Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Turns out doctors and nurses are racists too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Seems pretty straight forward actually

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Luckyellow posted:

Turns out doctors and nurses are racists too.

Oh yeah, that much is obvious. It sounded like medical racism was something a bit more specific.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's like how a lot of poc side stepped a lot of the prescription opioid bullshit because doctors don't rate poc's pain as real

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oh yeah, that much is obvious. It sounded like medical racism was something a bit more specific.

i mean there's the broad strokes and then there's the mortality rate of black women in child birth, so yeah that too

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

hallelujah posted:

i will always remember that in the first two months of the coronavirus, until it started killing white people, a solid 50% of media reports were just handwringing on how it was going to affect the stock market

I mean, at this point it's killed far less people than like a hundred other more common diseases, but has managed to create the largest fall of the stock market in american history. The properties of the disease make it way more scary in how disruptive it is compared to how fatal it is.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:cripes: allow me to translate

people in marginalised communities experience a lifelong deficit in medical care due to the unconscious bigotry of medical staff. as a result, they suffer more poorly-treated chronic conditions, and are in poorer overall health as a result

coronavirus mostly kills people in poor overall health. who is going to suffer most from coronavirus, and be least in a position to protect themselves?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i've got a whole ton of margin and extra cash just waiting to deploy when the real extent of the outbreaks in the USA becomes plainly apparent

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, at this point it's killed far less people than like a hundred other more common diseases, but has managed to create the largest fall of the stock market in american history.

I think that's more to do with the utterly incompetent response by the Trump administration, up to and including telling people that Coronavirus is a hoax made up by Democrats to hurt Trump's re-election chances.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/aliostad/status/1233668766124400640?s=19

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Markets hate uncertainty and we've got uncertainty coming out of our ears right now. Trump's not the cause, but he's definitely contributing since there's no coherent message coming out of the White House.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, at this point it's killed far less people than like a hundred other more common diseases, but has managed to create the largest fall of the stock market in american history. The properties of the disease make it way more scary in how disruptive it is compared to how fatal it is.

I've seen a few people emphasize that it's hardly killed anyone and like yeah sure that's true, but it also hasn't impacted like 99% of the places it is going to impact.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
even if it wasnt deadly at all, just imagine the kind of economic slow down in your area when like half the people just arent there .

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm most looking forward to seeing what ponzi schemes collapse as a result of this, I find it hard to believe there aren't at least some that are going to come crashing down.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

this tweet is almost-unsourced (he adds some photos and such later in the thread)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

That’s some Captain Trips poo poo right there

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

guess the next division game has a new setting.

but seriously, thats loving terrifying. dont they have a pretty good medical system.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but seriously, thats loving terrifying. dont they have a pretty good medical system.

the sanctions have been not-good for it

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/iransource/how-us-sanctions-hinder-iranians-access-to-medicine/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I've seen a few people emphasize that it's hardly killed anyone and like yeah sure that's true, but it also hasn't impacted like 99% of the places it is going to impact.

Sure, but the main feature of this disease seems to be how disruptive it is, since containing it requires pretty drastic disruptive measures not that this disease is super ultra fatal or is going to get the highest kill count. Like the whole "biggest drop in the stock market in human history" thing is kinda the sort of effect a disease like this has, it has required shutting down a LOT of stuff in a really dramatic way already, but compared to lots of diseases the actual death count isn't super high.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure, but the main feature of this disease seems to be how disruptive it is, since containing it requires pretty drastic disruptive measures not that this disease is super ultra fatal or is going to get the highest kill count. Like the whole "biggest drop in the stock market in human history" thing is kinda the sort of effect a disease like this has, it has required shutting down a LOT of stuff in a really dramatic way already, but compared to lots of diseases the actual death count isn't super high.

If we lived in a 1919 society where indoor plumbing was a luxury and doctors only understood basic germ theory I have a feeling this virus would be a lot more deadly.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this tweet is almost-unsourced (he adds some photos and such later in the thread)

after speaking with a bunch of iranians with family currently in iran, it seems this guy is mostly making up hype, it's not remotely as bad as "country is about to collapse any day now", but yeah the word is that some MPs and clergymen have died from the disease. mostly the people are scared but having endured the past 4 decades they are pretty resilient.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

qhat posted:

after speaking with a bunch of iranians with family currently in iran, it seems this guy is mostly making up hype, it's not remotely as bad as "country is about to collapse any day now", but yeah the word is that some MPs and clergymen have died from the disease. mostly the people are scared but having endured the past 4 decades they are pretty resilient.

That's reassuring, thank you.

My bad on sharing fear-mongering.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's reassuring, thank you.

My bad on sharing fear-mongering.

I suspect we will see a fair amount of it in the days ahead.

Also, that Chinese video of "machines on over-time" looks like it was shot a decade ago at 144p and pretty much every Chinese phone sold in the last 5 years can do HD video. It may be real or may just people have throw some old footage they came across for a tweet. Also, there is no way to verify where it was shot and is about 20 seconds long.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If we lived in a 1919 society where indoor plumbing was a luxury and doctors only understood basic germ theory I have a feeling this virus would be a lot more deadly.

Eh, being super lethal just doesn’t seem like this specific diseases deal. Like even for 80+ patients the death rate is quite low. The massive disruption this requires to control seems like the really important part.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Eh, being super lethal just doesn’t seem like this specific diseases deal. Like even for 80+ patients the death rate is quite low. The massive disruption this requires to control seems like the really important part.

The big issue is that American society (nearly living memory) is not prepared for the type of sacrifices that this is going to take, the closet thing is Second World War and that was not on our own soil.

I think it is baked in at this point there will be a pandemic, including the US, there are already multiple points of potential outbreaks in the continental US itself and it may be weeks until the Federal government is forced to recognize it isn't "political theatre" and by then it will be far too late to contain.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It can't be understated how ridiculously deadly the spanish flu pandemic was. Like people would start showing symptoms in the morning, develop pneumonia by lunch and be dead by the evening. This isn't that by a long shot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

qhat posted:

It can't be understated how ridiculously deadly the spanish flu pandemic was. Like people would get the flu, develop pneumonia on the same day as symptoms started showing and be dead by the evening. This isn't that by a long shot.

Also they were previously healthy spry 30 year olds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There were mass graves in NYC and people would steal other families’ coffins.

We’ve got 100 years of medical technology since then so... :shrug:

The news getting leaked out of North Korea isn’t terribly good. You’d think the hermit kingdom would fare pretty well except their biggest trading partner is China. They’re probably getting hit just like Iran.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1233927959129489411

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

There were mass graves in NYC and people would steal other families’ coffins.

We’ve got 100 years of medical technology since then so... :shrug:

The news getting leaked out of North Korea isn’t terribly good. You’d think the hermit kingdom would fare pretty well except their biggest trading partner is China. They’re probably getting hit just like Iran.

Pyongyang maybe since that's the only place in the entire country that has decent medical facilities, but everywhere else I wouldn't be surprised if the Kim government does close to nothing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it ignorant for me to fear that NK will enact extreme measures on those infected in order to contain it?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My mom was talking to my Grandma last night, she lives in Kermanshah. Apparently its bad. In particular the north in the Gilan province/Rasht.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it ignorant for me to fear that NK will enact extreme measures on those infected in order to contain it?

like pull out all their teeth?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I had four patients tonight thinking they had coronavirus.

I'm in east Tennessee.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

I had four patients tonight thinking they had coronavirus.

I'm in east Tennessee.

Everyone w respiratory symptoms is going to be so loving anxious about covid...

....in the last presumptive month of RSV and flu season and on the precipice of allergy season.

gently caress my loving life.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We should be testing as many people as possible ala South Korea. SK even has drive-thru testing to keep people out of hospitals.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

mutata posted:

We should be testing as many people as possible ala South Korea. SK even has drive-thru testing to keep people out of hospitals.

I’ve never been to SK but I do have enough painfully carnal knowledge of the US healthcare system to know that the exact opposite of what makes sense is what will happen.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Aye. :(

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are you more or less likely to get the Covid if you're a young fellow who just finished recovering from bronchitis?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yea at this point Iran is definitely hiding something big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Death By The Blues posted:

My mom was talking to my Grandma last night, she lives in Kermanshah. Apparently its bad. In particular the north in the Gilan province/Rasht.

thats awful. I hope she stays healthy.