Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dublish posted:

It's a good buy, especially if you don't already have Commander: The Great War. Watching various YouTube single and multiplayer campaigns makes me think it needs a tutorial for certain mechanics though, because most people don't seem to read the manual.

YouTubers/streamers are notoriously bad at learning games. I think it's because of the distraction that comes with having to talk while playing. Also reading documentation does not contribute to their bottom line, since that is time they could spend making money on camera by just playing the game. So I don't know if they're representative of the average player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

That is the definition of a grog game: you need to read a manual, and not a 3-page one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dilkington posted:

Big Slitherine sale on steam- I'm buying either Gary Grigsby's War In the East or War In the West.

I lean towards WITE because of the setting and mod support, but I'm curious about WITW's changes to the gameplay- I was wondering if anyone had recommendations.

Thanks for the hot tip - I ended up getting the Strategic Command collection, Victory and Glory: Napoleon, To End All Wars, and Disco Elysium

I would say get WITE: I have a lot of issues with how it's designed, but it's far more playable than WITW, and the scale of the WITx games lends it to better perform with a big wide front like the East.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Disco Elysium is excellent, and though it’s not very grognardy it does have a grognard in it so it sort of counts.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for the hot tip - I ended up getting the Strategic Command collection, Victory and Glory: Napoleon, To End All Wars, and Disco Elysium

I would say get WITE: I have a lot of issues with how it's designed, but it's far more playable than WITW, and the scale of the WITx games lends it to better perform with a big wide front like the East.

If you have any strong impressions on napoleon after a bit feel free to share. I've been teetering on the brink of buying it for like two years :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VostokProgram posted:

YouTubers/streamers are notoriously bad at learning games. I think it's because of the distraction that comes with having to talk while playing. Also reading documentation does not contribute to their bottom line, since that is time they could spend making money on camera by just playing the game. So I don't know if they're representative of the average player.

Yeah the youtuber content mill pipeline doesn't really lead to interesting looks at in-depth games, but it's always been the case no matter the review media- there was a time when mainstream game reviewers did grog games and they would give a 77-85/100 after flipping through the interface and being bewildered for an hour, while the writing would be nothing but cliches about how challenging the AI is and how much there is to learn.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Should I get TOAW4 for the price in the current sale? I haven't played any in the series before, but I like the idea of a game with a wide variety of scenarios over a wide variety of theaters/wars/eras. It's one of the things I like best about games like Command.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

Yeah the youtuber content mill pipeline doesn't really lead to interesting looks at in-depth games, but it's always been the case no matter the review media- there was a time when mainstream game reviewers did grog games and they would give a 77-85/100 after flipping through the interface and being bewildered for an hour, while the writing would be nothing but cliches about how challenging the AI is and how much there is to learn.

Any grognard games that do get reviewed still do that even today.

Drone posted:

Should I get TOAW4 for the price in the current sale? I haven't played any in the series before, but I like the idea of a game with a wide variety of scenarios over a wide variety of theaters/wars/eras. It's one of the things I like best about games like Command.

Matrix doesn't sell any of the earlier TOAWs anymore (I have a very specific pet peeve about this) so you kinda have to if you're at all interested in the series.

Personally, I like it. Its weaknesses are:

* scenarios that don't really understand the system and either make Corps/Army-level engagements or platoon/squad-level engagements where the system breaks down
* scenarios that do stick to the ideal scale but make the map way too big, such as the entire East Front at a battalion scale, which is just incredibly tedious
* scenarios that don't have an AI, for a number of reasons

Otherwise, TOAW 4 is about the best in the series so far, and they've worked out most of the UI hitches so that play is a lot more natural and intuitive and you can focus on actually fighting the battle.

I already did a tutorial for it, but I can effort-post on it more if people are interested.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Panzeh posted:

As someone who's on,y jsut gotten onto the influencer treadmill, a lot of it comes down to time, you normally get the game at most a week before release, and the pressures there to get the content out NOW - as its being put towards a media buildup - so they want you and everyone else on their list churning out content now. So you go in blind. its not terrible, but for a new game its often a trade between keeping people happy and looking good.

The other end of the scale is for "popular" games, where people are willing to do explanations and more in depth runs when they know that people will be interested.

I like playing blind, and mainly do the videos for fun and a little bit of spending money (even with the patreon I make £30-40 a month. its enough for a game or to take the wife for a meal out, but not going to let me go pro.)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grey Hunter posted:

As someone who's on,y jsut gotten onto the influencer treadmill, a lot of it comes down to time, you normally get the game at most a week before release, and the pressures there to get the content out NOW - as its being put towards a media buildup - so they want you and everyone else on their list churning out content now. So you go in blind. its not terrible, but for a new game its often a trade between keeping people happy and looking good.

The other end of the scale is for "popular" games, where people are willing to do explanations and more in depth runs when they know that people will be interested.

I like playing blind, and mainly do the videos for fun and a little bit of spending money (even with the patreon I make £30-40 a month. its enough for a game or to take the wife for a meal out, but not going to let me go pro.)

Oh, i'm not here to diss you at all. I think you do good stuff, but there's definitely some limitations in the medium.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any grognard games that do get reviewed still do that even today.

Matrix doesn't sell any of the earlier TOAWs anymore (I have a very specific pet peeve about this) so you kinda have to if you're at all interested in the series.

Personally, I like it. Its weaknesses are:

* scenarios that don't really understand the system and either make Corps/Army-level engagements or platoon/squad-level engagements where the system breaks down
* scenarios that do stick to the ideal scale but make the map way too big, such as the entire East Front at a battalion scale, which is just incredibly tedious
* scenarios that don't have an AI, for a number of reasons

Otherwise, TOAW 4 is about the best in the series so far, and they've worked out most of the UI hitches so that play is a lot more natural and intuitive and you can focus on actually fighting the battle.

I already did a tutorial for it, but I can effort-post on it more if people are interested.

Once I got past the initial WTF hump (thanks quite helpfully to Gradenkos guide) I find the game enjoyable. I wish the scenarios were ranked or sorted by quality. I played one D-Day scenario that was really well done, then tried another one that was really lovely. There are 6 D-Day scenarios in the West Front folder, I don't recall the crappy one and for that matter can't seem to find the one I liked.

So I guess post your good TOAW scenarios?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Resident TOAW expert here

It sucks, but when it works it works very, very well and is fun. I prefer the scenarios that have lots of events written in so you can get surprised (like if North Korea takes Seoul in a 2005 campaign, their morale actually drops when they see the standard of living)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Oh, i'm not here to diss you at all. I think you do good stuff, but there's definitely some limitations in the medium.

I didn't think you were having a go, just pointing out some content is time sensitive.

I agree that new games are harder to showcase properly, as no one has any experience.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I think you'll find that actually, new things are bad, and everything was better when I was a lad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TOAW 4 scenarios you should check out, varying in quality from "good" to "playable":

* Dien Bien Phu 54 - play this as the Viet Minh

* Kashmir 99 - play this as the Pakistanis

* Desert Storm 91 - this can be a bear because of its size, but can be a good lesson in learning to control a large scenario while the enemy is not too challenging

* Israel 48 - this is difficult from the perspective of the Arab Alliance, but can be satisfying if you pull it off

* Cuba 62 - good scenario to learn about doing amphibious invasions, and the size isn't too bad

* Fulda 55 - just a good scenario in general from either side. The 1976 version isn't as good because of all the air power

* Brusilov 1916 - in general TOAW isn't great at WWI because of the lack of fast movement, but this is okay because the East Front isn't as heavily fortified

* Kharkov 42 - play this as the Soviets and it's a challenging scenario to get a win on, but even getting a draw is an accomplishment given the historical result

* Barbarossa 41 - this probably represents the limits of what TOAW can do with a "big" scenario. Anything larger is going to drown you in units, anything with a larger unit scale doesn't handle the combat as well, and scenarios that try to represent the whole war from 1941 to 1945 (and ditto similar setups for WWI) need far too many scripted events to represent changes in the political situation

* the "Road to Moscow" series - the unit counts on these can feel a little low, and the turn limits are harsh, but they're good scenarios

* Typhoon 41 - another straight good scenario with the right size and scale

* France 40 - another "big" scenario

* Operation Overlord 1944 - in general I don't like many of the West Front scenarios because the scale always feels off, and this is the best one I've played so far

This isn't meant to be an exhaustive list - I've not played many of North Africa/Mediterranean scenarios.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gradenko_2000 posted:

TOAW 4 scenarios you should check out, varying in quality from "good" to "playable":

I like the Ia Drang scenario even if I suck at it. Also the invasion of Greece one

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah thanks y'all.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

For anyone curious here's the summer half of my DC:B game against BBJoey, 22 Jun - 30 Sep. (Boxed to avoid mega gif embedding).

code:
https://i.imgur.com/gbT9iQY.mp4
He's done a superb job frustrating my advances and avoiding encirclements and as you can see the second half has become an absolutely horrific grind with some mega casualties for us both. The only question at this point is which army dissolves first.

Also the average tanks-per-Panzerdivision count is down to something like 20.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ouch, that makes me feel better for flaking out on my game with him at least lol.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I did the thing and bought TOAW4 in the sale.

Seems like the link to Gradenko_2000's guide in the OP is broken though? Anyone got an active link for it?

Edit: it didn't even occur to me to just look at Gradenko's post history in this thread to find the link :v: Here it is for posterity: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11GMVwu9JQNDuQakTIE_K-E4x0-6uvvWn/view?usp=sharing

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 27, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Combat Mission time: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915552

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished a run of the Kharkov 42 scenario.

This is the section of the map, when centered around Kharkov, at the start of the game (it's TOAW3, so might look a little different)

What follows is a gif of the game as it ran through its 12 turns. I missed taking screenshots of turns 2 and 4, but I think you can see the progression of the game clearly

And this is how the game ended

I managed to score a Marginal Victory

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Saros posted:

For anyone curious here's the summer half of my DC:B game against BBJoey, 22 Jun - 30 Sep. (Boxed to avoid mega gif embedding).

code:
https://i.imgur.com/gbT9iQY.mp4
He's done a superb job frustrating my advances and avoiding encirclements and as you can see the second half has become an absolutely horrific grind with some mega casualties for us both. The only question at this point is which army dissolves first.

Also the average tanks-per-Panzerdivision count is down to something like 20.

Some reflections:

We're playing with free setup which meant we were able to choose our initial deployments. I don't know what it's like for the Germans but the Soviets have fairly restrictive deployment zones - there's no saving the 10th army from being encircled in Bialystok, for example. Deployment proved quite challenging for me, I was unsure of much of a force to leave at the front as a screen to buy time for the rest to retreat to defensive positions. Ultimately I think I probably got the balance right in the Centre (especially proud of 4th Army's brave stand in the Pripyat marshes), but had not in the North and especially South.
In the North I was thrown by Saros's decision to concentrate panzer forces in the east (as opposed to the west where PG4 lies in historical setup), which meant my defensive line was strongest around Riga (where it faced an infantry army) and weakest around Daugavpils (where it faced the panzergroup).
In the South I underestimated the geographic distance between the frontline and the Bug and Dnepr rivers, where I wanted to put my defensive line. As a result I had a lot of troops stuck in no mans land, struggling with poor activation, who served little value as screens but were overrun before they could reach defensive positions.
I think the free setup contributed to the war of attrition that we've ended up in. The lack of encirclements has meant more troops for me but also fewer of Saros' divisions spent cleaning up pockets, allowing for a greater concentration of German force at the front. More troops at the front for both sides has meant proportionally bigger battles and casualties.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Some context for people wrt casualty numbers.

Total casualties

Just want to highlight the 311% Armor loss total :lol:

Troop levels

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 28, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

To those who mentioned it before, I've also been thinking of running a Aurora 4x LP. Humorously I got into the idea because I was about to run a Rule the Waves LP and like 3 of them popped up. Now it seems Aurora will be the next one to do that. I've got a play it straight game prepped and ready to go, just writing the first post up now. Though I hear C#Aurora is just around the corner now.

Also I just got AGEod's To End All Wars. I've played Revolution Under Siege to completion multiple times in PBEM games, and am finding this title too complicated.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

C# Aurora will be out in two weeks or so so definitely hold off. It will probably need a bunch of bugfixes and Steve has said he is saving most of the diplomacy changes for "1.1".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’ve been putting off getting into Aurora until the new version comes out so I guess I should start looking for guides and manuals now if it’s dropping soon

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So, off of Grey's ill-fated video series, I dug AT:G out of my dusty steam sale pile and had a look. Couple questions (using the delayed war mod, if it breaks anything)-
1 - So, captured cities from other cultures never make anything except PP and supply?
2 - How do I make factories build things? I had engineers throw down a couple factories, but when i go to the production menu and click on a build slot, there's no available options there.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Ceebees posted:

So, off of Grey's ill-fated video series, I dug AT:G out of my dusty steam sale pile and had a look. Couple questions (using the delayed war mod, if it breaks anything)-
1 - So, captured cities from other cultures never make anything except PP and supply?
2 - How do I make factories build things? I had engineers throw down a couple factories, but when i go to the production menu and click on a build slot, there's no available options there.

1 - Correct
2 - Did you assign the factory to an HQ? You might have to do that before you can actually produce anything. It might default to your supreme HQ though, can't remember for sure. Edit: If you're playing a stone age game, you can build factories before you've researched the stuff they actually build.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 29, 2020

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

2 - Did you assign the factory to an HQ? You might have to do that before you can actually produce anything. It might default to your supreme HQ though, can't remember for sure.

Yeah, it's assigned to the supreme HQ, and i built the factory on a rail line. Still nada.

E - I definitely have the tech for tanks and planes and guns, and have been building all of those from cities for a while now.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 29, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pirate Radar posted:

I’ve been putting off getting into Aurora until the new version comes out so I guess I should start looking for guides and manuals now if it’s dropping soon

Wait until C# comes out to look for guides. The game is getting enough changes that most of the old stuff isn't going to be useful anymore. It'd be like trying to play Hearts of Iron using the strategies from one of the LPs from the first month the game was released.

The LPs and AARs are probably worth reading if you just want some light entertainment though. Bremen's game (linked in the OP) was focused on the space battles, so it's where I would start.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grey Hunter, you started an LP of Battle Series Pacific - Battle of Iwo Jima.

Where might we buy this game? I'd literally never heard of it before until seeing it on your channel.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245260/Battle_for_Iwo_Jima/

It's no out yet, and the Dev just randomly sent me a key!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_OjEO1qSI

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceo_tLUPP20

And here is a new one for Gladius - the warhammer 40k 4x.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 1, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Saros posted:

C# Aurora will be out in two weeks or so so definitely hold off. It will probably need a bunch of bugfixes and Steve has said he is saving most of the diplomacy changes for "1.1".

Seriously? I was literally, sometime next month, going to check out that remake project someone was making on the Aurora forums to see if it was playable just to get my Aurora fix since I didn't think C# was ever going to come out.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well the Aurora forums are currently down lol so maybe Steve has been playing the long con this whole time.

Advanced Tactics Gold!

If there is anyone who would be interested in playing a MP game which Grey hunter is going to LP head on over to his latest ATG thread.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We're at the point where I wont buy atg to learn it for a lap, but I'm hoping that vic's new game will support a good mp community.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I finally (after 4 days) got my code to Steam and Iron. So far I think it’s better than RTW2, and I find myself wishing that wars in RTW2 were handled like the Steam and Iron campaign rather than RNG battles.

Also, I like the naval gunfire sounds in Steam and Iron more than I do RTW2, and I find myself curious about why they weren’t ported into the RTW games.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ZombieLenin posted:

Also, I like the naval gunfire sounds in Steam and Iron more than I do RTW2, and I find myself curious about why they weren’t ported into the RTW games.

If the files are like RTW1, you might just be able to swap them out.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any advice for nice low-complexity scenarios for idiots who just downloaded the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

sum posted:

Any advice for nice low-complexity scenarios for idiots who just downloaded the game?

The Kasserine Pass scenario is a good one to start with.