Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah what keeps bogging down my dwarf run is that every turn is another fight thats super easy but takes 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gorelab posted:

For a start marked as easy the dwarf king dude feels like I'm just surrounded by too many enemies to get a handle on due to being at war with like every drat orc.

The listed difficulties have little to do with reality.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Speaking of, I've been trying to move up from Easy to Normal as the Dwarfs but man, the jump in difficulty is intense. Tried the strategy of raiding the Orcs to the south to fund my starting province, and all that got me was every orc on the planet confederating by turn 40 and regularly facing two and three stack invasions from both North and South so often that I just don't have a chance to do anything more than defend.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ArchRanger posted:

Speaking of, I've been trying to move up from Easy to Normal as the Dwarfs but man, the jump in difficulty is intense. Tried the strategy of raiding the Orcs to the south to fund my starting province, and all that got me was every orc on the planet confederating by turn 40 and regularly facing two and three stack invasions from both North and South so often that I just don't have a chance to do anything more than defend.

Keys to Dwarfs for me were:

Expanding the gem mines in your capital ASAP
Getting walls in your towns ASAP
Building armies based around warriors, quarrellers and grudge throwers

I don't try to expand overly quick - all that gets you is orcs popping up from the Underway to raze your unwalled towns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I still think that the Dwarf start is easy, but it's easy in the sense that you have a roster of very powerful units, and that leads to your defensive situation being very easy as long as you're prudent about expanding. Eventually you'll get to a point where your army composition is powerful enough that you can take on multiple armies at once, and then it's all a matter of momentum.

That said, Eshin joining the fray definitely qualifies as a difficulty increase, just as the Empire start slowly grew from Normal to Get hosed, Human as more factions were added.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

If/when orcs get updated it's probably gonna get harder

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

albany academy posted:

If/when orcs get updated it's probably gonna get harder

hopefully they sort out the eshin-dwarf alliance problem.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Ammanas posted:

hopefully they sort out the eshin-dwarf alliance problem.

In my wood elf campaign it was mors until the greenskins got annihilated

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Honestly this Gelt start doesn’t feel very hard, especially if you ally with the nearby dwarfs and send them after people

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can you quick build buildings in Warhammer 2 for extra money?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Not unmodded, no.
e: the skaven mechanic maybe sort of counts but it's only for the settlement building iirc

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The start position difficulty is in some way reflective of launch difficulty, which has since changed drastically. Dwarfs are a bit odd since they are very easy in that it's quite hard to outright lose, but it's fairly easy to overextend and end up stuck for ages. Expand slowly and steadily and you'll be fine. Empire started off slightly harder and then got progressively much harder as new DLCs came out and added new hostile LLs, but then their recent rework and the changes to autoresolve mean that it's a lot easier to secure borders, the vassal Empire factions tend to last a lot longer against LLs, and it's easier to confederate them, so now Reikland has one of the easier starts.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
DLC news in april or may apparently from Grace.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Would anyone have any good mods for dealing with Hero-Tide/NATO? I am not asking for the game to be brutally difficult but when Chaos is so easily contained that as the Empire, they're completely unseen then the game almost feels like a formality at that point. As Reikland I watched the Vampire Counts get run over by Stirland and Dwarves whilst Naggarond had some terrible unseen fate done to it by High Elves. As said I am not looking for a massive challenge as much as to have something resembling an end game boss.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

SkySteak posted:

Would anyone have any good mods for dealing with Hero-Tide/NATO? I am not asking for the game to be brutally difficult but when Chaos is so easily contained that as the Empire, they're completely unseen then the game almost feels like a formality at that point. As Reikland I watched the Vampire Counts get run over by Stirland and Dwarves whilst Naggarond had some terrible unseen fate done to it by High Elves. As said I am not looking for a massive challenge as much as to have something resembling an end game boss.

there are a lot of increased strength Chaos/end times mods.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
AI VC really benefit from simply artificially giving them an autoresolve bonus, like the from artificial selection mod. As is their lack of ranged power hurts them badly in autoresolve and since they no longer get bonuses for being led by LLs, they often fail to make any headway against the elector counts at all.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

glad Im not the only one with the weird "push foot enemy around while trying to run em down as cav" bug. Its loving annoying as hell.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's less of a bug and more of a failure of design, IMO. Yeah these fancy animations look sick, but there's a reason why older TW titles were so much more fatal: less fussy animations, more simple attacks and damage on mere contact during charges, plus binary states of health for 90% of units meant that poo poo died extremely quickly.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

SkySteak posted:

Unnatural Selection 2 lets you buff/debuff major AI factions autoresolv, can balance it out or help other factions grow. This Averlon game I buffed all the Skaven majors and now clan mors have 72 settlements :v:

edit: A true vermintide(Also buffed Wulfric since I was tired of Norsca getting conquered every single game)

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 23, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

The start position difficulty is in some way reflective of launch difficulty, which has since changed drastically. Dwarfs are a bit odd since they are very easy in that it's quite hard to outright lose, but it's fairly easy to overextend and end up stuck for ages. Expand slowly and steadily and you'll be fine. Empire started off slightly harder and then got progressively much harder as new DLCs came out and added new hostile LLs, but then their recent rework and the changes to autoresolve mean that it's a lot easier to secure borders, the vassal Empire factions tend to last a lot longer against LLs, and it's easier to confederate them, so now Reikland has one of the easier starts.

Yeah, if you just sit, secure your borders, reinforce them with tier 3 buildings and only then move out, you're fine, its just boring imo

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm trying an Empire start using Lucky's. I'm Gelt, and I'm doing alright...but then Mannfred starts beating up my allies. The issue is that he has his dragon already, and he can two-shot Gelt and then mulch my entire army with it.

So my only option seem to be "wait for Dragon Manny to kill all my friends while I try to tech up, I guess?".

I don't have much artillery yet. I just disposed of Black Venom faction. Any advice on dealing with that rear end in a top hat?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you can hold the rest of his army just bring an extra pair of spears and a nice 4+ of free company, handgunners or even archers/crossbows + curse of rust. Lords on Dragons are imposing, sure. They're also Large and if he's suicide rushing Gelt then meet him with a hard counter, get the Lord pick and watch those undead crumble.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Devorum posted:

I'm trying an Empire start using Lucky's. I'm Gelt, and I'm doing alright...but then Mannfred starts beating up my allies. The issue is that he has his dragon already, and he can two-shot Gelt and then mulch my entire army with it.

So my only option seem to be "wait for Dragon Manny to kill all my friends while I try to tech up, I guess?".

I don't have much artillery yet. I just disposed of Black Venom faction. Any advice on dealing with that rear end in a top hat?

From what I remember of Lucky's, a cast of Curse of Rust is basically custom-made for loving over single large armored entities. So do that and shoot him with a fuckload of guns. He's large enough on that dragon that firing arcs shouldn't be an issue.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Okay. I guess I'll take Gelt off his Pegasus to force Manny to the ground and replace a couple of swordsmen with Halberdiers.

I don't have handgunners yet, but I do have a ton of Free Company.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Devorum posted:

Okay. I guess I'll take Gelt off his Pegasus to force Manny to the ground and replace a couple of swordsmen with Halberdiers.

I don't have handgunners yet, but I do have a ton of Free Company.

keep gelt on the pegasus, hes much faster than dragons. bait the dumb ai with gelt, draw them into your gunline. you can usually dispense of him before infantry meet.

also handgunners are the best non-elite unit the Empire has. rush to them and have 6.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah you gotta get those Handgunners online ASAP, particularly in Lucky's. Guns in LO are the best single-target killers in the game.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

What am I supposed to be doing as Sartosa? I have a strong army comp that I am using. I'm going with that around and making pirate coves, but I keep having to come back and replenish my horde fleets, or deal with Ikit, or the not-Italy people.

Does NATO eventually break up? I had an orc campaign that I Won the hell war with all the dwarves plus eshin, queek, Khalida, and Kroq'gar when I got war decc'd by half the map when Archaon died.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ammanas posted:

keep gelt on the pegasus, hes much faster than dragons. bait the dumb ai with gelt, draw them into your gunline. you can usually dispense of him before infantry meet.

also handgunners are the best non-elite unit the Empire has. rush to them and have 6.

Tried this. Mannfred just kills Gelt in the air with magic and my army routs. I beat Mannfred, but then Vlad showed up and he's level 38 when I'm still level 20 and he regenerates so fast that I can't even dent his HP with Plague of Rust at 100% and 8 ranged units plus my infantry focusing him. No bright wizards because I used my money building stuff to beat the Greenskins.

I guess I focused on the wrong stuff in the beginning and now I'm screwed.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Krataar posted:

What am I supposed to be doing as Sartosa? I have a strong army comp that I am using. I'm going with that around and making pirate coves, but I keep having to come back and replenish my horde fleets, or deal with Ikit, or the not-Italy people.

Does NATO eventually break up? I had an orc campaign that I Won the hell war with all the dwarves plus eshin, queek, Khalida, and Kroq'gar when I got war decc'd by half the map when Archaon died.

Make money, raise your infamy. Don't take land, unless it contributes to those goals.

As for NATO, there's a big diplo malus that hits them all once Archaon is dead, which is meant to lead to endless war between them. In practice, if the player is an evil faction, the alliance will hold as long as they have a common enemy-- so, until the player is dead. There isn't really any way to fix this in the game's current state. You can play as a central faction and try to kill the Empire (or dwarves, or HElves) ASAP, or you can use a mod to nerf the goodies.

The way things are now, it's not turn times keeping me away from Mortal Empires. It's the alliance. There needs to be more variance in late-campaign outcomes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Always have a bright wizard. I'm running a Malekith campaign in LO and his fire mage groupie he starts with has been making up about 60% of all the total kills. Overcast fireball is loving amazing at max range, it's like 30 mini fireballs lobbed in a nice wide line that can flatten hordes of trash units from far away. Piercing Bolts of Burning is similar but spread in a more circular effect (I haven't tried the overcast version but even just the base version is phenomenal).

VS a nasty flying LL, I'd overcast final transmutation on him near some other nasties. This will freeze him in midair for an impressive 90 seconds (as well as DoT him). You want a Lunimark and the RoR Lunimark on top of this ; as your spell is freezing him you focus fire with all your ranged units, right when it is about to wear off you use the RoR's Net to root him some more.

Luminarks do magical and fire damage. In LO regenerating lords can get hard to kill but remember the fire vulnerability stacks. So you can work out kindleflame passive, regeneration fire vulnerability, vampirism fire vulnerability, enhanced regeneration fire vulnerability, etc.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Krataar posted:

You can replenish on land and you can buff the replenishment by alot with the VC faction. Plus use the raise dead alot (only works on land atm unfortunately). Also should have allies with ikit, good trading partner and helpful in keeping those human armies in check.

I'm currently playing as noctulus and using the fact that I never take on settlements, have been giving my allies more breathing room (delfs, skaven etc) by raiding and sacking cities near their armies.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Noir89 posted:

Unnatural Selection 2 lets you buff/debuff major AI factions autoresolv, can balance it out or help other factions grow. This Averlon game I buffed all the Skaven majors and now clan mors have 72 settlements :v:

edit: A true vermintide(Also buffed Wulfric since I was tired of Norsca getting conquered every single game)

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

This entire affair with the Empire has been a learning experience, though there is a couple of things I'm curious about :

1. Is it viable to glacially confederate each elector count as I go along (never keeping imperial authority below 0) or should I be actively murdering them? It felt like as long as I kept some prestige oh hand to block any succession, then I could not worry about them and focus on whatever little goal I wanted.

2. When I fought Norsca I quickly found that they'd barrage through my line and simply harass my ranged units into uselessness, even with skirmish mode off. It seemed like Greatswords helped along with some careful gunline positioning, but mostly I began to use Grenade Outriders. Is there any other tricks useful to Empire when attacking Norsca.

3. Do you use Warrior Priests for anything? Their replenishment buff is nice but they seem like worse Empire Captains.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I bought TW:W 1 like 2 years ago on sale and steam says I played 90 minutes before bouncing off basically because I loved tabletop Warhammer as a kid and TW combat is like the complete opposite of that and it really bothered me enough to make me lose interest (my last TW game was the very first Medieval game back in 2003 or so and I didn't really remember what TW combat was like). But I feel more like trying the game on its own merits now. Are there any really good/important mods I should get, or is it better to just play the base game on its own first? Also are there any good (and short) beginner guides or the like? beforeiplay doesn't have an entry for TW:W1 and the one for TW:W2 seems to be basically just about the new content rather than, like, how to actually play the game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like legends of total war on youtube, but honestly I didn't get over the learning curve until I played a coop campaign with a friend and they were on hand to answer two or three questions a turn for 50 turns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SkySteak posted:

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

This entire affair with the Empire has been a learning experience, though there is a couple of things I'm curious about :

1. Is it viable to glacially confederate each elector count as I go along (never keeping imperial authority below 0) or should I be actively murdering them? It felt like as long as I kept some prestige oh hand to block any succession, then I could not worry about them and focus on whatever little goal I wanted.

2. When I fought Norsca I quickly found that they'd barrage through my line and simply harass my ranged units into uselessness, even with skirmish mode off. It seemed like Greatswords helped along with some careful gunline positioning, but mostly I began to use Grenade Outriders. Is there any other tricks useful to Empire when attacking Norsca.

3. Do you use Warrior Priests for anything? Their replenishment buff is nice but they seem like worse Empire Captains.

1) Yes, very. The pace ramps up as you start narrowing the number of factions who can be part of those dilemmas, so it gets faster. If a count declares war on me, I usually let them and crush them afterwardsm but rarely focus on doing so. Never declare war on an elector yourself. Marienburg does not count as an Elector at the start of the game, so feel free to attack them asap.

2) what units were smashing through your lines completely? Lots of mammoths? Norsca tends to be lightly armored, so mortars do a lot of good work on them. Once they get marauder champions spammed everywhere, you'll need more AP units.

3) Yes, I use one in every army I can. They're worse Empire Captains in combat and can't get a flying mount, but they do get some really nice activated buffs, including a +24 melee attack in an aura for 25 seconds on a 60 second cooldown and a +22 physical resist on a 90 second cooldown. Mixed in with some greatswords or halberdiers and those state troops will punch far, far above their weight. They also get a magical bombardment that's fine I guess. They also give enemy casters a global 25% miscast chance which can add up in terms of free damage I suppose. Lastly, their replenishment bonus is really solid as far as campaign effects go and lets you extend your campaigns a lot farther. Meanwhile, I rarely see a use for captains. Franz can go bully things on his own. Gelt just brings more artillery or guns or steamtanks. Basic Generals maybe get one or two to help them kill things, but captains just never seem to find a place in my armies. By the time I might want one, I rarely have one high enough level to actually be useful compared to another unit of guns/halberds/cavalry. I still think they should get bodyguard/cavalry/gunpowder/infantry army-wide buffs or auras that are mutually exclusive, like Gorebulls or Handmaidens.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like legends of total war on youtube, but honestly I didn't get over the learning curve until I played a coop campaign with a friend and they were on hand to answer two or three questions a turn for 50 turns.

Hmmm okay, I'll check that out then thanks. Generally prefer text guides, but at least videos are clearer. Can always speed them up.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

-Empire Tips-

1. Good to know, given how horrifying those global penalties get it feels like it could easily spiral out of control.

2. A combination of Chariots and Giants/Mammoths. Skin Wolves would also be really hard to pin down and persistently. I think a large part of the problem was not enough AP to mulch what Norsca brought, combined with just assuming that Swordsmen wouldn't just melt like a chocolate teapot against even a lower tier army.

3. Good to know there. To be honest I usually used Empire captains as a bit of a leadership boost with 'Hold the Line', or had them as independent agents attempting to spread public order (I was basically focusing on fixing Norsca as every other threat was dead).

Noir98 posted:

Unnatural Selection 2 lets you buff/debuff major AI factions autoresolv, can balance it out or help other factions grow. This Averlon game I buffed all the Skaven majors and now clan mors have 72 settlements

Exactly what I was looking for thank you; buffs to villainous factions without having to increase difficulty or contrive war against Lothern/Dwarves and their 50 settlements and armies.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I normally use Captains to murder the enemy agents rather than as battle units.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Cannons should have a Grapeshot alternate fire to help them get more kills when the lines close. You could do that in tabletop back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grumio posted:

Cannons should have a Grapeshot alternate fire to help them get more kills when the lines close. You could do that in tabletop back in the day

I think VC cannons were originally gonna get something like that but CA took it out.