Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uncurable mlady posted:

hn posters are extremely dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

hn posters are extremely dumb

jimmaswell 10 hours ago [-]

That psychological tricks like this are necessary to make people see that 1+1=2 makes me feel hopeless that humanity can ever reach the level of Star Trek without some kind of genetic engineering or letting AI take over. The vast majority of people are like this, incapable of reasoning through anything, only defending the views they grew up with or that they ascribe to their "tribe" by any means possible, never taking a Planck unit of time to self-reflect. There's some respite on select internet corners but even those have their pockets of crazies.
I recently had to regrettably leave a fandom Discord server because a sizable portion of the populace including the admin devolved into screeching banshees with no capacity for rational thought at some /slightly different/ view than they preferred being posted in their politics channel, and I could no longer justify expending any energy trying to engage in a reasonable fashion with these people or supporting a server with such a rotten administration I'd lost all respect for. I wonder if those of us who can consider ideas without throwing ourselves on the floor in a tantrum over the fact someone disagreed with us should just move to another planet then come back and conquer Earth in the five years it would take us to develop the capacity to do so without such people in our way.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dude probably used the hard 'r'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

dude probably used the hard 'r'

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

nothing says "not throwing a tantrum" like a plan to leave earth with an imagined legion of smart clever people much like yourself, so you can return with the physical force to prove everyone who laughed at you wrong

mystes
May 31, 2006

josh04 posted:

nothing says "not throwing a tantrum" like a plan to leave earth with an imagined legion of smart clever people much like yourself, so you can return with the physical force to prove everyone who laughed at you wrong
OTOH, let's send people like this to mars if they want to go.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
they can demonstrate lifting themselves up by their bootstraps there

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

salisbury shake posted:

been a while since i saw a "throw a startup at it" this tone deaf

justinzollars 9 hours ago [-]

We have had the sequence of the COVID-19 for over a month. Are you guys, on hackernews, are telling me there isn't a single startup - not one - that could develop a more effective test to fill this gap? The virus when it comes, will not discriminate between Republican and Democrat. But developing a better test could save lives.

i've started on a react/nodejs spa with communication through websockets, bootstrap with some custom css for branding, i'm thinking maybe two weeks for productionizing, running super lean

i've stubbed in some detection code for now, does anyone know what's a good dna sequencer you can call from javascript?

code:
function hasCovid19(patientId) {
  // todo: hire a bioengineer to check this
  // later: can machine learning help here?
  return shell.execute("grep -R $COVID19SEQUENCE /data/" + patientId + "/all_detected_dna/")
}

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

suffix posted:

i've started on a react/nodejs spa with communication through websockets, bootstrap with some custom css for branding, i'm thinking maybe two weeks for productionizing, running super lean

i've stubbed in some detection code for now, does anyone know what's a good dna sequencer you can call from javascript?

code:
function hasCovid19(patientId) {
  // todo: hire a bioengineer to check this
  // later: can machine learning help here?
  return shell.execute("grep -R $COVID19SEQUENCE /data/" + patientId + "/all_detected_dna/")
}

looks nice - you just need to cast result to bool and you're good to go

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

good stuff but look into using ES6 async/await

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

fritz posted:

jimmaswell 10 hours ago [-]

That psychological tricks like this are necessary to make people see that 1+1=2 makes me feel hopeless that humanity can ever reach the level of Star Trek without some kind of genetic engineering or letting AI take over. The vast majority of people are like this, incapable of reasoning through anything, only defending the views they grew up with or that they ascribe to their "tribe" by any means possible, never taking a Planck unit of time to self-reflect. There's some respite on select internet corners but even those have their pockets of crazies.
I recently had to regrettably leave a fandom Discord server because a sizable portion of the populace including the admin devolved into screeching banshees with no capacity for rational thought at some /slightly different/ view than they preferred being posted in their politics channel, and I could no longer justify expending any energy trying to engage in a reasonable fashion with these people or supporting a server with such a rotten administration I'd lost all respect for. I wonder if those of us who can consider ideas without throwing ourselves on the floor in a tantrum over the fact someone disagreed with us should just move to another planet then come back and conquer Earth in the five years it would take us to develop the capacity to do so without such people in our way.

i'm almost wondering if this was the cryptofascist I saw get banned in a place a while back.
also protip: politics channels are bad. It's universally either people who agree, circlejerking, or those that don't yelling at eachother.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
on "Open-source “pandemic ventilator” (instructables.com)"

popotamonga posted:

Can you actually buy a consumer ventilator? I would see myself paying up to 10k for a ventilator to have at home just in case...

mjmdavis posted:

Doing this could deprive hundreds of people of a life saving device.

anonuser123456 posted:

Prices and consumption signal producers the relative importance of a good. Its better for people to drive prices up so suppliers can respond appropriately.
Right now it makes sense for instance for defense companies (eg large manufacturing corps) to partner with med corps (who's supply chains are in shambles) to start cranking these our.
But they won't unless the profit/market is there for it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Nomnom Cookie posted:

beep boop my lust for mass death is entirely rational and untainted by humanity

I just became convinced that any GAI that is created will indeed come out as a total monster.

I mean can you imagine being raised by and having to talk solely to techbros? christ

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Imagine watching Star Trek's extremely anti-eugenics, anti-slavery, "let people thrive on their own terms", "work for the common good", "every life has intrinsic value", "respect people's boundaries" message and thinking "yeah, eugenics is good actually, we should enslave earth, gently caress those people because they wouldn't let me encroach on their boundaries"

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 1, 2020

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

honestly the way modern star trek is and how far from roddenberry it's come people can draw that conclusion.

these people watch DS9 but not TOS and think section 31 is the good guys.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

on "Open-source “pandemic ventilator” (instructables.com)"

They just want to be in the gulag

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ruinedurnight/status/1234612815786319872

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zoomers are all right

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Malcolm XML posted:

Zoomers are all right

Give me hope for the future of humanity

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

LinuxBender 1 hour ago [-]

It is interesting to me that people are so laser focused on test kits and vaccines. In my less than humble opinion, people should focus on improving their immune system. You can reduce the load on your immune system by not eating sugar and reducing carbs as much as you can.

The real pros, of course, go Full Lobster in their diet and thus become immune to virus infections.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

now see if it were me i simply wouldn't get sick in the first place

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PIZZA.BAT posted:

now see if it were me i simply wouldn't get sick in the first place

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

dingribanda posted:

In some parts of Africa, growing khat is more lucrative than growing food. This causes acute food shortages. I am not sure how this is going to affect growing food, if cannabis is more lucrative than growing food.

Koremat6666 posted:

> growing khat is more lucrative than growing food
Could you please clarify more ? I think I am missing something. If khat pays more wouldn't it mean you can sell khat and buy food with that money ?

lomarf that people apparently cannot read

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nah you just don't understand, you get the food from the free market.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It seems you just don’t understand how the market works. When food becomes scarcer, prices go up so farmers produce more and make more money in the process. Then poors become incentivized to not being poor so they can still afford food. Everybody wins, and khat becomes cheaper by comparison.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what do you mean the free market isn't a literal physical thing like Boyce thinks the App Store is?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
on autonomous shipping

predictmktegirl 3 hours ago [-]

With how much money everyone is spending, wouldn't it just be cheaper to build a private cross-country interstate where only AI drivers are allowed. Let humans drive the trucks to this interstate then let the AI take over. It seems like almost all the edge cases would be solved if you just got rid of other human drivers and let the vehicles network with one another.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
yeah should unironically be putting more money into trains

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

predictmktegirl 3 hours ago [-]

With how much money everyone is spending, wouldn't it just be cheaper to build a private cross-country interstate where only AI drivers are allowed. Let humans drive the trucks to this interstate then let the AI take over. It seems like almost all the edge cases would be solved if you just got rid of other human drivers and let the vehicles network with one another.

this takes an incredible amount of subject blindness

gee how do we make sure a driver is available for both endpoints on a journey? clearly it's impossible to just, put the driver in the vehicle for the duration of the journey...

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that and a complete unfamiliarity with the high capital costs of private right of way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

that and a complete unfamiliarity with the high capital costs of private right of way

jesus, yeah.

i missed the forest for the trees on this one

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think this idea could actually work though, we just need to workshop it a bit.

*erases the last three letters of "truck", slowly starts to draw "a i n" in their place*

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this takes an incredible amount of subject blindness

gee how do we make sure a driver is available for both endpoints on a journey? clearly it's impossible to just, put the driver in the vehicle for the duration of the journey...

eh, that bit makes sense. drivers can work locally shuttling cargo to the train, then go home at night instead of living in a truck for a week

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Qwertycoatl posted:

eh, that bit makes sense. drivers can work locally shuttling cargo to the train, then go home at night instead of living in a truck for a week

except then you have to line up another driver to be available on the other end

if you are comfortable lining up local drivers on either end of a long automated link, that's normally called "intermodal transport" and is already available at a very reasonable price from your favorite rail lines

it doesn't require any self-driving magic or private right-of-ways

----

self-driving trucks, if they existed (and they never will) would only be a driver-assistance technology to make it easier to survive federal limitations on waking hours

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
the hackers are discussing a study on universal basic income that showed people continue to work even if they receive ubi. here's the current third comment from the top:

sabarn01 1 minute ago [-]

People should fear being destitute its the natural human condition. Learning skills is the only way to make wealth.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
truly "tough" to watch

csa 20 minutes ago [-]

I’m guessing you don’t know many people who were born into wealth.
The skill that they must learn is how not to lose the money.

This skill is difficult to sustain over more than a generation or two — grandparent earns it, parent might keep it, child usually ends up destitute both in terms of financial capital and social capital.

If the “child” in this scenario is lucky, they have some social capital that will save them, and their branch of the family tree is at an inflection point.

Seeing a family self-destruct like this is tough to watch and surprisingly common within that class of people.

a0zU 1 hour ago [-]

There are absolutely people who would contribute to society in other ways but there are also people who would not work, not contribute and, sit in their rooms all day not having the will to do anything but debate with strangers on internet forums(lol). In my opinion the problem with UBI is that it would take away the necessity for people to do something to survive and it would make a significant minority of the population miserable because they wouldn't have to do anything but consume.

ctdonath 2 hours ago [-]

Problem is the lack of colloquial objective definition of "poor".
The US "poverty line" is at 80th percentile of world incomes. The US's vast welfare/entitlement system ensures few indeed net less than that line, shoring up their shortfall with trillions of $.

What constitutes "poor" keeps shifting. There will always be a bottom 10%. There is ongoing increase to the standard of living, instilling a sense of "nobody should go without X" (when X didn't exist not long before, broadband internet being the latest). Affordable housing gets overrun by population growth & attracting mobile opportunity-seekers, living space naturally going to the highest bidder; property taxes being a thing, there is no recognized natural right to real estate. Health care relentlessly advances, new lifesaving care objectively costing a great deal ... vs a public sentiment of a right thereto.

We need an objective redefinition of "poor", predicated on a baseline of nutrition, housing floorspace, basic tools (stove, disposal, etc), care (minimum optimistic odds of longevity), information access, etc and an understanding that the baseline cannot be shifted - that those doing better are not poor, that accessibility thereto is largely attainable (whatever the sociopolitical system), and acknowledgement that when/if all are above that line, poverty services are officially out of a job.

As it stands, "poor" is a moving target for which a great number of people have a vested interest in covering a consistent, if not growing, population.

salisbury shake fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 5, 2020

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
being able to mind your own business at home and not starve or become homeless: miserable
relying on a minimum wage job which you could lose at any time to not starve or become homeless: liberating

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Not a post on hacker news, but a post on (Less Wronger) Gwern's blog:

Hold on. What's that?

Zoom.

Enhance

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull