Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Y'all talked me into it. Just made reservations for Breck in early April. Epic has a sale on their lodging options right now for pass holders. Opens for everyone else tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Here's another one fer ya: Jackson Hole or Crested Butte for Spring Break (March 29 through April 5)?

CB

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

XC race season two thirds complete after finishing the Noquemanon a month ago and the American Birkebeiner this past weekend.

The Birkebeiner ("birkie") is a race that originated in Norway based on the story of one of Norway's most famous kings. It's still held each year in Norway, along with American and Canadian versions.

So what is competitive XC ski gear like?

My folks live in Vermont, and we do a lot of XC country skiing on both private trails and in the National Forest (which unfortunately we have to share with snowmobiles). Its' super leisurely compared to what you do, my parents are in their 70s and I'm fat. They have a club of old people that join up to ski and to maintain the trails, it's cute.

Anyway, I see three kinds of XC skis.

Golf Course skis: no edges, super skinny. Only really good for pre-groomed trails with limited grade.

Quasi Back country: wider, partial edges, built in scale texture in the middle. Great for everything but really steep grades (this is what I have)

Full back country: a telemark setup with a bending boot, wide skis and full edges. Usually smooth bottom, you have to put skins on to go up.

What's the fast stuff like?

Yuns posted:

I spent the Saturday at Okemo, land of the blue groomers, "valued guest"ing my way down the handful of technical trails at Okemo. I realize I like technical steeps way more than the park when I'm not busy dad carving.

I like Okemo, my dad used to work the ticket booth, so I got a lot of free employee comp tickets. I also ran the snowmaking equipment one winter.

It's got some trails that I like, but nothing consistently steep. When the snow is good and fresh (which happened like three times this year? :( ), I like the glades on the South Face. Crossing the mountain on a snowboard is tricky, make the wrong move and you are stuck on flats of misery. But if you know which lifts to take, it's not a bit deal.

They used to have the best grooming team around, but the new corporate ownership has lead to the departure of a lot of long-term employees.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha yeah.

Then again if you're going to make a fake vid maybe don't link the "producer and director" of the video and also link the company designed to make your videos go viral in the notes

Also I was going to say that as opposed to the ocean at least the mountain stays still and then I thought but does it?? Sometimes it doesn't. :/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I like Okemo, my dad used to work the ticket booth, so I got a lot of free employee comp tickets. I also ran the snowmaking equipment one winter.

It's got some trails that I like, but nothing consistently steep. When the snow is good and fresh (which happened like three times this year? :( ), I like the glades on the South Face. Crossing the mountain on a snowboard is tricky, make the wrong move and you are stuck on flats of misery. But if you know which lifts to take, it's not a bit deal.

They used to have the best grooming team around, but the new corporate ownership has lead to the departure of a lot of long-term employees.
I spent most of my time on South Face to avoid the crowds and I liked the Double Diamond glade trail and Upper Wild Thing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In case you want to go to Japan with me for my birthday next year

https://ezloungin.com/ezlounge/moun...021/#post-43252

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

You tempt me. I am not sure my GF would appreciate 2 years of bro only 10 day powder trips in a row though...

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Squashy Nipples posted:

So what is competitive XC ski gear like?

My folks live in Vermont, and we do a lot of XC country skiing on both private trails and in the National Forest (which unfortunately we have to share with snowmobiles). Its' super leisurely compared to what you do, my parents are in their 70s and I'm fat. They have a club of old people that join up to ski and to maintain the trails, it's cute.

Anyway, I see three kinds of XC skis.

Golf Course skis: no edges, super skinny. Only really good for pre-groomed trails with limited grade.

Quasi Back country: wider, partial edges, built in scale texture in the middle. Great for everything but really steep grades (this is what I have)

Full back country: a telemark setup with a bending boot, wide skis and full edges. Usually smooth bottom, you have to put skins on to go up.

What's the fast stuff like?

Skinny, stiff, and lightweight. Skis are usually about 45mm wide, single or double camber, no metal edges.

Here's some dude's skate skis:

Single camber is what you have on alpine or skate skis. Double camber means you need to put extra weight on the ski to get the full length to contact the ground, and it's reserved for classic skis. It allows you to use sticky wax underfoot and still glide when your weight is evenly distributed.

You can get two kinds of 'fast' classic skis these days: waxable or skins. Waxable require the application of wax to get kick/stick to the snow mid-stride. Skins are like the fishscale bases except they use mohair like climbing skins. Word on the street is they're almost as good as waxable skis all-around if you're not a pro, and are significantly better than wax (again, for non-pros) in certain conditions. I'm thinking about getting a classic setup in the next couple years and I'll almost definitely get skins if I do. Regardless of ski type, once you hit a certain steepness, skating or herringbone technique is the only thing that works to go uphill.

Patterned bases are generally reserved for 'touring', 'fitness', or 'backcountry' ski models. I have a pair that I beat to poo poo in the woods, but they have about as much glide as sandpaper. I think they used to make performance "coach" skis with patterned bases, but that's about all I know.

You have different boots for skate or classic. Skate boots have a higher ankle for stability side-to-side and stiffer soles. Classic boots have a low ankle and a more flexible sole so you can bend your foot more at the toe.

Bindings are almost all NNN single-bar. Some use salomon's SNS system that has two bars on each boot and a spring-loaded lever that helps pull the ski back to your foot. My understanding is these are being phased out, but they're what I have. Just get NNN stuff.

Poles are the last piece of kit. You need the right size for each discipline, which is about shoulder high for skate and armpit high for classic (roughly, IIRC). Poles are usually some kind of composite, either fiberglass or carbon. New carbon race poles are incredibly lightweight but apparently easy to break. Last weekend I probably saw a dozen pole tips on the trail. You want to get poles with a velcro wrap-around leash, which is what you use to put most of the power into the pole.

Cost for new gear:
Skis: $120 - $800
Bindings: $60 - $100
Boots: $120 - $700
Poles: $70 - $300

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Y'all talked me into it. Just made reservations for Breck in early April. Epic has a sale on their lodging options right now for pass holders. Opens for everyone else tomorrow.

Nice. Some of us should be around if you want to grab some turns. I am really good at strong arming people into hiking imperial and peak 6 with me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I've been getting dragged into the ballroom hike too much this season. It's well worth it and not too terrible of a hoof.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

highme posted:

I'm really interested highme. I'll have to work something out with the family though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Some race gear has arrived from the team.

Bindings are stuck in customs. Can't wait to get out and train this weekend.

I misread those as Moment skis and was very confused.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Math You posted:

The key to snowboarding flats is to always go with skiing friends. Poles aren't so bad to carry even on the steeps.

That's what I'm thinking, just get collapsible poles and stash them in a backpack, as a friend suggested.

We leave for Zermatt tomorrow!

Not sure whether or not to hope we don't get quarantined in the Alps for half a month.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

spwrozek posted:

Any FWD car will be fine then. If you are really worried you could get a 4WD. If you don't want to drive you can take Colorado mountain express to and from DIA. If you picked Breck and stayed in town you can get around with hotel shuttle/free bus/Lyft/Uber. If you want to check out other resorts though you will want a car.

Avis gave me a 2WD truck last weekend, and I thought I'd be fine because it was only supposed to snow like 2 inches in Breck. Woke up on Sunday morning like :psypop: and ended up having to go buy chains to get the thing back to I-70 and over the pass from our AirBnB. I honestly can't believe Avis even rented it out considered someone with less experience driving snow/common sense probably would have killed themselves in that thing.

highme
May 25, 2001

:lol:
The last time I rented a car at DIA was early June a few years ago. Since we were going "all the way to Grand Lake" the agent was pretty insistent I needed to consider upgrading to AWD because conditions might get bad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rental cars always have the most absolute garbage tier tires on them. A 2wd truck is probably the worst thing you could get because it has no weight on the rear axle.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Rental cars always have the most absolute garbage tier tires on them. A 2wd truck is probably the worst thing you could get because it has no weight on the rear axle.

Luckily there was 13 inches of snow in the bed to help add some weight!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Truth. Got a pickup once heading back on a stormy day and felt like I almost died a few times on the way.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

That's what I'm thinking, just get collapsible poles and stash them in a backpack, as a friend suggested.

We leave for Zermatt tomorrow!

Not sure whether or not to hope we don't get quarantined in the Alps for half a month.

Chucking down with snow in Valais at the moment and it should clear up on Friday and be sunny through the weekend. You should have an awesome time.

If you're going to get stuck in Zermatt bring lots of money.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

knox_harrington posted:

Chucking down with snow in Valais at the moment and it should clear up on Friday and be sunny through the weekend. You should have an awesome time.

If you're going to get stuck in Zermatt bring lots of money.

Can't wait...definitely packing the cash.

highme
May 25, 2001

Wash your hands as much as possible. Would be a shame if you brought COVID-19 back to the 3252.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Alright, I'm definitely moving out west now. Oregon was dope.

Only had three days of riding at Meadows during the week but have barely any complaints. Last Wednesday and Friday were blue bird days, and on Sunday I got to play around in some powder before the wind got too strong. Only regret was that I didn't ride my Custom Camber, but the Party Platter treated me right and the Cool Bean is such a fun little crud buster disguised as a powder board.

highme
May 25, 2001

Sorry, we're full.

(if I'd have known you were going to be there on Sunday too we had plenty of tickets)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Apparently Burton is giving away free lift tickets for March 13 at several different resorts.

https://www.adayforjake.com/en/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

Skinny, stiff, and lightweight. Skis are usually about 45mm wide, single or double camber, no metal edges.

Wow, what a comprehensive response! That was interesting, thank you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Of course it's gonna be mid-40s and raining the day before my trip. :shepface:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Looks like they removed Aspen and Jackson from the Ikon Base Pass. It’s now a $150 upgrade to buy five days (Ikon Base Plus Pass)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You have to keep Aspen, Aspen. Can't let in the riff Raff.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Off to Les Arcs tomorrow and it'll be the first time I'll use the train to get to the Alps which is exciting, also seems we've picked an awesome week as they've just had a dump.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Best riding I’ve experienced in life so far was at Meadows this past Sunday.

Today I decided to go to Whitetail, PA on my only day off this week... quite the contrast.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dangerllama posted:

Looks like they removed Aspen and Jackson from the Ikon Base Pass. It’s now a $150 upgrade to buy five days (Ikon Base Plus Pass)

I both love and hate this valley so very much

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There are fewer people on the mountain the last few days than I've seen in years, and in the valley too, rumour is people are cancelling trips because of corona virus.

Of course it could also be because it stopped snowing forever.

Are you guys seeing the same sorts of things down there?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

There are fewer people on the mountain the last few days than I've seen in years, and in the valley too, rumour is people are cancelling trips because of corona virus.

West Coast wise, snow conditions have been very, very poor. This has resulted in less visit. As for Coronavirus.....as far as I can tell it is too new to impact my area, and I am not sure we get a lot of travelers compared to Mammoth..... I am up in Central Oregon. I have a trip to PCMR in March and Breck in April that have me looking at Corona Virus... Have insurance on both the trips actually. Hoping it won't turn out for the worst. Perhaps Whistler is a location more impacted due to the higher population percentage of people from Asia creating some stereotype/prejudice decision making?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Before I flew out last week we had a bunch of customers say they either postponed their trips out west, or full on cancelled because of the conditions. It sucks because majority of them were picking up skis/boards that were serviced for those trips. I feel like there’s still good stuff out there, but definitely lacking w/r/t previous seasons.

I have a hard time believing it’s Corona Virus related, but it doesn’t help my first mental image involved China’s government targeting Vail Resorts.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HookShot posted:

Over here Sunshine soaked up a fair number of people today; Goat's Eye lift was jammers (in that you had to wait a minute or two in line) but probably because of the teen GS race happening at the same time.

Banff village however was more empty than last week but I attribute that to it not being school break. I will say the number of buses of asian tourists have noticeably declined.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm considering cancelling my (bus) trip to Heavenly next weekend but only because there hasn't been any new snow yet.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It literally hasn't snowed in Tahoe for nearly a month and a half. I live in Truckee and haven't bothered going skiing for the last 3 weeks

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

I feel like ski country air traffic is down a noticeable amount this year. I don't have hard numbers, but it definitely seems less busy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Steve French posted:

It literally hasn't snowed in Tahoe for nearly a month and a half. I live in Truckee and haven't bothered going skiing for the last 3 weeks

It's supposed to snow a few inches this weekend and hopefully I didn't just gently caress it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm stuck inside working with this going on outside

Lunch break today is going to be looooong

E: yup

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 28, 2020