Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Christ my co-workers are idiots. I told them that IT was doing a phishing test and to delete any suspicious emails and yet one of them still opened the email and then argued with me that it was legitimate (because the big splash screen for KnowBe4 that tells you it's a test isn't enough of a hint, apparently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, if you’re in the river of bullshit, don’t worry about the bridge anymore, it obviously didn’t help the first time.

In the middle of IT,
I go walking like a sheep,
Through the lying of my boss
To the river so deep
We all end in the meeting
We all start in the Git,
We're all carried along
By the river of bullshit

In the middle of IT

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Laserface posted:

following day IT manager calls. tells us to put the printer in, CEO has said so. We fold, order the printer.

But what about the toner? why does no one ever have toner?

well, it gets delivered to reception, who for the past 10 months has been putting the toner cartridges in the Comms room, "because its IT equipment" and not telling anyone. not even telling me, the IT guy, when I call up and ask "have you been receiving toner, because its apparently being signed for on delivery"
CEO: why is the IT department spending so much money???

Also, why does the receptionist, who doesn't even know what toner is, have access to the comms room???

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

One of our depots calls us regularly to say their toner has not arrived in time. The printers are supposed to automatically order toner and it gets delivered, so this was confusing to us.

today we found out why.

There is 45 computer users a the depot over 3 floors. at this depot, there is 16 printers. 3 of the printers are the same model and share cartridges. 10 of the printers physically look identical, but are actually totally different models that need different toner cartridges. The floors are not very big, maybe 300sqm? idk.

There are several offices with their own multifunction, full colour printers. None of these offices handle sensitive documents. There are two that do, and they do not have their own printers. They dont share printers between departments because they dont like each other.

Someone from the third floor ran out of toner on the weekend, and then in a fit of rage found of the two printers that are actually the same model, and took the toner cartridge out and put it in their printer.

The next day we get a call from the depot manager demanding a new printer for another department, 5 meters away from the toner thief and that printer-- as the 5 minutes of outage while he stole toner was a significant impact to business. We tell him to get hosed, because they do not need another printer there. They say its slowing down production not having an additional printer - job cards for the workshop, in excess of 200 pages a day. We look at the logs to see how much the current printer is printing - 20 pages a month. We tell him again, to get hosed.

following day IT manager calls. tells us to put the printer in, CEO has said so. We fold, order the printer.

But what about the toner? why does no one ever have toner?

well, it gets delivered to reception, who for the past 10 months has been putting the toner cartridges in the Comms room, "because its IT equipment" and not telling anyone. not even telling me, the IT guy, when I call up and ask "have you been receiving toner, because its apparently being signed for on delivery"

gotta love using IT solutions to solve managerial/behavioral issues.
How many toner cartridges were in that room?

I'm picturing someone opening the door, and stacks of toner cartridges falling out on top of them into the hallway.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I finally got to see renderings for the new super mega conference room we're building in our HQ and it looks like a goddamn prison cell. I think the idea is that it's supposed to look like the stylized frame of a house, but having faux studs on all four sides look like bars. What in the gently caress. It's one of the worst interior designs I've ever seen. They want it crammed with technology but every wall is glass and the ceiling is open, and the building owners won't allow us to trench the concrete floor.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

At least they haven't set reminders for each request.....did they?

I received an event reminder for a project manager's vacation day last week.

This project manager hasn't worked here in 6 years.

The day they took off was in 2010.

Somehow they set the year for the calendar invite for 2020.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A vendor is at one of our store locations trying to install software to support the new paint tinter we got for that location.

I blessed them with the local admin password for that machine so they could do this. Unbeknownst to them, I am watching the screen remotely. The first thing they do? Disable loving UAC. Ugh.

Really? Its 2020 and people are still doing this?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I finally got to see renderings for the new super mega conference room we're building in our HQ and it looks like a goddamn prison cell. I think the idea is that it's supposed to look like the stylized frame of a house, but having faux studs on all four sides look like bars. What in the gently caress. It's one of the worst interior designs I've ever seen. They want it crammed with technology but every wall is glass and the ceiling is open, and the building owners won't allow us to trench the concrete floor.

They are expecting everything to run offa wifi lol

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

They want it crammed with technology but every wall is glass and the ceiling is open, and the building owners won't allow us to trench the concrete floor.

I hade the same scenario play out. We had this fancy meeting room and I had to use Velcro cable covers to run cat5 and power from the wall jacks to the table. It looked great :rolleyes:

link

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what we default to when people don't want to trench the floor, but want cables between the wall and a conference table:

https://www.grainger.com/product/LEGRAND-10-ft-2600-Series-Raceway-3YY71

It sticks up a good 3/4" from the floor. Just high enough to be a trip hazard and lol at any chairs rolling over it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

Extron used to make really low profile raceway for this sort of thing, looks like they have discontinued it though.

Maybe this is workable https://www.legrand.us/wiremold/raceway/overfloor/ofr-series-overfloor-raceway/ofr-series-overfloor-raceway.aspx

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Micro-trench the floor and fill with epoxy like Google fiber

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New job is going pretty well so far.

There's a big garage where they want wifi. There is fiber going over there already, with a couple security cameras.

I walked over there and found a Dell PowerConnect 3424 (welcome back to 2004!) up in the attic. Dug around for a serial cable, dicked around with the config for a bit (unsuccessfully) yesterday for an hour or so.

Regrouped, figured out I probably had the wrong default VLAN set, downloaded the manuals, grabbed a spare Aruba AP, brought in a second laptop from home and went back over there today. It was about 15 degrees this morning and the attic isn't heated at all. Wore a fleece, hat, Columbia jacket...but didn't wear my wool socks so my feet started freezing after an hour and a half, but I got it working.

These are the Dell switches which are rear end backwards and you have to click the little box to turn it from U to T on each port. It seems rear end-backward like the old Netgears used to be. The only thing I couldn't figure out was why I couldn't put an IP address on our switch management VLAN.

gently caress it, we're ordering an 8 port Aruba switch and a 6U locking cabinet to go over there. We also have 100mb media converters but I'll leave them until someone complains about the speed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Micro-trench the floor and fill with epoxy like Google fiber

They want it to stay in

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

Dell switch stuff

I have two dell managed switches in my house- a holdover from a job at a company that got bought and dissolved. I think a 6248 and a 5224.

Yeah, the interface is a little odd and the cli is just Cisco enough to be irritating when the Cisco command you want isn’t there. Stacking is/was problematic with these as well and breaking the stack leaves all these weird artifacts that make an unstable switch until you Re Flash the bios.

But for all their issues, when you get them configured and stable they run forever. I think my switches are twelve years old or something. And after replacing the stock 40mm fans with quieter ones they are great little units.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dells own switching is poo poo. Dells rebranded switching from their Force10 acquisition is good stuff.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

quote:

Energy as a Service (EaaS) transfers the burden of financing, owning, installing and managing energy from your organization to AlphaStruxure via a long-term agreement. We design, build, own and operate energy systems that meet your comprehensive goals. EaaS gives you the power to improve productivity and meet your reliability, resilience, sustainability and cost objectives with no capital outlay.

Did Schneider Electric just try to rebrand the concept of an electric company

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

New job is going pretty well so far.

There's a big garage where they want wifi. There is fiber going over there already, with a couple security cameras.

I walked over there and found a Dell PowerConnect 3424 (welcome back to 2004!) up in the attic. Dug around for a serial cable, dicked around with the config for a bit (unsuccessfully) yesterday for an hour or so.

Regrouped, figured out I probably had the wrong default VLAN set, downloaded the manuals, grabbed a spare Aruba AP, brought in a second laptop from home and went back over there today. It was about 15 degrees this morning and the attic isn't heated at all. Wore a fleece, hat, Columbia jacket...but didn't wear my wool socks so my feet started freezing after an hour and a half, but I got it working.

These are the Dell switches which are rear end backwards and you have to click the little box to turn it from U to T on each port. It seems rear end-backward like the old Netgears used to be. The only thing I couldn't figure out was why I couldn't put an IP address on our switch management VLAN.

gently caress it, we're ordering an 8 port Aruba switch and a 6U locking cabinet to go over there. We also have 100mb media converters but I'll leave them until someone complains about the speed.

Fuuuuuuck I hate this poo poo. Dell switches can go get hosed. There is an option to do through the CLI that isn't total bullshit, you should really really check into that.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This is what we default to when people don't want to trench the floor, but want cables between the wall and a conference table:

https://www.grainger.com/product/LEGRAND-10-ft-2600-Series-Raceway-3YY71

It sticks up a good 3/4" from the floor. Just high enough to be a trip hazard and lol at any chairs rolling over it.

We use this velcro stuff which is okay as long as you aren't running thick power cords.

https://www.linhawstore.com/shop/product/sfc46-safcord-4-cable-protector-black-6-2636?category=539

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

klosterdev posted:

That's got to be a joke

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

klosterdev posted:

that sounds like enron bs

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

I had one of those nuke the ARP tables on my network when it decided to become the root bridge because someone disabled spanning tree on the core Cisco switches we had. It was of course because it had the oldest MAC of any network device in the building. It got there because one of my coworkers picked it up at goodwill for like $2 and used it to connect like 20 unused desktops to the network so he could mine Litecoin.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Got a call this morning from a guy that opens with 'tactless, this is Chris Hansen...' and I almost said is this a loving joke?

I didn't, which is good, because it turned out to be a job interview lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

Got a call this morning from a guy that opens with 'tactless, this is Chris Hansen...' and I almost said is this a loving joke?

Protip, as someone who has a name like that: don't make the obvious joke. TIA.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanatosian posted:

Protip 2: don't make jokes about pedos during a job interview unless you are really, really confident that you've read the room right.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

Protip 2: don't make jokes about pedos during a job interview unless you are really, really confident that you've read the room right.

And even then, do you really need to?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

tactlessbastard posted:

Had a meeting last week with an Aaron Carter, nearly killed me to not make an Aaron's Party joke.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Re: pro tips

I killed that interview, yall. After 40 minutes he seemed relieved to have talked to me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Guy I work with now, his brother had a second interview at the place I just left today

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So if they get the job we’re buying them an account I take it?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Thanatosian posted:

Why don’t you take a seat?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

So if they get the job we’re buying them an account I take it?

Hella. Also down to buy an account for anyone working at the carb desert.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So I have to email for approval on POs. Not that abnormal, except that my boss takes a week to get back sometimes, which is really inconvenient when I'm out of material.

In order to facilitate this, I email a PDF of the PO from our ERP (Dynamics NAV). But there's a catch! If I click "Save to PDF", it says "Could not find part of the default path: C:\NAVTemp\default.pdf", but if I click "Send as PDF" it works fine and I save the PDF and cancel the email. What the gently caress is going on here :shepicide:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D34THROW posted:

So I have to email for approval on POs. Not that abnormal, except that my boss takes a week to get back sometimes, which is really inconvenient when I'm out of material.

In order to facilitate this, I email a PDF of the PO from our ERP (Dynamics NAV). But there's a catch! If I click "Save to PDF", it says "Could not find part of the default path: C:\NAVTemp\default.pdf", but if I click "Send as PDF" it works fine and I save the PDF and cancel the email. What the gently caress is going on here :shepicide:

It uses different processes to assemble the PDF based on selection? And one of those two is broken?
Linda like saving a pdf and "printing to PDF" are not the same thing.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I work with Dynamics GP, not NAV, but it sounds like the default path for saving PDFs has not been defined correctly. It tries to find the folder specified by the default path variable and fails, so it throws an error. When emailing though, it's quite happy to use the temporary files path, which is properly defined, allowing you to get to a save screen.

The one thing they repeatedly drum into your head when setting up Dynamics is to make absolutely certain that your default path variables are properly defined and the security settings on the folders allow the program access.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 2, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sign... new guy.
Our newest guy was given a ticket to fix a problem with a website that we don't manage. We just provide the infrastructure for it, and the company supports it. He was told to contact their support and have them fix the issue or at the very least provide us with details about what we need to do to resolve it. (I already knew that we needed to open ports on the firewall but I have no idea what ports their software requires).

After several hours of troubleshooting he proudly proclaims that he "might have found the problem" and then points to the fact that you can't reach the website even on the server that hosts it.
Like an rear end in a top hat, I said, "if you know what the problem is, then why isn't it fixed?"
Bro if we wanted you to troubleshoot it we would have asked you to figure it out, not to contact support. Instead you just wasted all that time to tell us what we already know and still haven't even taken any steps to resolve it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Not pissing me off: when I got bumped from Desktop Support to my current ops hybrid/sysadmin-level role, there were a bunch of hacked-together Access macros on one of our servers that I wanted to phase out. I replaced most of them with simple SQL scripts, but a couple of them were built off of queries querying queries, and I wasn't really good enough to unravel them; today, they broke for the second time in a few months, and I sat down and tried to crack into them again, and knocked one of them out in a couple of hours. The other one will be a little rougher, but I'm pretty sure I can do it. It'll let me uninstall Office from the server, simplify patching significantly, and further centralize/standardize our automation.

Also not pissing me off: a manager in another department--probably the person who I bump heads with more than anyone else in my office--has put in their two weeks. This is a person who has been there for, like, 30 years; I figured that they would be hauled out in a casket.

Pissing me off: I had nearly three weeks off planned starting tomorrow for a trip to Japan. Had to cancel due to stuff closing down in Japan. :(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Migrated a fileserver.

Folder X has permissions from its parents, as well as Read permissions for group "Aholes" applied to "this folder only".

X
- Yyy
-- Zzz

Folder Yyy has modify permissions for "Bholes".
When I add ANY permissions to folder Zzz as an admin and then delete that folder, the permissions on folder X for group "Aholes" disappear. Those permissions do not show up on Yyy or Zzz...

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Shut up Meg posted:

Now I am being 100% real about this situation.

Never say "that was easier than killing a prostitute".

Especially when your boss is within earshot. AND ESPECIALLY when your boss was charged for killing a prostitute in Canada and the news of the historical charges were just seeping over to Australia where he was running a newspaper. I've pretty well doxxed myself for anyone digging enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The way some of you talk at work is loving insane to me. Joking about murdering sex workers? What the gently caress is wrong with you?