Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

LongDarkNight posted:

It's filtering plankton, not scotch and heroin.

That’s baleen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

If you ever get the chance to try caviar I highly recommend it. Straight up out of the container scooped out with your pinky finger.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

*UT2K4 Announcer Voice* OWN JUICE

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

If you ever get the chance to try caviar I highly recommend it. Straight up out of the container scooped out with your pinky finger.

well there's like 8 million kinds. You're gonna need to be more specific...

Also don't eat it off your hands. Technically the 'right' way to eat it is with a mother of pearl spoon but whatever

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

probably most accessible way to try caviar/roe for people in most of the US is to order ikura (salmon roe) or tobiko (flying fish roe) nigiri in a sushi place. most will have both because it keeps a long time and is a fairly popular minority thing, like not many people order it but it will get ordered occasionally kinda thing

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 19, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

probably most accessible way to try caviar/roe for people in most of the US is to order ikura (salmon roe) or tobiko (flying fish roe) nigiri in a sushi place. most will have both because it keeps a long time and is a fairly popular minority thing, like not many people order it but it will get ordered occasionally kinda thing

YMMV but the fish roe I have had in the US was nothing like the fish roe I had in Japan. I don't know if it's just a turnover thing and it's much fresher, or it is better quality, or what. But I am not a huge fan the ikura I've had in the US.

Now, I know salmon isn't native to Japan, so it must be imported from Norway to Japan... So maybe it's all in my head.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Made the trip to the hong kong market mostly to stock up on spices to be pleasantly surprised to find they expanded, bought out the neighboring building and turned it into a produce + fish market.

So I bought a bunch of ocean life to consume.

- A dozen whole fresh 'dines for grillin' when the weather permits this week
- 2 whole sanma (mackerel pike)
- 4 whole butterfish (I f'ing love butterfish)
- 2 tins of gochugaru herring filets (can't wait to try these)

It's gonna be a fishy week

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

MetaJew posted:

YMMV but the fish roe I have had in the US was nothing like the fish roe I had in Japan. I don't know if it's just a turnover thing and it's much fresher, or it is better quality, or what. But I am not a huge fan the ikura I've had in the US.

Now, I know salmon isn't native to Japan, so it must be imported from Norway to Japan... So maybe it's all in my head.

Sushi salmon doesn’t come from Japan, but they have Pacific salmon. The Norwegians had to do quite a bit of selling to get the Japanese market to try salmon because Japanese salmon has parasites and is always cooked.

As far as roe goes, probably from Norway still.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sushi salmon is always flash frozen anyways so that kills all the parasites.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/JsA8DIq.mp4

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That poor fish has a hosed up tail.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I live in the middle of the continent. Things in the water bigger than me are not something that I am used to.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

I live in the middle of the continent. Things in the water bigger than me are not something that I am used to.

funny though they may be, making self-depricating fat jokes like this can be a sign of deeper insecurities

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My gf is vegetarian. Well, was a vegetarian. We started hitting the gym hard seven months ago, and she's been struggling to eat enough since. I got her and her roommate (also vegetarian and suffering from lack of food due to lifting heavy loving weights) to try some dines and kipper snacks. They're pescatarian now and have a giant stack of KOs in the pantry.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

anyone ever have monkfish liver? grab it if you spot it. +ponzu sauce

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

$11 / oz.

Amazon has some Matiz cockles for $8, but I don't even know what it is. It looks yummy though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Nice. I really want to try some cockles. And razor clams. I just want to forage on a cold water beach and eat whatever I find.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
just had a fried sardine dinner

sardines were casually my favorite food for the longest time

but quality ones come from back home

in Algeria~

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yooper posted:

Amazon has some Matiz cockles for $8, but I don't even know what it is. It looks yummy though.

Matiz does Boquerones, too. Anyone ever tried their brand? I would kill a man for good Boquerones so if anyone can review these, much appreciated.
If you've never had them before...quit your job and leave your families behind to seek them out. They're incredible.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yooper posted:

$11 / oz.

Aren't cockles scallops? I'm on my phone so can't be arsed to search it myself.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i also refuse to search

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Look Sir Droids posted:

Nice. I really want to try some cockles. And razor clams. I just want to forage on a cold water beach and eat whatever I find.

This reminds me of something Charlie of IASIP would do. Barnacles and all.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just sayin'.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i also refuse to search

:same:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Just stocked up on KO and Triscuits

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, on my computer now so I looked it up, and I guess cockles are a distinct form of shellfish that is sometimes mistaken for being scallops.

quote:

A cockle is an edible, marine bivalve mollusc. Although many small edible bivalves are loosely called cockles, true cockles are species in the family Cardiidae. True cockles live in sandy, sheltered beaches throughout the world. The distinctive rounded shells are bilaterally symmetrical, and are heart-shaped when viewed from the end. Numerous radial, evenly spaced ribs are a feature of the shell in most but not all genera (for an exception, see the genus Laevicardium, the egg cockles, which have very smooth shells).

The shell of a cockle is able to close completely (i.e., there is no "gape" at any point around the edge). Though the shell of a cockle may superficially resemble that of a scallop because of the ribs, cockles can be distinguished from scallops morphologically in that cockle shells lack "auricles" (triangular ear-shaped protrusions near the hinge line) and scallop shells lack a pallial sinus. Behaviorally, cockles live buried in sediment, whereas scallops either are free-living and will swim into the water column to avoid a predator, or in some cases live attached by a byssus to a substrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockle_(bivalve)

Would like to try them in some pasta now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cockles are tasty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ov_M5ixhE

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i had good Boquerones once
it was a top 10 seafood experience
to be reminded is a sweet pain

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i ate sardines twice today

once at work, mashed em up and put on rye and then made a melt out of it in the toaster oven

then for dinner as the protein in a stir fry to use up some leftover rice

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Dines and beans gonna see me through the plague year

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I only had sardines once today :(
But I ate them with green tea noodles and sauteed onions and shrooms and squash and zucchini and some rice vinegar and furikake. It was good.

I do not like Bar Harbor kippered herring. Every tin I have tried has been mushy and the flavor was just not there. Come to think of it I don't like Bar Harbor anything.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

pahuyuth posted:

I do not like Bar Harbor kippered herring. Every tin I have tried has been mushy and the flavor was just not there. Come to think of it I don't like Bar Harbor anything.

That's a shame. Actual fresh seafood from Bar Harbor is good.

I had some smoked sprats a couple nights ago when I woke up feeling a little peckish. It was good.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I toasted some baguette, layered sliced avocado and pickled onions then topped it with canned jack mackerel. That was the last of my portugese pack. Time to impulse buy some canned fish!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Having had my hours severely cut recently, just wanted to say I'm very grateful for the sardine thread both for opening my eyes to the deliciousness of canned fishes and in directly leading me to have kept a supply on hand.

I've just been eating out of the pantry and freezer all week, had some Brunswicks in mustard sauce with rice, steamed broccoli and fridge pickled carrots three times and didn't feel deprived at all.

Worst case scenario where I don't hear back on any of the applications I have out, I'm looking at $40 for groceries to get through March and it seems a lot more doable now than I would've expected.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i had good Boquerones once
it was a top 10 seafood experience
to be reminded is a sweet pain

Preach, brother.
Really good ones with quality olive oil, good bread, and a squeeze of lemon is almost literally a religious experience. I was only SLIGHTLY exaggerating in my 'quit your jobs, leave your families' remark earlier...

e:

Zoe posted:

I've just been eating out of the pantry and freezer all week, had some Brunswicks in mustard sauce with rice, steamed broccoli and fridge pickled carrots three times and didn't feel deprived at all.

If you're doing fridge pickling and want to keep doing this on the cheap and small scale for yourself/partner/small family please check THESE out There's multiple varieties, but they make home pickling real simple and cool if it's something you want to keep up with, and you can pickle without even taking up fridge space. Good luck going forward!!

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 26, 2020

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Quote not edit

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 26, 2020

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Big Beef City posted:

If you're doing fridge pickling and want to keep doing this on the cheap and small scale for yourself/partner/small family please check THESE out There's multiple varieties, but they make home pickling real simple and cool if it's something you want to keep up with, and you can pickle without even taking up fridge space. Good luck going forward!!

Thanks, I've bookmarked these to read up on later....had not realized fermented veggies were such a popular thing aside from the obvious with cabbage. I just dabble with fridge pickling veggies I eat pretty quickly for now, I've always been too paranoid about food poisoning to get into the real deal although I plan to at some point. Making wine and jelly from mustang grapes was something my family always did when I was growing up so really I have no idea why I treat it like some mysterious voodoo now.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 26, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This thread is actually about seafood?!

naem
May 29, 2011

jOiN uS

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

KO boneless/skinless (on sale) on top of dill triscuits for dinner. this is life at its finest folks

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

KO boneless/skinless (on sale) on top of dill triscuits for dinner. this is life at its finest folks

Would have been even better with skin and bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Keith Atherton posted:

Would have been even better with skin and bones

I've failed the thread.