Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Blitzkrieg was the single reason I was watching Nitro for awhile. He was that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
was vampiro actually as popular in mexico as he claims or is he full of poo poo?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

was vampiro actually as popular in mexico as he claims or is he full of poo poo?

Superstar.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Mike Awesome is the dangerous worker people pretend Goldberg was.
I'm surprised he didn't get a bigger push regardless considering he's related to Hogan.

DeathChicken posted:

Blitzkrieg was the single reason I was watching Nitro for awhile. He was that good
He was only around for like two months.

I got to see him wrestle at Spring Stempede 99 and hell yeah, he was freakin' awesome.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'm surprised he didn't get a bigger push regardless considering he's related to Hogan.
wait what!?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He's Horace Hogan's cousin

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, on Horace's mother's side, so no actual relation to Hogan

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Randaconda posted:

So what we're saying is, Horace got his wrestling ability from the Hulk Hogan wing of his family, and his charisma from the Mike Awesome side?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Tbf this was me before that picture was even posted.

Also, I feel like I'm missing something big but who are these two?

Thank you, I was racking my loving brains trying to figure out when the singer from the Adicts was in WCW.

Randaconda posted:

So unlike Horace, the blood in his veins didn't come from Hogan's brother's body?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You don't have to be blood related to be family.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just look at that loving thing, holy poo poo.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I guess that's what the Germans are all about.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hogan isn't going to back a push of someone who has talent. His M.O. has always been to get his untalented friends jobs. Anybody who could threaten him though? No way Jack. Horace was safe, making money on the under-card, no fan was asking for a Horace Hogan push. Awesome on the other, Hogan would see him as a threat, he would either get him turned and squash him or, say, have him do a dumb Beefcake style gimmick that has a clear ceiling.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

remusclaw posted:

His M.O. has always been to get his untalented friends jobs.
Hogan is the Adam Sandler of wrestling

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

Juggalo hate was just a way to publicly hate poor people in a way that let you pretend it was about something else...same way some people hate wrestling.

juggalos like wrestling and get loving debauche in cornfields, I 100% identify with this. I occasionally check out the music they dig and its not all terrible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Better Than You posted:

Hogan is the Adam Sandler of wrestling

Many of Adam's peers and film critics like him personally despite poor films. Ebert once said that he disliked giving negative reviews to Sandler movies because he'd met him multiple times and liked him personally.

Hogan doesn't have friends, just leeches. And critics and a growing number of fans hate him as a man.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

remusclaw posted:

Hogan isn't going to back a push of someone who has talent. His M.O. has always been to get his untalented friends jobs. Anybody who could threaten him though? No way Jack. Horace was safe, making money on the under-card, no fan was asking for a Horace Hogan push. Awesome on the other, Hogan would see him as a threat, he would either get him turned and squash him or, say, have him do a dumb Beefcake style gimmick that has a clear ceiling.
This is an excellent point.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

You don't have to be blood related to be family.

I think from Mike Awesome's career in WCW, he clearly was not Hulk Hogan's family.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

I think from Mike Awesome's career in WCW, he clearly was not Hulk Hogan's family.

Hogan liked Awesome and that was one reason he gave him a lot during the feud with Kidman. Awesome only really got booked to hell after Hogan was out of the company.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

I guess that's what the Germans are all about.

I appreciate this reference.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheKingslayer posted:

I appreciate this reference.
Ruin the joke and catch us up?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Ruin the joke and catch us up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEEBUBjSWGg

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan liked Awesome and that was one reason he gave him a lot during the feud with Kidman. Awesome only really got booked to hell after Hogan was out of the company.

That is a good point, I didn't actually think of the timeline of events when I said that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't read Spanish very well. Who was Vampiro's TV star wife?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the talk about Awesome got me thinking....

As a lifelong DDP fan I'm aware of how Vince seems to ruin stars from other companies. Jealousy maybe? He didn't create them so they don't deserve to be main eventers? Whatever the case, with the exception of the aforementioned Awesome, did anyone who was a big star elsewhere come to WCW and get totally buried?

Maybe all the ECW guys? Raven could have been way more than he was in WCW.

e:

Yeah I'm dumb. How could I overlook that one. It's just like, they used all the other big names they got from WWF well. Bret seems to be an anomaly.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 18, 2020

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever the case, with the exception of the aforementioned Awesome, did anyone who was a big star elsewhere come to WCW and get totally buried?
Bret Hart

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So the talk about Awesome got me thinking....

As a lifelong DDP fan I'm aware of how Vince seems to ruin stars from other companies. Jealousy maybe? He didn't create them so they don't deserve to be main eventers? Whatever the case, with the exception of the aforementioned Awesome, did anyone who was a big star elsewhere come to WCW and get totally buried?

Maybe all the ECW guys? Raven could have been way more than he was in WCW.

e:

Yeah I'm dumb. How could I overlook that one. It's just like, they used all the other big names they got from WWF well. Bret seems to be an anomaly.

Yeah, all the ECW guys indeed. Sandman, Shane Douglas, and Mikey Whipwreck come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. I guess Lance Storm did OK in WCW though.

Ted DiBiase was kind of a big deal in the WWE, then WCW did nothing with him, does that count?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

Yeah, all the ECW guys indeed. Sandman, Shane Douglas, and Mikey Whipwreck come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. I guess Lance Storm did OK in WCW though.

Ted DiBiase was kind of a big deal in the WWE, then WCW did nothing with him, does that count?

DiBiase couldn't really do anything and he wasn't a good manager.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

rujasu posted:

Did Ted actually wrestle in WCW or was he just a manager?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

rujasu posted:

Sandman and Whipwreck were wasted, but they really tried with Shane Douglas towards the end. He wasn't a main eventer, but he often had high profile feuds. Watching back, it seemed like he was slotted correctly, but it was too late.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did Ted actually wrestle in WCW or was he just a manager?

Just a manager, he was injured and retired at that point. He was suppose to be the main mouthpiece/"Financial backer" for NWO but Eric inserted himself into the picture after a few months of him being there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m still looking at Alex Wright’s dick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How does it compare to Batista's?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Endless Mike posted:

How does it compare to Batista's?

I don’t know, can someone help me?!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Didn't WCW manage to shoot themselves in the foot by mistreating some of their loaned New Japan talent too, or was it just Liger? That probably wouldn't quite fall under the same banner as misusing the likes of Bret Hart or even Mike Awesome, but it seems like it was unnecessary for them to just poo poo on their long-term relationship with New Japan. Then again, WCW seemed to like being unnecessary sometimes.

And what were the more detailed reasons why they didn't do anything with Bret anyway? Was he just doomed in the political environment dominated by Hogan and Nash? I get the feeling that neither of them thought much of him, Hogan from his WM9 antics and Nash through his Kliq connections. I mean, if Ric Flair was continually being dismissed by WCW then what hope did Bret have. :(

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Das Wunderdick.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Hedgehog Pie posted:

And what were the more detailed reasons why they didn't do anything with Bret anyway? Was he just doomed in the political environment dominated by Hogan and Nash? I get the feeling that neither of them thought much of him, Hogan from his WM9 antics and Nash through his Kliq connections.
That's basically it. I mean, those two gave us the Fingerpoke of Doom

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

After the Montreal screw job his hart just wasn’t in wrestling anymore

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDDYRm4q9Cw

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk