Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

AITA For not letting my wife use my car after she got a parking ticket?

quote:

To give background: We have two cars, one for me and one that she uses. I make a lot more than my wife and I paid for both cars completely early on in our marriage.

The town has stepped up enforcement and is issuing way more parking tickets. As a result, my wife has gotten a few tickets over the last couple of months. I warned her that she needs to start being careful, but she complains that it's extremely difficult to find convenient parking.

She got a ticket a weeks ago and I warned her "if you get one more ticket, I am not letting you drive my car again." We had an argument over this but I made my boundaries clear.

Sure enough, days ago we got another ticket and I hid her keys and told her she will get them back when she learns her lesson. She got very mad at me and told me she needs the car to get to work, but I reminded her I paid for the car and I was giving her the privilege to drive it, but now she is forbidden from using it.

I told her she would have to take a bus to work, which she complained about because she'd have to wake up three hours early since there is no direct stops to the town, and would have to board a few buses to get back home. She has been guilt tripping me but as far as I know, I told her what would happen if she got another ticket but didn't respect me enough to listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

17 years is likely to be some Pretty Heavy poo poo.

Yeah, he might have stolen money from a corporation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

threelemmings posted:

You can totally do like six years or even less sometimes and be out again for a murder. 17 years is either federal crime or something bigger. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a violent crime but it's pretty likely.

e: Unless it's one out of multiple felonies, if he had a bunch of stuff stack up.

Murder can have you out quickly. At work we have candidates to be a practical examiner fill out an application where they need to list any felonies on their record. One guy had second-degree murder from the 1980s, but only served a year or two in prison from what I remember. When we asked him for details, he claimed that he shot someone trying to stab him in his home and that California has mandatory prison time even for self-defense with a gun. I confirmed this is bullshit, which means he probably got into a fight with a guy and they both tried to kill each other, with the guy with the gun winning.

He already had a reputation for aggression and harassment among the staff, so he didn't get to be an examiner.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Clown posted:

AITA For not letting my wife use my car after she got a parking ticket?

who pays the tickets? also what is this grounding your wife poo poo. why not try to give her a curfew too, what the gently caress

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

luxury handset posted:

who pays the tickets? also what is this grounding your wife poo poo. why not try to give her a curfew too, what the gently caress

The tickets are paid for from their joint account

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

DandyLion posted:

Or he could just be black and have been arrested a third time for Marijuana.......

Also crack. My dad became addicted a year or two after I was born and ended up in Federal prison for like 12-15 years.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

What does it mean when someone changes what they've always called you?

quote:

I've (25M) been living with my roommate (25M) for a year and a few months. We've been through a lot together, including a robbery and a panic attack.

I care about him and he cares about me too, he considers me his best friend (I do as well) and recently said I'm "the best thing that happened to him over the past few years." He has been going through a lot after an epilepsy attack that almost cost him his life before he moved in with me, and I've been helping him with all the difficulties that I'm able to help with (he's much better now :D). We never really had a dating life, we liked just being friendly and meeting people, and we also never asked about each other's sexuality. I'm not sure of mine still.

That leads me to recently, when he went from calling me by my name to "honey". The first time he said it, I almost choked-- I would've never seen it coming. I haven't said anything about it, but it's been going on for a month now, and I feel weird about it.

Not bad weird, there's just something that makes me feel something, but I don't know what or why. We were also always touchy, but due to the circumstances, everytime he does I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't ask him, red in the face. I don't touch him at all now because it also feels weird.

I don't want him taking it the wrong way, what if it's just an endearing thing and I'm assuming he likes men and also likes me? I don't know how I feel, I'm very confused and lost, I don't know what to do with myself too. Can someone also read into this? Should I talk to him or let it go?

TLDR: Best friend calls me honey now. I don't know why and I cant bring myself to ask. I feel a lot of things, I don't know if either of us are gay and I'm churning butter over all this. Should I ask him? Does he have feelings for me?

(UPDATE) What does it mean when someone changes what they've always called you? (25M) and (25M)

quote:

TLDR: i talked to my roomie... now we're boyfriends!!! i'm so happy

Hey guys, it's been a while. Though my post didn't get much attention, I wanted to give an update to the people who've helped :)

I talked to my friend about it. I explained all the things I've thought about, and my sexuality, and my feelings for him. I was shaking and sweating and close to tears, but he got it.

He hugged me, and ordered us a pizza. We were in complete awkward silence while waiting for it. He put on my favorite movie (Eternal Sunshine btw) and we just ate on the couch.

Halfway through it, he held my hand and did a cheesy, silly speech about how he thought that I was ace because I never got on with anyone, and he didn't either because he wanted me, but never made a move too <:)

I cried again, and then he cried, and after we calmed down, we just cuddled. My hands were oily and I stained his shirt, but that's something to remember the day I guess.

It's been a while now, and we're officially boyfriends! We went on a date at a bakery and he finally asked, though we've been living as a couple anyways after so many years together.

It's weird to do these things with a man, and especially my best friend, but we're taking it slow, making things continue as they've always been. He's so so sweet and I'm so happy to be with him. I love him so much.

Thank you, reddit :) also we're getting a rat maybe

:kimchi:

Top comment posted:

oh my god they were roommates

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

DemoneeHo posted:

What does it mean when someone changes what they've always called you?

(UPDATE) What does it mean when someone changes what they've always called you? (25M) and (25M)

It's nice to see that it's not all doom and gloom out there. :unsmith:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting to go to our high school reunion with my wife to fulfil her revenge fantasy?

My wife and I (both 37, female) have known each other since high school. We grew up in a very conservative part of the US so we were both extremely repressed and didn’t get together until well into our adulthood. We both left our hometown as soon as we were able to (me at 18 when I headed to college, she after college) and neither of us have really visited since. From what we know though—thanks to the power of the internet and social media—the area we grew up in is still incredibly conservative.

My wife recently got a Facebook message from one of our old classmates about a 20th high school reunion that is being organized in our hometown this summer. Looking at the event page it seems a lot of people from high school are going. All of our social media profiles are private so they likely have no idea we’re now together.

My wife immediately jumped to accept the invitation, and assumed I would be ecstatic as well to “surprise everyone about our marriage”. I told her I didn’t really wanna go because: 1) I actually had a pretty lovely time in high school and so I’m not particularly inclined to see old classmates I haven’t talked to in 20 years; 2) she may not even get the reaction she thinks she’ll get; 3) we live far away now and it would be an unplanned travel expense. Not that we’re extremely poor, but I’d rather we spend our money on an actual vacation instead of bumming around in our hometown for a week with the kids.

I told her all this, and also said that if she wishes to go on her own, she is more than welcome to. But she insisted that it wouldn’t be the same unless we’re both there. One thing that may be relevant here is that my wife hung out with the popular crowd in high school, and so she evidently sees going to a high school reunion arm-in-arm with a woman as some revenge fantasy (like, “oh, the prom queen is now a lesbian” or whatever). She’s not normally this high school obsessed but she has mentioned several times she wants to surprise our former classmates with our relationship and financial success. I said the purposeful showiness of this seemed a bit immature and we should just focus on the good life we have now.

Growing up gay in the 90s in a conservative town was obviously... not great, to put it mildly, and I understand that we each have our own way of coping with the homophobia we experienced. This just seems like a bit of a step back in my opinion. But at the same time, going to the reunion clearly means a lot to my wife, whereas I’m more apathetic. AITA?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting to go to our high school reunion with my wife to fulfil her revenge fantasy?

Showing up to a 20-year reunion and not being obese with 3 kids means you've already won

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm going to go with #2. Nobody is going to give a poo poo about something they probably don't even remember and you're going to look like the weirdo when you inevitably bring it up over and over again.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

AITA for helping with my nieces but refusing to help with my severely disabled nephew?

I'd like to thank OP for giving those girls some semblance of a childhood. No doubt they're going to be made slaves for their brother once they're old enough to take care of him.
Besides being NTA, I remember as a kid my parents (this is relevant, we were involved in the evangelical church heavily, my dad was a pastor) knew some people who had a child with extremely similar issues. They allowed that poor...child? to suffer existence for like 10-11 years before it mercifully died. It was constantly in pain, blind, unable to communicate, etc. All so they could appease their "god" by ruining their own lives to torture this child with existence for longer.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

spacetoaster posted:

I'm going to go with #2. Nobody is going to give a poo poo about something they probably don't even remember and you're going to look like the weirdo when you inevitably bring it up over and over again.
If it's a conservative shithole they'll probably give a poo poo about them being lesbians, but not in the way that's like, safe.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How can I (27F) tell my friend (30F) that her "jokes" about my husband (40M) make me feel uncomfortable?

We've been friends for six years, she (30F) was present in our family since my (27F) daughters were born (they're 5 and 2 years old) she's not married and has no children and always jokes about men and how she wants to sleep with all the handsome men in the world, and I don't like that but hey, that's her personality and she can do whatever she wants with her life, but lately she started to make "jokes" about my husband (40M) and that's not funny to me.

One day we were having dinner with all my friends and one of them said that my husband is a great father for taking care of our daughters while I was with them, and she suddenly said "yes, he's such a daddy" and laughed, and I asked what? And she told me that he's really hot and that I'm very lucky to be married to him, well, that was forgotten but she didn't stop and when she went to visit us she was playing with my youngest daughter and made a comment that made me feel really VERY uncomfortable, she said something like "your husband makes beautiful babies and I would like him to make one with me because I want beautiful babies like your daughters" I was like, excuse me? and she just laughed and said she was joking, I told her that I don't like that kind of jokes and she told me that I was overreacting.

I know I should have a talk with her but I don't know how to tell her that I don't like her behavior, she even brags that she slept with a man who had a girlfriend and that his girlfriend broke up with him because of that and that's what makes me feel even more uncomfortable, she has no limits i mean she doesn't even care that I'm pregnant, she still hinted that she wants to sleep with MY husband and I know that the ring on his finger is not gonna stop her if she really wants to sleep with him. I want to cut off contact with her temporarily because I don't like her attitude, but I don't know what to say, I don't want to hurt her feelings. Of course I trust my husband and I have talked to him about this and he confessed that she also made him feel uncomfortable but never told me because he knows that I love her, but my priority is my family and I don't know what should I tell her?

Tl;dr "my (27F) friend (30F) said that she wants to have babies with my husband (40M) because he makes beautiful babies and she thinks he's hot, and now I want to cut off contact with her temporarily"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How can I (27F) tell my friend (30F) that her "jokes" about my husband (40M) make me feel uncomfortable?

We've been friends for six years, she (30F) was present in our family since my (27F) daughters were born (they're 5 and 2 years old) she's not married and has no children and always jokes about men and how she wants to sleep with all the handsome men in the world, and I don't like that but hey, that's her personality and she can do whatever she wants with her life, but lately she started to make "jokes" about my husband (40M) and that's not funny to me.

One day we were having dinner with all my friends and one of them said that my husband is a great father for taking care of our daughters while I was with them, and she suddenly said "yes, he's such a daddy" and laughed, and I asked what? And she told me that he's really hot and that I'm very lucky to be married to him, well, that was forgotten but she didn't stop and when she went to visit us she was playing with my youngest daughter and made a comment that made me feel really VERY uncomfortable, she said something like "your husband makes beautiful babies and I would like him to make one with me because I want beautiful babies like your daughters" I was like, excuse me? and she just laughed and said she was joking, I told her that I don't like that kind of jokes and she told me that I was overreacting.

I know I should have a talk with her but I don't know how to tell her that I don't like her behavior, she even brags that she slept with a man who had a girlfriend and that his girlfriend broke up with him because of that and that's what makes me feel even more uncomfortable, she has no limits i mean she doesn't even care that I'm pregnant, she still hinted that she wants to sleep with MY husband and I know that the ring on his finger is not gonna stop her if she really wants to sleep with him. I want to cut off contact with her temporarily because I don't like her attitude, but I don't know what to say, I don't want to hurt her feelings. Of course I trust my husband and I have talked to him about this and he confessed that she also made him feel uncomfortable but never told me because he knows that I love her, but my priority is my family and I don't know what should I tell her?

Tl;dr "my (27F) friend (30F) said that she wants to have babies with my husband (40M) because he makes beautiful babies and she thinks he's hot, and now I want to cut off contact with her temporarily"

don't frame it so seriously and make fun of her with your husband, it will be fun

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

MorrisBae posted:

Showing up to a 20-year reunion and not being obese with 3 kids means you've already won

Recently had one, me and another guy were the only ones with hair left. I was very pleased.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [28F] can’t look at boyfriend [29M] the same after some jokes he told [4yr duration]

TL;DR boyfriend thinks it’s okay to joke about things that I don’t think it’s okay to joke about. I don’t know whether it’s ok for me to feel this way or not.

Half my brain is saying “wow I’m literally turning into the stereotypical no fun feminist that internet people always complain about, I need to chill before I lose all my friends” and half my brain is saying “danger! Danger! You’re being manipulated into thinking this is normal and it’s actually definitely not ok! You are being gaslit into putting up with absolute BS!”

Alrighty I’m not sure what the rules are exactly on quoting other people’s rude comments. So apologies in advance if you think my censorship is overly intense.

My boyfriend’s best friends are this group of guys that have all been besties since they were like, 8 years old or something like that. They’re all white/straight/cis/etc.

Their favourite (and pretty much only) hobby is playing video games together, but they don’t always play in person, they usually communicate over the Internet.

My relationship with my boyfriend’s friends is... basically nonexistent, but also complicated. I’ll sum it up - They seem to really like me, and we get along extremely well, but they make almost all hangout events “boys only / girlfriends not invited” so I’ve been allowed to hang out with them less than 5 times in the past 4 years, which used to make me feel very sad and confused and excluded and rejected and maybe a bit angry. Remember, they’re his BEST friends.

But after a couple years I realized that a couple of them are pretty racist/homophobic/transphobic so y’know, phew, bullet dodged! Don’t need to be in a group like that! I’ll hang out with my awesome friends instead (many of whom are LGBT and/or POC).

But yet, even though I don’t WANT to be friends with them, I still feel excluded and sad that I can’t be part of such an important part of my boyfriend’s life... I don’t like being in a couple where we have separate friend groups. Like I said, complicated. There’s some hidden bitterness deep down that I try to ignore because I don’t want to be controlling or needy.

Anyway that was all just backstory to explain the situation. Wait, one more sentence of backstory- I’m a mostly white, bisexual, girl who hates racism and homophobia, and who has been badly abused in past relationships.

So, even though my boyfriend is friends with some... questionable people, he’s always assured me that he’s 100% not racist or homophobic or sexist. I personally prefer to not be close friends with people who are, so I found it strange that he’s cool with it... but he says “guy friendships are different, you just don’t understand, it’s about loyalty, we’ve known each other for decades we’re basically brothers”. That makes no sense to me but oh well, I try to be open minded so I decided to just roll with it and believe him.

Him and his friends also have some questionable habits... when gaming together, they call each other (F-word which means gay person) constantly, like every other sentence, which makes me cringe, I think it’s pretty gross. But I don’t want to be the language police. As my boyfriend pointed out when I commented on it... It’s a private group chat so no LGBT person will EVER hear it (other than me when I’m sitting on the couch next to Boyfriend), and my boyfriend isn’t actually homophobic, so literally nobody is getting hurt (other than my “oversensitive feelings” as he puts it). So even though it bothers me a little, I’ve decided “gently caress it, not worth the argument, this isn’t my hill to die on, it’s true that he’s not hurting anyone and I’m not his mom so I should stop being so oversensitive and controlling”.

SO actual important post content starts here: recently, Boyfriend and his friends actually invited me to be in one of their gaming group chats, for literally the first time in our entire 4 year relationship! Wow! (Yep, that’s how distant his friends are from me...)

This group chat was a text based one, not a voice chat. When you’re added to these, you can see previous messages from before you were added. I’m not sure if boyfriend was aware of this or not, I’m assuming he wasn’t.

I have to admit, I was curious about what they’ve been talking about without me for 4 drat years... yes, ok, I’m really bitter about being excluded, I admit. So, being bitter, I “snooped”. (Is it really snooping if you read past messages in a group chat that you were literally invited to join?)

Anyway, this one only had about 6 months worth of messages, not 4 years’ worth. And it was 6 months worth of racist jokes (which weren’t super tame, some of them used the N-word!), (R- word you know which one) jokes, transphobic jokes, you get the idea.

But duh, that’s what I expected to find, I knew what boyfriend’s friends were like.

What I didn’t expect to find... was that Boyfriend was the one making some of the jokes. Including one (n word) joke, and one (r word) joke. I will include a very censored version of both jokes so you can form your own opinion on whether or not they were uncool things to say.

Joke 1: Friend is talking about painting something he owns. Boyfriend replies “paint it N word black and (C word for Chinese people) skin yellow).”

So... that ones technically not even a racist joke since he isn’t even saying anything about race other than naming colours... but also is it just me or is that a super hosed up thing to say? Like why would he even think that, they were just talking about paint colours, why would his brain go “yes this would be a good opportunity to use some racial slurs!” Am I crazy or is this super weird and crappy of him?

Joke 2: Friend is talking about being nervous for a presentation he has to give at school. Boyfriend replies “(R word) your teacher and then beat up your classmates”.

Now this joke is the one that really bothered me because... trying to say this with maximum censorship here... I’ve been “treated badly in a certain way” in a past relationship and my boyfriend KNOWS this. I think it’s absolutely sickening that he thinks this kind of thing is hilarious when he knows how it affected his girlfriend’s life. Honestly, the fact that he’d want to tell a joke like this makes me want to puke.

I talked to my best friend about it and he said “First of all, only those 6 white guys will ever hear those jokes, and those 6 guys aren’t hurt by them, so nobody got hurt and your boyfriend did absolutely nothing wrong. Secondly, he didn’t know you would ever read that chat, so you can’t be mad at him for talking about something that hurts you when he thought you’d never hear it. You’re being oversensitive and controlling and honestly pretty crazy.”

Which is also my boyfriends opinion on the topic and yeah, I get it, I can understand their perspective. It’s true that nobody will ever be hurt by what they say privately among themselves.

But also, that doesn’t matter to me. No matter how much I try to rationalize it, my gut instincts just keep screaming “this is messed up and not ok! Nice people don’t talk like that even in private, and you deserve to date a nice person! You’ve never in your life thought about saying things like that, so surely there’s other people out there like you, and you shouldn’t settle for someone who gets enjoyment out of joking about those things!”

So reddit, I’m prepared for all the insults, I’m sure a bunch of comments are going to call me a controlling no-fun feminist who likes to ruin things, or whatever women usually get called on the Internet when they don’t like R jokes. Go ahead, accuse me of being judgmental and abusive (but please do it politely, I’m oversensitive! Hahahahaha - that’s MY favourite kind of humour, self-deprecating irony!)

But I thought I’d post this anyway just in case I’m not wrong and it actually is ok to be upset about this. Because my gut instinct will not stop screaming “wtf girl! Get out!”

And let me be VERY CLEAR: I’m upset not because of the specific jokes he told (which were pretty tame compared to some stuff I’ve seen online, I’ll admit) - I’m upset because generally, I feel like the kind of person who would WANT to tell that kind of joke, isn’t the kind of person I’d want to date. In other words, I’m more concerned about his general character than the specific things he said. I’m concerned about the fact that he’s a person who gets personal enjoyment out of joking about those things.

So give me your verdict reddit. Is it fair for me to be upset about this? What should I say to him, should I confront him or should I let it slide?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Stay home, get drunk, watch Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.

Movies are the only way for these elaborate reunion revenge fantasies to play out successfully.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cumshitter posted:

As ridiculous as these scams are they work. I luckily have not had to deal with clients asking me to send them funds for a Nigerian prince at my job, even though I am currently working several old ladies in the early stages of dementia who believe I'm their dead husband. In finance, we call them lottery clients.

There's some interesting psychology in scams. If you can create a sense of urgency the rational/suspicious part of the brain tends to slow down as it tries to find a fix. I nearly fell for a "your [bank] card has been shut down due to fraud suspicion, please enter your number to reactivate it" because it came just after I'd paid some large bills and I was worried about those instead of the robocall. Got halfway through typing in the number before I managed to get through to myself about all the red flags (one being that it wasn't my bank, but the one I used to use that closed down). Other scams will claim to be from "Visa Mastercard" and people just blank out the one they don't use without noting those are different companies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [28F] can’t look at boyfriend [29M] the same after some jokes he told [4yr duration]

TL;DR boyfriend thinks it’s okay to joke about things that I don’t think it’s okay to joke about. I don’t know whether it’s ok for me to feel this way or not.

Help my boyfriend is real life FYAD superstar but I've seen worse online.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If these folks were like, 20 years old or less, this would be... well still pretty lovely. But at least kind of lovely that a good number of people go through and most grow out of. But still talking like this at 29? That's a big yikes!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
A doctor has started confirming my psychotic mother’s delusions. He’s sent her texts encouraging her delusions, calling her pet names, and generally being a total creep while treating her. Please help.

quote:

Tl;dr: A (overly friendly) doctor has started confirming my psychotic mother’s delusions. He’s texted her about it, so there are some records of what he’s said. Please help.

Located in Pennsylania

Hi all. This is nuts, because apparently that’s what my life is right now. Thanks so much for reading.

My mother was first diagnosed with cancer around 2011. For the next year or so, her health continued to decline while her condition worsened. She first met with Dr. B in 2012, as she prepared her case for disability. Dr. B took an immediate interest in my mother’s case, and became her primary contact as she was going through disability hearings and court procedures. She was absolutely petrified going through all of this, and she confided to me that although Dr. B was a great contact, she was worried about ‘upsetting him” in case he would stop helping her.

I recently found out he had been texting her during this period (continuing until now), calling her things like “my grey eyes”, flirting with her, talking about his wife, etc. I have logs of most of these texts, although some were lost when my mother got a new phone. This is while she was being treated by him, and while he was handling much of her paperwork for disability.

This is where it gets nuts. Although my mother’s cancer has improved, she’s continued to see Dr. B every thirty days, where he’s continued to advise her on matters outside of her cancer. In 2014, my mother unfortunately developed psychosis. She’s been in out-patient treatment facilities, on antipsychotic medications, and talked openly with Dr. B about this condition - all this to say, this doctor has been very aware of her mental health struggles.

So, when my mother went to him several months ago, having dropped 15lbs (she’s now 5’4” and 80lbs), claiming that bugs were crawling out of her skin, covered in (presumably self-induced) open lesions, and talking about her suicidal ideation, this doctor must have known her history. Yet he told and TEXTED my mother that if she talked to other doctors about this, they would think she was crazy and that he would help her instead. He took a “sample” of one of these “bugs”, placed it in a solution of sugar water, and told my mom to come back in a week. A week later, he tells my clinically depressed and psychotic mother that this “larva” apparently hatched into a bug, and that he sent it off to a university on the east coast to be identified. Later he claimed that these universities said it was a “parasitoid wasp”. He texted her pictures of these “hatched” bugs. When my mother first told me all of this, I thought his involvement was another one of her delusions. However, after reading the messages between them I’m absolutely lost at his level of involvement with my mother.

As far as I can tell, all of this was a lie. He did none of this, but was instead determined to convince my mom that her paranoid hallucinations were real. He directly confirms and encourages the existence of these bugs, saying and texting things like “Your mother (my grandma) isn’t infected yet, so they must only really like to infect you”, and commenting that “the house is probably safe for your daughter to come home, they won’t touch her”.

My mom also brought her friend and mother into an appointment with her. They both witnessed this doctor pull out the jar with the “bugs” and confirm they were some sort of wasp.

She was recently admitted to a hospital, where these “things” were tested and came back negative for any type of parasite. They’re most likely skin cells or clothing particles she’s pulling off. So this guy is truly off his rocker.

Please, if anyone can advise me at all on what to do here, I’d be really grateful. It’s... a lot. I’m young and just graduated college, and after being away from home for a few years just walked into all of this. I have no legal experience, but surely with this text records, this must be some kind of medical negligence or malpractice? Thanks all.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

MorrisBae posted:

And this is why I will never go to my 20 year reunion.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

A future Rejected Parent in the making

Dear Prudence - We clearly said no

quote:

My spouse and I don’t get out much. We secured a babysitter for last night and were so excited to reconnect. We had it planned for weeks. My mom asked to get together and we kindly explained that we had a date and would be happy to hang out another night. My mom was really persistent—she wanted to “show off our house” to a friend whom I don’t know well. We kept saying no very firmly and directly. The babysitter, who is another family member, told me my mom reached out to them and also asked to come over, without us knowing, while we were gone. They firmly said no also. I couldn’t fully enjoy the date. I felt like the situation was really bizarre.

When we got home, the babysitter sat us down and told us that my mom and her friend showed up anyway. The babysitter noticed that the friend was intoxicated or high and felt really uncomfortable and didn’t let them in the house. I confirmed it all with my security cameras. My mom kept trying to get my kids to come outside to meet the friend, but my kids were scared and hid. My mom and her friend walked back to their cars, criticizing my garden as they went. My mom is also telling people that she helped pay for our house, which isn’t true. We saved up and have written every check ourselves. She did get us a $100 gift card as a housewarming gift, but that’s it. She’s also claimed credit for paying for our wedding and college. I think others are uncomfortable with her sharing this because they’ve come and told us about it. I feel violated and uncomfortable with this incident, especially with how it's made my kids and babysitter feel. I feel like we were very clear about our boundaries and she crossed them anyways. What should I do?

quote:

Is this sort of thing out of character for your mother? You don’t say much about what she’s normally like, if she has a history of showing up drunk or with a drunk friend, acting belligerently, or spreading rumors. If this is totally unlike her, give yourself a few days to settle and then let her know you’re concerned about her and want to know what’s going on. Maybe she’s started drinking more herself; maybe it’s a medical issue; maybe something in particular has been upsetting her. There might be a chance to learn more and figure out if there’s something you can offer your help with. Even if something is the matter, you’re still entitled to say, “Mom, it really upset me that you did this after we said ‘No’ six times,” or “It’s put us in a really embarrassing position to have to clarify with people that you didn’t help to buy our house or pay for our wedding.” (You can also tell those friends who have brought this to you: “I’m so sorry. Thanks for letting us know. I’m not sure why she’s making those claims, but I’ll speak to her about it.”)

If this is sort of a typical move for her, then it might make sense to warn babysitters in advance about the possibility that she might try to call or ring the doorbell (and pay them more accordingly, or make sure they’re not scared teenagers), screen your mom's calls if she repeatedly pesters you after you’ve said no, and find other ways to cut down on her attempts to badger you. I’m so sorry she showed up in such a distressing fashion, but the good news is that you and your husband and your sitter did all the right things.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Came across this earlier this morning. AITA metrics for data nerds: https://blog.dvc.org/a-public-reddit-dataset

LOL at mentioning your wife/GF correlating to being an rear end in a top hat stronger than drat near anything else. Seems about to par with what's been posted ITT

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

La Brea Carpet posted:

A doctor has started confirming my psychotic mother’s delusions. He’s sent her texts encouraging her delusions, calling her pet names, and generally being a total creep while treating her. Please help.

:stare: How do you go about reporting this dude like ASAP

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PetraCore posted:

If it's a conservative shithole they'll probably give a poo poo about them being lesbians, but not in the way that's like, safe.

Maybe if they were from Saudi Arabia, but the OP didn't say it was anything like that.

She just seems to think they'll all clutch their pearls, gasp, and she'll be the center of attention. When in reality, they're all millenials and probably don't give a poo poo.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
“(R word) your teacher and then beat up your classmates”

Really want to know what the R-word is that makes this sentence make sense.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Post was deleted and locked

Reddit mod posted:

People commenting about whether it’s okay or not for bf and friends to make these jokes are missing the point of your post imo. You can’t stop them, but you can be uncomfortable with being in a relationship where you know your partner makes these kinds of jokes (even if he doesn’t do it in front of you). This behavior indicates you have different values (at least to the extent of “racist jokes are bad”), and it’s understandable if you want to be with someone who shares those values, and someone who has friends you can get along with (or at least tolerate). Those are not unreasonable standards for a relationship, and if you don’t feel like your opinion of him can recover from these revelations, it might be time to move on.

reddit: a place for discussion

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

UltraRed posted:

The four-letter one that ends in -pe

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

UltraRed posted:

Rape, but I had to read it a few times

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HOT BREAD! posted:

Post was deleted and locked

reddit: a place for discussion

that's... not terrible advice from the mod, tho?

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
Also none of those are actually jokes. Your garbage boyfriend and his garbage friends all really believe that poo poo and they think that about *you.*

P.S. What they say when you're not around is 100x worse if possible.

Murder them all.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that's... not terrible advice from the mod, tho?

It's great advice, I was referring more to the fact it got locked because people couldn't stop arguing over whether or not the guy and his friends are racist than actually help OP.

HOWEVER I scrolled down and looked at the comments and people are actually trying to help her, so it is I who is the idiot here (typical)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

im permabanned poster n-wordstomper29m

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hardwood Floor posted:

:stare: How do you go about reporting this dude like ASAP

Through the medical licensing board or state agency, along with all the texts. Still an uphill battle from there and unlikely to do anything to actually help the mom who is too far gone now.

In my city we had a case recently involving a psychiatrist who was manipulating his vulnerable female patients into abusive sexual relationships while under his "care", including hooking them on ketamine and other controlled substances he was writing prescriptions for to further enforce control over them. The DEA was interested in that when one of the women broke free and talked to the police, and as a result this dude lost his license (but did not go to jail!). There was an article about him the other day attempting to open a life coaching and holistic health practice.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
*chews straw, squinting into sunset* back to this ole rodeo...................

quote:

My (30F) husband (29M) won't brush his teeth and things are getting rough.

[new]
Throwaway. My husband and I have been married for almost 3 years. We met in college, starting dating, but broke up shortly after my graduation. I moved to one side of the country where I'm originally from, he moved to the other side where he's originally from. After a couple years, we reconnected and started dating again long distance. Every couple weeks we would take turns visiting each other. During these visits, we would brush our teeth together at night. I thought it was cute.

After a while doing long distance, we decided to move in together. My job was going to let me work remotely, so I moved across the country and we got a new apartment together. Pretty soon after we moved in together, he started brushing his teeth less and less. Eventually he told me that he doesn't normally brush his teeth regularly at all. He doesn't like toothpaste and he doesn't like how it makes his mouth feel. His system was that he had a "goal" of brushing his teeth on Fridays. I'd say for the first year of our marriage, he met that goal less than 50% of the time.

For the most part, I thought it was weird, but not too bad. Every now and then, his breath would stink, and I would say something. We could joke about it, and I could ask him to brush and he wouldn't take offense. There was one time he decided it was time to get into the habit so he brushed his teeth every day for like two weeks, but then stopped.

We recently moved back to my side of the country for some job opportunities that I had here. It was hard for him to move away from his family, but he's been a champ about it.

I'm not sure why, but the bad breath and brushing has also recently become a bigger issue. He's been getting more sensitive and upset when I ask him to brush. A couple weeks ago, we were getting hot and heavy, but I kept smelling his bad breath and it was honestly turning me off. I asked if we could both freshen up before going any further and he got really upset. He told me that there are already so many things he's changed in his life for me, why don't I accept him the way he is, and that I'm manipulating him. He said that if his breath was such a turnoff, then he accepted that I wouldn't want to have sex with him. I couldn't believe that he would rather not brush his teeth and not have sex, than take a minute to fix such a small problem.

We argued for a while, but then I apologized that I made him feel like I didn't accept him or want him the way he is. I guess I finally understood how strongly he felt about it and that he wasn't going to ever become a regular brusher. It's not a deal breaker, he's an amazing partner and I love him to death. I didn't understand it at all, but I accepted that's how he felt.

Things have been pretty good since then, until last night when I could tell that he wanted to have sex, but his breath was awful. So I didn't respond to any of his advances. This morning he asked me why and I told him. And he got upset. He told me it really hurt his feelings and that I'm making him feel like there's something wrong with him.

At this point, I'm just stuck! I never thought I was being controlling or manipulative when I asked him to brush, I thought it was a reasonable request before having sex! And then when he said he'd rather not brush and not have sex, I thought I was complying with that too! He's saying that he's hurt because he feels like I'm not attracted to him and I'm not accepting him, but actually this whole fuss makes me want sex even less.

I'm just astounded that this is a real situation I'm in. We're such a good team otherwise and it feels so stupid to have these arguments over something so petty. But I can't turn off my physical response to his bad breath, so I'm at a complete loss. What do I do, Reddit??

UPDATE: Thanks for all the responses. I have a lot of thinking to do. I think there is definitely some texture aversion going on, and maybe some depression/difficulty adjusting after the move. I think I was also letting myself believe the nonsense that he accepts so casually, that it's totally normal not to brush, so then I was walking on eggshells around the issue and doubting myself. Hopefully we can have some more productive conversations about it.

TL,DR: My (30F) husband (29M) gets upset when I ask him to brush his teeth before we have sex, but also gets upset when I won't have sex with him because his breath reeks. He has completely stopped brushing his teeth and said that this is how he is. Don't know what to do.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
AITA for pushing my BF to finish the show we started?(Steven Universe)

quote:

Steven Universe is a show that is as important to me as a show can be and with Steven Universe: Future around the corner and my boyfriend not having seen the show but always wanting too we decided to watch the whole series so we can experience new episodes together.

He is used to long 45min- 1hour shows and is in the habit of watching 1-2 episodes of something at a time. That habit carried over to the 11min/ep SU more often than my binge-watching-self would have liked. He gets emotional and wants time to process things, which i understand, its an emotional show. He cried like 30 times across 5 seasons and seemed to love the show as much as i do.

2 months AFTER Future starts airing we finish Change Your Mind, the series proper finale. We do so while he's on a week long vacation on a Wednesday. When i suggested hoping right into it he said he wanted to wait a bit to watch the movie. Over the next few days we *binge watch* all of Locke and Key(1 season) because its new and the comic was important to him. Every day Thursday-Sunday I'd bring up that we have time to watch the 90 minute SU movie when it felt appropriate. I brought it up too much and "time to process" turned to "weeks" turned to "months"

Last night he insisted on starting a new longer show and he picked Sherlock. i teased that the first episode was practically the same run time as the SU movie. that started an argument that lasted a few hours about how I'm not respecting his desires and how we always have to watch what I want to watch because he's easy to please and im a harsh film critic. I break down in tears because I feel like if he doesnt want to finish the show it means i forced him into watching a show he didn't like. he insisted thats not true but the fight ended with him deciding he didnt want to watch the movie, or Future, period. and if he ever changes his mind it wont be for a long long time. The prospect of us sharing a fond memory of the movie and me being able to make an anniversary mix tape of steven universe songs is utterly destroyed.

If anyone has a partner who bingewatchs/savorseverything and you dont, I'd really appreciate the feedback and advice.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

HOT BREAD! posted:

*chews straw, squinting into sunset* back to this ole rodeo...................

He has depression or OCD

Or someone sodomized him with a toothbrush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

AITA for pushing my BF to finish the show we started?(Steven Universe)

Lol

My wife dragged me into watching SU with her last summer and once I got over the first batch of episodes seeming like kid stuff I ended up loving the whole thing and binging it with her. Lots of subtext and themes for an adult audience if you give it a chance. But yeah, geez, this girl is really not capable of taking a hint and that she bursts into tears with a guilt-trip when he doesn't want to watch it is pathetic and terrible communication.