Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I think some of the issue is there isn't really rigorous regulations and standards when it comes to charging units. Yeah there's going to be transmission cable requirements and a standard plug, but nowhere near the same level of hardiness or robustness requirements as a petrol or diesel pump.

There wasn't any regulation when petrol pumps were new, and there isn't really any need for chargers to have it. But sadly most business people are utter assholes and provide dogshit service until the law drags them kicking and screaming up to tiny minimum of decency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ola posted:

There wasn't any regulation when petrol pumps were new, and there isn't really any need for chargers to have it. But sadly most business people are utter assholes and provide dogshit service until the law drags them kicking and screaming up to tiny minimum of decency.

California is on the way to regulating charging...

https://electrek.co/2020/01/07/update-californias-ban-on-per-minute-billing-what-you-need-to-know/

The requirements are several years out, but they have started down that path.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
When new construction takes place you could regulate parking spots have charging available at a certain percentage.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tesla now at 11th place in reliability

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject...to-model-3.html

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tesla: more reliable than Toyota.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Godholio posted:

Tesla: more reliable than Toyota.

Hyundai more reliable then Tesla. :-)

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I think Tesla's are pretty reliable.

Most of the issues they seem to have are either cosmetic or software bugs.

Having lovely paint doesn't make the care unreliable. I've only got 5000 miles on mine, but haven't run into any serious issues. One time the screen rebooted while I was driving though, which was a little odd.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

“The rankings and "top picks" are based on a variety of factors, including an owner satisfaction survey of Consumer Reports members who review their vehicles. In addition, the Consumer Reports auto team tests dozens of new vehicles at the firm's test track in Connecticut.”

Not ranked solely on reliability

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SerCypher posted:

I think Tesla's are pretty reliable.

Most of the issues they seem to have are either cosmetic or software bugs.

Having lovely paint doesn't make the care unreliable. I've only got 5000 miles on mine, but haven't run into any serious issues. One time the screen rebooted while I was driving though, which was a little odd.

I think the S/X models lower Tesla's reliability due to them having so many features that make the car almost impossible to use when they fail; such as the door handles failing to present themselves, and quite a large percentage of the older models had a drive unit or battery replaced.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Plus the whompy wheels

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think the S/X models lower Tesla's reliability due to them having so many features that make the car almost impossible to use when they fail; such as the door handles failing to present themselves, and quite a large percentage of the older models had a drive unit or battery replaced.

I guess that's true.

It's not a minor glitch if you can't get into your car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SerCypher posted:

I guess that's true.

It's not a minor glitch if you can't get into your car.

Paint is falling off after 3 months, the only display in the car shutds down randomly and I can't get inside.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tried all electric snowmobile today. Really cool!

40 km range according to the people. Didn't feel heavy and it was very easy to be precise with the throttle. Gas powered ones I've tried felt quite jerky, you need to give quite a bit of gas before the variator kicks in. One of the guys there said he had never got stuck with an electric one and that it had much better traction in loose conditions.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I like the idea of a battery swappable between an electric snowmobile and an electric dirt bike/motorcycle. Only one is used at a time depending on the season. Hope someone does that.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
That gives me hope for my dream - an electric garden tractor.

Garden tractors are basically riding lawnmowers on steroids - 15-25 hp and built strong enough to hang 1800 lbs of equipment off them and go digging in the dirt.

Now that I have a Level 2 charging cord hanging on the back of the shed I might have to get serious about finding an appropriate double ended electric motor and hanging enough battery packs off my machines to get a couple of hours of work out them between charges.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hexigrammus posted:

Garden tractors are basically riding lawnmowers on steroids - 15-25 hp and built strong enough to hang 1800 lbs of equipment off them and go digging in the dirt.

Now that I have a Level 2 charging cord hanging on the back of the shed I might have to get serious about finding an appropriate double ended electric motor and hanging enough battery packs off my machines to get a couple of hours of work out them between charges.

This is a thought that's been bouncing around my head for a few years too. It'd be really easy (though fairly inefficient) to just drop a fixed speed motor in place of the engine and cram every remaining cubic inch of space full of batteries, keeping the rest of the drivetrain stock.

Ideally of course we'd replace the entire transaxle assembly with a variable speed motor (or two for differential steering) and then have an additional fixed-speed unit for the PTO drive, then the entire "nose" section could be for batteries and we wouldn't be burning as much energy when idle.

Either way as long as you could get enough energy onboard to mow your lawn completely in one shot even the Level 2 charger wouldn't really be a big deal for most home users. Even during the rainy season it's rare that I need to mow my lawn more than once every 4-6 days. Fast charging or battery swapping would be for commercial users who needed to run nearly non-stop.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 22, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hey goonfolk - I saw a Model Y up close yesterday on California 280. These are the pics I posted on reddit so I had to mark out faces / license plates.

Blurry shot of its new wheels

Next to a Vette

Next to a Lexus RX for size comparison

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Electric snowblower is my home ownership dream. I'd have to move out of my apartment though.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Ola posted:

Tried all electric snowmobile today. Really cool!

40 km range according to the people. Didn't feel heavy and it was very easy to be precise with the throttle. Gas powered ones I've tried felt quite jerky, you need to give quite a bit of gas before the variator kicks in. One of the guys there said he had never got stuck with an electric one and that it had much better traction in loose conditions.

How loud is it in comparison to others?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hexigrammus posted:

AI user Slung Blade converted his 1948 Massey Harris 20 tractor to electric a few years ago. Old blog with a bunch of expired pictures https://electric-massey.blogspot.com/ but you could probably PM him for a bit more info. He's got a thread here as well that probably has some tractor info - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264505

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat that Model Y is fugly

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

How loud is it in comparison to others?

It's very quiet. You hear the belt and drivetrain on hard snow, but in soft snow it's apparently almost silent.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
That would be an awesome tool for wildlife surveys. The difference between kayaking into an estuary and blasting in with an outboard powered rigid hull inflatable.

One of the adjustments I and our critters are making is the sound of my wife arriving home. We're on a dead end country road so after a while you recognize the sound of each neighbour's vehicle. With the Bolt it's just a change in the sound of the wind in the trees. Our dog is trained to come and sit by me until my wife has finished parking and turned off the engine, then she can go greet my wife. With the Bolt she has to be re-trained to wait for the car door to open before she moves as her ICE cues are gone.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hexigrammus posted:

Avant e could probably handle those uses.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Was at COTA today for the WEC qualifying. One of these was here. I got to have a much better look than I could at Frankfurt. It's not a pretty car at all, but the Panamera grew on me after a few years and design tweaks so who knows. Those wheels are awful though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The Taycan turbo S is at the Atlanta drive electric right now, it looks really awesome.

There was a Turbo S on display in Atlanta back in September, I like those wheels a lot.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Out of curiosity, is the Renault Zoe sold in the US?
Browsed the last few pages and saw no mention of it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, just signed a two year lease on a Seat Mii electric. Gonna be fun! When it's getting delivered in six loving months...

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Cardiac posted:

Out of curiosity, is the Renault Zoe sold in the US?
Browsed the last few pages and saw no mention of it.

Afaik, Renault does not directly do business in the US anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Westy543 posted:

I believe some Zoes showed up in the US as part of blueindy and other programs but they were never available to consumers.

40km range on that electric snowmobile seems a bit short. what temps and use cases do they have for that?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Figured. Hardly saw any French cars last time in Canada.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I believe some Zoes showed up in the US as part of blueindy and other programs but they were never available to consumers.

40km range on that electric snowmobile seems a bit short. what temps and use cases do they have for that?

400km (reality 250-300) which is plenty enough for the daily commute ( European distances).
Have so far (1 year) worked without any issues in south of Sweden. Fun car to drive and we have it as secondary car to our diesel Passat for everything short distance. Free charge at work as well. Replaced our 12 year old Volvo with it.
For some reason a lot of pizza delivery companies and municipalities are using them, which is probably due to tax benefits.

Edit. Mixed up distances

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 25, 2020

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Blue Indy is done in May hopefully I can buy up a couple of those cars for $500 each.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Delivery date emails are getting sent to some Model Y orders. Delivery dates could be picked starting on the 15th.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

ilkhan posted:

Delivery date emails are getting sent to some Model Y orders. Delivery dates could be picked starting on the 15th.

I've been seeing a couple on trucks outbound from the factory, so that checks out. Excite! Hopefully they're only slightly laden with horrific, catastrophic problems.

And more importantly I hope demand shifting to the Y pushes the price of the Model 3 down.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Westy543 posted:

Hey goonfolk - I saw a Model Y up close yesterday on California 280. These are the pics I posted on reddit so I had to mark out faces / license plates.

Blurry shot of its new wheels

Next to a Vette

Next to a Lexus RX for size comparison

What an ugly car.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Why does tesla love the fastback hatch so much, just make a regular functional rear hatch jfc

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
It’s an aerodynamics thing.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

priznat posted:

Why does tesla love the fastback hatch so much, just make a regular functional rear hatch jfc

Model Y
Model 3
Model X
Model S
Honda Insight
2/3/4th gen Prius
Original Honda Insight
GM EV1

Do you see a trend?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still hate those drat pseudo-hatches :colbert:

At least the Bolt/eGolf/Leaf are pretty normal (based on existing designs but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Well, I can confirm firsthand that the delivery ready emails are going out. I was just hoping to have one by end of July, definitely not ready to take delivery yet. Still need to finish convincing the wife it's a good decision, especially with the baby coming in May.

gently caress.