Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Veryslightlymad posted:

I count six teases of second round tag team head to heads. I think the only one that does is Finn/Juice. Look hard at that quadrant and convince me that has any ending other than Switchblade beating Juice because Finley betrays him and joins Bullet Club.

The tag division just got sorta interesting, why do you want to ruin that? Besides, Finlay and Juice have both said if they win they'll challenge for the tag belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rarity posted:

The tag division just got sorta interesting, why do you want to ruin that? Besides, Finlay and Juice have both said if they win they'll challenge for the tag belts.

-I- don't. I just don't think NJPW gives a drat about the tags.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's funny how lopsided the quadrants are. Lots of air and then the top right is loving Thunderdome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tonfa posted:

It's funny how lopsided the quadrants are. Lots of air and then the top right is loving Thunderdome.

It's a pretty clear sign the winner's coming from one of those 8. It makes sense that they want the winner to have a bunch of strong wins under their belt.

Sidenote: has their been a bigger hiring misfire in recent years than Mikey Nicholls? He's the only person I can think of who's come in and made zero impact.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 25, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Isn't Mikey also beat to poo poo from his NXT run?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mikey's best stuff is in tag teams, he's never been interesting as a singles guy

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I suspect Owens is gonna "upset" here. Yano's quadrant is weirdly too non-competitive enough for me to see much point in it. I could see them teasing it, only to have Chase win after Cabana does. Be real here: the only good looking finals in that quadrant is Ishii/Chase. Henare/Fale if they want to actually push Henare and show off his power. (a gauntlet of Ishii, either Cobb or Makabe and then Fale would definitely give him serious hoss bonafides.)

Counterpoint: Yano vs. Ishii is always great, and Henare would be a reasonable Ishii substitute.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Looking at the brackets has made me realize that after Shingo has a good run with the NEVER belt and we get all the various cuts of beef, I'd really like to see ZSJ have a run with it, as like, the platonic ideal of an openweight contender, having matches against all the best of both divisions and his opponents always being credible no matter the weight-class.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

It's a pretty clear sign the winner's coming from one of those 8. It makes sense that they want the winner to have a bunch of strong wins under their belt.

Sidenote: has their been a bigger hiring misfire in recent years than Mikey Nicholls? He's the only person I can think of who's come in and made zero impact.

I feel like they brought him on to be a jobber but I could be wrong. Debuting in the NJC and getting bounced out in round 2 is the exact opposite of what they do with guys they expect to be a big deal. Like, nothing wrong with losing to Okada but it's not the first thing they have you do if you're going to get pushed.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
He got brought in an everyone assumed his tag team partner was close behind him and TMDK would add some juice to the tag division. But then it never happened and Shane Haste is trapped in American prison.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I always thought NJPW jobbers were people they'd tried to push and who hadn't worked out like Yujiro or Goto

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey. Goto wins sometimes. Usually to set up him losing to the same guy later. :sigh:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

MJeff posted:

Hey. Goto wins sometimes. Usually to set up him losing to the same guy later. :sigh:

worth it

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Looking at the brackets has made me realize that after Shingo has a good run with the NEVER belt and we get all the various cuts of beef, I'd really like to see ZSJ have a run with it, as like, the platonic ideal of an openweight contender, having matches against all the best of both divisions and his opponents always being credible no matter the weight-class.

I'm not sure they'll go with a third dual champion after zack wins the us title from moxley, but that's the sort of bold booking I can get behind.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If it wasn't for the Ospreay/Shingo match seeming to be tailor made to set up William the Thrilliam challenging for the NEVER title, i'd say he's a shoe-in to win the whole thing. I suppose he could make the semis or finals and lose. My assumption since the rumours of the October London show started is they put the IC title on him there.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The winner of the New Japan Cup will be someone who has lost a special singles match at Wrestle Kingdom while the loser of the IWGP heavyweight championship match at Wrestle Kingdom will lose in the first round.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rarity posted:

I always thought NJPW jobbers were people they'd tried to push and who hadn't worked out like Yujiro or Goto

How dare you. Goto chokes often but he’s not close to being in the same league as Yujiro! :colbert:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Goto’s actually held a singles title in the last decade

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

coconono posted:

Goto’s actually held a singles title in the last decade

Yujiro was NEVER champion in 2014 :colbert:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rarity posted:

Yujiro was NEVER champion in 2014 :colbert:

I assumed "this decade" was referring to the 20s, which would be accurate. Goto has held a singles championship in this decade. People on the roster who have not:

EVIL
SANADA
Juice Robinson
Kota Ibushi
Minoru Suzuki
Taichi
Tomohiro Ishii
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Ryusuke Taguchi
Rocky Romero
Taiji Ishimori
SHO
YOH

And then I could just list all the jobbers and dads but I think you get the gist of the joke.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

SANADA's last singles championship was in the TNA X-Division

EVIL's last and only was 10 days as NEVER champ in 2016

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
A fitting belt for Sanada to have won.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Draxion posted:

SANADA's last singles championship was in the TNA X-Division

We still believe

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Hoping for Ibushi, and hoping he doesnt do the extremely dumb challenge for the IC title idea (as long as he wins)

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

hey, elgin isn't going to show back up for the G1 is he?

watching some old stuff, I can't stand his CAW moveset and stupid face

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

here comes the spunk posted:

hey, elgin isn't going to show back up for the G1 is he?

Unlikely. Unfortunately he's still doing work in Japan doing stuff for Big Japan and NOAH, other companies I actually like

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm thinking we get an EVIL/Shingo bracket final and EVIL vs Jay White in the final with EVIL winning cause well...EVERYTHING IS EVIL

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
This would be my first New Japan Cup to follow and I'm getting real hyped by everyone's predictions!

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
I really don't want to see an White/SANADA final, that match was boring as sin at New Beginning. Unfortunately the internet has led me to believe that this is the final (with the semis and finals taking place in SANADA's home town, the Gedo special redemption, the LIJ match being a hit at Sega Genesis...).

Other than that, some really good stuff in these brackets! Henare/Ishii and Kojima/EVIL bring the beef (give me a Kojima miracle run Harold you coward), Ospreay/Shingo will be great, Nagata/Suzuki will possibly be the MOTT and young lions are getting some shine! Really interested in Juice/Coughlin especially.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Coughlin looks like a fusion of Davey Richards & Krispen Wah.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

BTF posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Coughlin looks like a fusion of Davey Richards & Krispen Wah.

My friend and I have been calling him Fergal Richards, because we were thinking Davey+Finn Balor.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1232644326540247041

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Well drat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Noooooooo :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress :negative:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
drat that is a bummer. Curse this virus.

Hope it doesn't last much longer than this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Figured it was possible once the IOC member said the Olympics were in jeopardy

Stay safe and healthy, everyone

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris James 2 posted:

Figured it was possible once the IOC member said the Olympics were in jeopardy

Stay safe and healthy, everyone

Losing the Olympics would be heart breaking. Some of these athletes have such a tiny opportunity window. All the logistics involved with the Olympics means that it really is a possibility if this continues for any real period. Safety has to come first but it would suck

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ok, now I'm taking this stupid virus seriously. This blows.

New Japan Cup, hosed. Presumably Big Japan Strong Climb, hosed. April's Champion Carnival has to be in question too I'd imagine.

I'm going to be so desperate for wrestling I'm going to end up watching AEW or something.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

gently caress. Well, safety and health are of course of utmost importance, so what can ya do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

forkboy84 posted:

Ok, now I'm taking this stupid virus seriously. This blows.

New Japan Cup, hosed. Presumably Big Japan Strong Climb, hosed. April's Champion Carnival has to be in question too I'd imagine.

I'm going to be so desperate for wrestling I'm going to end up watching AEW or something.

Lol at just now taking it seriously.