Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Winslow died on the way back to his home planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Lemming posted:

I don't think anyone here who's been on the internet for twenty years escaped the early 2000s without a shameful folder of webcomic bookmarks

Why in God's name would we be looking at political cartoons still, the disease is inside us

Oh my god Sluggy Freelance is somehow still going. I stopped reading that thing nearly two decades ago! :psyduck:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh my god Sluggy Freelance is somehow still going. I stopped reading that thing nearly two decades ago! :psyduck:

Yeah. It just keeps going.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"If winter, why no snow:shepface:"

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Speaking of both Calvin and Hobbes and webcomics, I I’ve been curious to go back and look at Ozy and Millie/Dana’s old politoons. I seem to remember O&M tackling a lot of the same subject matter but more effectively. I wonder if they hold up.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alhazred posted:

"If winter, why no snow:shepface:"

Unfortunately this is reality this winter in much of Finland. Lapland is getting record snow, southern Finland has no snow and no sub-zero weather and then somewhere inbetween they generate snow for ski tracks and hope rains don't flush it right away.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Boris Johnson takes cover from the rising waters - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s attitude to the pressing issues of the day"

Sunday Telegraph:

The One With the Reunion: Friends cast to return for TV special

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

How have the flat earth people responded to that anyway? I assume they’re shrieking “ the VILLAINOUS globehead desperate shot down our brave TRUTH WARRIOR!!! :byodood:
I don't want to go down the google hole to insanity, but... what do these people think the earth is shaped like, why don't ships / planes fall off, and why is there a global world-wide conspiracy to pretend the earth is the wrong shape?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Xander77 posted:

I don't want to go down the google hole to insanity, but... what do these people think the earth is shaped like, why don't ships / planes fall off, and why is there a global world-wide conspiracy to pretend the earth is the wrong shape?

Have you ever looked at the UN logo? It's a top down view of the world with the north pole as the center. They think it's shaped like that and Antarctica is a circle of ice that wraps around the disc shaped world (but we're not fun like Discworld), which prevents boats from just falling right off the edge. Also they think airlines are in on the conspiracy and in fact they use planes as proof the world is flat. There is no explanation for why this conspiracy is being spread, but it goes hand in hand with the moon landing being faked (because we can't have gone to the moon and taken photos of the earth that show it to be a globe, you see).

For a more in depth explanation of all their stupid poo poo, Hbomberguy did a video about it and that pretty much covers everything you ever didn't want to know about flat earthers.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 23, 2020

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ramirez coming out for publicly funded elections. Absolute shocker

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Unfortunately this is reality this winter in much of Finland. Lapland is getting record snow, southern Finland has no snow and no sub-zero weather and then somewhere inbetween they generate snow for ski tracks and hope rains don't flush it right away.
It is what is happening in Norway too. I've been wearing sneakers from january to february which is not normal!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Alhazred posted:

It is what is happening in Norway too. I've been wearing sneakers from january to february which is not normal!

correction, its new normal

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CuwiKhons posted:

For a more in depth explanation of all their stupid poo poo, Hbomberguy did a video about it and that pretty much covers everything you ever didn't want to know about flat earthers.
Yeah, I've watched that video. One of Hbomb's worse videos, because it didn't answer any of the questions above.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lietha getting on that transphobia train.

Lots to love here:
1. The presumably cis girl being a string bean despite being on steroids
2. The trans woman is the classic hulking linebacker.
3. A linebacker in what appears to be a running competition, where being stacked like the hulk is a complete waste of your training time.
4. Continuing the lie that a dude can just announce they're a woman at the last minute and win, ignoring the (in some cases very unreasonable) hoops you gotta jump through to compete as a trans woman.
5. God is apparently non-binary.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea that’s poor timing

On the contrary, it's perfect timing

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, I've watched that video. One of Hbomb's worse videos, because it didn't answer any of the questions above.

There's no actual consistency between flat earthers and what they believe apart from the belief that something is wrong with the world and we are being lied to by powerful people, both of which aren't actually incorrect. The actual things flat earthers believe can't be addressed directly because they fall into Not Even Wrong, a special definition of wrongness that means that their fundamental precepts are so far askew from reality that you can't even meaningfully argue against them because there's nothing there to argue against in a meaningful, rational way. They've learned to reject the evidence of their own eyes and ears in favour of the brain loops that they've already accepted as reality. They look at evidence that counters their beliefs, like direct flights that they've just said don't exist, or the actual curvature of the actual earth that can be observed from height, and say, with a straight face, "I don't believe that's real."

Trying to meaningfully break down what any of them believe is an exercise in futility because they're not falsifiable; they're not based on evidence, and they can't be countered by evidence to the contrary. It's like trying to split hairs about God's nature or actions with a Christian, or argue the nature of the free market with a Libertarian.

Also gotta love the massive nose on the guy giving out the medal. I'm sure that's just incidental though and I'm reading too much into it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Somfin posted:

Also gotta love the massive nose on the guy giving out the medal. I'm sure that's just incidental though and I'm reading too much into it.

I hate that a drawing with a comically large nose can both be a perfectly fine caricature and also a racist dogwhistle.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

The opposition leader Antony Albanese announces the Labor party will aim for a 2050 net zero carbon emissions strategy, with no new taxpayer-funded coal power stations but stressing a future for coal mining.

Broelman:

Rowe:

Spooner:

Zanetti:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I love this idea that we have to keep burning coal because if we switch to green energy sources the world will become too cold.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

I love this idea that we have to keep burning coal because if we switch to green energy sources the world will become too cold.

Global warming, like international debt, is nothing like the household version of the thing with the same name. These fuckers don't comprehend that things are very different at much larger and much smaller scales.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

What is with australians and thinking if you decide to stop using power that causes emission means " I GEESS WE JUST WONT HAVE ELECTRICITY, BACK TO THA STONE AGE MATES!"

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
They make money from coal and no argument will change them wanting that money

Edit: they ain't be genuine with you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

World Famous W posted:

They make money from coal and no argument will change them wanting that money

Edit: they ain't be genuine with you

They don't actually, that's the point.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Samurai Sanders posted:

From what I understand, it's not "you" though, it's that they want to give SOMEONE ELSE free stuff.

They'll never permit their supporters to imagine a situation where they could get that stuff, even though that's exactly what Bernie (and to a lesser dergee the others) is proposing.

God I loving hate this argument.

It's not FREE STUFF.

It's paid for with taxes.

We pay taxes so that those taxes can be spent on things that benefit us. There is no free anywhere in that calculation.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mistikman posted:

It's not FREE STUFF.

We pay taxes so that those taxes can be spent on things that benefit us. There is no free anywhere in that calculation.

Um excuse me what about the people who pay no taxes like Bezos uh wait someone who isn't one of the ubermenschen uh poors

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Poor people don't have money, therefore they aren't paying taxes (at least not to the degree that I, A Person With A Real Job, pay) and they're the ones that benefit for free (it doesn't matter that I benefit too, I paid for it so I should benefit).

Rich people not paying taxes never enters into the equation at any point.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mistikman posted:

It's not FREE STUFF.

This makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

I volunteer for a campaign trying to get universal preschool in our city. Yesterday I was gathering signatures and some guy wanted to know how it'd be paid for.

"By taxing--"
"See! There you go! If it's a tax it's not really free."
"--the top 5% of the wealthiest people."
"You people just want to keep piling taxes on us!"
"Do you make under $200,000 a year? Then you won't pay any tax for this."
"But it's not free, is it!"

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Since when the gently caress have those fucks ever had a loving podcast? :mad:

Also I like how Carmen is the one rolling her eyes despite adding nothing to the conversation or offering up a single alternative subject.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

1. Go gently caress yourself with a baseball Stantis

2. A rape joke Rameriz? Yeah you can go gently caress yourself too

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hihohe posted:

What is with australians and thinking if you decide to stop using power that causes emission means " I GEESS WE JUST WONT HAVE ELECTRICITY, BACK TO THA STONE AGE MATES!"

Rupert Murdoch.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Pants Donkey posted:

Lietha getting on that transphobia train.

Lots to love here:
1. The presumably cis girl being a string bean despite being on steroids
2. The trans woman is the classic hulking linebacker.
3. A linebacker in what appears to be a running competition, where being stacked like the hulk is a complete waste of your training time.
4. Continuing the lie that a dude can just announce they're a woman at the last minute and win, ignoring the (in some cases very unreasonable) hoops you gotta jump through to compete as a trans woman.
5. God is apparently non-binary.

Lol yeah the woman on steroids is a stick figure while the woman on literal anti-steroids to meet requirements to compete is a giant, that is definitely how hormones work. Lietha don't need one of those fancy medical degrees, more like endoCRIMEnology amirite?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Since when the gently caress have those fucks ever had a loving podcast? :mad:
Since 2017. Just reached 100 episodes! :sadpeanut:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I pity the fool who believe that the all powerful all knowing creator of the cosmos is limited to the form of an old white man.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

By popular demand posted:

I pity the fool who believe that the all powerful all knowing creator of the cosmos is limited to the form of an old white man.

well yeah, corpses tend to be more grey than white

we killed god and we'll do it again - American Philosophy Association

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

T-man posted:

well yeah, corpses tend to be more grey than white

we killed god and we'll do it again - American Philosophy Association

Imagine the handshake meme with the American Philosophy Association and JRPG protagonists about killing god.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: A New Plan for Mike Bloomberg - Stay inside

Ted Rall posted:

After Mike Bloomberg delivered a historically disastrous performance at his first Democratic presidential debate in Las Vegas, you have to wonder how it was possible for him to get 19% in the polls purely on the strength of TV ads. From now on, if he wants to survive, he has to stay indoors.

Tags: 2020 presidential debate, charisma, michael bloomberg, Mike Bloomberg, television ads, TV ads

First Dog on the Moon: The Raccoons of the Resistance* on the inevitable Bernie Sanders presidency

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

HootTheOwl posted:

They don't actually, that's the point.
You right, missed the general population part of that

EDIT: A spirit critter

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 24, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

By popular demand posted:

Yeah, everyone knows the lord is much more interesting than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I don't know how first dog finds the energy to keep up with the United States being on metaphorical fire and Australia being literally on fire at the same time.

One would suspect cocaine is involved but he doesn't seem like the type.