Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SimonCat posted:

I'd say Transformers The Movie.

:hmmyes:

Runner up: Skeletonized Snoopy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The original Pet Semetary, when the little kid slices Fred Gwynne's Achilles tendon from under the bed.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

large hands posted:

haha I'd blocked that out of my mind, after watching the tv show obsessively I was horrified when bumblebee got killed right at the start and smoke was coming out of his mouth.

I remember my dad renting us 'fantastic planet" as a kid which is an amazing seventies animated scifi film that iirc was made in Czechoslovakia and was an allegory for Soviet oppression there. It was absolutely loving bizarre and not really suitable for kids.

That was a police car. Bumblebee was right behind the kid's dad when they were saved at the last minute from being burned alive in a vat of acid near the end of the movie.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Hatter posted:

That was a police car. Bumblebee was right behind the kid's dad when they were saved at the last minute from being burned alive in a vat of acid near the end of the movie.

His name was Prowl :(

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

priznat posted:

:hfive: that or Pee Wee’s Big Adventure for me (Large Marge)

Large Marge was brutal when I was ~seven.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Memento posted:

Large Marge was brutal when I was ~seven.
Same! I hid behind the couch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My dad stopped the tape and did a frame by frame advance on large marge’s freaky bit and it made it even worse for me

Also I mostly hid behind the couch

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was a childhood devotee of the Pee Wee Herman show so nothing in Big Adventure phased me. My dad was an alcoholic so he took me with him to the bars on the weekend and I'd tell everyone the secret word, and they'd all scream when someone said it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Federal Court orders documents related to the sinking of the USS Thresher to be released.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/02/20/navy-ordered-review-release-documents-related-uss-thresher-submarine-implosion.html

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

The original Pet Semetary, when the little kid slices Fred Gwynne's Achilles tendon from under the bed.

Eek, I cringed reading this. Also, Fred Gwynne was a national treasure. " Mistuh Gambini..."

Also that Thresher news is interesting, seeing as how it's, what, one of two subs the US has lost in the second half of the 20th century?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

:hfive: that or Pee Wee’s Big Adventure for me (Large Marge)

The original "It" hosed me up pretty good, but I didn't come out of it with a fear of clowns. Definitely looked down a few bathtub drains, though.

But yeah, Large Marge's scary face is definitely in the Top 5.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Neverending Story loving terrified me. I’ve always had a fear of corpses, so that charred knight’s visir flipping up was awful.

When I was two or three, the blob on Fraggle Rock made me flee the room.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Gmork in Neverending Story was a great one but I when I watched it I was old enough to not be too scared of it.

What got me from that movie was Artax giving up to the sadness of the swamp and just letting himself drown. gently caress that.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The original "It" hosed me up pretty good, but I didn't come out of it with a fear of clowns. Definitely looked down a few bathtub drains, though.

But yeah, Large Marge's scary face is definitely in the Top 5.

It hosed me up when I saw it, aged 7. Terminator 2 also hit me pretty hard and I know I am not the only one out there who feels this way. If you didn't have a good dad, it was like watching the dad you always wanted die. If you had a great dad, like I did, it was like watching him die. That was pretty heavy stuff for 8 year old me.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember back in the early 1990s, in eastern europe, we had no idea what japanese animation was. So my parents rented us a cartoon that seemed interesting for one of our movie evenings.

It was grave of the fireflies.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gervasius posted:

I remember back in the early 1990s, in eastern europe, we had no idea what japanese animation was. So my parents rented us a cartoon that seemed interesting for one of our movie evenings.

It was grave of the fireflies.

Welp I can’t see much else topping this, daymn

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Welp I can’t see much else topping this, daymn

You know what was even better: we were watching it while air raid sirens were daily occurence. Now that I look back I can see how that was kinda hosed up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Considering how often the previous thread circled back to "and I was deathly afraid of nuclear armageddon" it's rich to say that post 9/11 paranoia was new.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

JcDent posted:

Considering how often the previous thread circled back to "and I was deathly afraid of nuclear armageddon" it's rich to say that post 9/11 paranoia was new.

It was an entirely different kind of paranoia though. Most people who lived through the Cold War were afraid of nuclear armageddon to some extent, however there are two things that made it different from 9/11:

A - nuclear armageddon was the symbolic end of MAD. It was going to be a nation/world ending event
B - it was kind of a nebulous threat, since the Cold War was mostly that - cold.

9/11 was not only the first major attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor, it came from a non-state actor that the majority of the US hadn't realized even existed prior to that date. It also personalized it in a way - anyone in NY, NJ, or Washington DC (and plenty of people beyond those borders) knew someone who died or who was directly affected. It also happened during a time of general peace, and what could easily be called a time of US hegemony. I can tell you without question, neither I nor nobody I knew at the time even considered the possibility of a major terrorist attack on US soil.

In a sense, it's a similar fear to school shootings in a few specific ways. It was impossible to predict for almost the entire country, it affected people who had no idea it was coming, and it regardless of statistics it made everyone fear what could happen to them or their loved ones. In a way it was also a watershed moment in the 24 hour news cycle which drove it to the upper echelons in the public consciousness. I guess the easiest way to put it is that the Cold War made people fear a potentiality, whereas 9/11 made people fear what would happen next.

Note: I'm not trying to compare 9/11 to school shootings in a direct way, just in the specific fears elicited as a response. Don't read too much into that part of this post.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

B - it was kind of a nebulous threat, since the Cold War was mostly that - cold.
It was cold *in the US* maybe.

The fucknuts concluding that MAD was less of a risk because it didn't kill anyone just don't understand probability vs impact, and you can instantly stop listening to them at no disadvantage to you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

evil_bunnY posted:

It was cold *in the US* maybe.

The fucknuts concluding that MAD was less of a risk because it didn't kill anyone just don't understand probability vs impact, and you can instantly stop listening to them at no disadvantage to you.

That was sort of the point of the rest of my post. 9/11 was different from MAD - MAD was clearly the greater threat, both to the US and humanity at large, but it also went nowhere and most Americans weren't personally affected. However when you wake up one morning and see photos on the news of people jumping from skyscrapers, it becomes far more real.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1230839642259365888?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember reading about this when I was like 10 in a book I rented (or as we'd say "checked out") from the library about famous disasters and it hosed me up bad, I've never forgotten it. Now lets see those Scorpion files

quote:

Bryant's complaint outlines the conflicting theories about the Thresher's sinking that have emerged over the years, including an electrical failure and flooding in the engine room. The documents could lend more clarity, he said in the lawsuit.

What are they looking for exactly

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I want to see the files on those Norwegian ships that crashed into each other

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

zoux posted:

What are they looking for exactly

Seems like the Navy is dodging the FOIA request for whatever reason. I doubt there are any significant damages unless gross negligence was involved and can be proven, so it's probably a combination of closure for the families and a reminder to DoD of why FOIA exists.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Seems like the Navy is dodging the FOIA request for whatever reason. I doubt there are any significant damages unless gross negligence was involved and can be proven, so it's probably a combination of closure for the families and a reminder to DoD of why FOIA exists.

poo poo, they regularly ram civilian vessels because they don't know how to drive, how much worse could it be?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have the USS Scorpion files been declassified? I feel like we know a lot more about what happened to Thresher while we still have no idea what happened to Scorpion (sunk by the Soviets!)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Still working on my fake nuclear war traffic for this real book that will actually come out in bookstores. How plausibly fake are these teletypes, any pointers on making them More Real? I feel like they're missing something, they're too basic. I clearly just made some poo poo up.

quote:

GFHCS 11175.0 REPEAT MEECN
FOXTROT FOXTROT FOXTROT
SKYKING SKYKING THIS IS OFFUT THIS IS OFFUT
DO NOT ANSWER DO NOT ANSWER
BREAK BREAK
TANGO ROMEO QUEBEC
BREAK BREAK
AUTHENTICATION WHISKEY YANKEE
DO IT RIGHT RETURN IF ABLE
OFFUT OUT

quote:

MEECN REPEAT NATO/CRONOS
FLASH
RAVEN ROCK TO SKYBIRD
THULE BMEWR TRACKS DEVILS INBOUND RAVEN ROCK TRANSPOLAR
ANTICIPATE LOSS OF SERVICE RAVEN ROCK
MYSTIC STAR ASSUMES DIRECT COMMAND
GODSPEED
RAVEN ROCK CLEAR

e: forgive me for this request btw but I'd much rather crowdsource knowledge here than Reddit

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I worked adjacent to a Navy FOIA office for a few years. I doubt it's anything malicious. If I had to guess it's one of the following.

1) The documents people want are still classified. Frankly this is by far the most likely scenario, especially since loving EVERYTHING attached to Navy Nuclear is classified out the rear end. To the degree that actual USN historians have a hard time doing their jobs because of what they can put in official histories. I'm not just talking secret squirrel poo poo but even just basic reactor stuff that you can find out by opening up a high school textbook or using google. Plus, with subs in particular, individual patrols are often classified as hell. Supposedly those classifications should have an end date, but with those in particular that never happens.

2) The FOIA claims were somehow improperly filed. Stuff like someone looking for the deck logs for the day a helicopter accident hosed up his back, but the sailor can't remember the day so they just request all the logs for 1968. The FOIA office absolutely can shut down a request if it is too broad. Usually they will contact the person who issued the request to find out what they are looking for specifically and narrow it down, but they also get some frequent fliers that clog up the system. There is one academic who was notorious at the office I was adjacent to for making insanely huge requests. Like. . . . entire fleets worth of files for entire decades. FOIA isn't your personal research department and they're not going to mail you an entire archive's worth of files. If it's declassified stuff buy an airplane ticket, make an appointment, and the archivists will help you get your research done.

3) The documents aren't held by Navy any more. This is very unlikely because the files are probably classified, but if it's unclass and more than a few years old (I think 20?) they're supposed to transfer them to the National Archives. A lot of requests for Vietnam era stuff in particular were ended with a quick phone call and instructions on how to contact the Archives. Now, this wans't great for the people looking for the documents, because FOIA materials get copied and mailed to your house, while the National Archives requires someone to come in. Open access, but they won't just mail you a box of photocopies. If you're a guy in Ohio trying to document something for a VA request it's a lot easier if the USN still has your documents, otherwise you need to either hire a researcher in DC or make the trip yourself.

4) the documents being claimed have to somehow be scrubbed. Usually this involves PII. If you request deck logs that, in particular, can involve someone having to read through them all, redact personal info, and then send them on to you. For a very long time (up until IIRC 1970) the navy used SSNs (edit: as in social security number, not nuclear sub) as the identifying thing in pretty much everything. So you'd see "PO3 John Smith, SSN 11-11-1111 was injured when he slipped and fell" in between all the other random deck log poo poo. Supposedly they stopped that in the early 70s but I've seen SSNs right there in the log all the way up through the late 90s.* So if it's a lengthy delay it might have a lot to do with PII in the accident investigation reports etc.

All that said, I'd bet that it's #1. "Nuclear sub" and "FOIA request" is pretty much an automatic " I'll check but you loving KNOW it's classified out the rear end."

*Fun fact, those same SSNs are in the deck logs you can find at the National Archives and they straight don't give a gently caress.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

Still working on my fake nuclear war traffic for this real book that will actually come out in bookstores. How plausibly fake are these teletypes, any pointers on making them More Real? I feel like they're missing something, they're too basic. I clearly just made some poo poo up.

e: forgive me for this request btw but I'd much rather crowdsource knowledge here than Reddit

I dunno about anything else but generally you say “break” to indicate a momentary pause in transmission or change of topic, and “break break” to indicate a new line of communication to a different receiver.

“Striker 27 this is gazer42, have eyes on 3 adult males moving along ridgeline 600 meters east of your position -BREAK- (re-key mike) all three carrying probable weapons, will label them mover group alpha, over”

Vs

“Viper62 gazer42 - stare quad ones... BREAK BREAK - STRIKER gazer, confirmed muzzle flashes from mover group alpha”

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Might be more believable if OFFUTT had that extra "T."

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) The documents people want are still classified. Frankly this is by far the most likely scenario, especially since loving EVERYTHING attached to Navy Nuclear is classified out the rear end. To the degree that actual USN historians have a hard time doing their jobs because of what they can put in official histories. I'm not just talking secret squirrel poo poo but even just basic reactor stuff that you can find out by opening up a high school textbook or using google. Plus, with subs in particular, individual patrols are often classified as hell. Supposedly those classifications should have an end date, but with those in particular that never happens.

I've never seen DoE classified information, but apparently unlike even the most secret squirrel DoD or IC compartments, DoE classification doesn't expire even in theory. It's pretty :catstare:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Captain von Trapp posted:

I've never seen DoE classified information, but apparently unlike even the most secret squirrel DoD or IC compartments, DoE classification doesn't expire even in theory. It's pretty :catstare:

I don't know the specifics, but I heard a lot of grumbling in Navy historical circles about the DoE when it came to nuclear poo poo classification. Apparently it's a giant pain in the rear end for them and the classification status isn't entirely up to them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Might be more believable if OFFUTT had that extra "T."

Would they even say Offutt in message?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That Works posted:

Would they even say Offutt in message?

Very unlikely. It'd be codenames. But if it's moments before STRATCOM is wiped off the map by canned sunshine, who knows.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know the specifics, but I heard a lot of grumbling in Navy historical circles about the DoE when it came to nuclear poo poo classification. Apparently it's a giant pain in the rear end for them and the classification status isn't entirely up to them.

DOE sucks to work with because even if you have a DOD TSSCI it doesn’t entitle you to view Q-classified material. I’m sure it’s for a good reason though.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

LibCrusher posted:

DOE sucks to work with because even if you have a DOD TSSCI it doesn’t entitle you to view Q-classified material. I’m sure it’s for a good reason though.

I've also heard this was supposed to get standardized away, but this was years ago so I guess DoE killed it.

Their whole system is just Byzantine. Who decided Formerly Restricted Data was a good label for data that's still restricted?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Anecdotally, I had a professor who worked at Lawrence Livermore who often groused about not being able to talk to people who had produced documents because the moment those documents left their office down the hall and came to his office the people who made them no longer had clearance to see them, or some byzantine system to that effect.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Captain von Trapp posted:

Don't forget "born secret", where even if you discovered it independently, they can still claim it's classified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

NightGyr posted:

Don't forget "born secret", where even if you discovered it independently, they can still claim it's classified.

So you could break the law without ever knowing it?