll never have to worry about it being pristine, since it never was that way.

With a proven RWD GM LS drivetrain, it's an easy sell for me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

There’s some Yamaha V8 apologist that has some V8 Yamaha apologist blog and occasionally comes around IRC because of course there is in AI.

Isn't that engine also a derivative of the SHO V8?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tremek posted:

Uh...

that article posted:

Traditionally, the inline 5 cylinder engine found in most Volvos has a 90° split.
Fascinating. I wasn't aware that inline engines bent.

Also, to the actual point of the article, interesting. Just a bit of a design oversight. Good to know.

meatpimp posted:

But at a sub-$10k / low-$teens price point, it's one hell of a bargain for commuting with power, and potential for more. Sure, you need to choose wisely when buying ex-cop cars, and you'll probably have to replace the interior (console at least) and it'll have all kinds of cosmetic stuff (including holes in main panels). That just enforces its role as a commuter, you'll never have to worry about it being pristine, since it never was that way.

With a proven RWD GM LS drivetrain, it's an easy sell for me.

I can say I've been quite happy with my Crown Vic cop car. One advantage there, though, is that there are civilian versions of the same car available to pull parts from, notably interior pieces to upgrade the livability of the interior. Not sure any SS bits would fit the PPV, and hoo boy importing from Aus would defeat the purpose of "cheap car".

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't that engine also a derivative of the SHO V8?

Wikipedia posted:

Officials of all three companies involved insist that the Volvo V8 is not related to the SHO engine; the die-cast open-deck aluminum Volvo block is clearly different from the sand-cast closed-deck aluminum SHO engine block although the two engines share many common dimensions including bore centers, stroke, bearing journal diameters, and deck height.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_B8444S_engine

edit: however:

Wikipedia posted:

The engine block is also used for the Yamaha F300V8, F350V8, and XTO Offshore outboards. The displacement ranges from 5.3 to 5.6 litres.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Volvo was (is?) big into motorboat engines years ago, so doesn't surprise me that they are allowing their V8s for that use as well as road use.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Based on what they share, I'd guess that Yahama designed the Volvo V8 around the tooling they had from the SHO V8 but otherwise went clean sheet. Basically the same thing Ford did with the Coyote vs the Mod motor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You Am I posted:

Volvo was (is?) big into motorboat engines years ago, so doesn't surprise me that they are allowing their V8s for that use as well as road use.

"Volvo" + "V8" + "motorboat engine" reminds me about Rudezon, which is a Volvo Amazon with a V8. A 2-stroke Evinrude V8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoiWpJLokEc

(probably should go into the Awesome thread, I guess.)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

You Am I posted:

Still is. Volvo Penta is the line, I think.

According to wiki, volvo apparently started out as a marine engine builder before going into cars.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

Based on what they share, I'd guess that Yahama designed the Volvo V8 around the tooling they had from the SHO V8 but otherwise went clean sheet. Basically the same thing Ford did with the Coyote vs the Mod motor.

I think the the only common thing between Modular and Coyote is the bore spacing?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Darchangel posted:

I and my wife make what I would consider decent but not amazing money (just over 4 figures combined.)

Is that a typo? If you earn less than $10k a year you shouldn’t be buying a brand new car!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

drgitlin posted:

Is that a typo? If you earn less than $10k a year you shouldn’t be buying a brand new car!

Per month?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

MetaJew posted:

Per month?

“Just over 4 figures” a month would still be ~12-13k per year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m struggling to think what an interval could be where 4 figures is good.

Yearly? No
Monthly? 12k
Weekly? 52k
Daily maybe? That would be around 250k

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Weekly would put it in the realm of “decent but not amazing” but who describes their finances based on weekly income?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AirRaid posted:

Weekly would put it in the realm of “decent but not amazing” but who describes their finances based on weekly income?

Probably most of the portion of America that is living paycheck to paycheck :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 16, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Sorry, That is very much a typo. 6 figures, just barely.
edit: between the two of us. House, kid, 6 or 8 cars (all paid for, none newer that 2008, because AI), all the normal utilities, wife's fairly recent student loan. That gets paid off before another car payment happens. House needs some fixing and updating, too. So no new car for a while, if ever.

edit2: also, should say I'm actually socking something away because I really want to actually retire at some point without having to win the Lottery. 15 more years, in theory.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 13, 2020

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
My wife and I will probably clear 7 figures, I guess I should be posting my super car collection?

7 figures per decade

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

AirRaid posted:

The auto dealers seem to like to pitch it that way. "If you have a job making *mumble* dollars a week, we can get you financed!"
No, thanks.

edit:

Modus Man posted:

My wife and I will probably clear 7 figures, I guess I should be posting my super car collection?

7 figures per decade

Oh, hey, us, too! One of these days I should add up what our working lives have made and see if we've made our first million yet. Probably have, but it sure doesn't amount to much when spread out like that, does it?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I worked so much overtime in 2019 that my wife and I hit a six figure income.

When we got our W2s I was just shell shocked. I went from a poverty line income to being capable of supporting both of us if need be.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
single digit percentage of income car value club whatup

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 16, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Pretty sure the Social Security Administration provides this info online. I can't figure out how to login, but I seem to recall this was one of the things it does.

Turns out, they do, thanks. Taxable earnings, anyway. Good news! As of my 2019 reported earnings, I broke $1 million in taxable lifetime earnings! Since 1986. Only took 33 years!
I'd be a millionaire if I didn't have to ever pay taxes, eat, pay for a place to live, or buy anything...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Turns out, they do, thanks. Taxable earnings, anyway. Good news! As of my 2019 reported earnings, I broke $1 million in taxable lifetime earnings! Since 1986. Only took 33 years!
I'd be a millionaire if I didn't have to ever pay taxes, eat, pay for a place to live, or buy anything...

Well you can sing a little bit louder during Santeria now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

single digit percentage of income car value club whatup

I'm at the other end of this spectrum, though it's probably due to owning too many cars and mentally overvaluing them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm at the other end of this spectrum, though it's probably due to owning too many cars and mentally overvaluing them.

Mine is only low because I can't bring myself to spend the money on what I want, especially with owning the S2000 that only has one purpose. Seems like it is S2000 and some kind of reasonable daily (Civic Si right now) :v:

Some day.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rhyno posted:

I worked so much overtime in 2019 that my wife and I hit a six figure income.

When we got our W2s I was just shell shocked. I went from a poverty line income to being capable of supporting both of us if need be.

The first few years of our marriage my wife and I had to constantly make the decision of whether to pay the electric bill or eat for a week.

Fast forward a bit, and last year the amount the government took in taxes from my pay is nearly equal to the previous two years’ salary. Combined. Not a brag in any way, just amazing how our fortunes change over time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The first few years of our marriage my wife and I had to constantly make the decision of whether to pay the electric bill or eat for a week.

Fast forward a bit, and last year the amount the government took in taxes from my pay is nearly equal to the previous two years’ salary. Combined. Not a brag in any way, just amazing how our fortunes change over time.

I feel you man. When we first moved in together (8ish years ago?) we were so poor. When she got her corporate job things got so much easier and when I got this job we were able to live for the first time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Well you can sing a little bit louder during Santeria now.

I understood that reference!

Rhyno posted:

I feel you man. When we first moved in together (8ish years ago?) we were so poor. When she got her corporate job things got so much easier and when I got this job we were able to live for the first time.

I do feel lucky to be where I am. I've never been dirt poor, thanks to a solidly middle-class family, but I've been trying to pay my own way without falling back on that since leaving for college so many years ago. It got tight more than a few times, but I never went hungry or homeless. Mom did send home food a lot back then, though. :)
A lot of folks I know started with a lot less. Some have done better than I, some are still having difficulty getting ahead, and it's not always about effort. Lotta luck involved.
Sure, I'm not confident I could buy a *new* car right now, but I've never had to really worry about having *a* car, so I can get/keep a job. Part of that is thanks to being fortunate enough to know how, and be able to work on my own stuff, be it the car or the house. Lets you get away with a lot more questionable initial purchases. Some days I hate having to work on stuff, but most days I'm glad I *can*. I may not have new stuff, but I have working stuff, and I'm not wildly in debt. Well, less than the typical American anyway. More credit card debt than I would like, but that's my own lack of self-restraint, not necessity.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Took some pictures for the sale ad and thought I'd throw some of them up here as well.

Going to miss this thing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Holy poo poo that thing looks super clean. How many miles does it have?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

gently caress.

I need those seats in my life.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looks so drat good. If you don't minde me asking, what would a BX in that coundition (hopefully) go for?
Generally Citroens are cheap to buy, but I've noticed a price hike lately (Sweden).

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Holy poo poo that thing looks super clean. How many miles does it have?

Thanks! ~150k miles, ~7500 since I lowkey restored it. It's been an absolute joy and it's really painful to be selling it.

opengl128 posted:

I need those seats in my life.

They're even more comfortable than they look :) You get out of them after ten hour journeys fresh as a daisy.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Looks so drat good. If you don't minde me asking, what would a BX in that coundition (hopefully) go for?
Generally Citroens are cheap to buy, but I've noticed a price hike lately (Sweden).

They're getting a lot of attention lately and the prices have definitely been going up. I've seen mint GTis go for as much as €9k; good ones are about 5-6 but tend to be survivors with aging parts, unlike mine which has pretty much everything replaced or refreshed. I'm looking for 6k, though I can give a decent goon discount :wmwink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Grakkus posted:

Took some pictures for the sale ad and thought I'd throw some of them up here as well.

Going to miss this thing.

:flaccid: