Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If Stadia did proper save states playing on your phone could be pretty useful but afaik it doesn’t do them so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Downloading and installing poo poo (games, updates, DLC, firmware, drivers, OS) are an inconvenience that can suck when you have like an hour per evening to game in a heavy work week.

Why the gently caress is that not the start and end of any discussion on why playing in such a bad way might be worth considering for some?
Do the current implementations from Google, Microsoft, and Nvidia still somehow have that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Downloading and installing poo poo (games, updates, DLC, firmware, drivers, OS) are an inconvenience that can suck when you have like an hour per evening to game in a heavy work week.

Why the gently caress is that not the start and end of any discussion on why playing in such a bad way might be worth considering for some?
Do the current implementations from Google, Microsoft, and Nvidia still somehow have that?

they do lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It’s been discussed to death. If a user has a fast enough connect for Stadia to play well, they probably have a fast enough connection to make downloading mostly trivial. PC,Xbox, Ps4, all have ways to preload games or update in idle states while you are at work.

There is a stronger argument for “I casually play a bunch of different games with friends and don’t like playing hard drive management” than “Downloading things is hard.” Even with the first one, a massive SSD is cheaper than having a Stadia. It also only works when you have a decent library of games on the service. I personally use GFN for a number of games that I just don’t want to have installed but that’s currently free and significantly cheaper (because I don’t have to buy lovely hardware) even once it isn’t free. And I’m considering pulling the plug on it because it removed blizzard games.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'd like a picture of the Mako reactor where my cloud saves are stored

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
They're complaining about unskippable splash screens again, like devs have some sort of obligation to have their games start instantly. After all, that's their right as Stadians. They are first class gaming citizens who are paying for a premium experience.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

...! posted:

They're complaining about unskippable splash screens again, like devs have some sort of obligation to have their games start instantly. After all, that's their right as Stadians. They are first class gaming citizens who are paying for a premium experience.

The devs for PS4 launch title Killzone: Shadow Fall went massively out of their way and had to negotiate pretty hard with a bunch of companies so when you launch the game you're just immediately at the main menu. It's actually an insanely fast game to install and play, probably the fastest title of this gen at least in the "is over 15 gigs" tier of games. But the game unfortunately floundered in other ways so this wasn't also done for other games, unfortunately.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here I am on my hour long train commute to work. Good thing I got my phone, stadia controller, USB cord, and clamp to play some Destiny 2.

Edit: My phone died after 5 minutes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

univbee posted:

The devs for PS4 launch title Killzone: Shadow Fall went massively out of their way and had to negotiate pretty hard with a bunch of companies so when you launch the game you're just immediately at the main menu. It's actually an insanely fast game to install and play, probably the fastest title of this gen at least in the "is over 15 gigs" tier of games. But the game unfortunately floundered in other ways so this wasn't also done for other games, unfortunately.

Yeah, unskippable splash screens are unskippable on purpose; it's not some weird technical limitation of PCs or current gen consoles. There were plenty of NES games with unskippable splash screens.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

How are you posting with a dead phone?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Streaming as a solution makes the most sense when you have a varied library of titles users want to regularly switch between which is why Stadia has 30 games that all cost full retail price.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

...! posted:

if they played on pc they could mod them out

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

How are you posting with a dead phone?

Their daily driver is an iphone but they bought a pixel just for stadia.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Weedle posted:

Their daily driver is an iphone but they bought a pixel just for stadia.

:same:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

Phone streaming will matter more, though, when form factor appropriate content comes. No one wants to plat Football Manager on a cell phone screen.

Count me as the idiot who wants to stream Scrabble on my phone instead of downloading it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok maybe I don’t understand this whole steaming thing.

I got back from my trip and I finally got around to trying GeForce now and...

It’s been downloading the game for 10+ min and it says it has another 16+ left?

Does it do this every time? I thought it was an instant install?

What am I doing wrong here?

Edit

Going swimmingly!

I could have walked upstairs downloaded the game and been playing by now on my PC.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

Now playing on your phone is an unimportant novelty, but weeks ago it was more evidence that Stadia was total poo poo. Interesting how the tides move, when Stadia launches features that feature is apparently no longer important.

Phone streaming will matter more, though, when form factor appropriate content comes. No one wants to plat Football Manager on a cell phone screen.

Stadia !== All game streaming services.

"Form-factor appropriate content" would also be games you wouldn't actually stream and instead use a dedicated handheld for, negating the whole point of having "proper" games on your portable device in the first place, using the existing Google app storefront to play a game actually ON the device.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Ok maybe I don’t understand this whole steaming thing.

I got back from my trip and I finally got around to trying GeForce now and...

It’s been downloading the game for 10+ min and it says it has another 16+ left?

Does it do this every time? I thought it was an instant install?

What am I doing wrong here?

Edit

Going swimmingly!

I could have walked upstairs downloaded the game and been playing by now on my PC.

Yeah I ran into this too. Do you own the DLC? Because if you own the DLC you need to download the whole game. The GFN version only covers the base game apparently.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I dunno why but I just get the feeling stadia is gonna be really huge in the future. The fact that game devs and studios are even willing to consider developing games for the platform gives me a lot of confidence! I get the feeling that google must have made it really easy to port games and develop games for stadia.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Yeah I ran into this too. Do you own the DLC? Because if you own the DLC you need to download the whole game. The GFN version only covers the base game apparently.

Yeah I have the DLC.

So that’s why it was only 11 gigs then.

Well I guess I won’t be playing the Witcher on that then

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Some ppl act as if their subscription is 30-40 a month. I would definitely understand cancelling but come one , $10 a month is nothing. And if you are complaining about that I want to see your internet bill every month. You can easily pay $10 a month in "fees"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I have the DLC.

So that’s why it was only 11 gigs then.

Well I guess I won’t be playing the Witcher on that then

Yeah there's a lot of kinks to be worked out with GFN. A lot of games are only half-supported and have to be downloaded in full every time. Most of them are small enough to not matter, but obviously not in this case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah there's a lot of kinks to be worked out with GFN. A lot of games are only half-supported and have to be downloaded in full every time. Most of them are small enough to not matter, but obviously not in this case.

Fair enough. When it did load it ran perfectly on my 15 inch MBP on the couch. It didn’t seem to make the machine want to melt and I was able to max everything out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

that 10 bucks a month could go towards literally anything else and be better spent though

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Heran Bago posted:

Incidentally the PS4 gets around this a little by having a sleep/standby mode which is always online. Game/system updates typically auto download once a day in the background I think. Same with android phones.

I like this but think it's only practical on a locked down system, so probably isn't feasible on a PC. Is there even a way to put your computer to sleep but still have it connect to the Internet and run certain programmes?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Incidentally the PS4 gets around this a little by having a sleep/standby mode which is always online. Game/system updates typically auto download once a day in the background I think. Same with android phones.

I like this but think it's only practical on a locked down system, so probably isn't feasible on a PC. Is there even a way to put your computer to sleep but still have it connect to the Internet and run certain programmes?

Why not just use a pin log in? That’s how my windows 10 system is set up. It auto locks

:shrug:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, the whole "game/system updates take forever to download and install and I only have an hour of free time a day" thing is a solved problem with current gen systems and their automatic updates. If your internet's so slow that automatic updates still take too long then it's also going to be too slow to use Stadia.

Stadia not having to do game updates is pretty irrelevant.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kin posted:

IIRC the PS4 will continue the downloads you've queued up while in rest mode if you enabled that option, but you need PS Plus for it to search for updates automatically and apply them while you're gone. X1 constantly keeps everything updated by default, the Switch automatically updates games by default, but requires confirmation for system updates if a game is paused (the X1 will happily shut it down)

I love that the Stadia sub defense is now "well, you can afford to waste $10"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cams posted:

gonna stream granblue fantasy to my phone in 4k

Hell yeah, now throwing balls in Pokemon Go can lag in latest flagship phones as much as it does in 5-year old hand-me-downs

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Hell yes, we're come back to "PS Poor". loving stadia base* using peasants

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

...! posted:

Stadia not having to do game updates is pretty irrelevant.

Not even sure they do update the games....*borderlands 3 whistles innocently.*

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Heran Bago posted:

Most versions on stadia just don't have the recent patches. Problem solved.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

VideoGames posted:

You forgot that's a Randy Pitchford plot to sabotage Stadia!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

I feel like the peak Stadia commercial will be an ad that looks like an excerpt from the diary of Anne Frank except with a guy playing Tomb Raider 2013 on his phone with the volume muted desperately hoping his wife doesn't hear him in the attic.

Then they won't know why people are upset and the subreddit will say there's no such thing as bad PR and congratulate Google for being innovative.

:lol:
Don't they have a Wolfenstein game she could be playing instead?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Dies Stadia has some kind of messaging system?

It has to have one, right, since building messaging apps is what everyone at google loves doing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wheany posted:

It has to have one, right, since building messaging apps is what everyone at google loves doing.

Nope!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wheany posted:

I think it is an implied message that if you bought a stadia you are a chump. You do not have to say it, people just get it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bofast posted:

:lol:
Don't they have a Wolfenstein game she could be playing instead?

It has two, if you count the alternate universe version of the original Wolfenstein found within Youngblood.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

VideoGames posted:

They finally updated Borderlands 3 the other day.

Right now the problem is with Football Manager 2020, which is one of the marquee titles that they announced will show off the Power of Stadia and wow everybody. It's a sim game that apparently is pretty popular with soccer fans.

They just released a major update that apparently changed a lot, to the point that a lot of people consider it pretty much essential now. The other platforms got the update a couple of weeks ago, but Stadia is still running the old version. Annoyed Stadia FM2020 owners have been angrytweeting at the dev, who says that they sent the update to Google for review at the same time they sent the updates to the other platforms but still have not heard back from them.

Now the FM2020 posters have been angryposting on the Stadia subreddit about it. The main responses they're getting from other Stadians are "just play it without the update; the game technically still works" and "if you're so picky that you absolutely refuse to play it without the update, then be patient and buy another game while you're waiting. FM's not the only game on Stadia, you know." Lotta accusations of entitlement issues.

Crickets from Google about whatever is going on.

For all the screeching that Google did about "LOOK AT HOW MUCH BETTER THE STADIA VERSION IS THAN THE OTHERS" about this one specific game, it is absolutely astonishing that they are putting zero effort into doing even the bare minimum with it.

If that's not proof that Google gives zero fucks about Stadia, I don't know what would convince you. This is a dead platform walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

...! posted:

It's a sim game that apparently is pretty popular with soccer fans.
That's one way to put it - that franchise has been pretty much in the Steam "top ten games by current player count" chart 24/7 for years. There's roughly 53,000 people playing it right now on Steam, which isn't bad for a glorified spreadsheet all things considered.