Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
NewsGroupDirect used to be a reseller of a larger network with 3500+ days retention, but they split off and became an independent provider. As such their retention went to poo poo, purporting to be 1100 days but I find even that to be unreliable..

I find they're good for recent stuff, and they max out my 600 meg connection, but you'll eat up blocks like crazy if you try to get anything older than 1000 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

NewsGroupDirect used to be a reseller of a larger network with 3500+ days retention, but they split off and became an independent provider. As such their retention went to poo poo, purporting to be 1100 days but I find even that to be unreliable..

I find they're good for recent stuff, and they max out my 600 meg connection, but you'll eat up blocks like crazy if you try to get anything older than 1000 days.

UGH,
that's why the older downloads suck lately! i did not know they did that!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jesse Iceberg posted:

That's awesome, thanks for that, that gives me a really good jumping off point to start converting.

The docker-gen + Nginx approach was getting increasingly brittle over successive LetsEncypt renewals.

One thing I had wondered about Traefik is, is it necessary to give it DNS API credentials, if instead you have a wildcard A record to catch all your apps and services?

This here string:
- --certificatesresolvers.leresolver.acme.dnsChallenge=true

Tells Traefik and LetEncrypt how to validate that you actually own the Domain that you are added certs for. I use the Godaddy API to allow Traefik to login and check to verify I own it. You can also use a different check called "tls challenge" (documented here: https://docs.traefik.io/https/acme/) that tells Treafik to just resolve that hostname and test. This requires you to have 443 open from that hostname's IP and it has to get back to Traefik. I did not use that because I didn't initially have Oauth setup, and it would have required me to open my network to traffic before it was secure enough.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
You really want more than one unlimited provider (with different back-ends) at the same priority level in your downloader for the best chance at completing all your downloads. Also add in one or two obscure provider's block accounts as a lower priority and you're golden!

I've posted an older version of this before, but here's my current SAB server list and their usage (yes I know some of the providers have the same back-ends, but this represents some overlapping yearly accounts and such)

PS: Giganews sucks now, I'll be canceling that soon

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have to say, SAB looks a lot nicer than NZBGET. Tempted to switch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I have to say, SAB looks a lot nicer than NZBGET. Tempted to switch.

It’s certainly pretty nice, the settings pages can be a bit intimidating setting up for the first time. I set it up never having done anything with NZBs before, but I was able to get it running after an hour or 2.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pzy posted:

You really want more than one unlimited provider (with different back-ends) at the same priority level in your downloader for the best chance at completing all your downloads. Also add in one or two obscure provider's block accounts as a lower priority and you're golden!

I've posted an older version of this before, but here's my current SAB server list and their usage (yes I know some of the providers have the same back-ends, but this represents some overlapping yearly accounts and such)

PS: Giganews sucks now, I'll be canceling that soon

Is there a way to emulate this data output or a close equivalent for nzbget?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

That Works posted:

Is there a way to emulate this data output or a close equivalent for nzbget?

i think nzbhydra does stuff like this, possibly even prettier

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Canuckistan posted:

That sucks but luckily they offer 3 month trial (or close to it with the first 3 months being sub half a dollar) so I might cancel it. Lot of time I want to download the original BD disk and those are mostly gone.

Posted on the previous page but Newshosting seems (on paper) to have high retention. Does it match reality?

Personally I don't download enough to warrant several providers at once so I'm looking for the best overall. Right now I only have 300 Mbps so it doesn't need to support anything higher than that.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

pzy posted:

You really want more than one unlimited provider (with different back-ends) at the same priority level in your downloader for the best chance at completing all your downloads.

I dont understand why all are priority 0 since arent they all downloading together at once and not really showing you who is really helping who? basically if one was set at priority 0 and then 1 and 2 and 3 etc you would be abl;e to see as it goes down the line and tries one after the other if it really needs to so it can complete.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

That sucks but luckily they offer 3 month trial (or close to it with the first 3 months being sub half a dollar) so I might cancel it. Lot of time I want to download the original BD disk and those are mostly gone.

Posted on the previous page but Newshosting seems (on paper) to have high retention. Does it match reality?

Personally I don't download enough to warrant several providers at once so I'm looking for the best overall. Right now I only have 300 Mbps so it doesn't need to support anything higher than that.

NGD sucks when it comes down to it for anything oldish and in that case idk why anyone would bother when they can get old and new from the same provider elsewhere. if you dont want to or dont need to pay for multiple at once there is frugal usenet which has two providers so you have that benefit. it has what ngd used to have for server access plus usenetfarm access in one. only drawback is like 3000 days retention but newshosting has full retention but you may have dmca takedowns on the old posts just the same.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

SlipperyNipple posted:

I dont understand why all are priority 0 since arent they all downloading together at once and not really showing you who is really helping who? basically if one was set at priority 0 and then 1 and 2 and 3 etc you would be abl;e to see as it goes down the line and tries one after the other if it really needs to so it can complete.

I think I am doing it correctly, if the SAB wiki is accurate:

quote:

SABnzbd will first try to get articles from the group of servers with the highest priority. Within the priority group, the first server with a free connection will be tried. When the first tried server doesn't have an article, then another server with the same priority is tried.
When none of the primary servers has a specific article, a lower priority group is tried.

So according to that, unlimited servers should be your highest priority and all the same, and block accounts/fill servers/non-unlimited should be lower priorities.

SAB is always maxed out fully on all allowed connections on my 0-priority servers, no problem saturating a full gigabit down on any request

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

pzy posted:

I think I am doing it correctly, if the SAB wiki is accurate:

So according to that, unlimited servers should be your highest priority and all the same, and block accounts/fill servers/non-unlimited should be lower priorities.

SAB is always maxed out fully on all allowed connections on my 0-priority servers, no problem saturating a full gigabit down on any request

I'm interpreting your screenshot the same way SlipperyNipple is. You have 5 that are set to priority 0, but that doesn't tell it which one of those 5 to use first. I don't think they will do it based on the literal order you have either, so you'll likely have a race condition here (no idea how it determines which one of those 5 it will use first, but I suspect Giganews is definitely not first). The only way to know for sure if Giganews isn't working for you is to leave it at P0, the other unlimited ones at P1, then your blocks at P2.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'll set them all as different priorities for a month and see what changes, sounds sciencey

Edit: The immediate problem is that it only downloads from the server with the highest priority, so if that can't saturate your connection it will be pretty slow. The equal priority race condition is a lot faster since it downloads from all 0-priority servers at once, and I don't think it would lose any articles since it goes down the line looking for any missing ones (eventually hitting the block account)

pzy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 20, 2020

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

pzy posted:

I'll set them all as different priorities for a month and see what changes, sounds sciencey

Edit: The immediate problem is that it only downloads from the server with the highest priority, so if that can't saturate your connection it will be pretty slow. The equal priority race condition is a lot faster since it downloads from all 0-priority servers at once, and I don't think it would lose any articles since it goes down the line looking for any missing ones (eventually hitting the block account)

newshosting should be able to saturate your gigabit connection and ninja is the same as newshosting so make both of those priority 0. with all those connections gigabit shouldbe no sweat. yes do it for science! lol it may be worth trying a new order the following month.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm usually in the 95-98MB/sec range with NH, it's nice they're actually giving decent speeds these days without too much tweaking.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bank posted:

I'm interpreting your screenshot the same way SlipperyNipple is. You have 5 that are set to priority 0, but that doesn't tell it which one of those 5 to use first. I don't think they will do it based on the literal order you have either, so you'll likely have a race condition here (no idea how it determines which one of those 5 it will use first, but I suspect Giganews is definitely not first). The only way to know for sure if Giganews isn't working for you is to leave it at P0, the other unlimited ones at P1, then your blocks at P2.

There's no race condition, it'll just balance the connections across different servers while downloading. The ordering displayed within a priority is just alphabetic.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
What's a good guideline for file size cut offs in radar? I'm getting tired of 40GB+ files being pulled for 1080p movies

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
If you just set 1080p to anything under 18gb you'll never get a remux

You just have to be careful because I find that multi language dts-ma rips can still be quite large.

Edit: have you checked your quality profiles? The default has 1080p cutoff at bluray-1080 but allows remux 1080p

norp fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 21, 2020

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Remux is the ONLY way to roll :c00lbutt:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Please don't kinkshame in this thread

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yep now that I have 500Mb internet why the hell not, also delete after watching, by the time you want to rewatch there will be a better rip.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Perplx posted:

Yep now that I have 500Mb internet why the hell not, also delete after watching, by the time you want to rewatch there will be a better rip.

There is no better quality than a remux tho, is there?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been attempting to upgrade the quality on a lot of movies I downloaded many years ago. A pretty large percentage of them are DMCA'ed to hell nowadays and I won't be able to get them in a higher quality from usenet. (I got accounts across all the backbones to make this as painless as possible)

I always knew this was a possibility which is why I don't delete after watching.

Another possibility is laws and enforcement changes and the usenet gravy train goes away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's the point of Remuxes? I just can't seem to understand why I'd want a 45GB rip of a 1080p movie, as previous poster suggested. 10GB BluRay rips seems to be just fine? Why are they so massive? Is it just higher quality than BR somehow?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What's the point of Remuxes? I just can't seem to understand why I'd want a 45GB rip of a 1080p movie, as previous poster suggested. 10GB BluRay rips seems to be just fine? Why are they so massive? Is it just higher quality than BR somehow?

It's a direct rip of the BR without recompression. It's exact same quality as the BR.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

What's the point of Remuxes? I just can't seem to understand why I'd want a 45GB rip of a 1080p movie, as previous poster suggested. 10GB BluRay rips seems to be just fine?

I have a decent amount of storage space available and a pretty good TV, so I always go for the highest available quality even if the difference isn't very big.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

There is no better quality than a remux tho, is there?

There are still remasters and criterion copies, and the inventible 8k rerelease.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I have a decent amount of storage space available and a pretty good TV, so I always go for the highest available quality even if the difference isn't very big.

Thermopyle posted:

It's a direct rip of the BR without recompression. It's exact same quality as the BR.

Ah, thanks.

Yeah I've got a 75" 4K TV and a 55" 1080P, but since my old-rear end Plex PC chokes on 4K content, I try to stick with 1080P rips. I did sign up for a month of Plex Pass to see if the hardware transcoding helps at all (Ivy Bridge), but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I may have to just bite the bullet and upgrade my Plex server PC. Or upgrade the guts of my unraid machine and learn all the docker crap.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, basically the same thing as ripping (or downloading) music in lossless or MP3/AAC, although a remux is still technically in a lossy codec since lossless video codecs would be massive. You will very likely be unable to tell the difference, but it eliminates the chances that the person encoding the 10GB file made some poor encoding choices, etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You will very likely be unable to tell the difference, but it eliminates the chances that the person encoding the 10GB file made some poor encoding choices, etc.

Yeah, this is the main reason I get remuxes. A well done re-encode is mostly indistinguishable from the source BR, but there's no way to tell radarr/sonarr "only download well done reencodes".

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, this is the main reason I get remuxes. A well done re-encode is mostly indistinguishable from the source BR, but there's no way to tell radarr/sonarr "only download well done reencodes".

if you know which groups do good encodes you could set it to get ones from said groups using the tags feature. food for thought.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Ah, thanks.

Yeah I've got a 75" 4K TV and a 55" 1080P, but since my old-rear end Plex PC chokes on 4K content, I try to stick with 1080P rips. I did sign up for a month of Plex Pass to see if the hardware transcoding helps at all (Ivy Bridge), but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I may have to just bite the bullet and upgrade my Plex server PC. Or upgrade the guts of my unraid machine and learn all the docker crap.

even tho 4K titles are big, direct playing should do fine on your tv. there is no transcoding going on during a direct play. is your tv hard wired or wireless?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

derk posted:

even tho 4K titles are big, direct playing should do fine on your tv. there is no transcoding going on during a direct play. is your tv hard wired or wireless?

Well, it chokes transcoding 4K content down to 1080P for the smaller TV. Both TVs are running Apple TV / Plex on wireless, both have full signals.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

derk posted:

if you know which groups do good encodes you could set it to get ones from said groups using the tags feature. food for thought.

Yeah, I've actually done this for a few groups in the past, but I can't be assed to keep track of which groups sourced which files and compare the quality of different groups over time.

I just set my remux quality on movies that I care enough to have the highest quality and don't worry about it.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Well, it chokes transcoding 4K content down to 1080P for the smaller TV. Both TVs are running Apple TV / Plex on wireless, both have full signals.

yea, transcoding 4k files is going to choke just about anything. don't offer the 4K movies to non 4K devices that can direct play them. Like i have a separate library for 4K movies, and only certain users have access to that library that i have set up their clients to play those files directly so it does NOT transcode them.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I've actually done this for a few groups in the past, but I can't be assed to keep track of which groups sourced which files and compare the quality of different groups over time.

I just set my remux quality on movies that I care enough to have the highest quality and don't worry about it.

i manually download my movies instead of leaving that up to radarr. I don't have time to keep track of movies i want to see and never have the need to have them right away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

derk posted:

yea, transcoding 4k files is going to choke just about anything. don't offer the 4K movies to non 4K devices that can direct play them. Like i have a separate library for 4K movies, and only certain users have access to that library that i have set up their clients to play those files directly so it does NOT transcode them.

Yup this is how I do it too. I usually have 1080p versions of anything in my 4K library for external people via radarr and I grab the 4Ks for myself manually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

derk posted:

I don't have time to keep track of movies i want to see and never have the need to have them right away.

Funny, this is the exact reason I use radarr.

I read about or hear about a movie that sounds interesting, I add it to radarr, and never think about it again until I see it pop up in Kodi at some point in the future as a new addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is anyone using omgwtf with nzb hydra? It works fine when I add it but it always gets deactivated rather quickly and I'm not sure why.