Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wasn't the story that a Sega exec pulled the plug after they bought a Sonic comic (back in the Archie days maybe) for their kid and eventually looked at it and screamed "they're doing what with our property?!"

From what I can remember, the story goes that after Sonic 2006 imploded the entire brand Sega became hellbent on doing everything they can to fix it. This eventually led them to destroying Sonic 2006 (and other poorly reviewed Sonic games) but in their self-imposed audit of the franchise they learned Archie Comics had, more or less, been doing whatever the hell they wanted with little oversight for years and once they saw something like this they came in like the U.S Marshalls to clean it up. Turns out Sega doesn't want their fun blue hedgehog in marriage drama and cuckold storylines!

One of the guys who wrote for the Archie comic in the final days posted on SA for awhile in one of the old Sonic threads in Games. It's been years now but I remember him telling us that Sega gave them a mandate on what they are/aren't allowed to do so they never have to deal with that poo poo again. The comic itself died some years later after multiple reboots and a bunch of lawsuits involving edgy OCs made by certain artists.

I could totally believe that one of the reasons the movie spent so long in dev hell is Sega shooting down really, really stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The comic actually pretty much still goes on now under IDW with basically the same writers and artists as the last days of Archie (where it was cancelled pretty abruptly- still with upcoming issues previewed before they dropped it. I think they license expired and Archie decided not to renew it) and basically put through yet another hard reboot with only the canon game characters allowed to remain. Though at least at this point they've gotten used to writing around executive mandates. (Must be frustrating since they had just introduced a new secondary cast to replace everyone who was basically wiped from existence due to Penders, and now they're stuck in limbo forever as well)

Policenaut posted:

I could totally believe that one of the reasons the movie spent so long in dev hell is Sega shooting down really, really stupid poo poo.

That's pretty much the story of nearly every adaptation movie, I'm sure, just look at the history of comic book movies. And also probably the reason why it took Nintendo so long to come around to another Hollywood movie, since the SMB movie turned into a completely bizarre mess and they have no idea how.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rageaholic posted:

How is it gonna start shooting with no director? :thunk:
That movie has also gone through at least 5 directors already

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wasn’t one of the Sonic Comics guys a right-wing Christian Evangelical of some stripe?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Wasn’t one of the Sonic Comics guys a right-wing Christian Evangelical of some stripe?

Probably. I think Karl Bollers was the weird one, with his own Mary Sue character named after his grandma who was a derailing love interest for Sonic til he wrote her a boyfriend to get out of the way finally. And constantly butting heads with Penders, who is his own can of worms with the lawsuit and everything.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You might be thinking of Ken Penders. I'm not sure if he was a fundie. He is a weird dude with lots of problems, especially with women, but I don't think he stuck weird religious stuff in the Sonic comic.

Cybershell did a great video on the Sonic comic and Penders's weirdness back when Archie cancelled it.
https://youtu.be/uIvpboKVdrw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was a bit where apparently basically everyone in the comics had some special mystical destiny poo poo going one except for Sonic himself. (A lot of which I'm p sure was ripping off The New Gods) I think Bollers was really bad for the teen drama soap opera era, while Penders was more into the eleventy zillion echidnas thing. I think the soap opera stuff is what got Sega pissed off when they started paying attention, while Penders' stuff was mostly just ignored or rewritten after he left until the contract stuff came up, especially when Sonic Chronicles having characters loosely based on his echidna lore triggered the lawsuit that was mostly Archie's legal dept turning out to be completely clownshoes. (I've heard other stories of Archie apparently being a basket case internally, though nothing verified)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
A lot of the romance drama stuff was added because of demands from the higher-ups so it’s not entirely fair to put that on the writers. The execution, though, you can say what you will about that.

The main thing I’ve learned from the ongoing Thanks Ken Penders Sonic comic retrospective blog is that the Sonic X side-series of all things is extremely good because of Joe Edkin’s writing, and yet I’ve never heard anyone mention him or that series ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

A lot of the romance drama stuff was added because of demands from the higher-ups so it’s not entirely fair to put that on the writers. The execution, though, you can say what you will about that.

The main thing I’ve learned from the ongoing Thanks Ken Penders Sonic comic retrospective blog is that the Sonic X side-series of all things is extremely good because of Joe Edkin’s writing, and yet I’ve never heard anyone mention him or that series ever.

I only heard the Sonic X comic turned out to be tracing screenshots from the show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wonder how many of the comics people turned underground sonic fanfic writers

has anyone cross referenced Christian Weston Chandler's pen names with that of authors? Ah who am I kidding there's no way CWC's every fart hasn't been documented in a spreadsheet by now

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only heard the Sonic X comic turned out to be tracing screenshots from the show.

There was one artist that did that and I think he did two issues before rightly getting sacked, it was blatant.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This is going to be an insufferable movie to sit through. I feel like Eli has no handle on something this large, insane and spectacular. I guess his juvenile humor is in line with the games, but this is something that would need a George Miller/James Wan type of batshit blockbuster director to go well.

Hell, Michael Bay should have been a shoe in for this.
https://deadline.com/2020/02/borderlands-videogame-eli-roth-directing-lionsgate-movie-1202864502/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is going to be an insufferable movie to sit through. I feel like Eli has no handle on something this large, insane and spectacular. I guess his juvenile humor is in line with the games, but this is something that would need a George Miller/James Wan type of batshit blockbuster director to go well.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/borderlands-videogame-eli-roth-directing-lionsgate-movie-1202864502/

Is there anything that even indicates they'll put real money into this? You can't do a legit Borderlands movie on a small budget or it would just be Mad Max.

Actually I fully expect that's what we'll get. Eli Roth's budget version of Mad Max.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

George Miller’s the obvious pick because of how much Borderlands bites from Mad Max but honestly I couldn’t care less who writes Reddit: The Game: The Movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bonerfarts lol

this writes itself

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Who keeps giving Eli Roth movies?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Yeah I think I was hoping theyd find a director who would tone down the humor but with Eli on board theyre most likely doubling down on it which is going to be loving obnoxious. Neveldine/Taylor woulda been perfect for this if thats what they wanted, but to also make a decent action film out of it at least.

I dont know how they play plan to do this without at least a $150mil+ budget.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't like Roth's shtick for the most part, but The House with a Clock in its Walls is good, and everyone should see it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Borderla:barf:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

My guess is they'll stick to the first game, which doesn't have nearly as much weird and crazy poo poo in it as the two sequels. So what we'll get will be like Mad Max but with stupid meme humor.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stupid humor is the only thing Borderlands has going for it. It was always going to suck, so Eli Roth seems to be a perfect fit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

30 minutes of shooting a boss in the face with a nerf gun reskinned

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Oh wow, we all skipped over the part where the latest script draft is by Craig Mazin of Chernobyl and The Hangover fame.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Eli Roth with Borderlands sense of "humor" is like my nightmare scenario
Cross that poo poo over with Deadpool somehow so i can just blow my brains out in theaters

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Stupid humor is the only thing Borderlands has going for it.
It's a fun co-op game to play with my SO (in an age where i guess i stopped gaming for x years and couch coop games are basically gone now??) but literally all the writing and characters and humor and world and everything other than the gameplay are "poo poo you'd pump 24/7 into my Gitmo isolation cell"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Oh wow, we all skipped over the part where the latest script draft is by Craig Mazin of Chernobyl and The Hangover fame.

lmao

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1230164991703166977?s=20

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fuuuuuuck offfffff

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kevin Smith named his daughter Harley Quinn, that is all you need to know about him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ok I genuinely love Cap and all, but I mean

c m ‘ o n

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Kevin Smith named his daughter Harley Quinn, that is all you need to know about him.
Defining Traits:
  • Highly Sexualized
  • Abused by Psycho Boyfriend

Yep, definitely what I would like to name my daughter.

Yeah that's a little reductive, but still.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I've seen this tweet all day, but I just now realized that it's Kevin Smith. Honestly, that makes it a little more tolerable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, he's not wrong. It's just that he for some insane reason thinks that's a good thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Made this post in the comic book thread in regards to that smith tweet.

ruddiger posted:

Hundreds of years from now isn’t that far off considering what we know of civilizations and societies hundreds of years prior to now, the only way Smith’s scenario were to happen is if there was a massive event that caused millions of people in the first world civilizations to die off and the internet to disappear. The survivors would have to rebuild from the remnants and go to like, the Avengers Endgame Novelization because there would be no way to watch those movies on their obsolete medium.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

More likely it would just be people doing live performances of half-remembered blockbusters like the scene in Reign of Fire where they perform Star Wars for the kids. There was also an NPR story a few years ago about a play that was the evolution of a performance version of a Simpsons episode with Sideshow Bob and how it changed over the decades in a post-collapse society, but I can't remember the play's name.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Yeah I think I was hoping theyd find a director who would tone down the humor but with Eli on board theyre most likely doubling down on it which is going to be loving obnoxious. Neveldine/Taylor woulda been perfect for this if thats what they wanted, but to also make a decent action film out of it at least.

i think Neveldine and Taylor ended their partnership - they haven't worked together since Ghost Rider

Taylor's working in TV (Happy! and the upcoming Brave New World show), but it actually doesn't look like Neveldine has had any credits since 2016

Tars Tarkas posted:

More likely it would just be people doing live performances of half-remembered blockbusters like the scene in Reign of Fire where they perform Star Wars for the kids. There was also an NPR story a few years ago about a play that was the evolution of a performance version of a Simpsons episode with Sideshow Bob and how it changed over the decades in a post-collapse society, but I can't remember the play's name.

Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

(Isn't Sonic pretty popular in some Latin American countries?)

Latinos love two things:
Sonic the Hedgehog and Morrisey

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Latinos love two things:
Sonic the Hedgehog and Morrisey

And saint seya... and dragonball and heavy metal and....

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kpop and uh...pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Cloud Atlas had a subplot like that too