Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I think I'm about done with this game for now. Should I bother going to the galactic center? I heard it takes a few hours. I did all the other main quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Han Nehi posted:

I think I'm about done with this game for now. Should I bother going to the galactic center? I heard it takes a few hours. I did all the other main quests.

Once you finish the listed quests you still have to finish the main quest.
Explore all the planets in the galaxy.
Then you can stop.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

Once you finish the listed quests you still have to finish the main quest.
Explore all the planets in the galaxy.
Then you can stop.

No, that's wrong

He has to travel to the other 255 galaxies and explore all of their planets, too

Then he may stop

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yes this.

My journey to the galactic centre has been totally unsuccessful. When I decided to try, it turns out there's a void, must be over 1000 ly across at least that has to be navigated around. IIRC I got the shits with it and went through another black hole.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Do any of the main quest lines have worthwhile payoffs, even if it's just some cool visuals? I've got very side-tracked with making pretty bases and other than the Artemis line haven't progressed them too far. I mean I'm going to assume no, as I just did the more recent aquatic update quest line and it was another sequence of shallow "oh god everything is hosed" data logs.

I think I just want someone I meet in this game who has any semblance of plot longevity to be uncomplicatedly content or have a happy conclusion for once.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fwoderwick posted:

Do any of the main quest lines have worthwhile payoffs, even if it's just some cool visuals? I've got very side-tracked with making pretty bases and other than the Artemis line haven't progressed them too far. I mean I'm going to assume no, as I just did the more recent aquatic update quest line and it was another sequence of shallow "oh god everything is hosed" data logs.

I think I just want someone I meet in this game who has any semblance of plot longevity to be uncomplicatedly content or have a happy conclusion for once.

The main Artemis line has you portaling to some pretty fancy places. Nothing you couldn't eventually find on your own though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I liked the different Atlas stations. The pay-off for completing that is essentially access to more back story.

Not a main mission but I like the diving helmet I got from one.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The end of the main story destroyed my interest and immersion.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What are the things that get you free stuff that I might otherwise miss. For example I've been saving up for a Freighter but I guess I could have just had a random encounter that gave me one?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

doingitwrong posted:

What are the things that get you free stuff that I might otherwise miss. For example I've been saving up for a Freighter but I guess I could have just had a random encounter that gave me one?

After a few hours of game time, and you make 5 jumps, you get caught up in a fight when jumping in and the freighter invites you aboard and gives it to you.
Always smart to make sure that 5th jump is to a rich system for a higher chance of a nicer freighter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay so this is what all that egg stuff was all about I guess

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1230129719426846721

They seem to have resurrected Rutger Hauer to narrate the trailer too which is neat.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"Fixed an issue that caused Black Holes not to warp players if they were somehow approached on foot."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Please tell me they let us own more ships

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
what the gently caress lmao

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If those ships were any more Giger-inspired they’d have a control rod you’d have to ease yourself onto.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"- Added an instant split button to allow players to quickly divide stacks of items in half.

- Players can now hold down buttons to increase or decrease stack sizes, rather than having to press repeatedly."

Thank you Space Jesus and all your egg children.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so you grow your ship from an egg bought with Quicksilver at the Nexus?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
ctrl f quicksilver match not found

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

If those ships were any more Giger-inspired they’d have a control rod you’d have to ease yourself onto.

Connecting my vr headset and pulling out the “flight chair” for maximum immersion

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Installing flared base accessory on Move controller

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Ok, so you grow your ship from an egg bought with Quicksilver at the Nexus?

Yeah, and it's loving expensive at 3200. For comparison's sake, my save has 150 Quicksilver after nearly 160 hours of playing. And since I've always ignored this part of the game, I don't even know how to get Quicksilver. I think it's only possible with multiplayer? :shepface:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

drat, I thought it was a questline that started at the Nexus. I had a few thousand QS before Beyond and wasted it on cosmetic stuff which I subsequently lost for whatever reason. Pre-Beyond at least you could do "regular" missions to earn QS but I don't know how it works now.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

you just do daily and weeklies from the anomaly to get qs

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Legs Benedict posted:

you just do daily and weeklies from the anomaly to get qs

just tried my hand at my first anomaly mission and got stuck because the planet I got warped to doesn't spawn the poo poo I'm supposed to collect here

guess I have to hope the next one goes better

or gets at least more than 250 qs

:sigh: Doing a grind to start a grind. Grindception.

Edit:

Ah, gently caress this poo poo. It's a work week and I'd rather play something fun then do mindless busywork. I get enough of that from work and at least my boss pays me for stealing my time

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 19, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh man, new update. I'm eggcited.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Oh man, new update. I'm eggcited.

This update had me do a 180° from excited to disappointed in about five minutes. Am I the only one who thinks it's a bad idea to hide the major part of your update behind so many artificial hoops? Until now, basically every update had something for every player. Now it's something you can only use if you played this relaxed exploration game like a standard MMO, which sits really badly with me. For some reason, it really pisses me off!

The saddest thing however? If it were possible, I would loving give Hello Games money to buy their stupid premium currency. But just to spite me personally, that's the one dumb thing the devs didn't think of. So know I have to grind for weeks apparently, or I'm not allowed to have this cool new thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Libluini posted:

just tried my hand at my first anomaly mission and got stuck because the planet I got warped to doesn't spawn the poo poo I'm supposed to collect here

guess I have to hope the next one goes better

or gets at least more than 250 qs

:sigh: Doing a grind to start a grind. Grindception.

Edit:

Ah, gently caress this poo poo. It's a work week and I'd rather play something fun then do mindless busywork. I get enough of that from work and at least my boss pays me for stealing my time

Make sure you give yourself a second to orient before blasting full speed at a planet. Sometimes the warp spawns you right in front of a planet but the one you want to land on is somewhere behind you.

What were you looking for?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Make sure you give yourself a second to orient before blasting full speed at a planet. Sometimes the warp spawns you right in front of a planet but the one you want to land on is somewhere behind you.

What were you looking for?

Ancient bones. The planet claims it has them, but it's also a water planet with tons of tiny islands. I'm speculating the reason for my failure to find any is that the ancient burial sites can't spawn underwater and the islands are too small or something dumb like that.

But anyway, while I was flailing around on that planet, I noticed I got angrier and angrier the longer I failed to achieve anything. I finally realized it was because I actually didn't want to do this poo poo

I'm playing NMS to relax while exploring, or to build dumb bases, or to smoosh weird materials together to craft poo poo. Running missions like a loving MMO is nowhere in that list.

So, I simply stopped playing and spend some time with my cat instead. I'll probably try again on the weekend, when I have more time. Or maybe not, this affair really soured me on the game.

Funny story: This morning I was contemplating if I should renew my FFXIV-subscription, but put the decision on hold until I could get back from work. When I got home I learned of the new NMS-update, got my giant heap of disappointed and got so oddly furious about being forced into a MMO, I decided against it simply because all thoughts of thinks like "dailies" make me really irrationally angry right now. So Hello Games basically accidentally destroyed some tiny amount of profit Square Enix would have made from me if they had dropped their update just one day later. :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Libluini posted:

This update had me do a 180° from excited to disappointed in about five minutes. Am I the only one who thinks it's a bad idea to hide the major part of your update behind so many artificial hoops? Until now, basically every update had something for every player. Now it's something you can only use if you played this relaxed exploration game like a standard MMO, which sits really badly with me. For some reason, it really pisses me off!

The saddest thing however? If it were possible, I would loving give Hello Games money to buy their stupid premium currency. But just to spite me personally, that's the one dumb thing the devs didn't think of. So know I have to grind for weeks apparently, or I'm not allowed to have this cool new thing.
No, I agree with you. Like, the dailies/weeklies are "good" when you're playing but I've never felt pressure to do them because they were just for decorative trinkets, and it's a lovely way to 'engage' players with your game by forcing them to login on a schedule for a currency rather than just letting them accrue it by playing the game at their own rate.

Hopefully they'll have a weekend event because they generally give you over a thousand qs for the same amount of work as a daily.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
The alien ships are going to be out and about just like any other exotic as well, i believe. The quest line is just one way to get it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Libluini posted:

If you're really that opposed to the grind, you can straight up save edit yourself as much quicksilver as you want.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ZombieCrew posted:

The alien ships are going to be out and about just like any other exotic as well, i believe. The quest line is just one way to get it.

Oh thank god

Edit: I can find nothing on this, someone please confirm.

The release notes seem to suggest that as you progress through the egg quest you can upgrade different components of the ship, but nothing about them spawning in the wild.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 20, 2020

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah I'm pretty sure you can just mod or save edit and give yourself as much Quiksilver as you want. you could even probably put the egg in your inventory. 🤷‍♂️

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

lol once you finish the early egg poo poo you gotta wait 24hours

gently caress the quicksilver stuff, this fuckin stinkies

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i mean, sean murray did tweet that recipe for growing an egg that required you to wait a day between each step

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know if it's that I was waiting on a new version of Windows or what, but I was technically in offline mode for the last couple days. If your community research isn't working on tier 2 of some decorative rocks, get the update in and then you'll be able to resync and get quicksilver again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

If you're really that opposed to the grind, you can straight up save edit yourself as much quicksilver as you want.

I'm playing on PS4, so I'm straight up hosed. :shepface:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Legs Benedict posted:

lol once you finish the early egg poo poo you gotta wait 24hours

gently caress the quicksilver stuff, this fuckin stinkies

Xik posted:

"wait one day"

it's just commentary on the crafting system

Lmfao.

This game man. Why are most of the design decisions so polarising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ship is only available by purchasing the egg with Quicksilver.

You can earn 250 qs/day, and more on weekends. Also I'm pretty sure If you start in the middle of the week, you can do the previous dailys for that week (start on Wednesday, you can do Mon, Tues, and We'd for 750 total). There's also some sort of weekly community bonus.

Should only be a week and a couple days of logging on; not that bad and really, it's sort of spoiled of us to complain about a minor gateway to some awesome free content, considering how much they've done over the last four years without charging us anything extra.