Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Inacio posted:

top post on :reddit:

That’s quite a salty thread. Most be a lot of “fear of the new” going around.

Chris probably thought his Christmas Day teaser would buy them a longer reprieve. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

:shepspends: When you consider that the 890J tends to be just one of their large fleets it's many millions. This is just the combat capitals of about 80 of them[/i]

Exactly one ship of the types displayed in that picture is in the game- the very smallest one. It is the 6 turret monstrosity that you never seen anyone flying around because nobody who plays the game has any friends, and it has no pilot-accessible guns.

None of the other ships are even on the schedule for release.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Clapton's Layla isn't a car, though ww

Don't change the rules to my game.

UnknownTarget posted:

Is this "Bargaining" now?

I want to know what development house separates it's QA from it's developers. We make people _own_ poo poo, right up until it makes it to merge.

"So progress could be much further that what we imagine it to be."

To extend the thought experiment, the reason for Ci!G to quietly engage in *more* progress and yet not tell the world is...

Honestly, I weep for the human race if simple extrapolation of the model to a logical conclusion wasn't apparently a dead, burnt and buried skill.

Everything Ci!G does leads to promotion of the ship sales; if they had a super-secret working build, they'd 'leak' it via one of their many promotional channels, such as Kerberos productions carefully managing hype before the release of 'Sword of the Stars II' by using the useful vloggers and other credible and hungry plonkers.

Quavers posted:

It's also scope creep

Nah, it's totally bargaining. The 'what if everything we see isn't actually the truth' is the final haunt of the disillusioned fanboy, and a midpoint stage for the well-meaning supporter.

Also scope didn't really creep on this; it was given a multi-stage boost into the firmament celestial.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Fuuuuuuuuckkk

Those backers have reached the peak of Star Citizen Actualization- they have Bought An Idris

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Hav posted:

Everything Ci!G does leads to promotion of the ship sales; if they had a super-secret working build, they'd 'leak' it via one of their many promotional channels, such as Kerberos productions carefully managing hype before the release of 'Sword of the Stars II' by using the useful vloggers and other credible and hungry plonkers.

Being reminded of SotS2 is unpleasant and bad, especially since I had a friend at PDX saying "temper your expectations" but I didn't listen :negative:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oops, a backer remembered a thing that CIG said would be standard on all ships going forward:

Someone with a memory longer than a goldfish posted:

What happened to the ship customization system the 300 series was resold with? Why hasn't it been applied to ships since then?

As a web developer I can tell you that was not a small amount of work to make that whole interaction and customization system work and integrate with your account correctly. I dont know exactly how much, but it wasnt a minor task.

So where did it go? Why hasnt it been used for any other ships? Has CIG mentioned it since then? Are there any upcoming ships that will use it? Are any other legacy ships going to use it?

:reddit:
They said it took the same amount of work to make a ship customizable as it is to build a new ship. They are focusing on new/concept ships for the immediate future. I'd rather have a bunch of new ships than a few customizable ones.

Just to show that it is possible,it‘s just a nice feature to show,reminding that someday other ships will be able to be costumized to. There was a time many people asked when paintjobs and poo poo will come in,and this was kinda the answer,but they said that it‘s not the work of the Web disign,its the thing that a ship has to be made to be costumized and that is a waste of time since we are waiting on so many other ships.

They didn't know exactly how time-intensive it would be before they did it. Now they know and haven't done it again yet, so I think toot suggestion is a bit late. They're NOT investing those resources in it again for a while.

It was mostly a proof of concept thing. The knowledge they gained from it will for sure be put to good use later down the road. And if they used clean, concise code then it wouldn't be that hard to come back to it in the future.

Summary:

• It took too much work and they won't do it again.
  • They did it to shut up all the people asking about paintjobs. Please ignore all the paintjobs they sold and didn't deliver.
  • Any promises that they were going to do it on everything going forward should be disregarded- those were lies.
  • It absolutely was a win, in some way, and they'll definitely do it again.

Actual Summary:

Nothing CIG says when it attempts to sell you a ship should be trusted

No promise regarding future ships is considered unbreakable

No feature, no matter how bespoke and seemingly overdesigned, will ever be applied to more than one ship even when it might make absolute sense to do so

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

Exactly one ship of the types displayed in that picture is in the game- the very smallest one. It is the 6 turret monstrosity that you never seen anyone flying around because nobody who plays the game has any friends, and it has no pilot-accessible guns.

Can you like, jump out of the pilots seat, then run to a gun and shootymans something?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SoftNum posted:

Can you like, jump out of the pilots seat, then run to a gun and shootymans something?

probably not, aren't there ramps on the way to the guns?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SoftNum posted:

No, when you jump out of the seat the ship turns off.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SoftNum posted:

Yes if you don't mind the 5 second pilot seat rotation/exit animation (unskippable), the 10 second bridge door opening/ladder climbing animation to get to the main deck (unskippable), the run down the corridor to one of the turrets, and then the ~7 second turret seat entry/rotation/deployment animation (unskippable). As long as your target hasn't moved from that arc in the 25 or so seconds it takes, you're a real death machine!

The good news is you don't have to worry about the ship taking damage in the meantime or anything- the shields are totally impenetrable to pleb tier ships.

Ironically, the version of the ship that you can hijack from pirates comes with NPC gunners in the turrets that will actually fight for you once you own the ship. This means that the free version of the $700 combat ship is substantially more dangerous and functional than the P2W version.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

That’s quite a salty thread. Most be a lot of “fear of the new” going around.

Chris probably thought his Christmas Day teaser would buy them a longer reprieve. Oh well.

It's a lot of "All of the progress being done behind the scenes but are just too humble to tell us" dreams.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, help me out here;

From the outside in; Idris, Kraken, Polaris, 890, Hammerhead?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SolusLunes posted:

Being reminded of SotS2 is unpleasant and bad, especially since I had a friend at PDX saying "temper your expectations" but I didn't listen :negative:

I recall the day-by-day of that release because the developers were lying to the publishers, and the publishers were doing a sterling job of trying to stay the hell out of things. Fred Wester was a douche that day.

it did make Paradox slightly more interested in maintaining a level of quality; they'd released a couple of absolute Turkeys that year, but SotS II was supposed to be a big deal. I guess they figured out that Lighthouse interactive were right...

DapperDon posted:

It's a lot of "All of the progress being done behind the scenes but are just too humble to tell us" dreams.

"They've fixed everything and they're going to do a big reveal at Citcon 2020"

Edit: "Big oil has been killing water powered cars for years!"

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hav posted:

Okay, help me out here;

The 890 isn't in that pic. I think it's Javelin, Kraken, Idris, Polaris, Hammerhead

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

The 890 isn't in that pic. I think it's Javelin, Kraken, Idris, Polaris, Hammerhead

Yeah, couldn't figure out if the Polaris was suppose to be white.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hav posted:

Okay, help me out here;

890 is not combat.

From outside: Javelin, Kraken, Idris , Polaris, Hammerhead

Sniped, my knowledge of SC is not enough. I should go and buy a Javelin.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

E: beaten like a Star Citizen backer on budgeting day

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Note that citizens will claim that it was supposed to be an MMO from the start, but the Kickstarter clearly describes it as a single-player game with a persistent multiplayer universe you enter after you complete the main solo campaign, ala Freelancer, with future content that would primarily be more solo campaign missions. The whole focus on the MMO and PU pretty obviously came later after they realized selling ships was the real cash cow.

This is actually kind of a cool idea, and not just for a space game. You create a character, take it through a single-player campaign, then suddenly you're online with a bunch of other players and the story goes on. GTAV almost was in this ballpark, but the game modes are entirely separate. I can get behind the general concept, cutting your teeth on a single-player world and then entering a much larger world with whatever you earned in the campaign, then taking off from there.

It would not be for everybody, but I think it sounds neato.

Sadly, enter Chris Roberts...

Now even competent companies are going to write off the idea as worthless. It could be decades before his stink washes off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

This is actually kind of a cool idea, and not just for a space game. You create a character, take it through a single-player campaign, then suddenly you're online with a bunch of other players and the story goes on. GTAV almost was in this ballpark, but the game modes are entirely separate. I can get behind the general concept, cutting your teeth on a single-player world and then entering a much larger world with whatever you earned in the campaign, then taking off from there.

Now even competent companies are going to write off the idea as worthless. It could be decades before his stink washes off.

I mean, that's kind of what happened in Freelancer. Once you finish the campaign (which while taking place in the open world, was very guided) you were set free to explore, trade, and do missions in the open world. It just wasn't all that compelling, the missions were all very cookie cutter. There was multiplayer, but I believe your character was server based (as in, players would set up their own dedicated servers, and you'd have a persistent character unique to that server).

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

On one hand, you are right. Depressingly right.

On the other hand, I can say unironically that in the last 500 years 7 years, my longest and most heartfelt laughs were at this train wreck. The record was 20 minutes of straight laughter, until my stomach hurt and my eyes had swelled shut, and that was courtesy of whoever put Crobear in the official CitizenCon mosaic.

Yeah, this thread (and the former threads) gave me some of the best laughs ever.

I think the funniest for me was "Winter for Roberts and CIG."

It is such a deep cut, which hits on so many levels. I know jokes are way funnier when you explain them, so two of my favorite parts of this joke are:

1) The Producers: The Video Game
2) excuse me, Nazi enthusiasts

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Curiously the Traveller PnP works on the basis that character generation is your military career, and you start playing after you've mustered from the Navy/Army/Marines/Scouts/Merchants. One of the few games where you can die during character generation.

Sarsapariller posted:

E: beaten like a Star Citizen backer on budgeting day

I still love you. So out of the lot, the Hammerhead is currently flyable?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Scruffpuff posted:

EDIT: hav was quicker out the trap with the d12. Ignore me.

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 18, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

SolusLunes posted:

What's worse for me is that there is a good game in SotS2 that could have absolutely been brought out from the bad stuff but never will because of that launch.

I genuinely love flying a flock of Liir cruisers with AM torpedoes and watching an approaching fleet disintegrate, or establishing a Hiver beachhead and straight up teleporting an invasion fleet directly into enemy space. But then the weird sector system makes it so a small harassing force can wipe out planets in a large system before you can intercept and I ragequit…

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

What's worse for me is that there is a good game in SotS2 that could have absolutely been brought out from the bad stuff but never will because of that launch.

I genuinely love flying a flock of Liir cruisers with AM torpedoes and watching an approaching fleet disintegrate, or establishing a Hiver beachhead and straight up teleporting an invasion fleet directly into enemy space. But then the weird sector system makes it so a small harassing force can wipe out planets in a large system before you can intercept and I ragequit…

The AI would bankrupt itself extremely early, the whole sector battle thing was badly thought out, and a couple of the mechanisms had not been balanced _at all_, which was a shame, because that tactical layer was actually really, really promising.

Something happened at Kerberos. Either they lost key personnel, or they managed to destroy backups, because there _was_ a promising game being shown to people. Then on release, it was broken and Kerberos tried to claim Steam had uploaded a Beta. A weekend passed; they uploaded the 'right' release candidate, and it was _worse_. Kerberos came out and grovelled, promising to fix everything after release, tried for a couple of months, then just gave up, moving back to simpler (!) games to release like the roguelike - which you can pretty much code up in a week. I think Splicer was looking at dissembled source at one point and saying that it was largely unsalvageable.

I saved all the pertinent communications from the time, because it was the first time I'd seen 'the dog ate our homework' since the great Project Zomboid 'no backups' conflagration.

Edit: I'm procrastinating something, but I found this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i1RTxdqp7I

What's amusing is that in 2017, they appear to have had some of SQ42 completed enough to cross-promote the Idris and Sq42 before the Calders reset.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Yeah, behaves much like a Boeing 737 MAX 8

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

Curiously the Traveller PnP works on the basis that character generation is your military career, and you start playing after you've mustered from the Navy/Army/Marines/Scouts/Merchants. One of the few games where you can die during character generation.

Correct.

The Javelin is the $5k super warship that literally expects more crew than will fit on a single server and hasn't really been seen except for exterior shots in their many, many bullshit promo videos. Implementing it would require enormous server upgrades, in addition to actual capital-ship combat mechanics outside of just "More turrets."

The Kraken is the ~$2.5k "pocket carrier" that they finally ginned up to bilk idiots who'd been clamoring for one for years. Making it work would require some kind of flight deck mechanics and collision physics that didn't just give up at the first sign of two grids interacting.

The Idris, of course, is the $1.5k darling and we're all extremely familiar with the saga there. Will never be released for the PU in any kind of workable form due to carrier mechanics, torpedos being broken, requiring too many people/being far too large and complex for the servers/etc. The absolute avatar of ambition before design.

The Polaris is the intermediate $900-or-so ship that's supposed to be a torpedo boat and general single-ship carrier. I don't think there's anything preventing it from being released in "Walk around and look at the corridors" form except that it's loving huge and CIG can only seem to produce about one of these ships per year. I'd expect it some time in like, 2022 or so if the company somehow manages to carry on that long.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, behaves much like a Boeing 737 MAX 8

<whistles> That's quite the effective body count.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

DapperDon posted:

No, when you jump out of the seat the ship turns off.

Heh. In SC noone "jumps" out of any pilot seat. They slowly turn and drag themselves out of the chair with the grace of my arthritic grandmother.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, the pilot that got off his seat and slowly walks toward him gif was great terror.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Is it just me or is the 890 jump kinda ugly? Like, the smaller luxury ship at least has interesting lines and a cool ship. (the 600i i think? There's just one in the video.)

--

The academic paper on dreamz.txt is actually pretty interesting.

quote:

Theme 1: Igniting the Dream
The initial social exchanges with prospective backers need to “grab their attention” (CR_1). Hence, they
are meticulously planned: “I spent a year building a prototype and a very sophisticated trailer” (CR_1).
Situations where there is large underserved demand facilitate this and “Star Citizen qualified for that”
The Star Citizen Phenomenon
Fortieth International Conference on Information Systems, Munich 2019 5
(CR_1) as “It’s a game that has not been available for a long time” (Backer_3). In fact, recent research
shows that even portraying a product as a personal dream, as done by CR from very early on, is already
conducive to funding success (Allison et al. 2017). Moreover, successful projects typically have a high
amount of early contributions signaling overall success probability (Colombo et al. 2015). To aggregate
interest, CIG started to interact with prospective backers even before the actual crowdfunding campaign by
launching a teaser site one month before the campaign and starting a conversation about the dream in
Reddit, particularly in the community of a game (called Freelancer) produced by CR ten years before. CIG
flanked this with high quality visual material outlining the dream to spark interest and bolster the dream’s
tangibility (Xiao et al. 2014). This orchestration resulted in 10,000 people signing up solely through viral
promotion within the first 24 hours of the campaign launch, and later on the same day the number reached
30,000 when Star Citizen was actually announced by CIG. At this stage, Star Citizen benefited from the
high profile, network of relationships, and track record of past successes of its CEO, factors that drive
crowdfunding success (Davies and Giovannetti 2018; Beier and Wagner 2015)

i had viewed The Dream as something they stumbled into post-kickstarter and switched to feeding more and more but this seems like a credible argument that they were selling a dream from day -30.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haven't taken a read of Speculum in a while and it was curious to note just how many salty comments there are there and how hte realists are getting upvoted quite a bit.

I particularly like this example regarding a quesiton of how many systems there will be added in 2021 (nice and safe talking about 2021 since people can forget what they said in 2020 by the time it comes around).

quote:

With all due respect to them, Their predictions are incompatible with reality, They're absolutely preposterous.

Rockstar have been making GTA for two decades, The amount of "tools" they developed to increase development time for GTA are magnitude more than CIG (All AAA gaming studios develop tools), And guess what, GTA 6 isn't going to be the size of the USA or Texas, just Because rockstar have developed "Tools".

People are free to speculate, But there is a line where we're just deluding other people and prepping them for disappointment and outrage, For predictions that never had a chance to become reality.

30 system by 2023?, a system every month?!!. Ask any developer, Not just in CIG, But in the gaming industry, And they'll laugh out loud.

To answer your original question, We'll get either magnus or leir system in 2021, Each one taking 6 months If we're extremely optimistic (Probably more).

I expect we get terra at the end of 2022 early 2023, And it'll take them a year to make it.

EDIT: I like how many don't think too far into the future with their predictions, like even if they can add 5 systems a year, that's another 20+ years before they fulfil their (number of systems) stretch goals.

Best not to challenge them with thoughts like that though.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 18, 2020

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Can't believe I've wasted 7+ years of my life thinking about this scam.

The only way to WIN with Shart Citizoids is to not know about it.

To know about it, is to lose. Whether you're a supporter or a dissenter, if you know about Star Citizen, you fuckin lose.

Buy an idris.

totally agree

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble He posted:

totally agree

But you already know about it! Its too late! You already know about the sexy crobear! You are doomed! DOOOOOOMED!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

From Dusk Till Dawn wasn't one of Tarantino's best films, but still a good film.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Finally! GunPenis!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

Finally! GunPenis!

POIP I guess

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018