Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for kicking out my 20 year old daughter and not my 22 year old son?

So I was trying to finish some of my chores and I heard some screaming in my sons room. I ran into the room seeing my daughter trashing and breaking my sons room because she did not like how my son is not allowing her to use and break his things. I saw that and was mad because this was not the only time my daughter did that and it was the 6th time. I was done with her behavior and I told her I am tired of her not respecting other people's property in the house which was a rule set in kindergarten.

I told her that I am kicking her and she has a month to pack her stuff and find a place. She asked why can't I kick out my older son and not her. I told her that my older son never broke or screamed like a five year old and that he pays rent, helps with bills and follows the rules we set for him. She was threw a fit of rage and left and pack her stuff and went to a friends house. Her friends mom came in and asked me to reconsider my stance and allow her back in and I refused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my fiancé he's pretentious because he won't eat leftovers?

My fiancé has several food issues, but this one really gets to me. Today I was making his lunch, which was a frozen portion of a meal we had last month that was just killer. I knew he doesn't like reheated meals, but I was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone: make his meal and have some for myself too 😂

I was trying to get it all packed up before he saw me but he walked by when I was doing it and gave his look of disgust (one of the other things that drives me nuts). He says he has "never eaten a frozen meal in his life" (despite eating tons of prepackaged frozen junk) to which I said that's a little pretentious of him; it's like he's "too good" to eat leftovers.

I grew up eating leftovers (my mom made dinner from scratch at least 5 days a wk) and think some foods are particularly good when reheated. It also makes meal prep for work lunches super simple.

AITA or is he?

Edit1: I did ask him prior to taking it out of the freezer if he wanted it, to which he replied "probably, I'll think about it." So I made it for him anyways because 1) he constantly complains about having to eat out when he doesn't have something from home and 2) because i was getting some for myself for lunch. I hurried when he came up because I didn't want to "remind" him it was frozen and listen to him complain.

Edit2: I also told him if he wasn't going to eat it, not to take it to work and just throw it away. Just leave it for me and I'll eat it.

Edit3: He has no medical conditions that would cause this. Other bothersome behaviors he has include:

making faces of disgust & judgemental comments about the foods I eat which most people would consider normal (like seafood or cottage cheese for ex) WHILE I'm eating them and he does NOT have to eat them

needing meats cooked to the point they are dry because he is constantly worried they are undercooked, even when I've ensured they are by taking the temperature

refusing to eat foods from other cultures

will mostly eat only fried, prepackaged, dry things (think bread, pizza, chips, etc)

doesn't like sauces, marinades, dressings, etc

UPDATE: I have never heard about ARFID, but I am going to look into it to see if it could be applicable. Thanks for the comments!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rabble posted:

There’s got to be more to this story about how the state determined that the sister is a better fit for the child than the grandparents.

My primary concern is if they cut contact for the good of the kid, you just know those grandparents are going to sue for custody, or at a minimum, "grandparents rights."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

UPDATE: I have never heard about ARFID, but I am going to look into it to see if it could be applicable. Thanks for the comments!

Oh what in the hell is this bullshit?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Oh what in the hell is this bullshit?

Sounds like, "I can't eat it if it's not nummy" syndrome.

I'm sure arfid sufferers will correct me with both feet.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So I was trying to finish some of my chores and I heard some screaming in my sons room. I ran into the room seeing my daughter trashing and breaking my sons room because she did not like how my son is not allowing her to use and break his things. I saw that and was mad because this was not the only time my daughter did that and it was the 6th time. I was done with her behavior and I told her I am tired of her not respecting other people's property in the house which was a rule set in kindergarten.

I told her that I am kicking her and she has a month to pack her stuff and find a place. She asked why can't I kick out my older son and not her. I told her that my older son never broke or screamed like a five year old and that he pays rent, helps with bills and follows the rules we set for him. She was threw a fit of rage and left and pack her stuff and went to a friends house. Her friends mom came in and asked me to reconsider my stance and allow her back in and I refused.
There is a lot missing from this story.

Why is a 20 year old woman in her 22 year old brother's room trashing his stuff? What in the entire gently caress?

Why is the friend's mom asking the OP to reconsider? Maybe she doesn't want the daughter staying with her because of the daughter's behavior :v:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've never really heard of ARFID being as a stand alone, at least not by people who weren't obviously milking it to be picky. My son has some of the issues, but he's also autistic, and that's a common disorder to have those issues crop up. OCD is another one, and other anxiety disorders.

Girl's boyfriend just sounds like a picky asshat.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

It's a new diagnosis in the DSM 5; I don't know that much about it beyond what's in the literature. Here's a link.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for winning a cosplay contest with the help of fake boobs?

I (22f) am a cosplayer. I dress up for fun as anime characters and I've been doing that for five years now. I'm not a pro or anything, but I've learned how to sew, make foam armor, that sort of stuff, I'm sorta competent at it right now.

A local anime convention near my town was having a cosplay contest. All you had to do was have your pic taken during the event and sent before their deadline and people would vote on them on Facebook. It was sort of informal and the prize was only a few gift cards so it wasn't a big deal. I don't have much of an online presence so I didn't think I would have a chance, but I decided to give it a shot anyway since I've been building a certain armor for a while and I thought it looked good. Without getting into the details, it's a warrior that happens to have an ample cleavage window. (yeah, I know, but I still love her)

After voting had started, I was surprised at the positive feedback I was receiving. Some comments said I looked fierce, my wig was fantastic, my armor looked real, etc. A few of the comments also pointed out how I was "really doing the character justice" because of the size of my breasts, some more crudely worded than others. I left a like on all the replies since any praise was good. The only issue is: I'm flat as a board.

Underneath my armor, I was wearing what is quite literally a breastplate made out of silicon that gives me (in the words of a friend) some serious boobage. The armor had a neckpiece and shoulderpads, so the seams were perfectly hidden. Since the character's cleavage is sorta diamond-shaped, there's even underboob on display so it doesn't look like I'm just padding out a bra, it looks like the real deal.

A week goes by and I get a notification on facebook. Apparently I won the contest. I was ecstatic, it was the first time my "work" had been recognized like that. I messaged some friends, they were all happy for me. I was reading the comments and one of them stuck out, saying he wasn't surprised I had won considering my body. So I decided to be snarky and reply with "Well, if all that's needed to win a contest are boobs, here's where I bought mine!" and linked the silicon breasts I was using.

And apparently that was a mistake, since I got a few rude comments on that reply, some saying I was fooling people, some a bit more nasty saying I was just using a fake body just to get ahead of "real cosplayers". A few people even left mean comments on my facebook and instagram for that. I took a break from social media because they were being a pain in the rear end.

I told friends about what happened and some of them said I might have been the rear end in a top hat for being snarky like that and I should have just accepted the prize and moved on, but I feel like this situation has escalated way too far. It even soured my mood towards that specific cosplay even though it's probably my best work so far. AITA?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

LOL

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

GORDON posted:

Sounds like, "I can't eat it if it's not nummy" syndrome.

Worked in pediatric feeding during one of my graduate internships. Basically its picky eating on steroids - if it isn't one of a very restricted handful of foods, they simply won't eat. You'll have kids that are severely underweight or severely malnourished (or both!), and often have a host of gastrointestinal issues. You might get extreme behavior just from offering the other food - tantrums, aggression, panic attacks, vomiting, etc. (Fun fact: You can learn to vomit operantly, at will, fairly easily.) And yes, typically the accepted foods are very 'nummy' stuff - M&Ms, potato chips, chicken nuggets, etc. But not always - I had one client that only accepted cherry tomatoes and grapes.

Good news is that its very responsive to basic, simple interventions, with a little patience. Which means there is no loving excuse for adults to have it - just :therapy:

Savage Love isn't cheating, is it? Its actually very common in Europe.

Spouse's Hairiness Averts Virile Erection

quote:

Married 40-year-old gay guy here. I hate beards—the look, the feel, the smell—and I miss the good old days when the only beards gay dudes had were metaphorical. When I got back from a long business trip, my hot, sexy, previously smooth husband of many years was sporting a beard. Unsurprisingly, I hate it and find it to be a complete turnoff. However, he says this is controlling behavior on my part, it's his body and his choice, and he's hurt that I'm rejecting him. He also says I'll get used to it and he doesn't plan to keep it forever. I agree that it's his body and his choice, but I think he should still take me into consideration, and that it's actually him who's rejecting me, by choosing the beard over me. What's your take?

Scared But Horny

quote:

I've been seeing a guy for two years. It was a FWB situation from the start, because he already had a girlfriend. I adore him, we quickly broke the rules (L-word spoken on both sides), but the B part has dwindled to nothing. We haven't had PIV sex since September, and he just added a second FWB to the mix. He swears he's attracted to me and says we aren't having sex—with the exception of me blowing him from time to time—because he's older. But I know for a fact the other two women are getting some. He says he's attracted to me—so why doesn't he want sex? How do I make him see how much I need him without issuing ultimatums?

Possibly Odd Or Perhaps Curious Orgasm Mostly Enjoyed Regularly

quote:

Straight female with a question. I've never really told anyone about this because it's so weird and gross. It involves my bowel movements, so it's not very sexy. (No offense to scat lovers.) After I have a normal bowel movement, I pull up my jeans. When I do that, the crotch seam presses on my clit as I begin to close the zipper, and I get what I can only describe as an intense mini-orgasm. This is directly related to the recent BM because it happens only after one. I find myself just standing there in the bathroom, holding my pants up with my hands frozen on the zipper, eyes half closed, while my clit just hammers out an unsolicited series of intense orgasmic spasms. It's not a full-on climax, rather a dozen or so fluttering contractions of pleasure in my clit/pussy area. I find myself enjoying these post-poop-gasms, although it's something I've kept to myself for obvious reasons. I am not complaining. I am merely curious to know if you've ever heard of this and if you know why and how it happens. Do other people have similar experiences?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've never really heard of ARFID being as a stand alone, at least not by people who weren't obviously milking it to be picky. My son has some of the issues, but he's also autistic, and that's a common disorder to have those issues crop up. OCD is another one, and other anxiety disorders.

Girl's boyfriend just sounds like a picky asshat.
I mean even with texture and taste sensitivities it's helpful to expand what you can eat, even if maybe that's best with the help of a therapist sometimes and not just people trying and failing to be helpful. If things get severe enough it can fall under being some sort of eating disorder, I think. Girl's boyfriend sounds like he could have some sort of anxiety issues linked with food, but if he's not willing to get help with them then that's that, he can't expect everyone else to just take his weird issues as Food Law.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The correct choice for veganhost is to stop serving meat altogether. Eating a vegetable for one meal won't kill these people.

Wtf is up with pickydude? Leftovers are delicious!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Smirking_Serpent posted:

"Well, if all that's needed to win a contest are boobs, here's where I bought mine!" and linked the silicon breasts I was using.

*clutches pearls*

It's really a shame whats happened to the ancient and noble art of dressing up like magical japanese teenagers

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Gonna go with intuition based on OP’s stupid telling of the story and say everyone is awful. Kick the daughter out. Kick the son out. Kick the OP out. Give the home to a nicer family of people or possums or chipmunks or whatever.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The_Continental posted:

*clutches pearls*

It's really a shame whats happened to the ancient and noble art of dressing up like magical japanese teenagers

I mean, it's a costume contest. Having the boobs be costume as well makes her even more deserving of the win.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My anxiety and food allergies (and other issues piling on) combine into some strong pickiness, but I can guarantee that anything I willingly eat once will be willingly eaten reheated or cold.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a dude that does a real good Mai Shiranui with fake as gently caress boobs and he loves catfishing con nerds who creep for pictures by pulling out snacks or props from them

Cosplay girl should have held off until after accepting the prize.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my girlfriend to stop eating with her hands in front of my parents?

My girlfriend eats with her hands and never uses cutlery. Doesn’t matter if it’s rice, chicken, pasta, etc. It took me a while to get used to this but I’ve come to understand that this is normal in her culture(s) so I accepted it. I don’t judge her for it either. When we go to restaurants she uses cutlery but sometime she’ll forget and use her hands. It’s not a big deal.

My parents wanted to meet her so we arranged a dinner. For the record, my parents are extremely hard to please and never liked any of my previous girlfriends. Unfortunately they can be very snobby and look down on people who are different and not as privileged. They’re constantly trying to set me up with girls who they believe are in my ‘league’.

Before the dinner I told my gf that she should only use her hands when eating finger foods and cutlery with the rest. I reminded her several times that she should not start eating normal foods with her hands, licking her fingers etc. She promised she wouldn’t do that but admitted that she’s very nervous about meeting my parents.

So we were all eating at the table and surprisingly my parents actually seemed to like her. Things were going well but then she gradually stopped using a fork/knife. She was using her hands to eat everything that was on her plate. At one point she reached over and grabbed some vegetables and put them straight into her mouth. My parents had the biggest WTF look on their face and kept glancing at each other. I was staring at my gf, trying to give subtle hints, but she was completely oblivious. She actually said “gently caress, this is nice” and continued talking about her pet.

Afterwards I told her that her behavior was unacceptable and that I wanted her to give off a good impression which she didn’t. She got really upset and accused me of being ‘mean’ and ‘heartless’. She actually spoke with her friends about it and they all agreed that I’m a xenophobic, judgmental rear end in a top hat who doesn’t care about her feelings. In fact I was called a “typical white male” and a “racist rear end in a top hat”. Personally, I don’t mind if she eats with her hands but I think if others are around she should adjust her attitude a little bit. AITA?

TL;DR Gf ate with her hands in front of my snobby parents. I told her that it was unacceptable and now she’s really upset. She and her thinks think I’m TA.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean, it's a costume contest. Having the boobs be costume as well makes her even more deserving of the win.

You don’t get it. Think of all the erections she created that she does not have the breast size to deserve to create. Think of the poor weeaboo boys who have been violated by this deception in their wanking over a girl dressed like a 5000 year old dragon in the body of a 10 year old girl. They are basically the victims of sexual assault.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

making faces of disgust & judgemental comments about the foods I eat which most people would consider normal (like seafood or cottage cheese for ex) WHILE I'm eating them and he does NOT have to eat them

needing meats cooked to the point they are dry because he is constantly worried they are undercooked, even when I've ensured they are by taking the temperature

refusing to eat foods from other cultures

will mostly eat only fried, prepackaged, dry things (think bread, pizza, chips, etc)

doesn't like sauces, marinades, dressings, etc

Yet another shocking case of food aversion where the picky eater will only eat basically pizza and french fries.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Even in Ethiopian cuisine you use the bread to pick up your food so Im really loving struggling at a culture that exists with electricity that also eats loving rice with their bare hands

Is she a wild brown bear? What is happening

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend to stop eating with her hands in front of my parents?
Afterwards I told her that her behavior was unacceptable and that I wanted her to give off a good impression which she didn’t. She got really upset and accused me of being ‘mean’ and ‘heartless’. She actually spoke with her friends about it and they all agreed that I’m a xenophobic, judgmental rear end in a top hat who doesn’t care about her feelings. In fact I was called a “typical white male” and a “racist rear end in a top hat”. Personally, I don’t mind if she eats with her hands but I think if others are around she should adjust her attitude a little bit. AITA?

TL;DR Gf ate with her hands in front of my snobby parents. I told her that it was unacceptable and now she’s really upset. She and her thinks think I’m TA.
:psyduck:

I genuinely would like to know both where this is and where GF is from?

This is really strange behavior, if you're eating cuisine that is culturally eaten with utensils... use those utensils? If you're eating food that is culturally eaten with hands... use hands? Refusal to use fork/knife/spoon seems like going to East Asia and refusing to use chopsticks.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 26, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Barudak posted:

Even in Ethiopian cuisine you use the bread to pick up your food so Im really loving struggling at a culture that exists with electricity that also eats loving rice with their bare hands

Is she a wild brown bear? What is happening
Some foods just don't do well bear-handed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

For shame! Is this what cosplay has come to--using prosthetic pieces to make yourself look like someone different?! There's no room for your underhanded disguises in the world of costuming!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Girlfriend is a bear wearing a blond wig with curls and a sunhat. <angry whispers as she slams her face into the cranberry bowl> "Honey, you are embearassing me!" <studio audience howls with laughter>

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for taking my mum's side during an argument instead of my boyfriend?
We are both men-both 29M.

My boyfriend's coming out was traumatic, his family don't speak to him except for his siblings who eventually came around. I feel like this has coloured a lot of his interactions with my mum.

My parents on the other hand were progressive for their times and I have always had a really good relationship with them. There wasn't one hint of disappointment or anything, both of them hugged me and told me it changed nothing. My mum, when she found out I was being bullied for being gay at school and the principal did nothing, charged into my local MP's office and made him talk to my school principal.

My boyfriend thinks that I let my mum get away with too much just because she was supportive of me coming out.

My mum still treats me like a kid sometimes- she's 5'2 and I'm 6" so we have a rule that if she wants to ruffle my hair, I have bend down and let her. She also pinches my cheeks, demands hugs and kisses my cheeks and I just go along with it.

All of this weirds out my boyfriend but I feel like it's no big deal since I own my home, cook, clean, have a job and adult on my own. I'm not one of those kids whose mum still buys their clothes or makes them food. Obviously to some extent, I'm still going to be a kid to my mum but as long as she's not overly involved or treating me like a baby, it's fine.

A few days ago, we had dinner at my parents house (we usually do this around once a month) and my mum was telling me about some puppies that were looking for homes. My mum loves dogs and so do I but I didn't feel like my lifestyle is very dog friendly right now.

But my mum was just joking showing me and my boyfriend photos and videos of the puppies like "are you sure you don't want one, look at how cute they are" etc. and they were pretty cute. But I told my mum we wanted to do more travelling and she said "yes do all the travelling now while your joints work!".

But my boyfriend mentioned that we wanted a big dog, not a small one and my mum jokingly said that we weren't doing the gay thing right because of the stereotype that gay men like small dogs.

I was joking back saying "oh yeah, you are such an expert on gay men ma!" when my boyfriend interjects saying she was being offensive with her stereotypes. She looked very taken aback and apologized but it soured the mood at dinner. I then turned to my boyfriend and told him to take it easy, she was just joking.

He went silent and didn't speak for the rest of dinner. My mum tried to hug him like usual as we were leaving but he wasn't having it. We then got into an argument on the way home around me not "checking my mum's homophobic behavior" and not having his back and I personally thought he was being disrespectful and too sensitive towards my mum.

He's now angry at me for not having his side but I feel like he completely over-reacted to a joke and he had no business scolding my mum either, it sometimes feels like he's just looking for proof she's a bad mum just because his parents cut him out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I want to be reasonable and think of all those cultures that have hand-eating as the norm.

But we know that's not it. He'd inadvertently done a sex-flipped version of 'my bf doesn't wash his rear end' and has picked up some mongrel he thinks the world of since she puts out.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

That said if she's eating foods that can be reasonable eaten by hand by hand I don't give a gently caress, it's not a big deal. It's the spaghetti that made me pause.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So we were all eating at the table and surprisingly my parents actually seemed to like her. Things were going well but then she gradually stopped using a fork/knife. She was using her hands to eat everything that was on her plate. At one point she reached over and grabbed some vegetables and put them straight into her mouth. My parents had the biggest WTF look on their face and kept glancing at each other. I was staring at my gf, trying to give subtle hints, but she was completely oblivious. She actually said “gently caress, this is nice” and continued talking about her pet.

No table manners, use of profanity while meeting parents, and rambling about her cat. This girl seems like a real keeper. I've lived in places where you eat with your hands, and people switch it up and use spoons/forks/knives when it suits the meal. This girl is just a grub or purposefully trying to create friction.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Imagining someone eating rice and pasta by hand is making me seriously uncomfortable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly if this is the caliber of person he brings home I think OP's parents are right to look down on his choices

Edit: Its the rice that is destroying me as it is a foodstuff that might have the single most variations in tools used to deliver it to your mouth since using your hand is absolutely garbage at it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really want it to have a twist ending where she's correctly sensed the spiteful judginess of the parents and is just loving with everyone.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not mentioning my girlfriend in my PhD thesis?

I recently completed my PhD in GR, and it is common to have a section at the start of the thesis acknowledging your advisor, parents, siblings, etc. Some people also mention their partner or kids.

Last week my girlfriend was looking through my website and opened a pdf containing my thesis, and she noticed that I didn't mention her at the start. She got quite upset about it and asked me why, but I didn't have a particular reason. We have just been together for around 8 months and it didn't really cross my mind to include her.

This obviously shouldn't be a big issue but for the past week she has been acting a bit standoffish around me. In hindsight I probably should've included her since it takes no effort on my part, but is it really that big of a deal?

Two other details I forgot to mention: in the acknowledgments I mentioned another female friend of mine due to her help throughout the years (met her during part III). Also, while we have only been dating for 8 months, we've known each other for just over a year. Not sure if this changes anything though.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
My Indian neighbours/old coworkers eat rice with their hands, it is sticky enough to not be an issue when they invite me over to do the same. Idk about pasta. Bf is an rear end

ANUSTART fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 26, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not mentioning my girlfriend in my PhD thesis?

I recently completed my PhD in GR, and it is common to have a section at the start of the thesis acknowledging your advisor, parents, siblings, etc. Some people also mention their partner or kids.

Last week my girlfriend was looking through my website and opened a pdf containing my thesis, and she noticed that I didn't mention her at the start. She got quite upset about it and asked me why, but I didn't have a particular reason. We have just been together for around 8 months and it didn't really cross my mind to include her.

This obviously shouldn't be a big issue but for the past week she has been acting a bit standoffish around me. In hindsight I probably should've included her since it takes no effort on my part, but is it really that big of a deal?

Two other details I forgot to mention: in the acknowledgments I mentioned another female friend of mine due to her help throughout the years (met her during part III). Also, while we have only been dating for 8 months, we've known each other for just over a year. Not sure if this changes anything though.

Two other details I forgot to mention: the first reason she’s upset with me. Also, the second reason. Not sure if this changes anything though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Might not be an rear end in a top hat but he's certainly a dumbass.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The correct choice for veganhost is to stop serving meat altogether. Eating a vegetable for one meal won't kill these people.
That's another option that would be fine. The status quo is fine. Allowing people to be picky but not letting them use your "vegan" plates to do so is... fine. NTA at all, just not ecologically friendly, and it's something the host should explore if they're doing it for philosophical reasons or if it just feels gross but they can get over it (for the sake of being more hospitable or ecological).

But if they ultimately decide to only serve vegan food there's nothing hypocritical or exclusionary about letting people bring their own food and offering them temporary plates with which to eat it. Their guests are self-excluding from the vegan meal and plates and the host is accommodating that while maintaining the utensil purity that is important to them for whatever reason. IMO the actual reason isn't very important as long as it's not to specifically demean or exclude people.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Barudak posted:

pretty sure it wasn't until the korean/vietnam war era that cutlery became the default in most of India. there are still plenty of places where hand eating is used, even if just during cultural ceremony or traditional meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for making a group text called "the click" (pun on clique) including coworkers?

I work at a techie kind of company. I'm pretty new here, I just switched jobs recently. But I knew a few people here before I started, there's a relatively small tech scene in my city and I'm pretty socially active

I made a group text on Facebook messenger that started out being just me and five work friends, I called it "the click", a pun on "clique" but it was not cliquey at all, I told them all to feel free to add anyone who is into going out for nerdy stuff (tabletop game nights, pub quizzes, movies, just hanging out, going to local events)

So the group grew, everyone in it is welcome to add more friends. It's at like 50 people now and it's just a place to share events and coordinate going out or meeting up. A couple people found people to start a dnd campaign with, in the group. It's pretty sweet because we do a night out or two a week and everyone who comes out sometimes has made a bunch of new friends. It's been super drama free.

It's now only about 1/3 people from my workplace, with the rest being people from other techie companies nearby, and friends, boyfriends and girlfriends of ours who are into geeky stuff.

A bunch of my coworkers don't have an interest in going out after work or being in a group text, and that's OK.

But I guess between the group of us that does go out, saying "the click is going to happy hour" or "let's get the click together for tabletop gaming" or whatever has become a common phrase.

In the group, we've also used the "nickname" feature of Facebook messenger to give each other funny nicknames, often based on jokes that come up when we're drinking together. Mine right now is "princess motherfucker" because of my unexpected potty mouth when I drink.

And I got brought to HR over this, saying they'd gotten a complaint that I had started "a clique" that's exclusionary, and that involved about a third of my team at the office, plus some people from other teams.

I said that the group was called "Click" like what you do with a computer and that I would never exclude anyone, the name was a joke, and if whoever had complained had just asked me if I could add them, I'd have been happy to.

The rep asked me to rename the group and also warned me about exclusionary actions at work, and I said OK and gave the group another name, "sudo apt-get install friendship" which is more of a mouthful lol.

I feel weird that someone reported feeling excluded when I didn't mean that at all. I've felt like the group was the opposite, open and welcoming to anyone.

AITA for the group I made?