Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
https://twitter.com/octopaganini/status/1232010042540425217?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Grim choice to pick the day of Laura Palmer's rape and murder as Twin Peaks Day. :eyepop:

Well it's also the day Harvey Weinstein was found guilty of rape, for whatever that's worth! I don't know if he's Bob, but rape is definitely the evil that men do.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1232024898970640384

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Happy Twin Peaks day!

So, drat, this show huh?

I'm assuming that we don't get any more actual Dougie, since he is now just black smoke and gold ball, but that's a bummer he seems like a great character. Maybe not, though, since he can be replaced by a seemingly completely comatose man and no one bats an eye. The way Dale lights up when he gets that coffee was well done.

Wally is some of the best casting I think I've ever seen, and that scene was just fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus I don't know why it surprises me since, you know, he was the one who did it originally, but he so naturally inhabits the character of Cooper it's crazy.

Also:

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1231911796652564482

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Amazon has Twin Peaks on the Deal of the Day.

https://www.amazon.com/deal/ddf6c588/ref=as_li_ss_tl?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Twin Peaks: From Z to A [Blu-ray]
$89.99 List: $155.99 (42% off)

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me [Blu-ray]
$19.99 Price: $25.36 (21% off)

Twin Peaks: The Television Collection [DVD
$24.99 Price: $36.72 (32% off)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

Well it's also the day Harvey Weinstein was found guilty of rape, for whatever that's worth! I don't know if he's Bob, but rape is definitely the evil that men do.

That's definitely something worth celebrating. :toot:

graventy posted:

I'm assuming that we don't get any more actual Dougie, since he is now just black smoke and gold ball, but that's a bummer he seems like a great character. Maybe not, though, since he can be replaced by a seemingly completely comatose man and no one bats an eye.

It manages to be simultaneously really funny and kind of sad. Poor Dougie. He literally won't be missed because no one noticed his disappearance.

edit: At least he got told by Mike that he has fulfilled his purpose. That's got to be at least a little satisfying. :shobon:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It feels like there’s a lot of stuff in S3 that, when it happens, gets remarked on by characters observing it and called out as being loving bizarre where in S1/2 it might have just sort of passed by without comment. Dougie in the Lodge saying “that’s... weird” when his hand starts shrinking. Sheriff Truman nodding and smiling at Wally like “whaaaaat the gently caress is this kid’s deal”.

Am I imagining this and S1/2 had equally as much diegetic calling-out of weirdness? Or is S3 more, for lack of a better word, self-aware?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

No, you're definitely right. In these two episodes alone, Gordon says "What the hell?" twice, and proclaims to Albert "I don't understand this situation at all".

I actually think there is a thematic reason for it, too. Compared to the original show, we see way more groups of different investigators, solving seemingly separate crimes. Of course, it turns out that these are all part of the same phenomenon. So, even though everyone in the show gets a glimpse of this overarching thing that's gone wrong with the world, none of them can actually figure out what is happening in it's totality.

So, the moment when someone is so completely baffled by the events that shape their lives, the only thing left to say is "That's weird." or ""What the hell?". It's an expression of helplessness. The same goes for both Cooper and that lady in the empty house asking to "Call for help" and "1-1-9" (the inverse of 911). No one can help because they don't understand or don't know the situation.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 25, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bit behind y'all, just starting S3 now. Anyone remember the live watch threads where we found out about halfway through the season that one of the biggest complainers on the threads had never watched S1 and 2 and just started with season 3. Haha what a goober. I'm five minutes into S3E01 and this poo poo would be utterly incomprehensible to someone without context.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thanks to us watching 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 together, we're that much closer to episode 8 :getin:

Tonight's episode 5.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S3E5, let's go!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, is this when Ike the Spike kills everybody? Hahahahaha

e: Maybe not, that's just the same music that plays during that scene.

e2: AND NOW, FOOD IS COMING!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 1, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Welcome back Mike

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frank Truman: :geno::geno::geno:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

It's so loving cute how much he likes the green tea :roflolmao:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JrgmwWAF0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Amanda Seyfried's glowing smile almost mirroring Laura's creepy glowing face from The Missing Pieces.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Caleb Landry Jones is so good at playing pieces of poo poo.

e: The fucks are at it again!! :black101:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 1, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The FUCKS are at it again! :argh:

Shovel your way out of the poo poo!

e: This is the band with David Lynch's son in it. The song also rules.

e2: Goddamnit, I hate Richard so much.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 1, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

e: This is the band with David Lynch's son in it. The song also rules.

I love it, it's been in my Favorites playlist ever since this aired.

Their other song is pretty good too.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 1, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is that box in Argentina what remains of the FBI agent that Albert mentioned? The one that Bad Coop asked for information about and then a week later the guy was dead?

e:

El Jeffe posted:

I love it, it's been in my Favorites playlist ever since this aired.

Their other song is pretty good too.
This is real good! Though according to the YouTube comments, they don't have a full-length album out??? :negative:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 1, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I forgot how much I hated Richard, but I also forgot how much I loved Doc Jacoby's internet show: The FUCKS are at it again!

Every Dougie scene is absolutely magical, and knowing where the subplot with Tom Sizemore and the Mitchum Brothers is going makes it all the better. I had forgotten all about him crying while looking at little Sonny Jim, I love that moment and I wonder whether the little bit of Agent Cooper buried deep in there is thinking about the fact he didn't get to have kids. Him just chilling by the statue during the closing credits is wonderful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Me when I roll up to the drive-thru window

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I came down with pretty bad flu/fever this week and had a bunch of sick time at work so I rewatched all of S1&2 over the course of 4 days while dying on my couch. My brain is melted, but I'm glad I did it. Had been a long time (decade+) since I've watched anything other than the "green" survival guide episodes. Forgot so much, but glad I'll be able to get caught up to y'alls watch soon.

If my rewatch has made anything at all 100% crystal clear it’s that James has never been cool.

E: and I’m never watching back half S2 again

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 2, 2020

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Quote of the week: "What the hell?" (Warden Murphy)

Rageaholic posted:

Oh my god, is this when Ike the Spike kills everybody? Hahahahaha

e: Maybe not, that's just the same music that plays during that scene.

e2: AND NOW, FOOD IS COMING!

Yeah, it's actually that lady's theme song, not Ike the Spike's. Her fingers trembling as she's sending the message is pretty horrible. She is like Darya. They both know they're dead, and yet they still help Mr. C just in case he doesn't decide to kill them, after all.

El Jeffe posted:

It's so loving cute how much he likes the green tea :roflolmao:

I like that he kind of tries to hide it at first, but he can't help himself.

Rageaholic posted:

Me when I roll up to the drive-thru window

That remark is still baffling to me. Does he say that because he's memorised everything about the prison from those plans he downloaded to his phone/brain?

Rageaholic, could I get a screenshot of Dougie drinking some drat good joe in the elevator, please?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Given just how much of S3 is the Dougie show, I wonder if it all serves as a sort of commentary on how much we allow certain people to get away with just because of who we presume them to be, allowing them to fail upward and upward. Millions of people struggle every day just to stand still, even though they're sharp as tacks and could thrive given the right opportunities; but there are billionaire-scion drooling morons and trust-fund babies galore who just gently caress up constantly and ruin every life they touch and they get rewarded for it over and over again.

Dougie isn't really coded as that kind of person (dumpy guy in bad green suit with a horrible haircut, prior to Things Happening; mid-level peon at an insurance company, raising a suburban family with difficulty and in trouble with loan sharks), but once he gets his mind wiped we see the whole world basically conspire to make sure he doesn't fail, covering for his every bumbling misstep, because it's more comfortable for everyone to see him as doing and saying the things he does just because he's being inscrutable for unknown reasons you'd better pretend you understand than to think he's suddenly been hit by some bodily catastrophe that's reduced him to an automaton.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

In fact, I think it shows the opposite. For one, Dougie is likely to lose his job if he can't deliver on those case files. Also, he isn't even a millionaire after winning the jackpot like 30 times. Sure, he has a job and life that are so completely devoid of meaning that his death and replacement by a sleepwalker aren't even noticed. That's not really portrayed as something positive for Dougie or Cooper, though.

It shows that no one really gives a poo poo about the guy. His literal "call[s] for help" are completely ignored. At best, he is seen as a nuissance for stopping everyone from going home.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know. If no one cared about Dougie than he wouldn't constantly be receiving the help he needs to "Weekend at Bernies" his way through the day. The intern gives him the coffee and leads him into the meeting; the office hottie helps him use the bathroom - I don't think any of that would happen if Dougie was formerly a complete shitheel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Rageaholic, could I get a screenshot of Dougie drinking some drat good joe in the elevator, please?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have never wantedNEEDED something more in my life than Dougie needed that coffee.

Mr. C doesn't need anything, he wants things. Dougie NEEDS his coffee. drat good joe.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That's our Dougie. :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

I have never wantedNEEDED something more in my life than Dougie needed that coffee.

Mr. C doesn't need anything, he wants things. Dougie NEEDS his coffee. drat good joe.

Originally it's from that exchange between Cooper and Audrey in which she asks him whether he wants her to leave, and he responds: "What I want and what I need are two different things, Audrey." It's like the Freudian Id (instinct/sex drive) compared to the superego (morals). Mr. C uses it the same way. He only has desires, but no morals or higher goals.

Dougie-Cooper, though… Dougie is pure instinct, as well, surely. He instinctively knows that Anthony is lying, and without consideration for the danger, he just says it. He "really wanted" that coffee, and he got it. Even Cooper's funny little exchanges about how he "really ha[s] to urinate" have been replaced by him just standing in a corridor holding his junk. If anything, Dougie is representing a positive type of instinct (intuition?) while Mr. C is representing the bad type (impulse?). He also wants and doesn't need. It's just that he's pretty docile most of the time.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 3, 2020

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Dougie reacts to things around him. Mr. C. has all kinds of long-term plans and schemes.
I wondered the first time why he drove around when he knew something will happen regarding the lodge. But, it will be obvious he wanted to be in that prison.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AstroWhale posted:

Dougie reacts to things around him. Mr. C. has all kinds of long-term plans and schemes.
I wondered the first time why he drove around when he knew something will happen regarding the lodge. But, it will be obvious he wanted to be in that prison.

Then maybe both types of wanting are identical in essence, but one is premeditated to an extreme while the other is spontaeous. Dougie-Cooper is definitely a more positive force in the lives of others, even though he doesn't seem to act based on any moral impulse, either. He even made that one dude's day just by wanting his coffee.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Something I never quite... noticed or registered, was that when Mr. C is getting drawn back into the Black Lodge in a sort of "battle of who pukes up their Garmonbozia first" with the original Dougie Jones tulpa, tthe Garmonbizua he ends up spewing up very quickly goes from looking like normal yellow creamed corn to *pitch black* creamed corn, which seemed to mix with a fairly bright reddish substance (blood? cherry pie?) as well.

I didn't think too much of it till I was watching it again this last time, and I remembered the "Black Corn" on Hawk's awesome ancient map. There is very clearly *black corn* on that map, which I believe Hawk describes as "diseased, poisonous" and that is certainly the effect it has on the cops who came into contact with it.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 3, 2020

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys! Tonight is episode 6 of season 3, which happens to be one of my favorite episodes, oddly enough. As I recall, this episode is called "Case Files", or something similar to that...

I also have some thoughts I feel the need to articulate, because I am *really* getting back into the mythology and world of this show for the first time since 2017, and it just.... It always amazes and stuns me, because there are always new way to look at this episodes, and season 3 especially is a massive pleasure to revisit - all of it is so dense and deeply layered. It feels so much more precise and patient about making its points, it's really like the term "Lynchian" distilled to its very essence.

So, one comment I feel compelled to underscore is just how deeply different the very experience of watching Season 3 for a second time is versus watching it for a first time. The first time is hugely important, though, and you cannot properly analyze the show without looking carefully and deeply at how you felt during the first watch-through, in my opinion. I even think the show itself is very much self-aware of how viewers will perceive the show the "first time through", and that it's in fact inextricably linked with the very substance and essence of the show. I'll make more points about this as we go along, but for now I'll bring up one that seems very clear to me.

Back in the Episode 3, in the Mauve Room, Cooper finds Naido, as well as a wall-socked labeled with the number 15. Naido almost violently tries to keep Cooper away from going towards that socket, making the "killing" motion across her neck as we hear a slicing sound - this seems to indicate that something very very bad will happen to Cooper and/or others if he goes into Outlet 15. Now, we know how the scene goes - They go up-top, Naido flips the switch and falls into the abyss, the light quality changes to something more normal, and Cooper goes downstairs to find Ronnette Pulaski (credited as American Girl) and something angry knocking at the window where Cooper came in. A single blue rose in a vase is now sitting on the previously bare table. The socket in the wall has also changed from being #15 to #3. Cooper enters the socket, the paradox of three Coopers happens and Mr. C wins the garmonbozia-vomit-contest against the original Dougie tulpa, and Cooper emerges from a wall socket that just happens to be right where he needs to be to take the place of the Dougie tulpa - precisely on time, at 2:53 (of course).

So... when I originally saw that scene, I honestly thought that the numbers, in truth, represented the episode numbers. It seemed like to much of a coincidence to me that Cooper goes through the "#3 outlet" in "episode #3". I went back on this ultimately because it seemed too... obviously referential and weird, and "315" is well-established as a meaningful number within the show to some degree (Coop's Great Norhtern hotel room/key). But I do, in fact, think it does refer to episode numbers.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in *Episode 15* we see Cooper jam a fork into a power outlet in order to "come back", or something. It was clearly something that he felt was immediately necessary once the name "Gordon Cole" on Sunset Boulevard jogged his memory. I do not think it's a coincidence that it was a reference to the real-life Gordon Cole that ultimately woke him up, though I am unsure as to why. So, episode 15 actually would have been the point that the Cooper from the original show - the one who wants to get things solved and find answers - would WANT to jump to right away, immediately - the point where AGENT COOPER COMES BACK!

I mean, what were we constantly waiting for, episode after episode? The return of Cooper, of course! And we always got excited to see flashes and glimmers of him in "Dougie"... So I think it is interesting that it's a "hidden" Diane who prevents him from doing this. And Ronnette does kinda tell him what's up, "Before you get there, you will already be there" or something, which seemed to me to clearly refer to the "lag time" between the arrival of Cooper's body and the arrival of his essence or consciousness.

So, to get back to my original point.... As I am no longer anticipating and waiting and hoping for Cooper to wake up (or Audrey to finally go out too!) I am much more free to appreciate things like the Dougie performance and the scenes showing minutiae and social detritus in Twin Peaks is much more interesting, and far less tedious. I feel like I just get more out of it.

Sorry for the long-rear end disorganized post, I've had too much Twin Peaks stuff floating around in my head. I did watch a 4-hour long youtube video analysis of the show that I found fascinating, because it coincided with a lot of my ideas and theories about the show, but I felt he missed a number of things and was confused and misguided in others.... But he articulated some really great ideas, it did not feel like 4+ hours.

Anyways, I'll be re-watching s03e06 [b]Don't Die/b] tonight.... I honestly really like this episode because it's full of "in between" scenes and moments, kinda like the last episode. It could be frustrating if you really want serious action, but to me this is some of the best stuff Lynch does - low key, patient scenes that build slowly, or just are. I love those kind of scenes. I think the "chip" scene is in this episode, which might be my absolute favorite heartbreakingly sweet moment between Dougie and Sonny Jim...

Anyway, I hope you guys have not forgotten. I feel inspired to post lots of out-there analysis about everything, so that's fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kaworu posted:

So, to get back to my original point.... As I am no longer anticipating and waiting and hoping for Cooper to wake up (or Audrey to finally go out too!) I am much more free to appreciate things like the Dougie performance and the scenes showing minutiae and social detritus in Twin Peaks is much more interesting, and far less tedious. I feel like I just get more out of it.

This has been a huge benefit of the rewatch for me too. While on the first viewing I adored Dougie and everything he did, it was always colored by my anticipation/belief that THIS week would be the week that Cooper returned. Watching again knowing when that moment will come means I'm no longer spending so much energy/interest waiting for something else, and can just enjoy what is. Also what is.... is great! Dougie :love:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:yeah:

I think the thing I'm most looking forward to is rewatching episode 8, which we'll be doing in a couple weeks! That episode is just unparalleled for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Legit the best episode of television I have ever seen in my life :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don't Die (from Coronavirus)