Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wonder what he laughs at as he is reading them :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bust Rodd posted:

I wonder what he laughs at as he is reading them :unsmith:

Frasier reruns, just off screen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

theironjef posted:

Understandable. Not a lot of television from that era holds up, but the Crane bros are timeless.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I hope he bites all the way through the toast this time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Javid posted:

I hope he bites all the way through the toast this time.

Maybe whoever he's with now will wear the purple pumps? :shobon:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Schwarzwald posted:

Understandable. Not a lot of television from that era holds up, but the Crane bros are timeless.

This has been exhaustively researched and documented in the GBS Frasier thread, but there are plenty of issues to take with the incredibly good sitcom Frasier, and there are quite a few episodes that are "of the times" shall we say

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

theironjef posted:

Hm?

I love Frasier!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

This has been exhaustively researched and documented in the GBS Frasier thread, but there are plenty of issues to take with the incredibly good sitcom Frasier, and there are quite a few episodes that are "of the times" shall we say

gotta love that early 90's gay panic (although I remember it more specifically in Friends)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

"he mainly eats filet and has the mandibular potential of a towel at rest" is one of those phrases that just rattles around in my head with a comfortable regularity.

any time i accidentally make an achewood quote to someone that doesn't know the strip, if they give me a concerned look i've found saying "i just love to celebrate the english language" is a succinct enough explanation

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Someone asked about whether these will have the subscriber archives and he said yes. !!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

xiw posted:

Someone asked about whether these will have the subscriber archives and he said yes. !!

Hell yes, that’s been lost to the internet for years.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

"he mainly eats filet and has the mandibular potential of a towel at rest" is one of those phrases that just rattles around in my head with a comfortable regularity.

any time i accidentally make an achewood quote to someone that doesn't know the strip, if they give me a concerned look i've found saying "i just love to celebrate the english language" is a succinct enough explanation

Also "pish posh. The lad had the cash reserves of a tortilla."

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

theironjef posted:

Also "pish posh. The lad had the cash reserves of a tortilla."

"If anyone's staring intently at your taint when you're eighty, you're either having something removed or dating what's left of Mumford & Sons. Either way, it'll be an island of relief between the other two heartbreaking tissue failures down there."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SENSATIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
Lyle is arrested.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's really funny, and probably always will be, that the Achewood universe has a punishment for being an rear end in a top hat.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

bony tony posted:

It's really funny, and probably always will be, that the Achewood universe has a punishment for being an rear end in a top hat.

I have the "registered rear end in a top hat" strip taped up at my desk at work along with the Comic Sans strip.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I hack at-cha, bottle-brazened Lef' Mo-Higgins! Here's how "2" get YA ROXX off wit-cha pant'z ONNNN!NNN AT THE ...STRIP CLUBBBUBUBBB!

http://hell yes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ManiacClown posted:

I have the "registered rear end in a top hat" strip taped up at my desk at work along with the Comic Sans strip.

I post this one because I'm a computer janitor that frequently remotes into other people's desktops:

I've also occasionally had a Post-It with "RAY" scrawled on my right-hand monitor

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I post this one because I'm a computer janitor that frequently remotes into other people's desktops:

I've also occasionally had a Post-It with "RAY" scrawled on my right-hand monitor

one time i did some acid and tried to use my computer but it was just a solid hour of doing stuff like this

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I have a salary. I have been to breakfast restaurants at breakfast time. I have left sporting events of my own free will.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

"I guess you could even say that God made a bad mistake by giving us this year's politics!"

Later.

"PHILIPPE! God messed up, and here I am."

And still, you know, what's with Australia? They're like if England had a baby with Chernobyl and gave it a greasy hat!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"Breasts become taco color" reminded me of how Nice Pete says television actor George Lopez is the color of perfectly fried chicken thighs

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What strip is it where Phillippe talks about Todd describing a heart attack as your heart saying "Alright pal, eat a dick!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What strip is it where Phillippe talks about Todd describing a heart attack as your heart saying "Alright pal, eat a dick!"

Friday Facts: Get Tough Edition

Ray is stabbing a couch cushion with a zucchini and Téodor is watching and asking important questions about blood. They are playing hardcore music.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

Ray is stabbing a couch cushion with a zucchini and Téodor is watching and asking important questions about blood. They are playing hardcore music.

“(One was in a fire when he was young-he’s the smooth one)”is the kind of rough chuckle I’ve been craving today.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hey now folks don't forget the most important of government holidays is coming soon

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EBB posted:

Hey now folks don't forget the most important of government holidays is coming soon

Remember when Todd made headlines by messin up his taxes so bad he almost got lethal injection

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

I hate it when I get 'rhoid rage

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
You could tell he was not focused on his promise.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

EBB posted:

I'm a tax officer and this is my favourite part of the job.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Remember when Todd made headlines by messin up his taxes so bad he almost got lethal injection

Yeah.... :smith:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Do you think Beef ever became the architect of the GOF?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It muft sizzle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajnvKEd8RfI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope it was pepered squarely :ohdear:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Ray eats it up like the bread, actin' all "made" when the dude says, "Is a special lasagna today for you Ray, I bring it to you special." He don't give it to Ray for any kind of deal and the only thing special about it is that the word "special" got said twice. I think he's just sellin' it to Ray 'cause he knows Ray would buy anything he talked about and it's one of those casserole-based dishes that you can scrape outta the pan corner and dump some red sauce on. Ray pays twenty-nine dollars for stuff Vito's dishwasher would put his cigarette butt in.

Here are the following categories of dude accents that can sell things to dumb American guys, graded by power of accent:

1. Italian
2. English
3. Irish
4. Franco-Bedouin (seriously, Youtube this)
5. Dennis Leary (eclipsed Bill Cosby in 1993)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I loved that story (Ray's "special" Italian restaurant) told from both sides in the blogs, because man, Ray in that instance was exactly how my dad acted anytime he did business anywhere that was very obviously a small business where you probably dealt with the guy whose name was on the sign, and especially the local red sauce and breadsticks joint.

I think finding out the guy cosplaying as all "salt of the earth" with a corny-rear end blue-collar nickname was, in fact, gouging him hard and repeatedly on auto work broke him of that habit, though.

I don't know if Onstad said all he cared to say with those characters, or if going back to the Achewood well would resurrect troublesome ghosts (he's still turning out original art and paintings, though, so who knows) but I would love more text-only pieces written in their voices before the world turns into a cinder.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I was thinking about the strip , the other day, where Nice Pete is talking to Teodor and mentions screaming at a person for 8 full seconds.
He says " "It may not sound like much but is hard to do" I was wondering if anyone of you tried to do an 8 second scream?

Let's make that the Next Youtube Challenge. "Nice Petes" 8 Second Scream Challenge.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Definitely gonna try that baked onion recipe sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pastry of the Year posted:

I loved that story (Ray's "special" Italian restaurant) told from both sides in the blogs, because man, Ray in that instance was exactly how my dad acted anytime he did business anywhere that was very obviously a small business where you probably dealt with the guy whose name was on the sign, and especially the local red sauce and breadsticks joint.

I think finding out the guy cosplaying as all "salt of the earth" with a corny-rear end blue-collar nickname was, in fact, gouging him hard and repeatedly on auto work broke him of that habit, though.

I don't know if Onstad said all he cared to say with those characters, or if going back to the Achewood well would resurrect troublesome ghosts (he's still turning out original art and paintings, though, so who knows) but I would love more text-only pieces written in their voices before the world turns into a cinder.

It's kind of a touching/sad recurring motif in the Ray blogs that he spends a lot of time fantasizing about having a real friendship with people he doesn't have a real friendship with, and that's even there in the entry you're talking about. It's him indulging in a very classically dad-like fancy about being "in" with people at places he likes, but it's also really specifically about Ray's well-established personal hang-ups. I love the blogs so much and I'm so stoked to have access to them in a more easily browseable form soon.