Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Harry Potter makes a lot more sense if you realize the reason you never hear about Hufflepuffs in Harry Potter is because they are avoiding that snitch Harry Potter so they can get blasted in the woods

Why would they go to the woods when their rooms are next to the kitchens and the adult in charge is Prof. Potts the herbology teacher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nessa posted:

I thought Hufflepuff was supposed to be about kindness.

Loyalty

they're the dedicated sidekick house

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Help! The Bartender I Hooked Up With Has Banned Me From My Favorite Bar.

quote:

Banned and gaslit: I was a regular at this bar for most of last year, going at least once a week. I became good friends with one of the bartenders and started to develop feelings for him. Eventually, I asked him out. He said that he was seeing someone else and they were exclusive. I accepted the answer, and we continued to interact as friends at the bar. A couple of weeks later, after his shift was over, a few staff members of the bar and me and a friend all went to another bar. The bartender was there too, and basically, he invited me to his place after we kissed. We hooked up, and the following morning, he sent me a message asking me not to come to the two bars where he works until we had a conversation about the hookup. He went totally silent for a few days, and when we finally talked, he was 45 minutes late and only ended up talking to me for 10 minutes. He said he was embarrassed about the hookup. I told him there was nothing to be embarrassed about. We decided to keep being friends. I went to his bar a couple of times after, and he was totally hot and cold, sometimes being friendly and other times ignoring me for an hour, even though he had been serving me drinks. He kept doing this at his second bar, and at one point, I called him a coward while there were no other customers there and only one other employee. Since that incident, he has told the staff and managers at the bar where I was a regular that he feels uncomfortable around me and that I was yelling at him. (I didn’t yell.) He told me I was banned from that bar. I spoke to the manager, and he said I should wait a couple of weeks until tempers cool before going back. This weekend, a bartender who used to work at this bar told me he heard from multiple people that I “went psycho.”

I feel like the bartender I hooked up with is making me out to be a stereotypical “crazy” woman. I recognize I confronted him at work, but I genuinely don’t think that justifies banning me from both bars and telling people that I’m crazy or whatever. I feel like I am being gaslit. He is treating me like such a villain even though he has been inconsiderate to me this entire time. I want to speak again to the manager because I feel like I am being unfairly treated. What do you think I should do?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Harry Potter World was founded by Slytherins to create strife

Me [21F] with my parents [50's M & F] and siblings, they're planning to go to the Harry Potter World without me. I've been a fan since I was 9.

quote:

Hello!

So, I've been a huge fan of Harry Potter since about 8-9 years old: own and read all the books, watched all the movies, knew everything about the characters, etc. My family also likes Harry Potter, but to a much more normal level: watched all the movies, liked them, but nothing else besides that, anytime they had a question about the movies they would ask me, and of course I'd gladly answer any doubts. Now everyone takes HP as nothing serious, just some cool movies and books.

So, since about April it was confirmed that I was traveling to another country for a summer school of two weeks in another country (YAY!!) in July, and I'm still so happy and excited for it, everything is paid for thansk to a scholarship and it's gonna be amazing.

Anyways, fast foward to last week, my mom said as a joke 'Let's go to Harry Potter World in July' (We live near California, some hours away). I took it as a joke, something that was not serious and said something like 'Don't forget about me lol, Im gonna be gone for two weeks.'.

Then, a few days after that, my parents started to seriously hint that truly they (parents + siblings) were planning to go. Once I noticed that they were serious, I asked why would they go...I mean, ANYONE can go if they want, but I saw no actual reason why would they actually plan to go if they didn't like HP that much, to the extent of paying several hundreds of dollars to go instead of going somewhere else.

They said that my dad boss suggested the idea to go, but never put a date on it, just said "Let's visit it this summer". So it would be his family and mine. Since his kids are school aged, summer means between June and August 7th, and college for me starts before August 1st, so I'd be busy during that first week until December.

Anyways, I started to plead them to not go on that date, and since there's not a fixed date they could talk about it and put a day when I'm home and to please not exclude me. At first I said it in a light manner, to look not too desperate, but this week I've hearing the same commentaries and pleaded again to not leave me behind 100% seriously. It is not a joke to me, since I was a little girl it's been always my dream to try Butterbeer, to buy a Gryffindor scarf, to go and eat at Hog's Head...you get me.

I know that my dad boss was the one who suggested the idea and the one who will say when, and its kinda hard that my dad can go against his word (if my dad boss hadn't said anything, we wouldn't had even thought about going, its an expense that we can make but prefer not to).

(This doesn't mean that we or my dad go to and spend on everything this guy suggests, but since we are not going out on vacations this year this small travel might as well count as that.)

Reddit, I know myself and I know I'm gonna be severely depressed and down for months if they go without me. If they go now without me they won't go later on X-mas since we're not that rich, they're gonna go just because its more of a compromise instead of true leisure and this is my last "long" summer before having adultier vacations for the rest of my life. I won't have time to go or money, I'd be having other expenses.

What can I do? Or if I can't do anything, what can I do to get over it or fight the depressing fallout? I'm almost 100% sure that if I see a bottle of Butterbeer or even a small chocolate frog that they bring me for pity I'm gonna cry my eyes out and probably lock myself in my room for a whole day, maybe two. Yeah, that bad it can be.

tl;dr: Family probably will go to Harry Potter World when I'm not home because of my dad boss, I've been a fan for more than 10 years, will get depressed if they go without me. What can I do?

My sister (37F) accuses me (22F) of favoring my nephew (9M) over my niece (9F)

quote:

Background: I have two sisters: “Anna” (38F) and “Michelle” (37F). Yes, I was a surprise baby. Michelle has one daughter, “Lily” (9F). Anna and her husband had difficulty conceiving and adopted “Ben” (9M) from foster care when he was 3. Anna later had two more sons: “Gabriel” (5M) and “Lucas” (2M).

I enjoy spending time with my niblings, but I do admit that Ben and I have more in common (comics, video games, etc) than Lily and I do. Recently, Ben got into Harry Potter. He has dyslexia, but he loves listening to the audiobook versions. I also love Harry Potter. For his 10th birthday, I am planning to take him to Universal Studios to see all the Harry Potter stuff.

Recently, Michelle overheard me and Anna discussing this surprise. She was furious, accused me of favoritism, and demanded that I take Lily, too. Lily hates thrill rides and Harry Potter and would be miserable on the trip. I also don’t want to spend all that money on someone who wouldn’t enjoy it. When I took Ben and Lily to a local amusement park this summer, all Lily wanted to do was sit on a bench and watch YouTube.

Michelle told me that if I don’t take Lily, I should do something equally expensive for her tenth birthday, which is a month after Ben’s. She then asked why I would want to spend time with Ben and that he is annoying. Ben does have some issues resulting from the abuse before he was adopted (separation anxiety, learning disability, and he acts a little immature sometimes), but Lily’s not perfect either. She’s whiny and doesn’t really have interests outside of YouTube and clothes. Anna got mad at Michelle for dissing her kid, and now they’re mad at each other.

What should I do? The Universal trip is already paid for, and I don’t think I have to (and can’t afford to) give Lily an equally expensive present, as I’m still a student.

TL;DR! my sister thinks I am favoring my niece over my nephew and that I should get my niece an equally expensive birthday gift

ETA: I have already bought Lily an American Girl doll and a gift card to Justice to give to her on her birthday, both things she really wants.

UPDATE: Michelle sent me a text asking if I’d decided what I was doing about the birthday gifts. I texted her back that I don’t think Lily would enjoy the trip and explained what happened at the local park. Michelle answered, “Why is everyone on Lily’s case about YouTube? All kids enjoy electronics. First “Ms. S” and now you!” Ms. S is Lily’s teacher....this makes me think that this has become an issue at school. Michelle added, “I don’t know why you enjoy Ben more than Lily, after all you’re both girls and she’s your only niece”

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DemoneeHo posted:

Help! The Bartender I Hooked Up With Has Banned Me From My Favorite Bar.

excellent

assuming she gets what she wants and talks her way back into the bar... why would you want to go to the place where people think you're an angry drunk who is sexually aggressive to a member of the bar staff? is anyone going to take her side in this situation, or is she just another horny barfly to them?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

teen witch posted:

E: this poor OP

I don't buy that a desire for revenge isn't at least part of it, but yeah, report that gross predatory poo poo.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for confronting someone for rejecting my job application?

So the title makes me sound super petty, I know but hear me out.

I applied for a job in 2018, in a specific service industry. Before that I was studying but working part time in the same industry. I got glowing reviews etc.

I was requested to send my CV and recent photograph to the job (the one I applied for in 2018) and never got a call back.

In December last year, (I am working on my post-post grad right now lol) I got a semi-managerial position with great hours. Since 2018 I have put on weight, due to a hosed relationship and ill health.

Now I find out the guy who owns the service industry job business- which I applied for in 2018- is actually running a business next door to my office, the same business where I applied. In 2018.

I didn’t figure it out right away, but went through my emails and it’s confirmed that it is him. We were introduced because we work so close together, and he sees me doing an excellent job at my office everyday. (also I’m fairly certain he knows, or at least faintly recognizes me from somewhere)

Last week, he came in to sit down in the office- another table- and totally unloaded his entire mental health situation on me, including how he is worried his brother will die from stress and also that his mom died 3 years ago.

I feel like that is inappropriate because we do not know each other at all. We aren’t friends, and while I was sympathetic and gave him what advice I could, I actually want to tell him to gently caress off, respect my space and never speak to me again.

Am I just irrational? That I wasn’t good enough to work in his business two years ago, but am good enough to unload emotional baggage on?

Please let me know, this is bothering me but I feel like I would be TA.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

OK so the running I get. Fight or flight and all that but! not calling till the next morning? lol oof

Leaves out the part where she had already changed the locks on the door and had a new boyfriend.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Tomfoolery posted:

UPDATE My sister (37F) accuses me of favoring my nephew (9M) over my niece (9F)

quote:

A lot of stuff went down yesterday.... My parents took all four grandkids to a trampoline place, so Anna and Michelle and their husbands were over to pick them up and stay for dinner. After dinner, Anna announced that she’s pregnant. I guess because of being over 35 she got this test called an NIPT and now she knows the baby’s gender even though she’s only 12 weeks. It’s a girl. Anna wasn’t supposed to be able to have any kids, so we were all happy for her. Except Michelle.

Once the dads took the kids downstairs to play in the playroom my parents have set up there, Michelle went off. She said Anna went and took the only thing she has left being best at (having the only granddaughter). I was going to leave because I don’t like being around when my sister fight, but then Michelle brought up the Universal trip and Ben. She said that she knows it’s wrong, but after Anna “took” having the oldest grandkid from her, she was at least happy that her kid had nothing wrong with her. Especially in the beginning, where Ben had a lot more issues and was really behind. He could barely talk when he was adopted.

Now, Lily’s teacher and other people (her friends parents) are noticing that Lily might have attention problems. Apparently, the whole trip thing just was one thing too many. Even though she admitted that there’s no reason for it and my parents have always treated us the same, Michelle said she’s always felt competitive and second best to Anna. Now even I seem to like Anna’s kid better.

Anna was kind of shocked at all this. She did get a little mad when Michelle was talking about how Lily was better than Ben, but they ended up crying and hugging each other.

I told Michelle I would return the American Girl doll and take a trip to the AG store (which is within reasonable driving distance of us) and let Lily pick it out herself. Michelle said she and her husband will start the process of getting Lily evaluated.

TL:DR! It wasn’t just about the trip.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fatkraken posted:

:eng101: squib

Where you're born to wizards but have no magic so get to live as a second class citizen in their world and get such wonderful jobs as pretending to be a cat obsessed old lady to spy on children, or clean up (by hand, without magic) after a bunch of insufferable children in a school which constantly reminds you of what you can never have....

yeh the wizarding world sucks

Harry Potter is a lot more fun when you play up the negative aspects of wizarding society, like how they should grow up with awful critical thinking skills and little to no scientific knowledge because they can just use magic to solve everything. Muggles have to actually put work into creating a base of knowledge about the natural world and how to manipulate it to solve problems and improve their quality of life, while wizards just wave a wand to do whatever. This is barely hinted at in the books and usually just a "Wizards dressing like they're from Victorian days because of the isolation" gag or a throwaway line on Pottermore about the rich families protesting the use of a steam train to get to Hogwarts.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Harry Potter is a lot more fun when you play up the negative aspects of wizarding society, like how they should grow up with awful critical thinking skills and little to no scientific knowledge because they can just use magic to solve everything. Muggles have to actually put work into creating a base of knowledge about the natural world and how to manipulate it to solve problems and improve their quality of life, while wizards just wave a wand to do whatever. This is barely hinted at in the books and usually just a "Wizards dressing like they're from Victorian days because of the isolation" gag or a throwaway line on Pottermore about the rich families protesting the use of a steam train to get to Hogwarts.

Also wizards used to just poo poo on the floor before finally adopting plumbing from Muggles.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Also wizards used to just poo poo on the floor before finally adopting plumbing from Muggles.

headcanon: in actual dungeons and dragons, no adventurer can afford bags of holding because they're monopolized by rich incontinent wizards

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Licarn posted:

Am I being used? Is he in love with his roommate?

John and Jane got married for the extra military cash. That's why they have a hosed up and weird relationship and why she lives there rent free.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for having almost no sympathy for my coworker who was hit by a car?

There's quite the back story behind that title.

I work for a school that cares for infants, toddlers and preschoolers. Overall this is a great place, except for this one coworker, who I'll refer to as Sharon. Sharon tries to pick arguments with one of the youngest toddlers in her class, and is even verbally abusive toward him. She will say things like "No one wants to hold you, stop looking at me, you got a problem?, cut it out, shut up, stupid, no one wants to hear you" and the list goes on. I watch her closely, have voiced my concerns to the head teacher in her classroom and also the directors. Nothing was done, so I called the state.

Well, a week ago, Sharon was hit by a car while crossing the street. I didn't witness this, it is only what I heard from management. She was in the hospital, but is back to work today. Has a bit of a limp, but no bruises or cuts that I can see, so my guess is it wasn't that severe. I practically ignored her because I really don't like her.

A little while ago we passed in the hallway, and she asked me, "How come you're not talking to me?" As if she and I talk. We don't. We have never had a conversation outside of a classroom. So my response was, "I'm just not talking to you." I'm known here for not being super social so no one should be surprised if I don't talk to them.

So Sharon goes off on me, not loudly but saying "Ya know I got hit by a car and I could use some support or comfort or something". This implies she hasn't gotten any from anyone, which I think says a lot. We came in at the same time this morning, and management just sort of stared at her, but no warm greetings to Sharon or saying they were glad to have her back.

All I said was "You haven't earned that from me." And walked away from her. She called me a few expletives, that I won't write here. I believe pretty strongly in karma. But now I'm wondering if it was worth it for me to react that way, or if I'm just being an a-hole.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

God drat this is difficult to parse, with the actual story being this guy turned down her job app without even a callback and now has the temerity to treat OP as his personal therapist once she got hired via a different process?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Just like French aristocrats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4IkEoi5TXg

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So the title makes me sound super petty, I know but hear me out.

Yeah, you're an rear end in a top hat.

It's not like he sat down, read OP's resume and went "gently caress this person and their experience I don't like them"

I've even been part of the process at old jobs and have seen a stack of 60+ resumes whittled down to 6-10 on something as simple as "this heading with ye olde english font is stupid ignore this person". It's never personal until they actually meet you and then make a judgement.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tomfoolery posted:

Harry Potter World was founded by Slytherins to create strife

Me [21F] with my parents [50's M & F] and siblings, they're planning to go to the Harry Potter World without me. I've been a fan since I was 9.

I love this one. It's just perfect.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (24M) gf (22F) and I are having a threesome with my ex (24F) but difficulties are arising. How can we work this out?

quote:

OBVIOUS THROWAWAY

NSFW

So to start when I was 18 I got a girl pregnant. It was an accident but it happened. It was a mess as the girl became addicted to drugs and alcohol and I didn’t want the baby to see that.

He lives with me now. He is 6 and recently his mother is clean and has a full job now. She moved actually but we share custody of him.

I have been seeing this amazing girl for 2 years now. We met at school. She is also very understanding of my child situation. And deals great with the baby’s mom.

So great they started to like eachother.... we have all three hooked up twice. First was a spur of the moment and the other was planned. All happened when our kid was at camp.

Just to note we have no interest in a poly. We just enjoy it every now and then.

Anyways we want to make a weekend out of it. She lives pretty far. She wants to see our kid and also see us. How can she stay the night without our kid knowing?

TLDR: gf and I are planning however we are having a bit of a complication. How to get past it.

Hmm, maybe check the custody agreement. Seems pretty standard for their to be some sort of language regarding conjugal visits by the non-custodial parent.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Power Khan posted:

WIBTA if I complained to the owners of a cafe about how long it takes their employee to cut cheese?

this was posted a few weeks ago but i don't think anyone posted this response in the comments from the OP, which is golden

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

pentyne posted:

Yeah, you're an rear end in a top hat.

It's not like he sat down, read OP's resume and went "gently caress this person and their experience I don't like them"

I've even been part of the process at old jobs and have seen a stack of 60+ resumes whittled down to 6-10 on something as simple as "this heading with ye olde english font is stupid ignore this person". It's never personal until they actually meet you and then make a judgement.

Same. Although in the military it's less about whether they get hired and more about what job they will get and where they will go.

"John, how many did you say you needed? 50?"

*grabs the first 50 packets and hands them to John*

"Now let's go to lunch."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's polite and good and should be standard practice to call or email people if they didn't get the job so they at least know, but yeah sometimes the hiring person is some overworked assistant manager for some lovely entry level service work position and they got 50 applicants. Don't take that personally.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
My (F25) husband (M30) killed my cat when I was away and replaced her with an identical cat expecting I wouldn't notice and now I can't trust him and I want a divorce and he thinks I'm overacting

quote:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I live with my husband in a small suburb house we rent, we have one cat - a pitch black yellow-eyed cat called Smokey, I've had her for 7 years. My husband and I have been married for four years, living together for five years - so I had Smokey before this relationship started.

I went on a three week long business trip, when I came home my husband welcomed me and acted completely normal. Smokey didn't welcome me, so I called for her - husband told me she must be napping or something. I found "Smokey" hiding under an armchair in the living room and thought that she must be spooked since I was gone for three weeks. I got down on the ground to reach out and pet her and, well, I've had my cat for seven years. I know every single whisker of hers. The pitch black yellow-eyed cat was NOT Smokey. Once she got out from under the armchair I confirmed that yep, this is NOT MY CAT.

I asked my husband what's up with smokey and he just waved his hand, said she's just excited to see me and whatever. I felt like in a loving Twilight Zone episode. I told my husband that this is not Smokey. He looked at me as if I have grown another head and ask me what do I mean. I repeated that this cat is not my cat. Where is my cat.

He kept assuring me that this is my cat, I honestly started getting kind of panicked and hysterical. I'm not proud of it but I ended up screaming at him to cut the bullshit and tell me what the hell happened to my cat since this is not Smokey. He called me an "insane bitch" and just drove off.

I felt so crazy and shaken, I called my sister to come over. I pulled up photos of Smokey on my laptop, told my sister to compare and to just look at how the cat is behaving - the cat knew the house obviously, but regarded me as a stranger. My sister confirmed that the cat is very similar to Smokey but small details give her off - eye hue, facial shape. All those things you just notice when you own an animal for seven freaking years.

My husband came home later on and my sister and I confronted him again. He finally broke down and admitted that just a few days into my business trip, he STEPPED ON SMOKEY in such a way that it killed her. Broke her ribs, punctured her lungs... he rushed to the vet but the vet could only end her suffering since she was dying. First of all how do you step on a cat this hard, did he stomp? I'm still so shocked and angry. Anyways, following some stupid freaking logic the way people do when they replace a dead hamster or a dead fish to trick their small kids, he spent a week going thru cat shelters everywhere to get a similar cat - color, build, age.

He had THE NERVE to end this by telling me that he doesn't see what the big deal is, he didn't want to tell me about the death because he didn't want to upset me, and he went really "OUT OF HIS WAY" to get a same looking cat, so I have no reason to be angry!

He killed my pet, lied to me, and most of all - what the hell is with that approach, I feel like he considers me to be a stupid child. Either he thinks I'm the stupidest person alive, or HE IS one.

Either way, this is just an absolute breach of everything for me that the same day I told him that I'm packing my poo poo and moving over to my sister's place, also I'm getting the divorce papers next day. He freaked out, crying, saying how much he loves me - then getting angry and yelling at me that I would let a stupid animal ruin all we had. He even tried to use the poor Not-Smokey as a way to keep me, threatening to give her to a kill shelter. Needless to say, I did include Not-Smokey in the stuff I packed - as much as I absolutely hate my husband right now, the poor kitten did nothing wrong.

The following day I was absolutely flooded by messages from both sides of the family. Apparently the story my husband sent out is that he accidentally killed our cat, spent the day and night apologising to me and crying, but I yelled at him and insulted him and yadda yadda. No word about the cat swap and treating me like a child/idiot and calling me an insane bitch when I didn't play along.

How the hell do I continue. Divorce is a must. We didn't have children, the house was rental. I love my in-laws, should I tell them my version? Looking back on all this (I'm writing this two days after it all happened), I'm obviously still insanely upset, but am wondering if I'm throwing my marriage under the bus over a small thing... or are just my in-laws' messages getting to me? How would you react if this happened to you? I'm very emotional now, I'm also absolutely not over Smokey's death.

(Not-Smokey is coping fine and enjoying her life in my sister's household)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

My (F25) husband (M30) killed my cat when I was away and replaced her with an identical cat expecting I wouldn't notice and now I can't trust him and I want a divorce and he thinks I'm overacting

pretty much just write off the in-laws. maybe send some stock response like "I know our divorce is sudden and difficult to understand, but please know that husband's story is not the whole story. I am severing all ties and moving on to heal, please respect my decision" and leave it there. nobody is going to believe that this dude stomped a cat and then tried to pass off an impostor, that is just too wild and idiotic compared to his version of the story

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Is the husband related to the woman who 'accidentally' killed her boyfriend's bird by 'accidentally' stepping on it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I first started reading that, before I got to the part where the husband confessed, I thought she had just had some kind of psychotic break because "someone close to me has suddenly been replaced by an imposter" is a symptom of a rare but well-known psychiatric disorder

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Man even the title of that one made me feel sick. Wtf.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking to speak to the owner because a restaurant won't deliver to me because I'm not in their delivery zone?

I've been a regular at a restaurant for over 20 years and have gotten to know the owner very well. I recently moved about 2 miles away from my old house. I am no longer in the delivery zone of this restaurant. On a recent visit to the restaurant, I was talking to the owner about how sad I was because we moved out of their delivery area. He asked me where I moved to, and I told him where, which is about 1/2 a mile out of their delivery area. He replied, "No problem. I will always deliver to you!"

Last week, I called the restaurant and ordered some food to be delivered. When I gave my address, I stated that I know we are out of the delivery area, but the owner said specifically that he would deliver to me. The woman on the phone said that was not possible. I reiterated the conversation I had with the owner. She said, "Sorry, we cannot delivery out of the area." I asked to speak to the owner. She said he was not in. Then I asked to speak to her manager, she refused and stated there was no way they would deliver to me. I then asked for her name. She refused to give it to me and hung up on me.

Who is the rear end in a top hat here?

I'm also not sure if I should even bring up the incident with the owner.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Unless you're actively stomping around, or you've tripped and have no control over how hard you're putting your foot down, ain't no way someone just kills a pet by stepping on them. I have a 9 lb dog who blends in with the darkness, and she's been...mildly stepped on more than a few times. People pretty much instinctively pull their foot back the second they feel something unexpected with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

It's polite and good and should be standard practice to call or email people if they didn't get the job so they at least know, but yeah sometimes the hiring person is some overworked assistant manager for some lovely entry level service work position and they got 50 applicants. Don't take that personally.

More than that. A semi-serious Indeed posting will get you hundreds or thousands of applications a month. At that point you need to throw out anything that has any immediate issues just to keep your sanity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even beyond that, you will have far more polished, sterling resumes with no obvious flaws than you know what to do with. At that point you have to resort to increasingly picayune and arbitrary culls to get the pile down to a manageable size until you're throwing out resumes by coin flip just to eliminate the "unlucky" candidates.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I hope when that man closes his eyes and goes to his cold, lonely bed for yet another sleepless night, he sees the unblinking, yellow eyes of Smokey the Cat and it tortures him.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Tomfoolery posted:

What the gently caress is a "dad boss"?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You can always judge a person’s worth by how much stock they put in their pets as living animals. Pulling a Cat Switcheroo is one thing, but threatening to kill the new cat is loving sociopathic.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Jesus Christ. Just open the door and let the cat escape like a normal scum bag. Tell the in-laws and let them know they raised a monster.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for asking to speak to the owner because a restaurant won't deliver to me because I'm not in their delivery zone?

I've been a regular at a restaurant for over 20 years and have gotten to know the owner very well. I recently moved about 2 miles away from my old house. I am no longer in the delivery zone of this restaurant. On a recent visit to the restaurant, I was talking to the owner about how sad I was because we moved out of their delivery area. He asked me where I moved to, and I told him where, which is about 1/2 a mile out of their delivery area. He replied, "No problem. I will always deliver to you!"

Last week, I called the restaurant and ordered some food to be delivered. When I gave my address, I stated that I know we are out of the delivery area, but the owner said specifically that he would deliver to me. The woman on the phone said that was not possible. I reiterated the conversation I had with the owner. She said, "Sorry, we cannot delivery out of the area." I asked to speak to the owner. She said he was not in. Then I asked to speak to her manager, she refused and stated there was no way they would deliver to me. I then asked for her name. She refused to give it to me and hung up on me.

Who is the rear end in a top hat here?

I'm also not sure if I should even bring up the incident with the owner.

Like if you've got assurance from the owner (which basically means you're a reliable tipper) I'd go ahead and mention it, because yeah they were promised a special exemption.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Zeeman posted:

What the gently caress is a "dad boss"?

It took me a re-read as well but I realized that every time they type "dad boss" they mean "dad's boss". Apparently the families are close somehow? I'm not sure why the two families would go to a theme park together otherwise.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Unless you're actively stomping around, or you've tripped and have no control over how hard you're putting your foot down, ain't no way someone just kills a pet by stepping on them. I have a 9 lb dog who blends in with the darkness, and she's been...mildly stepped on more than a few times. People pretty much instinctively pull their foot back the second they feel something unexpected with it.

If the husband didn't murder the cat on purpose the only explanation I can think of is that he got drop dead drunk basically the instant he had the house to himself, which isn't really a great alternative.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

haveblue posted:

When I first started reading that, before I got to the part where the husband confessed, I thought she had just had some kind of psychotic break because "someone close to me has suddenly been replaced by an imposter" is a symptom of a rare but well-known psychiatric disorder

I had hoped it was that tbh. I doesn't involve feline murder, holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That's just creepy as gently caress that he thought he could fool the OP into thinking it was still her cat if he got an identical replacement. And then he starts yelling at her about it? :wtc: that's some afternoon sitcom logic