Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MA-Horus posted:

Insert that clip from "The Longest Day" here.

"A thousand ships you say? The allies don't even have that many ships. Where are they going?"
"STRAIGHT AT US!"

This reminds me how poo poo an actor John Wayne actually was outside of garbage westerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

My thought is the baseline of cases is about 1000 if the death count is accurate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This reminds me how poo poo an actor John Wayne actually was outside of garbage westerns.

That and he was just a poo poo person overall

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, he was a terrible human being that deserves nothing but to have his grave covered in horse poo poo daily from here until eternia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It is far more likely they haven’t found people who lived with little or no symptoms than that the mortality jumped to 10%.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
And that sample size is way too low to get anything close to a reliable figure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mlmp08 posted:

It is far more likely they haven’t found people who lived with little or no symptoms than that the mortality jumped to 10%.

This is certainly the case. Younger healthy people who contract aren't getting very ill. The actual infection numbers are significantly higher than any reported numbers simply because there are quite a few asymptomatic carriers out there.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CommieGIR posted:

Can confirm this.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CommieGIR posted:

When I was a kid my dad was driving me somewhere on the freeway. I saw a sign for John Wayne airport and started laughing my rear end off because I thought it was ridiculous. My dad looked at me like I was insane.

Adulthood has proved me correct in my assessment.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CommieGIR posted:

never ever miss an opportunity to remind old chuds that he was a draft dodger

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

never ever miss an opportunity to remind old chuds that he was a draft dodger

And that he was likely killed by the US nuclear program.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
At least he wasn't Reagan, so angered that WW2 hosed up his film career that he made his life's work to destroy the United States.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

A Bad Poster posted:

And that he was likely killed by the US nuclear program.

lol gonna need a brief primer on this one, thanks in advance

and, before anyone points out he was too old to draft (as the chuds will do when you bring it up), I need to say that John Ford was like twenty years older than him, directed most of his goodest movies, AND joined and served honorably during ww2 making training films and newsreels, while John Wayne minced about on sound stages paying dues to the screen actors guild

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

lol gonna need a brief primer on this one, thanks in advance

They filmed a movie called The Conqueror downwind of a nuclear testing site, and breathing in radioactive dust isn't bad at all. They also took a bunch of the sand back to Hollywood to use on soundstages. Within 10 or 15 years almost half of the people who worked on the film had cancer, and about a quarter had died.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It's almost as if there's possibly a predisposition in loud, conservative, racist assholes to be total cowards. Hard to believe, though, given all the recent evidence.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

ded posted:

When I was a kid my dad was driving me somewhere on the freeway. I saw a sign for John Wayne airport and started laughing my rear end off because I thought it was ridiculous. My dad looked at me like I was insane.

Adulthood has proved me correct in my assessment.

There is a 10 foot tall statue of him right outside the entrance.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

They filmed a movie called The Conqueror downwind of a nuclear testing site, and breathing in radioactive dust isn't bad at all. They also took a bunch of the sand back to Hollywood to use on soundstages. Within 10 or 15 years almost half of the people who worked on the film had cancer, and about a quarter had died.

Someone looked into and the crew was within a few percent of general population cancer baseline. Wayne however had a multiple pack a day cigarette habit. So I think that is a better thing to place blame on.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Alaan posted:

Someone looked into and the crew was within a few percent of general population cancer baseline. Wayne however had a multiple pack a day cigarette habit. So I think that is a better thing to place blame on.

Got a link? 45% getting cancer seems a little high to me.

Edit: the obscene number of cigarettes probably didn't help, regardless.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 28, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I've seen this video pop up a few times, heard the coughing, and was like "hmmm, that's not ideal".

See if you can spot the moment where I said AAAAAAAAA out loud and decided y'all needed to see this poo poo too.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1233423437286211585?s=19

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

maffew buildings posted:

It's almost as if there's possibly a predisposition in loud, conservative, racist assholes to be total cowards. Hard to believe, though, given all the recent evidence.

That can’t be right, just look at Ted Nugent!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I've seen this video pop up a few times, heard the coughing, and was like "hmmm, that's not ideal".

See if you can spot the moment where I said AAAAAAAAA out loud and decided y'all needed to see this poo poo too.

Oh, I know which part because I was like :stare: immediately.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To be fair, you do have a cough for like 3 weeks after you stop being contagious with normal influenza strains, it really trashes your lungs.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

Got a link? 45% getting cancer seems a little high to me.

Edit: the obscene number of cigarettes probably didn't help, regardless.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4238

quote:

According to the National Cancer Institute, in 1980 the chances of being diagnosed with a cancer sometime in your lifetime was about 41%, with mortality at 21.7%. And, right on the button, People's survey of The Conqueror's crew found a 41.4% incidence with 20.7% mortality. (These numbers make an assumption of an age group of 20-55 at the time of filming.)

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Alright, fair enough. That's shocking to me that you had practically a 50/50 chance of getting cancer not that long ago.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Humans weren't really meant to live to 70+ and poo poo gets wack when you get up there in years even ignoring any extra factors.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A Bad Poster posted:

Alright, fair enough. That's shocking to me that you had practically a 50/50 chance of getting cancer not that long ago.

This (can be) a good thing wrapped in a terrifying package. Cancer is what gets you when nothing else does.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

Don't feel bad for that rear end in a top hat. He has a gofundme to "cover medical expenses" but then admitted that the government is footing the bill. He's a grifter.

Here he is (post stolen from gbs we're all gonna die thread)

And one more

https://twitter.com/InveniaMia/status/1233467245378052097?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1233457760781635584?s=20

Guess I missed the Article 4 news, cool great

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol I forgot Turkey bought those S400s or whatever.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

For those that correctly don't read DnD here's a summation of recent events in the Syrian area by noted CIA asset and accessory to murder Brown Moses

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

That's still your lifetime risk of cancer

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/risk/lifetime-risk

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lots of people die of weird poo poo before old age, cancer of any variety stands a good chance of getting anyone for a lot of reasons. Maybe you smoke, maybe you chew on knock-off tupperware, maybe diesel exhaust is all you breath at work. Most people don't make it to 70 or 80, they die from environmental causes, accidents, suicides, overdoses, etc.

Cancer having a 50/50 shot if you make it to old age shouldn't be surprising. poo poo, how many times has RBG had cancer now?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol I forgot Turkey bought those S400s or whatever.

:lol: forever if the S-400s ID'd the Russian aircraft as friendly while bombing Turkish troops.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Weird. I don't think I know anyone who's ever had cancer.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lots of people die of weird poo poo before old age, cancer of any variety stands a good chance of getting anyone for a lot of reasons. Maybe you smoke, maybe you chew on knock-off tupperware, maybe diesel exhaust is all you breath at work. Most people don't make it to 70 or 80, they die from environmental causes, accidents, suicides, overdoses, etc.

Cancer having a 50/50 shot if you make it to old age shouldn't be surprising. poo poo, how many times has RBG had cancer now?

Water signs are emotional and intense, intuitive and compassionate.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

hobbesmaster posted:

:lol: forever if the S-400s ID'd the Russian aircraft as friendly while bombing Turkish troops.

I thought someone said that's exactly what happened?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A Bad Poster posted:

You ever heard of people dying of old age?

Yeah that’s cancer now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

piL posted:

Water signs are emotional and intense, intuitive and compassionate.

This just makes me think you're sitting surrounded by those water fountain rock gardens that Big Lots and the like would sell a decade ago. Sharper Image poo poo, I think.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1233180199648407554

RIP destroyer lifesaver goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

pkells posted:

Trump’s rally is taking place across the street from my office today. The parking lot opened yesterday morning at 7am and people were lined up waiting to get in. Drove in this morning and saw dozens of tents set up in line. Half of our office is working from home today just so they don’t have to deal with it.

I do respect all the merch salesmen who set up tents and tables all around the area to sell lovely hats and Trump-Rambo flags to the chuds walking past. They probably make a killing following these rallies around the country.

I feel bad for the employees of the golden coral next door. They’re gonna get swamped today.

Corrowl
I saw the worst minds of the Me Generation destroyed by Obama, slavering hysterical MAGA’d, Rascalling themselves through the suburban streets at dawn looking for a fast Fox fix,
redhatted grifters jonesing for the senior discount connection to the chocolate wonderfall at the Golden Corral,
who brotrucked and Chargered and glass-eyed on oxy and basking in the disability checks of their children’s futures gloating behind the backs of wage slaves contemplating Rahowa,
who burned their brains on Rush under the Gipper and saw völkisch angels carting catsup to the carving station,
who rolled by the salad bar with deep fried stares hallucinating valor for entry level separations and scheming at war,
who were expelled from the brass bell for birthing genocide with strawberry and warm wet sweating gummy bodies,
who grunted in unmopped bathrooms in sweatpants, overflowing stools and wastebaskets embodying the Terror behind the stall,
who sheared their y’all qaeda beards shambling into Charleston to fawn before the smoothed cheeto benito,
and with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies they came to eat a thousand years.

(with apologies to AG)