Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Defenestrategy posted:

All I have to say is China couldnt have used all that time money and energy to create a weaponized flu, and couldnt contain it. It makes no sense, the Soviet Union collapsed and didnt even accidentally release weaponized anthrax into the wild or what ever other disturbing Bioweapons they where working on. I'm not saying it isnt a thing that could happen, but it sounds like the most unlikeliest scenario.

The viral genome is out there and every virologist I've heard who was asked if it was engineered or not gave a pretty emphatic "gently caress no".

It should be pretty obvious from the sequence if it was built from something. Best analogy I can think of is like looking at a Lego structure made of all the correct pieces in the right color scheme vs that same structure made with a couple of different colored pieces that mismatch stuck in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tom Cotton has a bandwagon for his coronavirus theory.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1231252422900768768?s=19

I mean, it's the post and smart enough people treat it like the national enquirer anyhow, but this is goddamn dumb of them. Whatever sells papers, I guess.

How do we know Tom Cotton didn't create and release the virus?!

I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS!!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ poo poo you might be on to something, better get the Scooby crew together to solve this one.

EBB posted:

It may be a rag and this may sell papers, but this is exactly the kind of FUD that is feeding racism and xenophobia right now.

The hosed up part about this is twitter banned ZeroHedge for saying this poo poo what, two weeks ago? NY Post isn't going to have an account ban over this.

I don't really know who the gently caress ZeroHedge is, I just know twitter has been making GBS threads itself for weeks over it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I agree.

The whole escaped biolab thing just feels like bad fiction and if it really came from a biolab, something worse probably would have gotten out than a flu that only kills 3%~ of the infected (so far).

poo poo is getting wild though. Wonder what North Korea has going on since they don't report poo poo internationally.

actually a kinda-bad disease might make a better strategic weapon than a really-bad disease. China's gdp is going to take a huge hit from this.

e: even if i came to believe that corona was engineered, i would not necessarily believe it was engineered by Chinese folks.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 22, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

/\ poo poo you might be on to something, better get the Scooby crew together to solve this one.

The hosed up part about this is twitter banned ZeroHedge for saying this poo poo what, two weeks ago? NY Post isn't going to have an account ban over this.

I don't really know who the gently caress ZeroHedge is, I just know twitter has been making GBS threads itself for weeks over it.

What does sasquatch say caused it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What does sasquatch say caused it

We haven't convened lately to discuss disease transmissions, just try different weed strains.

Speaking of, I haven't smoked yet today. Time to remedy that mistake.

Lol

https://twitter.com/EricBlanco65/status/1231196069507321857?s=19

When coronavirus comes to Colorado, I'll be prepared.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 22, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

EBB posted:

It may be a rag and this may sell papers, but this is exactly the kind of FUD that is feeding racism and xenophobia right now.

My mom pulled that one on me last night and I was wondering where she got her hands on a 3 week old twitter rumor. I should have known.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

That Works posted:

The viral genome is out there and every virologist I've heard who was asked if it was engineered or not gave a pretty emphatic "gently caress no".

It should be pretty obvious from the sequence if it was built from something. Best analogy I can think of is like looking at a Lego structure made of all the correct pieces in the right color scheme vs that same structure made with a couple of different colored pieces that mismatch stuck in there.

So that one paper that said the surface protein sequence was similar to HIV surface proteins was bunk?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arcella posted:

So that one paper that said the surface protein sequence was similar to HIV surface proteins was bunk?

Link it? 2 viruses having "similar surface proteins" could be meaningful or could be the same as saying a Model T and a F1 car are the same because they have rubber tires.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That may just be as simple as both viruses having a similar capsid (the protein coat around the actual viral genetic material). Wiki says there are 2 types of those, and they’re defined by shape (helical vs a icosahedral [a 20-triangle conglomeration that is roughly sphere-shaped]).

e: a better link.

https://msu.edu/course/mmg/569/Virus%20Structure.htm

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

eh this is kinda disingenuous.

The entire modern social welfare state in the United States was built up by the Democratic Party, mainly from 1933-1968 when the Democrats dominated the Presidency and Congress (Including trifectas from 1933-1947, 1949-1953, and 1961-1969, a total of 26 years of Democratic control). Since then, the Democratic Party has mainly been on the defensive, taking heavy losses from realignment and only securing trifectas from 1977-1981, 1993-1995, and 2009-2011. Let me repeat that: The Democratic Party has only had eight years of full control of the government in the past fifty years. (And of course four of those years came under Carter, who infamously got along with Congress so poorly he squandered the last, best chance this country has ever had of establishing universal healthcare).

That time in the wilderness changes a party. When you hear most moderate Democrats talking, their objections to Medicare for All typically aren't on the principle that people don't deserve healthcare. It's that they don't think it's possible, or that it can be done without blowing a hole in the budget, because they've spent the past fifty years trying and often failing to defend the achievements of Roosevelt, Truman, and LBJ from the machinations of Nixon, Reagan, the Bushes, and Trump. When they've had control of Congress, they have tried to expand healthcare—Clinton tried and failed to pass a massive healthcare reform package (Though did succeed at passing CHIP), and Obama was only barely able to push through a severely weakened ACA.

The Democratic Party is deeply traumatized, and the only thing that will change that is winning. The more you win, the more you can pass, the more you can push the envelope of what people believe is possible. Until then, many are going to keep opposing major reform, because in their minds better things literally are not possible-only short, incremental hops, and desperate defenses of what little remains of their past victories.

I've been thinking about this a lot in recent months when I realized that in 50 years time there have been six* republican presidents to three democratic ones. The breakdown of years is 30 to 20. That's 60 loving percent. I was wondering what the makeup of the house and senate were by year as well as the scotus. I had no clue it was so dire.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've been thinking about this a lot in recent months when I realized that in 50 years time there have been six* republican presidents to three democratic ones. The breakdown of years is 30 to 20. That's 60 loving percent. I was wondering what the makeup of the house and senate were by year as well as the scotus. I had no clue it was so dire.

its worse than you think. after 2016 the Republicans were just a few states away from being able to call a loving Constitutional Convention. the party was absolutely annihilated nationwide during the Obama years but no one wants to address that because it might mean admitting the Obama years weren't all that great after all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its worse than you think. after 2016 the Republicans were just a few states away from being able to call a loving Constitutional Convention. the party was absolutely annihilated nationwide during the Obama years but no one wants to address that because it might mean admitting the Obama years weren't all that great after all.

Narrator: They weren't.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The worst part of all of this is the trend of humanity concentrating in cities while rural areas become mad max wastelands with an insurmountable majority representation in the Senate.
Immortan Joes illiterate faction of 20% of the population will never have less than 52 seats.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sacrist65 posted:

The worst part of all of this is that the trend of humanity concentrating in cities while rural areas become mad max wastelands with an insurmountable majority representation in the Senate.
Immortan Joes illiterate faction of 20% of the population will never have less than 52 seats.

lmao we are so hosed

bengy81
May 8, 2010
It's really fun to think about how in 20 years a ton of those rural districts are only gonna have residents that work for the mega farming companies that are scooping up cheap farm land. Pretty soon we won't need rules on PACS and lobbying groups, they will just be able to vote for whatever policy they want out in the open.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

That Works posted:

Link it? 2 viruses having "similar surface proteins" could be meaningful or could be the same as saying a Model T and a F1 car are the same because they have rubber tires.

Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1

Not peer-reviewed, and well out of my area of expertise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arcella posted:

Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1

Not peer-reviewed, and well out of my area of expertise.

Oh man this doesn't look good at all. Problem with people thinking Biorxiv is anything more than a draft.

Biggest problem is that hiv sequences are overrepresented in protein sequence database. So, you're going to get low level matches to HIV all the time. Second, structural elements of proteins that have similar functions are also going to be similar, in some parts of the protein, identical. I'm a bacteriologist not a virologist so willing to be wrong here but imo this isn't holding up vs Occam's Razor (sequences have similarities due to natural properties vs artificial).

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

That Works posted:

Biggest problem is that hiv sequences are overrepresented in protein sequence database.

This is an interesting point re: comparing things to databases, especially since HIV is notable for its variability in surface proteins.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Is that why the Japanese are using anti-HIV drugs to treat the virus?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current event: speaking of viruses, Medical Police is hilarious. It’s the actioned-up followon to Adult Swim’s Children’s Hospital.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Is that why the Japanese are using anti-HIV drugs to treat the virus?

They're using a drug combination they tried during the SARS outbreak.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
"China last month started testing Kaletra, a combination of the HIV drugs lopinavir and ritonavir, to treat COVID-19. Previous studies suggested Kaletra was effective in preventing SARS from maturing and replicating."

Lopinavir and ritonavir are protease inhibitors, and per UpToDate:

"There has also been interest in the combined protease inhibitor lopinavir-ritonavir, which is used for the treatment of HIV infection. This combined agent has in vitro activity against the SARS-CoV [45] and appears to have some activity against MERS-CoV in animal studies [46]. The use of this agent for treatment of COVID-19 has been described in case reports [47,48], but its efficacy is unclear, and it is being evaluated in larger randomized trials."

So to answer pantslesswithwolves' question, no that's not why, it's just that "hey maybe this protease inhibitor will work against Covid-19's replication"

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/MemeBloomberg/status/1231318468689039361?s=19

Goddamn she just sounds so disappointed in poor people who would actually *clutches pearls* support bernie

Alaan
May 24, 2005

So i don't have a link handy but actual microbiology people I follow say the sequence they point out also matches a pile of random viruses(like thousands) and cherry picking HIV is not inaccurate but not actually remotely interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Alaan posted:

So i don't have a link handy but actual microbiology people I follow say the sequence they point out also matches a pile of random viruses and cherry picking HIV is not inaccurate but not actually remotely interesting.

That's exactly what it looks like to me. You have a lot of sequence similarity for outer membrane and Spike proteins. seeing a few stretches of amino acid sequence that short that are highly similar or even identical to a totally different virus does not at all seem unusual.

E: read the paper more fully, it's poo poo.

That Works fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 22, 2020

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
CNN entrance polling is indicating that 51% are new caucus voters.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That Works posted:

That's exactly what it looks like to me. You have a lot of sequence similarity for outer membrane and Spike proteins. seeing a few stretches of amino acid sequence that short that are highly similar or even identical to a totally different virus does not at all seem unusual.

Yes but have you considered Q-anon deep state witchunt just asking question here? How can we, like, really know?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Yes but have you considered Q-anon deep state witchunt just asking question here? How can we, like, really know?

:getin:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The sequences those scientists showed matched were very small, very basic sequences that would’ve matched by chance anyways. It would be the equivalent of taking a paper someone wrote, searching it for the words “the” or “otherwise” and getting a match to a Wikipedia article with the same words and then accusing them of plagiarizing. There is no relation whatsoever between the actually vital sequences or protein structures between covid19 and HIV. The paper that first claimed this crazy theory was “published”, honestly can’t even be called published, by uploading it to a non-peer reviewed online journal with extremely low impact and hardly any restrictions on what can and can’t be published. It was roasted by the scientific community and later retracted.

Also, there’s just way too much epidemiological precedent and evidence for how this virus jumped from animal to human. It’s a historical commonality for coronavirus types to do so, this one is no different. But of course, people love the resident evil story line, and fear and lack of public knowledge make total quack theories like this gain traction.

Coronavirus is an RNA virus, which means it uses the host cell’s own machinery to turn from RNA into DNA and then to make more RNA again. It also uses a common function among viruses where during replication it builds a super long chained polyprotein that’s then cut by a protease into all of the pieces and parts that construct together to build the full virus particle. Think like how pieces for a Hobby plastic model kit come in those big rectangle skeleton/scaffold molds and you have to cut the pieces out of it before putting them together. It’s the same. Both of these functions of its replication are used by the HIV virus. They’re also used by a number of other families of virus. It’s not surprising (and it’s actually great) that the medications created to target and inhibit these functions in the HIV virus have enough partial binding activity against the equivalent coronavirus functions. I doubt the specific protein machines (the protease, etc) that HIV and coronavirus use are shaped identical, but they’re shaped close enough that the medication can bind well enough to work. It’s improvisation. It’s good news. There are so few antiviral medications actually on the market. Acyclovir and gancyclovir are the two most commonly used antivirals. They target a very common function in viruses and are used to fight all sorts of viruses, some better than others.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

The sequences those scientists showed matched were very small, very basic sequences that would’ve matched by chance anyways. It would be the equivalent of taking a paper someone wrote, searching it for the words “the” or “otherwise” and getting a match to a Wikipedia article with the same words and then accusing them of plagiarizing. There is no relation whatsoever between the actually vital sequences or protein structures between covid19 and HIV. The paper that first claimed this crazy theory was “published”, honestly can’t even be called published, by uploading it to a non-peer reviewed online journal with extremely low impact and hardly any restrictions on what can and can’t be published. It was roasted by the scientific community and later retracted.

Also, there’s just way too much epidemiological precedent and evidence for how this virus jumped from animal to human. It’s a historical commonality for coronavirus types to do so, this one is no different. But of course, people love the resident evil story line, and fear and lack of public knowledge make total quack theories like this gain traction.

Coronavirus is an RNA virus, which means it uses the host cell’s own machinery to turn from RNA into DNA and then to make more RNA again. It also uses a common function among viruses where during replication it builds a super long chained polyprotein that’s then cut by a protease into all of the pieces and parts that construct together to build the full virus particle. Think like how pieces for a Hobby plastic model kit come in those big rectangle skeleton/scaffold molds and you have to cut the pieces out of it before putting them together. It’s the same. Both of these functions of its replication are used by the HIV virus. They’re also used by a number of other families of virus. It’s not surprising (and it’s actually great) that the medications created to target and inhibit these functions in the HIV virus have enough partial binding activity against the equivalent coronavirus functions. I doubt the specific protein machines (the protease, etc) that HIV and coronavirus use are shaped identical, but they’re shaped close enough that the medication can bind well enough to work. It’s improvisation. It’s good news. There are so few antiviral medications actually on the market. Acyclovir and gancyclovir are the two most commonly used antivirals. They target a very common function in viruses and are used to fight all sorts of viruses, some better than others.

Are these the viral budding / release protease inhibitors? I could see that being generalizable beyond HIV.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

CNN entrance polling is indicating that 51% are new caucus voters.

Awesome, get that momentum into Super Tuesday

https://twitter.com/krystalball/status/1231323739385581568?s=19

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1231359790602866688?s=19

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Met my new lecturer for a software component of my degree a week or two back.

Frazzled looking lady in her 50’s who is a micro biologist, she immediately informed the class the the virus was man made despite no one asking.

Was the first I’d heard of that rumour

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have CBSN on in the background and Bernie is loving crushing it from the results so far. 56% of ages 17-44 at this point but it's early yet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Personally speaking I think the real story of this election is how Biden failed to attract anyone outside the Boomers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah Bernie won and it's not even particularly close. Looking like a Bernie blowout when the expectation was just a ~10% win. Could actually be around over on Super Tuesday!

The Never Trump-conservatives are going absolutely apeshit on my feed right now. But, they have no constituency, Bernie has actual passionate supporters, and if you're going to have an election about ideas, Bernie's your guy.

The "COMMIE SOCIALIST SCUM" ads are going to be flying like crazy, but Trumpers shot that wad years ago and everyone thinks Trump's a liar anyways.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Personally speaking I think the real story of this election is how Biden failed to attract anyone outside the Boomers.

You're going to hear lots of newspeople basically say "SEE, DONNIE'S RUSSIAN poo poo WORKED!!!!1". The real story is that Biden's just a poo poo campaigner and very obviously lost steps from where he was. Plus, he's the "go back to how it was" candidate, and that poo poo doesn't sell, since it led here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Abongination posted:

Met my new lecturer for a software component of my degree a week or two back.

Frazzled looking lady in her 50’s who is a micro biologist, she immediately informed the class the the virus was man made despite no one asking.

Was the first I’d heard of that rumour

She's delusional. HTH

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1231340312389390342?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Man, we're really going to have to work hard to get a centrist the nomination so we can draw away those reluctant Trump voters now.