Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Chomp8645 posted:

They'll never take me alive.

Maybe not if you get Coronavirus!

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/fdosxl/me_30f_with_my_boyfriend_30_m_is_it_wrong_to/fjjltix/

Art lady is Not Like Other (Conventional) Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Boyfriend addicted to streaming

quote:

Hello everyone. My (25F) boyfriend (26M) is addicted to streaming video games. I can't stand it anymore. I don't mind him streaming, but he does it for 3+ hours EVERYDAY.

We don't go out on weekends anymore. Our sex life is almost dead. He doesn't even touch me like he used to. I go to bed alone now. Our movie nights have been replaced with his stream nights. So now I just watch movies alone by myself in the other room getting drunk. Because thats what we used to do. I feel so alone ever since he started streaming. He probably thinks me playing video games with him while streaming is spending time together, when really he never talks to me during the stream and instead talks to chat all the time. So I still end up feeling alone.

He was wonderful before this. We would go out on dates. Have movie and game nights. He is still a very sweet man. He is not rude or anything. But I feel like he just doesn't love me anymore and is bored of me. He would just rather have his twitch time than me.

I want to communicate to him about this without it looking like I don't support his hobby. I feel like I would not be a supportive girlfriend if I told him to cut down on the streaming. He has gained a following fast so he probably doesn't want to slow down.

Tl;dr boyfriend is addicted to twitch and now we don't spend anytime together. I feel alone and unloved. I want to tell him my feelings but I dont want to seem unsupportive.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The Bramble posted:

Boyfriend addicted to streaming

Sever your Internet connection.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

AITA for not giving back an expensive gift I can't practically use?

quote:

A very close friend of mine gifted me an incredibly expensive accessory. The problem is - while in his country wearing it in public wouldn't be much of an issue, it's a different story in mine.

I thought he would already understand this but when I was thanking him and explaining how I would display it privately he got quite upset and asked for me to return it so he could give it to another mutual friend of ours who he assumes would have no such problem.

I do treasure the item so it's not an issue of wanting to hang on to it just for the principle of the thing. I told him sorry, but it was my property now. His opinion is that I'm being an rear end in a top hat since our other friend could get more actual use out of it and I should know that's the spirit he gave it to me in. (I will admit, he's correct here that I know that's what he would prefer for the item.)

I know this sub usually says that as soon as someone gives you something you're free to do what you like with it, including throw it straight in the trash, which might be technically true but I'm wondering if even if I might be technically entitled to keep it I am still being an rear end in a top hat here.

Edit: Everyone seems to have decided it was 'a swastika' which was not the issue at all, it was some other piece of Reich imagery but seeing as how the only thing people seem to be familiar with are swastikas I'm re-thinking the idea that there'll be a problem wearing it at all. So thank you all!

lol at the dawning realisation in the comments on this one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'll be honest, thats one twist I did nazi coming

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

an overdue owl posted:

The user's name is the red baron's brother.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being angry that my husband blew off our son's surgery but took the day off to help an old lady from church?

quote:

My son (4) has had issues with his ears ever since he was a baby. He’s also since had some severe speech delays, but I couldn’t get anyone to take me seriously until last year and we were referred to an ENT. The ENT explained that he needed tubes to drain his ears. It’s a simple process, but it was still scary to think about my baby going through surgery. I took the day off work to bring him to get surgery and asked my husband to do the same. He has his own business and could afford to do so. He told me that he didn’t think it was necessary for us both to be there, because it was a quick in and out procedure. Even asking him to take a half-day to sit with me while our son was in surgery was out of the question. I was mad, but got over it. My son went through the surgery fine and is now in speech therapy to try to correct the issues that not being able to hear properly did. Once again, I go to all of these meetings at his pre-school. My husband barely even asks about them. But I try to not take it to heart, but I admit it has stuck with me over the past months.

Then on Monday, I tried calling him at work to ask him a random question. He wasn’t there. Later that day, he told me that someone from our church was getting a new heater installed and she was scared to be by herself. He had sat with her the entire day, waiting and talking. (I did confirm this story with her)

I was pissed. I said that he couldn’t be bothered to handle anything with our son’s surgery or meetings, but he can take a whole day off for the nice old lady from church. He said I was overreacting, but I don’t think so. I complained to someone else from the church (not the woman he waited with) and they tried to defend him. And everyone is starting to make me think I’m crazy.

Am I being an rear end here for being so angry with him?

ETA: If he had been there for us, I wouldn’t care about him helping the old lady. It’s that he never tries to help with my son and yet will drop everything for others. His compassion for them is great. I just wish it extended to our child.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

an overdue owl posted:

Man what a trip rereading that paragraph was after the reveal. OP "treasures" the item, but admits the friend will "get more use out of it".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being angry that my husband blew off our son's surgery but took the day off to help an old lady from church?

It's easy to be that way, I'm pretty sure he has a couple other kids stashed away somewhere

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Hobo Clown posted:

Man what a trip rereading that paragraph was after the reveal. OP "treasures" the item, but admits the friend will "get more use out of it".

So wait, what is it? An Iron Cross? An SS cap? A Walther P38?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

an overdue owl posted:

quote:

Everyone seems to have decided it was 'a swastika' which was not the issue at all, it was some other piece of Reich imagery but seeing as how the only thing people seem to be familiar with are swastikas I'm re-thinking the idea that there'll be a problem wearing it at all. So thank you all!

wow, owned :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone breaks his loving jaw.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If it's an "expensive accessory" it might be an Iron Cross necklace or something.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

someone said that dude was looking for a partner in a concentration camp fantasy so i went digging through his post history. I didn't find it, because there are pages and pages of him talking about political compass memes.

he's an authoritarian centrist

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My bff gave me this iron cross pendant with an embossed totenkopf! Isn’t it beautiful?

#justtotallynormalfriendthings

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Necrothatcher posted:

AITA for demanding my boyfriend get rid of our terrifying new dog?

Many replies telling her she needs to befriend the killer monster dog and calling her an rear end in a top hat.

My first time adopting a dog I picked one out at the shelter and played with him for a bit. The staff all said he was really sweet and that they loved him. After I signed the paper to bring him home the desk clerk goes "he's been brought back by seven different people so hopefully you're the one for him."

He was calm in the car ride but as soon as we got home he started lunging at me nonstop. When he grabbed my arm the only way I could get him to stop was to shove it as deep into his mouth as I could. I didn't sleep at all that night for fear he would get me in my sleep and took him back to the shelter as soon as they reopened. In the waiting area, he tried to jump at another dog and when I pulled back on his leash he turned around and chomped on my leg hard enough to make me bleed.

The shelter told me that because they were at capacity there was a very high chance he would be euthanized. Of course I felt bad but I knew that I was not equipped to help him and it was unsafe to have him in my house. This guy seems like he has the same problem but is handling it in the worst way possible. At best the dog is going to stay exactly as it is, or the lack of training and contact will turn out to make him even more aggressive. Great job, fucker.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to put on the news/election coverage in the waiting room?

quote:

I work in a cardiac surgeon’s office. We have four TVs in the waiting room and one in the break room. The break room get switched from channel to channel frequently depending on who is in there.

The waiting room TVs are usually on MSN or CNN, HGTV, The Food Network, and TBS.

With the political climate going on, I have been changing the TV that has the news on to The Weather Channel, since patients have been getting into arguments/debates in the waiting room over politics. Patients coming in from that environment have been really agitated, which isn’t great when you are coming in to talk about open heart surgery or just had open heart surgery.

Today a patient requested I put on the election coverage. I said no, that we don’t want to put it on because it has been causing patients to get worked up. They got really upset and told me that I “can’t deny them the right to be informed” and that I have to put the news on. I didn’t budge.

AITA for not putting on the news/election coverage?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to put on the news/election coverage in the waiting room?

lol "the right to be informed" by doctor's office tv

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HazCat posted:

You can't really understand the full extent of Whoa Cat Betty (Bit A Man) unless you know this song. Reading the origin story isn't enough.

The original version is by Leadbelly

https://youtu.be/Fii6PX0-VXs

edit: unless Hopkins covered someone else, I guess

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 5, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

A guy got sent to my hospital after telling his workplace this as a “prank.” He did not admit he made it up until he arrived at the hospital at where all sorts of preparations were being made and high ranking people and agencies altered and called in as this at the time was the first case in our area.

He is going to jail :owned:

Just checking, y'all confirmed it wasn't Corona before the jail stuff? I can totally believe someone would do that, but I can also believe that someone would panic and try to pass it off as a lie when it turned into a big deal, even though that causes more problems. Self-preservation anxiety reflex and all.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

If it's an "expensive accessory" it might be an Iron Cross necklace or something.

Nazis think people don't know what iron crosses mean, and their iron cross elbow tattoo is so sneaky.

Nazis are not terribly smart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RoboRodent posted:

Nazis think people don't know what iron crosses mean, and their iron cross elbow tattoo is so sneaky.

Nazis are not terribly smart.

A couple Nazis came to the training company I worked for at the time. They had some "secretive" tattoos like Thor's Hammer, which were immediately offset by the multiple clearly visible swastikas and, in one case, a crude drawing of marching brownshirts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

A couple Nazis came to the training company I worked for at the time. They had some "secretive" tattoos like Thor's Hammer, which were immediately offset by the multiple clearly visible swastikas and, in one case, a crude drawing of marching brownshirts.

There’s a guy on my job site with this hanging up, and ohhh man, between the Thor’s hammer and the lightning bolts the red flags they were a wavin’.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

God, the Norse imagery. A while back at work I ran into a customer wearing a t shirt with an actually really neat stylized Odin design. It was a really nice piece of artwork and the fact that it was probably being worn by a Nazi just killed me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The only legitimate reason to be wearing a Thor's Hammer these days is if you are a practicing blacksmith.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RoboRodent posted:

God, the Norse imagery. A while back at work I ran into a customer wearing a t shirt with an actually really neat stylized Odin design. It was a really nice piece of artwork and the fact that it was probably being worn by a Nazi just killed me.

Listen, I know nazi hysteria is a really in vogue right now, but you are worrying too much. Yes nazis exist and some of them probably utilize norse imagery. But some random guy you come across in public wearing an Odin t-shirt probably just likes vikings.

For christ sake, a sizeable portion of Marvel content in based around norse stuff. It's everywhere, and the vast majority of it is benign.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kenshin posted:

The only legitimate reason to be wearing a Thor's Hammer these days is if you are a practicing blacksmith.

Or if you're a Marvel fan

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a guy on my job site with this hanging up, and ohhh man, between the Thor’s hammer and the lightning bolts the red flags they were a wavin’.

Thirty Seconds Out is a brand of "commando-inspired apparel" started by a veteran. So, you know, po-tay-to po-tah-to.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Listen, I know nazi hysteria is a really in vogue right now, but you are worrying too much. Yes nazis exist and some of them probably utilize norse imagery. But some random guy you come across in public wearing an Odin t-shirt probably just likes vikings.

Being really into Norse mythology is a huge red flag. I'd think something was up if a guy was wearing an Odin t shirt.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Necrothatcher posted:

Being really into Norse mythology is a huge red flag. I'd think something was up if a guy was wearing an Odin t shirt.

Tattoos maybe, but t-shirts? Really?

People have t-shirts for all kinds of poo poo they barely care about. Or don't care about but just liked the picture. I think you are drawing the line way too close if "has a t-shirt" is your indicator being really into something.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

And it’s not like Marvel fanboys shouldn’t be similarly shunned.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Chomp really going to bat for Nazi t shirts here lol

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The point is that norse mythology is really cool and fun and vikings are interesting and I hate seeing it get appropriated by Nazis.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Yossarian posted:

Chomp really going to bat for Nazi t shirts here lol

Yeah yeah, I knew someone would post this.

"I don't think a viking t-shirt = is a nazi"

"Wow look at this guy defending nazi t-shirts!!!"

Come on, man. Is that really the way we do things now?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have a half sleeve of two ravens that's Norse inspired but I'm not a Nazi. I hope people don't think I am because of the tattoo .

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (39f) husband (39m) cheated on me 2 years ago and I forgave him.....now found out more details and am crushed.

1. Your forgiveness is based on the false assumption that you were responsible for his cheating because you had a fight. He encouraged this because it let him move the blame for his actions from him to you.
2. He's 100% still loving her and still telling her that you are split up, or about to be.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
does reddit have an r/amithenazi

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Licarn posted:

does reddit have an r/amithenazi

it's empty except for one stickied thread that says "yes"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kenshin posted:

Karl from InRange wears one, but that's because he's the son of Norwegian immigrants and it's a legitimate part of his heritage. He's actually a member of the Church of Satan (the ones who do all the stuff trolling religious laws like putting up statues of Baphomet) and has repeatedly, loudly spoken out against racism and Nazis. He did a presentation about the use of racism in anti-drug propaganda, including the use of Antisemitic tropes in the absinthe ban.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Foo Diddley posted:

it's empty except for one stickied thread that says "yes"
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I know a guy who is from Sweden and laments not being able to display and wear all the awesome norse imagery he wants because it's all been Co-opted by white supremacy.