Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
They’re adding lots of stuff and that’s great but there is a basic “grind is good” philosophy to the activities and that is bad.

It’s disappointing to log in about the exciting marquee new feature of the sandbox game and discover that it’s gated behind some part of the game that you didn’t want to engage with. For me who is starting new, it sucks that this is yet another thing locked behind resource accumulation. It’s an unnecessary feel bad moment in a game that should be a delight.

I’m sure once I play more all these currencies will be in plentiful supply but I’m on console so I can’t just save edit away their bad taste in gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Any idea when it hits the PS4? My PC doesn't run NMS amazingly. Not enough video ram of all things. So yeah. I checked the PS4 just now. No updates. Last one was in January :(

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

General_Failure posted:

Any idea when it hits the PS4? My PC doesn't run NMS amazingly. Not enough video ram of all things. So yeah. I checked the PS4 just now. No updates. Last one was in January :(

According to this, you should have got it 2 days ago.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/02/19/no-mans-sky-living-ship-update-sails-today/

If you can check your version it should be 2.30

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i just rolled my system clock forward to get the ship lol

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

blarzgh posted:

Ship is only available by purchasing the egg with Quicksilver.

You can earn 250 qs/day, and more on weekends. Also I'm pretty sure If you start in the middle of the week, you can do the previous dailys for that week (start on Wednesday, you can do Mon, Tues, and We'd for 750 total). There's also some sort of weekly community bonus.

Should only be a week and a couple days of logging on; not that bad and really, it's sort of spoiled of us to complain about a minor gateway to some awesome free content, considering how much they've done over the last four years without charging us anything extra.

You can do one quicksilver mission per day of play. This rolls over to a maximum of three. If you don't at least start up the game, even just for five minutes, you won't get a quicksilver charge.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

General_Failure posted:

How little vram do you have? I had to set textures to high for 1080p on 6gb and even then it has trouble in the anomaly. There's a tooltip when settings texture quality as to recommended vram amounts for each setting.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"The Living Ships can only be obtained through purchasing a Void Egg and following its questline. After the first, subsequent Living Ships cost 10,000 nanites to obtain, rather than building it from scratch."

So after we get one, we can upgrade with nanites

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

blarzgh posted:

"The Living Ships can only be obtained through purchasing a Void Egg and following its questline. After the first, subsequent Living Ships cost 10,000 nanites to obtain, rather than building it from scratch."

So after we get one, we can upgrade with nanites

I just read something that implied you have to 'nurture' your ship to upgrade.

hmm, heres another link that gives suggestions to upgrading.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/no-mans-sky-how-to-upgrade-a-biological-ship

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
that article is correct. you just pulse jump in space and eventually you'll get an alien anomaly, drop out, shoot space egg, get upgrade module, rinse and repeat

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think you still need another 3,200qs void egg to get another ship, tho :(

Also, I have a max slot S class
- Fighter
- Hauler
- Explorer
- Unique (Flying Wing)
- Squid Ship

I already had to trash my S class shuttle to use the extra slot for buying and scrapping ships, and now you're telling me I will have to fill my 7th slot with the living ship?!?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

blarzgh posted:

correct :\

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

OgNar posted:

According to this, you should have got it 2 days ago.

If you can check your version it should be 2.30

How about that. It did update. No notification or anything. Thanks! Now to grind for quicksilver. Ugh. Never bothered with it before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

blarzgh posted:

Also, I have a max slot S class
- Fighter
- Hauler
- Explorer
- Unique (Flying Wing)
- Squid Ship

I already had to trash my S class shuttle to use the extra slot for buying and scrapping ships, and now you're telling me I will have to fill my 7th slot with the living ship?!?
it's the space guillotine for you

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
This weekend event is worth 1,200 Quicksilver.

If you start today, you will get 750 for backlog missions, 1,200 today, and the whole grind will take a week or less.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

How hard are these missions to do solo? I haven't really touched the game since the first big overhaul broke my save wide open, but I'm back and want an egg ship.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Here's an earlier base of mine:

It's in a volcano tube thing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

How hard are these missions to do solo? I haven't really touched the game since the first big overhaul broke my save wide open, but I'm back and want an egg ship.

They're Easy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

VectorSigma posted:

Here's an earlier base of mine:

It's in a volcano tube thing.

I did something similar with one of those volcano tubes, but not nearly to that extent. Building inside the rock on those things was such a pain in the arse.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

They can be easy, or you can get hosed and transported to a planet that doesn't want to spawn what you need to collect. Or it's stuff like storm crystals, where you're on a timer to get them and if the storm ends before you can get enough, well gently caress you, now wait until the next storm comes.

If you have a string of bad luck, this can mean a couple hours for a couple hundred quicksilver

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Alright, silly newbie question: The OP talks about getting your first freighter for free by defeating pirates. How does this happen? Is it part of a quest? A random space encounter?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It'll happen once you've warped into new systems a few times, there'll be a pitched space battle happening right in front of your face and the freighter captain will radio you for help.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Party Boat posted:

It'll happen once you've warped into new systems a few times, there'll be a pitched space battle happening right in front of your face and the freighter captain will radio you for help.

Cool, thank you!

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
If you are trying to get mods for a living ship go to a system with no station in it. You wont get npc ship random encounters, so the pool of encounter types lowers and 90% will be either eggs or derelict freighters. Then put on some music and warp around a lot. Also helps to buy a shitton of gold/silver since the living ship pulse engine uses that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Somehow while grinding for quicksilver an activated void egg appeared in my son's inventory. Maybe because he's in creative? He warped maybe 20-30 times trying to get something to happen, unsuccessfuly. Nothing triggered.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Apparently some people have been giving them away in the nexus. I don’t think there is any way to get them outside of buying or getting one as a gift right now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Kadath posted:

Apparently some people have been giving them away in the nexus. I don’t think there is any way to get them outside of buying or getting one as a gift right now.

Khraze posted a vid stating he got one in a system, which is linked in the first comment.
Ive spent about an hour there so far and nothing yet. Both station and trading post.
Though I didn come across an exotic, but i've got like 3 of those already.
When you zone in there are a ton of comments stating that nothings there, but you know how people are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h-47x0XgSM

hmmm, wonder if its in experimental only

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there any way to purge the texture cache in-game? Sometimes after going to the Nexus my game starts using low res / lod textures for everything which I figure has to be me running out of vram. Leaving the Nexus and landing on planets doesn't do anything for the situation, I just have to quit and restart.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Tamagotchi, but it's spaceships

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo these void egg missions are a slog.

I'm not above resetting my system clock to skip the 24 hour waiting period between each step, and the first time I had to follow coordinates to find a location on a planet was least unique. But making me do it four effing times?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blarzgh posted:

Ship is only available by purchasing the egg with Quicksilver.

You can earn 250 qs/day, and more on weekends. Also I'm pretty sure If you start in the middle of the week, you can do the previous dailys for that week (start on Wednesday, you can do Mon, Tues, and We'd for 750 total). There's also some sort of weekly community bonus.

Should only be a week and a couple days of logging on; not that bad and really, it's sort of spoiled of us to complain about a minor gateway to some awesome free content, considering how much they've done over the last four years without charging us anything extra.

I cheat engined the Quicksilver and I adjusted the system clock so I didn’t have to wait the 24 hours in between steps. I regret nothing, the arbitrary time gating is dumb and I still had to do all the tedious find the coordinates and build the items steps.

I do love my gross, fleshy new ship though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I went to the final destination planet coordinates yesterday just to try to get the stupid egg to do something or mission to start. Didn't help. Only thing I regret is reading the messages people left.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

General_Failure posted:

I went to the final destination planet coordinates yesterday just to try to get the stupid egg to do something or mission to start. Didn't help. Only thing I regret is reading the messages people left.

When you jump into a system, are you pulse engining around or just expecting something to happen on jump? Typically what happens is you pulse engine in a direction for like 20-30 seconds and the living ship thing will do one of those “thing detected, drop out of pulse to look at it” deals and then the living ship will give you the next quest step. I never had to do more than one jump to get the next quest step.

If that’s not working maybe someone gave you a bugged egg or something.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

When you jump into a system, are you pulse engining around or just expecting something to happen on jump? Typically what happens is you pulse engine in a direction for like 20-30 seconds and the living ship thing will do one of those “thing detected, drop out of pulse to look at it” deals and then the living ship will give you the next quest step. I never had to do more than one jump to get the next quest step.

If that’s not working maybe someone gave you a bugged egg or something.

Besides the flyover systems with one crappy planet and nothing else, sure. Pulse engine between planets, stopping for traders and other things of interest along the way. Visiting things on planets etc. Definitely clocked up around 30 jumps trying. He's only 100QS off being able to buy an egg, so it should be interesting to see what happens.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Cool, thank you!

Something I learned after getting my first freighter apparently if you refuse it then 5 jumps later there will be another space battle and that will reward you with a much better freighter

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doingitwrong posted:

Something I learned after getting my first freighter apparently if you refuse it then 5 jumps later there will be another space battle and that will reward you with a much better freighter

They're actually random so it isn't guaranteed that it'll be better.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But if you make sure that you land in a rich system on those last jumps it ups your chance of getting a good one.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Doing the nexus quests me and a random dude both got stuck inside a wall while trying to kill horrors. Cool. But then someone just gave me a void egg back on the nexus so I guess its a wash.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The void egg mission finally triggered when buying an egg. Took long enough. Now to grind, grind, grind.

Is there an easier way to go to coordinates on a planet than doing a bunch of sub orbital flights in roughly the right direction? Any sane interface would allow a coordinate based custom marker.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The wiki claims the second encounter is always a capital ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

The wiki claims the second encounter is always a capital ship

I've heard this as well.

That said, there is a way to save scum for the best possible freighter, whether you do it for your first one, or do it later and buy it.

1) Freighter attacked by Pirates encounters occur
- After 3(?) in game hours of play
- After the 5th or 6th warp to a different system

2) The goal is to set the game conditions so as to trigger the next encounter upon your next warp.
- leave your game running for 3 hours, and do a couple jumps, and/or
- Just keep track while you're playing

3) Have a MANUAL save before the warp jump that triggers the encounter.
- Make sure you make a MANUAL SAVE on a planet before each warp.
- Just fly down to a planet, hop out, pop a save, hop back in, and warp.
- If the encounter doesn't trigger, land, save, warp, wash rinse repeat until the encounter pops.

Mechanics
* Each solar system has a designated freighter model. It will always be the same color, type and size, every time you warp in.
* There are two types of Capital Ships; "Sentinel" (Robocops) and The Star Destroyers.
* Each type of capital ship has 3 sizes, Small, Medium, and Large. You can def tell the difference.
* Although the model is always the same when your Freighter/Pirate encounter begins, it rolls for the class (C, B, A, S) and Slots. Random every time, and same chance to roll as spaceships (S = 1 or 2% chance).
* You cannot trigger this encounter by warping in with your Freighter, you must do it in a Starship.

4) Now you find the MODEL you want.
- Once you have a MANUAL save, you proc the encounter by warping to the next system. WRITE DOWN THE NAME OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM.
- You take one quick look at the Freighter, and if its not the MODEL you want, reload the MANUAL save.
- Check your list of solar systems, and warp to a different system; WRITE DOWN THE NAME OF THAT SYSTEM.
- Wash, Rinse, Repeat until you warp into a system that has the MODEL you want.

5) OPTIONAL - Save Scum until you get the Class you want,
- Since you so intelligently wrote down the name of the system that has the MODEL you want, you can now save scum that encounter over and over again until you get an S-Class.
- The Only real difference is the number of slots. S Class does have the highest warp distance, but its just not super relevant to the game. I mean, if I can jump 2,000ly, am I really annoyed I can't jump 2,100ly?
- Who am I kidding, MUST HAVE BEST EVERYTHING

Edit: The reason you must have a MANUAL save before the warp is because the game will create an autosave when you land in the Freighter's Hangar and get out to talk to the Captain. At that point, without a manual backup to return to, before the warp and battle, you're stuck with the ship you landed in, and, in particular, its Class and Slots.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 25, 2020