Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's been one of the harder games to emulate despite the engine being so common during that console gen. I can't remember what it was, but I think it was a really dumb issue that the devs of the PS2 emulator eventually managed to overcome, but the game might be a huge resource hog to run as a result. I got curious a couple years ago and searched on YouTube and it looked impressive however, they had it running at higher resolutions and it seemed to just be the sky box that was busted?

Edit: First hit on YouTube, 4k 60FPS :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVswdR_iCY

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, the BC program has been great with some real standouts, but there's some games that I really miss playing and get the urge to buy a 360/XB for, like Jet Set Radio Future, Burnout 3, PGR 4 and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010 (which is on PC, but all the DLC is console-only). It'll probably never happen but I hope that once the next console generation starts that Microsoft maybe restart the BC program and see what else they can bring back.

the fact that microsoft never pushed for new JSRF (for all I know this one could be up to sega/fighting over exclusive status/does sega still do console exclusives?), panzer dragoon, crimson skies, red faction, or perfect dark titles during any of the 360/bone era baffles me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

the fact that microsoft never pushed for new JSRF (for all I know this one could be up to sega/fighting over exclusive status/does sega still do console exclusives?), panzer dragoon, crimson skies, red faction, or perfect dark titles during any of the 360/bone era baffles me

They genuinely forgot how to make games. They have so much wasted IP, it's baffling.

(PD:Zero was a 360 title tho)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

If I could have a 4K60 version of Burnout 3 (I already have that for Burnout 2 via Dolphin) I could die a happy man.

Please let me die already Microsoft. I'm begging you.

Dangerous Driving is Burnout 3 in 4k60/all but name.

I mean, its as close as we will ever really get I Fear.

SUNKOS posted:

It's been one of the harder games to emulate despite the engine being so common during that console gen. I can't remember what it was, but I think it was a really dumb issue that the devs of the PS2 emulator eventually managed to overcome, but the game might be a huge resource hog to run as a result. I got curious a couple years ago and searched on YouTube and it looked impressive however, they had it running at higher resolutions and it seemed to just be the sky box that was busted?

Edit: First hit on YouTube, 4k 60FPS :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVswdR_iCY

this and dangerous driving dont quite feel the same as the OG burnout 3 running on a pS2 (obviously). without the smeary motion blur it kinda feels a bit sterile.

Burnout revenge backcompat has always been my preferred burnout experience and to a lesser extent Paradise Remastered.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm the biggest Burnouthead alive and while I had high hopes for DD and enjoyed it for a bit on release, it's just not even close to the same experience. The sense of speed is really good but the generic engine and models combined with the atrocious physics engine just makes me wish I was playing a real Burnout game.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They're making a sequel to DD and it's going to be open world like Paradise :smith:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'm the biggest Burnouthead alive and while I had high hopes for DD and enjoyed it for a bit on release, it's just not even close to the same experience. The sense of speed is really good but the generic engine and models combined with the atrocious physics engine just makes me wish I was playing a real Burnout game.

i found the sense of speed to be lacking. The UI is basically ripped straight from B3:T though.

having one.single.song. in the entire game was a poor decision.

SUNKOS posted:

They're making a sequel to DD and it's going to be open world like Paradise :smith:

really? god drat it. Paradise is OK, and definitely was to Burnout what the Black Album was to Metallica, but I really just want another high-intensity arcade racer.

I saw something about the most recent NFS game being poorly received and EA announcing that the next game will be done by Criterion. which is interesting because EA already poached all the guys from Criterion years ago for NFS games and put them in Ghost Games to exclusively make NFS games. Theres no one from the original criterion at criterion any more as far as I can tell so Im not sure what they are hoping for.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Laserface posted:

I saw something about the most recent NFS game being poorly received and EA announcing that the next game will be done by Criterion. which is interesting because EA already poached all the guys from Criterion years ago for NFS games and put them in Ghost Games to exclusively make NFS games. Theres no one from the original criterion at criterion any more as far as I can tell so Im not sure what they are hoping for.

They're hoping that the rebranding tricks people, that's all. It will still be all the same people making the next NFS game, but they'll say it's a different studio to try and ditch the baggage that Ghost Games has of being the worst NFS developer.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

If I could have a 4K60 version of Burnout 3 (I already have that for Burnout 2 via Dolphin) I could die a happy man.

Please let me die already Microsoft. I'm begging you.

Agreed on both points.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

After a decade of awful laggy UI they finally fixed it with the newest update.

Thank loving god.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

incoherent posted:

Thank loving god.

It seems the source of lag was moving right and left again. It seems better and much worse than the PS4 interface still, and I can't really figure out why.
Console UI's peaked with the PS3 + dynamic themes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

incoherent posted:

Thank loving god.

Also now you can get rid of the Mixer and Community and Gamepass tabs.

There's still a bit of lag when scrolling through your list of games though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

It seems the source of lag was moving right and left again. It seems better and much worse than the PS4 interface still, and I can't really figure out why.
Console UI's peaked with the PS3 + dynamic themes.

I have an intense soft spot for the Xbox Classic's UI; it was just so aggressively purposefully green and ugly

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I want to be able to customise the startup back to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ebJZUOtL8

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So I just came up and was given an Xbox One and I’ve never had any Xbox before.

What’s the easiest way to play a Halo on this?

2. What are some other must haves on this thing?

I’ve mainly been a Nintendo and PC player my whole life with some Playstations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Do you want to own halos forever?

yes - buy it outright with a key from an online vendor
no - sign up for game pass

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
We don’t do ‘must haves’ we do ‘got given a free Xbox one so I’m an Xbox man baby’

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get Gamepass.

After that, uh, you have a switch and a PC so like youre pretty much set, but I must implore you to buy a copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I have the impression the UI is made of different apps the console have to launch, instead of a single app or something that is always loaded. And the apps themselves made with web technology, or something equally expensive. Then the design has not clear direction, or the direction is wrong. Then they don't do a usability pass to figure out what don't work or is hard to use to fix these parts. Maybe they don't care or the budget is not enough for these usability pass.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 27, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will admit it, saving the game in Yakuza 0 not taking multiple steps and instead being near instant has been the hardest adjustment.

Also the game seems to run at higher resolution than I remember it being, was their a PS4 Pro patch?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

I will admit it, saving the game in Yakuza 0 not taking multiple steps and instead being near instant has been the hardest adjustment.

Also the game seems to run at higher resolution than I remember it being, was their a PS4 Pro patch?
What's the save/load interface look like?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Akuma posted:

What's the save/load interface look like?

A thin box covers the maybe middle 1/5th the screen listing all your saves + make a new save options. You dont even leave the main game to do it and theres no mutliple loading to of things to access where the save happens, its ridiculous. 0/10

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Get gamepass!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

As others have said, Gamepass is probably a good first step, you can get your first month for $1 or some such. You get I think all of the Microsoft-made games on it (they get added to Gamepass Day One, although without any DLC, you still have to pay for that generally), and 100 or so other titles of varying quality and age which rotate in and out regularly. If you're going to be playing online and/or want to also leverage getting games via Gamepass on a Windows 10 PC, you can get Gamepass Ultimate which includes all three services for I think $15 a month, however if you decide you like Gamepass and want to stack it for a while, I think you can still get however many months/years of just XBL Gold you want, and then pay $1 to upgrade that time in a 1:1 exchange with Gamepass Ultimate (this option goes away once you've signed up for Gamepass Ultimate at all, though). Even at full price it's a lot more cost-efficient for "bulk" subscription-style gaming than most other avenues, though. You may be better served by PS Now if you have a PS4, though, its library is different but has a lot more titles (over 800, which includes a selection of PS3 games that have to be streamed from remote servers; the PS4 titles you can choose to download and play locally), and if you want to play PS Now titles online you don't need to pay for PS+ on top of that (you do for Gamepass Basic, but not Gamepass on PC or Gamepass Ultimate).

If your PC is recent and you still like playing there, you're probably better off continuing with PC versions of games since unless you have an Xbox One X, the XB1 and XB1S performance is bit rough with many games not hitting 1080p resolution, especially at 60fps. But if your PC's getting long in the tooth and having a tough time with recent titles you can have a look at some of those, like Red Dead Redemption 2 for example. Also if you've never played a Yakuza game before, Yakuza 0 is on Gamepass and is new on Xbox One. They're committed to releasing the follow-ups Yakuza 1 (Kiwami) and Yakuza Kiwami 2 on XB1, however Yakuza 3-7 and the spinoff game "Judgment" are currently PS4-only with no other platforms announced.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I personally recommend you the roguelikes in the gamepass. Really good stuff there even if you are not a fan of roguelikes.

Childrens of Morta, Dead Cells, ... to name 2 from the top of my head, but theres many.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

A thin box covers the maybe middle 1/5th the screen listing all your saves + make a new save options. You dont even leave the main game to do it and theres no mutliple loading to of things to access where the save happens, its ridiculous. 0/10

Boo. I was hoping to see the dark truths at the core of the xbox experience laid bare

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Say it with me boys... Xbox stays winning.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Re: Gamepass

Outer Wilds is also a gamepass must play
Outer World not so much, but still alright

Doom, Void Bastards, Ori, Forza Horizons 4 are all also good

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

I have a feeling that Yakuza 0 looks sharper than on the PS4? Maybe I’m imagining things. Should fire them up and watch side by side.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eravulgaris posted:

I have a feeling that Yakuza 0 looks sharper than on the PS4? Maybe I’m imagining things. Should fire them up and watch side by side.

Pretty sure it is at least on an X. Maybe thet 16x AF?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

hanyolo posted:

Re: Gamepass

Outer Wilds is also a gamepass must play
Outer World not so much, but still alright

Doom, Void Bastards, Ori, Forza Horizons 4 are all also good

Plus the new Ori comes out in 2 weeks time

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

eravulgaris posted:

There's a handful of Japanese developed games that somehow look better on base PS4 vs One X despite any other game that's properly optimized being superior on the X. Lazy development for a console that doesn't matter in Japan lol.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’ve got a weird hankering for a jrpg. I literally have not played one for more than half an hour since ffvii

any good recommendations on game pass?

(Not kh3)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Literally any of the plethora of Final Fantasys

serious answer: Edge of Eternity when (if) its released

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is Conker 64 in that Rare Replay dealeo?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Yes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I forget if its in the collection or if they give you a key to a separate copy of it. At any rate im pretty sure if you buy replay you get conker and get to bask in how incredibly bad your taste was at 14

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Does that Conker include the Nazi/Jew hunting mini game that they got rid of in the rerelease? That was actually the most fun multiplayer mode in the original game but I can see why they canned it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hambeet posted:

I’ve got a weird hankering for a jrpg. I literally have not played one for more than half an hour since ffvii

any good recommendations on game pass?

(Not kh3)

All the Final Fantasies are coming to it. I think Earthlock is on there as well but its not very good.

Oh Indivisible is on gamepass right now too. Its not a great game but the art is pretty its cultural trappings ar unique on the market and it is Valkyrie Profile esque but mechanically not so good.

Do not spend your hard earned money on Stranger or Sword City

univbee posted:

Pretty sure it is at least on an X. Maybe thet 16x AF?

Someone on ResetEra was claiming its running in 1440 instead of 1080 so its possible they used the PC version as the base instead of Ps4. Would explain the save system working as one would expect instead of tunneling through the Xbox's innards