Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Captain Monkey posted:

Because neither one will ever take off.

You deserve credit for this one my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I once tried to give "Emus" as a farm animal in a game of Scattergories and came back to my friends the next day with a printed out article proving I wasn't making up that chapter of recent history.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

infernal machines posted:

see, the problem is they used to just pay the mangosteens right away and then the kind of flaky dipshits that write for SA would take them and gently caress off, probably bartering them for jenkem or box wine and horse tranquilizers. so now, the new plan is to withhold pay until they've written several articles and proved that they are a reliable source of humour. an old faithful of laughs. then they'll get paid

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard emu farming was a big thing around then as well, there was a King of the Hill episode about a guy trying to get rid of his emus. Also, the way Americans, or at least Texans, pronounce 'Emu' is goddamn hilarious.

Apparently they were marketed as something like 'bigger, better chicken'. I think there might have been attempts at kangaroo farming too.

It was and we actually had Emus as well but they weren't worth as much and are a lot meaner and harder to work with. At one point we bought some Cassowaries but those things are satan incarnate.

Have to diversify your giant birds.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Another thing. Ostriches are dumb as hell. They can be dangerous with their powerful kicks, and as a kid I wasn't allowed in their enclosures without an adult around. When I did go in, I had to carry a broom held straight up above my head as high as possible. It turns out if you are "taller" than them they won't bother you.

If you wave your arms a certain way it will trigger the males to do their mating dance and myself and 8 year old friends found it endlessly amusing that we could make the "gay birds" perform a mating dance on command.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was a front page story about keeping ostriches on April Fool’s Day, 2003.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

D-Pad posted:

If you wave your arms a certain way it will trigger the males to do their mating dance and myself and 8 year old friends found it endlessly amusing that we could make the "gay birds" perform a mating dance on command.
In case anyone was curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbEk9yOdxyk

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

D-Pad posted:

Another thing. Ostriches are dumb as hell. They can be dangerous with their powerful kicks, and as a kid I wasn't allowed in their enclosures without an adult around. When I did go in, I had to carry a broom held straight up above my head as high as possible. It turns out if you are "taller" than them they won't bother you.

:kimchi: thank you so much for this valuable insider info

D-Pad posted:

It was and we actually had Emus as well but they weren't worth as much and are a lot meaner and harder to work with. At one point we bought some Cassowaries but those things are satan incarnate.
omg do you have any cassowary stories

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Do you know what a slant rhyme is?

Dikkfor posted:

Wow, it's called haiku you racist

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

"I need you to feed my Emoos, hank!"
"Here, feed 'em with this"
*hands him a rifle*

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

A yearly tradition

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

hallelujah posted:

omg do you have any cassowary stories

It's been so long and we kept them so briefly that I don't. I know that even my dad would avoid getting in their enclosure if at all possible and almost never alone because he never wanted to turn his back on them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

dick_bo_jism posted:

I am new to this site and don't understand why he is allowed to "moderate" posts that are more worthwile than his? I imagine he is fat and dumb?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

D-Pad posted:

It's been so long and we kept them so briefly that I don't. I know that even my dad would avoid getting in their enclosure if at all possible and almost never alone because he never wanted to turn his back on them.

What was the end goal on raising raptor birds? I mean wtf.

Apparently back in 80s(?) Australian steak was a big thing in the US. Then one day the inspectors went down to the northern territory to have a look around and it turns out most of the 'beef cattle' were actually feral Asian water buffalo that had gotten loose. Why farm when you can harvest I guess?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Doc Hawkins posted:

please never forget one man's quest to convince everyone to farm hippos

Not farm: release, allow to breed wildly and then hunt as needed.

Imagine the feral hogs tweet, but with hippos .

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hippos are considered literally the most dangerous animal on the planet, and are the closest land-dwelling relatives to whales.

Oddly enough there's actually crocodile farming in Australia, mostly for leather, though you can get the meat in some places.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elfface posted:

Not farm: release, allow to breed wildly and then hunt as needed.

Imagine the feral hogs tweet, but with hippos .

if there were herds of wild hippos around honestly I'd say it would be totally reasonable to keep a semi-automatic rifle handy, those fuckers are mean

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

if there were herds of wild hippos around honestly I'd say it would be totally reasonable to keep a semi-automatic rifle handy, those fuckers are mean

You’d need something a fair sight bigger than an AR15 for those, though, they’re huge. They’re big enough they’ve sank boats.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

cock hero flux posted:

I'm not sure there's a semi-auto in a large enough caliber to bother a hippo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://magazine.atavist.com/american-hippopotamus

For some reason authors write endless stories about "what if the confederates won" but no-one ever writes about the world where this was done.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

D-Pad posted:

Even in the Bible, God takes a minute out of his rap battle with Job to dunk on ostriches for no reason:

Job 39:13‭-‬17 posted:

“The wings of the ostrich wave proudly,
But are her wings and pinions like the kindly stork’s?
For she leaves her eggs on the ground,
And warms them in the dust;
She forgets that a foot may crush them,
Or that a wild beast may break them.
She treats her young harshly, as though they were not hers;
Her labor is in vain, without concern,
Because God deprived her of wisdom,
And did not endow her with understanding."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Free dick_bo_jism.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Make dick_bo_jism ik of gbs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DandyLion posted:

I'm not sure there's a semi-auto in a large enough caliber to bother a hippo.

I kinda want to see what'd happen if someone used one of those 50-cal anti-tank rifles on one.

Presumably it'd be a race to chamber a fresh round and resight on several tonnes of rapidly-approaching furious injured hippo after the first shot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Well poachers hunt elephants with rpgs so I imagine something even dumber would happen in the United States of Hippolandia. Rotary grenade launcher on every hip.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Outrail posted:

What was the end goal on raising raptor birds? I mean wtf.

I dunno. It was all part of the bubble in exotics and specifically giant birds at the time. I guess people assumed if they could make that much money off ostriches and emus then why not cassowary as well since they are smaller and you can fit more in a pen? They quickly figured out they are dangerous assholes nobody should be around.

I mean the whole thing was stupid and a classic example of a bubble with no underlying good reason. Even if the American public had bought into the whole ostrich meat thing ultimately the type of money you could make would be about the same as cattle. The prices started out high because of the rarity and it kept going at that level until there were no more buyers. My parents knew this, but my dad got greedy and thought he could do it one more year before it popped.

Edit: did a google search for ostrich bubble and there is a lot of good articles about what happened. Looks like the same bubble happened in the UK and Australia too. Ostrich and Emu are red meat and require less resources to raise than a cow and the meat is extremely lean so it was marketed as a solution during the low fat health craze of the 90s to be able to still eat red meat but healthier than beef.

D-Pad has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Feb 20, 2020

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Telsa Cola posted:

They sell ostrich and yak meat at the grocery store down the street from me.

Also all socal goons should go to OSTRICH LAND and get an egg or ostrich jerky.

Holy poo poo, that's like a half hour drive for me, going to have to stop by and get an egg for a big rear end omelette.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

D-Pad posted:

I dunno. It was all part of the bubble in exotics and specifically giant birds at the time. I guess people assumed if they could make that much money off ostriches and emus then why not cassowary as well since they are smaller and you can fit more in a pen? They quickly figured out they are dangerous assholes nobody should be around.

I mean the whole thing was stupid and a classic example of a bubble with no underlying good reason. Even if the American public had bought into the whole ostrich meat thing ultimately the type of money you could make would be about the same as cattle. The prices started out high because of the rarity and it kept going at that level until there were no more buyers. My parents knew this, but my dad got greedy and thought he could do it one more year before it popped.

Edit: did a google search for ostrich bubble and there is a lot of good articles about what happened. Looks like the same bubble happened in the UK and Australia too. Ostrich and Emu are red meat and require less resources to raise than a cow and the meat is extremely lean so it was marketed as a solution during the low fat health craze of the 90s to be able to still eat red meat but healthier than beef.
Are they lower greenhouse gas emissions per kilo of meat? Because if so, new bubble ahoy!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

D-Pad posted:

A dude in Florida who collected exotic animals was killed by a cassowary last year, the only other human fatality on record was 93 years earlier. In both cases the victim had fallen on the ground and the cassowary stomped on them and sliced them up with their huge claws and they bled out.

For comparison, there's been at least three people killed by roosters in the last decade: there were two different dudes who were sliced open by their cockfighting roosters which had razor blades attached to their spurs, the third was when a rooster pecked an elderly woman in the leg and hit a varicose vein and she died from blood loss.

Of course the real lesson we can take away from this is that we need to start up an illegal underground cassowary fighting tournament

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I guess I owe the Jurassic World people an apology. People really are that stupid.

Hey, you say this thing is attached to a six-foot-tall extremely territorial ball of feathers and anger? Better keep a dozen of them in my backyard. Don't worry, there's a fence

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

there were two different dudes who were sliced open by their cockfighting roosters which had razor blades attached to their spurs
OK I'm going to have to say these ones weren't all on the roosters

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A classic from scapulataf, who was later banned by AATrek, with the leper colony entry being “Pretty creepy, dude”.

quote:

Bachelor? Yeah, maybe.
Disgusting?? Oh gently caress yeah.

I've had a boil on my taint for a few days and its been bugging the gently caress out of me. It hurt to sit, it hurt to poo poo, it hurt to do a lot of things.

I tried scrubbing the area with alcohol, and then poking a pin through it, but it wasn't working. First squatting over a mirror and then propping the mirror up on a hamper full of dirty laundry.
I tried the boiling bottle technique, but I don't think I was patient enough.

So, today I had a great idea. I got out the antiseptics, and disinfectants, and the alcohol, and the vacuum. Its a Hoover wind tunnel since someone will ask.

The first shot I didn't quite get it centred where I wanted it but it was still over the mark. Even though it was on that spot for maybe half a second there was still evil juices flowing from my taint. When I got it centred properly, and left it for several seconds I could practically feel the magic as the juices were flowing from my body and into the vacuum hose, coating the inside of it. I'm going to have a hard time making my vacuum not look like a crime scene. But relief is upon me!!

I was so happy I found that.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Splicer posted:

Are they lower greenhouse gas emissions per kilo of meat? Because if so, new bubble ahoy!

Not sure about ostrich fart methane content compared to cattle, but I read they require 3 acres compared to 5 acres for a cow.

From 2016:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-ostrich-farming-met-20160925-story.html%3foutputType=amp

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this is officially my favourite derail ever

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
an emu farm with 2000 emus came up for sale (emus included) near me just a few months ago and it caused me actual anguish that i didn't have a spare million dollars lying around. i'm not interested in the oil or the meat (it's not kosher, i've had some great debates on the topic) but the eggs. the eggs! also i'm an ecologist, and post-apocalyptic rehabilitation sites suffer from a lack of large fauna to disperse fleshy fruits, so i had fantasies of commanding a thousand-strong flock of emus to replenish the earth

hallelujah has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Feb 20, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How much would just the emus cost? Buy them and then just raise them in the woods for free. Emus live in the woods right? I gotta admit, I don't know much about emus.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Looks like the same bubble happened in the UK and Australia too.

There were ostrich farms even here in Sweden at that time. I distinctly remember going to my grandparents house, looking out the car window and seeing like ten ostriches running around on a farm just by the highway. Bizarre. To no one’s surprise it didn’t really last here either.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

hallelujah posted:

an emu farm with 2000 emus came up for sale (emus included) near me just a few months ago and it caused me actual anguish that i didn't have a spare million dollars lying around. i'm not interested in the oil or the meat (it's not kosher, i've had some great debates on the topic) but the eggs. the eggs! also i'm an ecologist, and post-apocalyptic rehabilitation sites suffer from a lack of large fauna to disperse fleshy fruits, so i had fantasies of commanding a thousand-strong flock of emus to replenish the earth

Can I ask why? It seems like emus are pretty much just big chickens.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Ariong posted:

Can I ask why? It seems like emus are pretty much just big chickens.

Ostriches are specifically listed under "not kosher" which for legal purposes is obviously "close enough" to apply to emus.

Edit: I'm not Jewish, I'll eat anything but I love a good debate.

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Ostriches are specifically listed under "not kosher" which I think falls cleanly under "close enough" to apply to emus.
pretty much this, though of course it's up for debate