Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The ruined city maps were weird because they managed to be really linear but also difficult to navigate. They looked so same-y that as soon as you got turned around it was pretty easy to end up accidentally backtracking.

I haven't played the Metro games, do they deal with this kind of thing in a better way? They seem extremely cramped and linear but also get rave reviews so I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The ruined city maps were weird because they managed to be really linear but also difficult to navigate. They looked so same-y that as soon as you got turned around it was pretty easy to end up accidentally backtracking.

I had that experience too. There were multiple ways to move through sections but it was really hard to actually understand where you were in relation to where you were trying to go and very easy to end up going in circles. Still, there's a nitpicking element there. It probably would be difficult to find your way around a bombed out, irradiated new york

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It just felt like a massive step back from New Order in a lot of ways. The sub and airship levels are annoying, but a lot of the ruined-city maps seemed really unnecessarily tight and linear. Even some of the big open spaces (usually for boss battles) felt cramped a lot of the time.

Yeah I feel you. Youngblood also seems a bit tight to me

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I haven't played the Metro games, do they deal with this kind of thing in a better way? They seem extremely cramped and linear but also get rave reviews so I'm curious.

It's just not as cramped and not as linear. Metro Exodus in particular sets you free in rather large areas, and while there is a generally correct direction to move, it's never quite that simple.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Icochet posted:

Noita is too hard. I've had my fun dying 8000 times, now I want to live.

This is me for every roguelike. I'm starting to burn out on Hades even though I really love that game because I've died to the final boss like 50 loving times now. I dumped 80 hours into Vagante and I still haven't beaten it. I had to uninstall that game to stop me from trying again.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Spelunky is on another level to every other roguelike. Its basically perfect in its design, the rest seem haphazard and thoughtless in comparison.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ive never been able to play spelunky for more than like 10 minutes because it looks like a newgrounds game from 2009

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

ive never been able to play spelunky for more than like 10 minutes because it looks like a newgrounds game from 2009

I think it looks fine I just don't understand how anybody stays interested in it for more than 10 minutes. Granted I didn't get too far into it but that's because it's a bunch of very samey levels and inevitable death by such exotic and exciting monsters as 'a snake' or 'a spider'.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I don't mind Spelunky, but it's true-- if a game looks/feels like a Flash game odds are I'm going to hate it. It's absolutely snobbish and I don't really care. Make your game "feel" like a game. Thankfully this has gotten way better over the 2010s, but in the early days of this indie market rebirth you would often run across games like 20XX which just don't look/feel right.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

buncha small brained posters above me who can't understand video game genius.

absolute clowns if I do say so myself

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I put like 60 hours into Spelunky on PC and that was after putting maybe 90 in on 360

Spelunky is a god dam master piece

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

site posted:

was being pardoned an alternate ending or am i just forgetting? what i remember was that my entire squad ended up dead and the player character commits suicide

The modern military shooter genre typically has you commit a smorgasbord of horrific war crimes and then celebrates you for it, in a no doubt unintentional display of realism.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Spec Ops the line has incredibly standard cover-shooting mechanics - intentionally so. Part of what made the game cool was that it could pass for a triple-a cover shooting game when it was released, and you could recommend the game without giving away the twist or hinting that there is one because it stood on its own merits and they'd probably play long enough to get mindfucked. Unfortunately that genre has only gotten more streamlined and modern gamers are going to bounce off that game in an hour unless they know something is up, and it's a little lame to recommend a game with the undertale "just play this game, don't read anything about it on forums."

i mean yeah, but it was a good fun game then, and it's not like ultima 4 levels of clunky now, it's a good fun game.

they didn't play a sneaky meta trick in the game design, it's just good and fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You should play mid-oughts cover shooters that are actually bug-tested, then.

No-ones ever said why it's bad, though. It's a good fun game, I liked playing it.

People seem to get really mad because it accused them of something, which is weird bc i'm p sure they didn't commit any war crimes by playing it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

No-ones ever said why it's bad, though. It's a good fun game, I liked playing it.

People seem to get really mad because it accused them of something, which is weird bc i'm p sure they didn't commit any war crimes by playing it.

That's just it. There's always that little niggling doubt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I think it looks fine I just don't understand how anybody stays interested in it for more than 10 minutes. Granted I didn't get too far into it but that's because it's a bunch of very samey levels and inevitable death by such exotic and exciting monsters as 'a snake' or 'a spider'.

The brilliant part is that the entire game can be played in like 10 minutes, Spelunky is perfect for "just gonna load this up and zone out for a few minutes".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah but all your posts make it clear you hate videogames

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Antigravitas posted:

The modern military shooter genre typically has you commit a smorgasbord of horrific war crimes and then celebrates you for it, in a no doubt unintentional display of realism.

is it that you dont know the answer or you dont remember either

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

site posted:

is it that you dont know the answer or you dont remember either

I was not talking about the game specifically at all, but the genre. The pardoning part is just referencing real life.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Antigravitas posted:

I am already maximally alienated from the character though. It's a lovely cover shooter and I'm playing Douchy McWarcrime on his way to be pardoned by his country. Without any free will nothing matters, because every action is already preordained.

Antigravitas posted:

I was not talking about the game specifically at all, but the genre. The pardoning part is just referencing real life.

sure okay

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

You’re responding to a post about that game specifically, lmao get out of here with that backpedaling

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

site posted:

sure okay

I'm genuinely confused what your problem is. I don't identify with the protagonists of modern military shooters and went into the game with a distaste for them, which you quoted. Perhaps it would do you well to read the entire exchange instead of sniping from the sidelines?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antigravitas posted:

I'm genuinely confused what your problem is. I don't identify with the protagonists of modern military shooters and went into the game with a distaste for them, which you quoted. Perhaps it would do you well to read the entire exchange instead of sniping from the sidelines?

More that your assumptions about the game are completely at odds with the way the game treats the topic and make you come off as attempting to bullshit about something you know nothing about and act as if pesky facts don't matter because you're so smart

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Antigravitas posted:

Well to make it clear my original post was genuinely asking whether getting pardoned was an alternate ending, because once I found out the game doesn't actually force you to kill all the civilians I assumed that there would have to be multiple endings

That said the snark in your response to my question indicated to me that you may not have played it at all and pretending you weren't talking about that particular game when as the quote shows you clearly were... I'm not sure what you expected, but you could've just answered plainly and avoided this

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I really hated the incest scene at the end of Tetris

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

site posted:

I found out the game doesn't actually force you to kill all the civilians I assumed that there would have to be multiple endings

Hold on. That would mostly change my opinion on the game. The scene that I found most revolting was where the game sets up a situation where you must throw phosphorous on a group and that you cannot avoid. I tried to not do it and the game literally wouldn't let me. As far as I know there's no "Don't hostilities and don't commit war crimes" option.

site posted:

you could've just answered plainly and avoided this

Fair enough. I thought it was clear that I was talking about my attitude going into the game.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Caesar Saladin posted:

Spelunky is on another level to every other roguelike. Its basically perfect in its design, the rest seem haphazard and thoughtless in comparison.

I couldn’t get into Spelunky at all, just didn’t click for me. I guess I’m more of a traditionalist there too, and I feel the modern roguelike is pretty much just a platformer/isometric shooter with permadeath. Not that it’s bad, but really doesn’t hold up well for me. I’d much rather a studio pull the elements from roguelikes that work, instead of slapping permadeath on and calling it a day.

Now, in terms of modern traditional rogue likes, Caves of Qud (by awesome goon Unormal) is my favorite. Took all the things I loved about the initial Rogue/NetHack variants, and cranked everything to 11. Amazing ASCII lighting effects, hilarious random generation, some super clever class/skill setups, and good enough writing that I can visualize the world when I play.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I have bounced off of Caves of Qud several times by this point. What am I doing wrong? I keep hearing how amazing it is.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

oh dope posted:

I have bounced off of Caves of Qud several times by this point. What am I doing wrong? I keep hearing how amazing it is.

It’s gonna be down to what you’re looking for out of a roguelike, I think.

For me, it’s the (potentially) short runs, the visual aesthetic, the setting, and the absurd random scenarios I find myself in. When I started, I went with true kin Praetorian, which seemed to give me a good footing for getting decently far.

But if you prefer real-time roguelikes, or don’t care for post apocalyptic settings, or don’t care for ASCII and don’t like the tiles they use, or even just don’t like reading a huuuuuge amount of flavor text, Qud could hit all the wrong buttons for you.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Antigravitas posted:

Hold on. That would mostly change my opinion on the game. The scene that I found most revolting was where the game sets up a situation where you must throw phosphorous on a group and that you cannot avoid. I tried to not do it and the game literally wouldn't let me. As far as I know there's no "Don't hostilities and don't commit war crimes" option.

Fair enough. I thought it was clear that I was talking about my attitude going into the game.

It's the only part of the game that forces you to do that, and it's because if you could avoid it then that would be entirely negating the point that war inevitably kills massive amounts of innocent people.

What would be the point of a game about the cost of war if you could avoid the cost?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Imo if you get lost in metro exodus at all it’s in a good way. Like that “I’ve strayed too far” feeling like you get in dark souls not “I’m running in circles” lost. The first two are so linear you can’t really get lost for more than a few minutes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PinheadSlim posted:

It's the only part of the game that forces you to do that, and it's because if you could avoid it then that would be entirely negating the point that war inevitably kills massive amounts of innocent people.

What would be the point of a game about the cost of war if you could avoid the cost?

hmmm i coulda sworn i saw someone here on the forums say that you didnt actually have to do it, but if im wrong then my bad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Setting aside Spec Ops' childish moralizing on you for playing their war crimes simulator, if you've played Gears of War and Spec Ops: The Line and don't see the gameplay/mechanics quality difference, you're more delusional than the protagonist. It's simply a third-rate effort in a market full of clones at that point.

It's maybe the only bad game goons push as hard as Alpha Protocol, which is a near-unplayable, unfinished piece of poo poo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah but all your posts make it clear you hate videogames

I don't hate it, it just didn't get its hooks into me. And I don't hate video games, I hate it when story gets in the way of video games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sometimes story gets in the way of video game.

Sometimes video game gets in the way of story.

And sometimes, approximately 0.34% of all games produced, both are good and well integrated with one another.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
That's generous

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

And sometimes, approximately 0.34% of all games produced, both are good and well integrated with one another.

And at least 25% of those are in the Legacy of Kain series.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a later part where it looks like you're supposed to shoot some civilians. If you shoot in the air they run away.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vakal posted:

And at least 25% of those are in the Legacy of Kain series.

:what:

I loved the LoK games but the overarching story was a convoluted mess

e: sorry, an unfinished convoluted mess

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Setting aside Spec Ops' childish moralizing on you for playing their war crimes simulator, if you've played Gears of War and Spec Ops: The Line and don't see the gameplay/mechanics quality difference, you're more delusional than the protagonist. It's simply a third-rate effort in a market full of clones at that point.

It's maybe the only bad game goons push as hard as Alpha Protocol, which is a near-unplayable, unfinished piece of poo poo.

Honestly I think "what if doing the only thing you can do in this game is actually bad" is one of the dumbest video game narrative elements and it doesn't land in the slightest to me. Even movies recognize that the endorphin hit of a good battle scene tends to undermine the point of 'war is bad', but the videogames just plow on through by slamming you in the face with obvious text.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Alpha protocol is janky and not particularly fun to play. Spec ops isn't janky and is fun to play.

Its true that it railroads you into a war crime, which is a thing that every single fps ever made also does so I'm not even sure why it's worth noting. Its just that you're playing the story of the guy who did that thing, like in half life you're playing the story of the guy who hosed up the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Spec Ops has some cool stuff in it like how you're always descending deeper downward as you go through the game, deeper and deeper even though it doesn't make any actual architectural sense, you just keep going downwards as it gets crazier. Its one of the only straight third person shooters from that era i actually remember playing through because I had no idea it was gonna go off the rails, I just expected some shootymans.

Coming back to it a few years later after people all flipped out about it is obviously going to disappoint you because its just a video game, none of them have any subtlety or whatever.