Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The model number may help people get more specific, but it sounds like a failing backlight. As a TV ages, the backlight can dim/color shift which can affect all or part of the image on screen. If it's uniform, it might be possible to recalibrate the TV to fix the colors and also up the brightness to bring it back into line.

TV calibration is a bit tricky. You need a colorimeter and software on a computer to do so along with some test patterns (there are open source pieces of software out there.) You would adjust the TV using the 2 or 10 point white balance within the TV menus.

Some TVs don't have the ability to adjust the white balance or only have the ability to adjust it from the service menu.

Typically, a colorimeter usually costs between $150-$200, but the nice thing is you have it for life and can use it on TVs moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Orvin posted:

Is there a decent tool/app I can use to manually adjust the tv colors and try to bring them back to normal? Or is some controller failing, and it’s just going to get continually worse. I would like to avoid having to replace this tv, as I spent a pretty good amount of money on it at the time, but it is our primary tv.
If you find an AVS forum thread for your specific model line and ask there people probably already know what that is and if it can be fixed.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

qirex posted:

If you find an AVS forum thread for your specific model line and ask there people probably already know what that is and if it can be fixed.

I will look for that, thanks.

It is a Samsung un65js9000fxza.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Orvin posted:

I will look for that, thanks.

It is a Samsung un65js9000fxza.

gesundheit

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Just got around to digging out my reciept, I had a 4 year warranty from the store. I bought the tv on 2/22/2016. So I thought I was initially screwed. But, calling the store, the warranty starts on delivery (2/26/2016). So I am just inside the window. Supposedly ABT has great customer service, so we will see what the service tech says tomorrow.

I did find the AVS forum for my tv. Appears to be some LED bleed through and edge issues cropping up, but the last couple of pages didn’t seem to have anything about backlight or color issues.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Orvin posted:

Just got around to digging out my reciept, I had a 4 year warranty from the store. I bought the tv on 2/22/2016. So I thought I was initially screwed. But, calling the store, the warranty starts on delivery (2/26/2016). So I am just inside the window. Supposedly ABT has great customer service, so we will see what the service tech says tomorrow.

I did find the AVS forum for my tv. Appears to be some LED bleed through and edge issues cropping up, but the last couple of pages didn’t seem to have anything about backlight or color issues.

Abt is quite excellent, plus they bake cookies in the store sometimes. How much did you pay for the 4 year warranty out of curiosity?

BonoMan posted:

gesundheit

Very simple but made me laugh very hard, thank you.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Abt is quite excellent, plus they bake cookies in the store sometimes. How much did you pay for the 4 year warranty out of curiosity?

Very simple but made me laugh very hard, thank you.

My receipt shows $300. Granted, it also shows the tv just under $2.7k at the time. When talking to the salesman, he took $300 off the price, and since that was the cost of the warranty, I went with it.

I had forgotten just how much I payed for this tv. But I had just refinished my basement, and wanted a really high end tv for the new space. Makes me wish I had waited a bit and gotten an OLED when they came down in price.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
The mount I bought didn't work for my old plasma, but also just did our taxes this morning, so just bit the bullet and got a TCL 55r615 from Walmart for $400. Guess I'm glad I waited a week or 2 since it dropped another $50.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

drat. I spent $400 on the 400-series, these prices just keep crashing!

Now's the time to scoop cheap chinese panels. With the coronavirus impacting production lines, prices may spike when stocks deplete.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Congratulations on the end of our long national nightmare.

What made you go with the E9?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FilthyImp posted:

Congratulations on the end of our long national nightmare.

What made you go with the E9?

Eh, I liked it a bit more when I looked at the E9 in the store, and the price of the C9 + tax kept on being pretty close to the E9 (no tax).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Congrats dude.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Congrats! I wanted the E9 but ended up with the C9 and am mildly jealous (tax issue was flipped for me).

They're great panels. You won't regret the purchase.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

What if it's cheaper next leap year though?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tony Phillips posted:

What if it's cheaper next leap year though?

This is a pretty great rule tbqh: I will only buy TVs on leap days.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I'll be buying a new TV for the first time in 11 years whenever the PS5 is released. It sounds like OLED is currently the gold standard, but cumulative burn-in seems to be unavoidable according to countless firsthand testimonials from people using their sets a normal amount and with varied content.

I'm not a heavy user (less than 1hr/night on average), but as someone who tends to keep his TV for a decade, LED is probably the safest choice for me, right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A modern OLED under your useage (even over the span of 10 years) shouldn't have to worry about burn-in. I'd make your decision based on your budget than any other factor. If you're gonna be looking at the same screen for the next 10 years you're gonna want it to be the best available.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What's the word on the new OLEDs vs the current model? Looking to add another but haven't paid super close attention.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think there's any huge tech advancements on the horizon. The newer models will always be better than the older models that's the same of all tech and you'll just be waiting forever instead of watching an amazing looking TV.

The C9 has HDMI 2.1 which is pretty huge for future proofing, allowing 8K, 4K120, VRR and more.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

American McGay posted:

I don't think there's any huge tech advancements on the horizon. The newer models will always be better than the older models that's the same of all tech and you'll just be waiting forever instead of watching an amazing looking TV.

The C9 has HDMI 2.1 which is pretty huge for future proofing, allowing 8K, 4K120, VRR and more.

Ok, that was my big question, thanks. I have a C6 now and absolutely love it so if I can find a good deal on a C9 I think I'll grab one. Sort of tempted to see how the Vizio OLED's are going to be but who knows when we'll see those.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
VRR and (backported) HDMI 2.1 features (QMS, QFT) is mostly where it's at. Also an OS you can use without internet, because Smart TVs are objectively awful when it comes to anything online.

Also make sure your TV supports such things as HDR10+ and has low-ish input lag for gaming. rtings.com is good at benching that. The new Filmmaker Mode sounds pretty nice and could mean automatic calibration that might also be set automatically based on input device or the TV app chosen. But you'll probably still have to calibrate your console AV channel yourself.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
What height should I mount my TV? I keep seeing either ~60" or 42" (eye height) for a 55" TV. Those are very different.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tacier posted:

I'll be buying a new TV for the first time in 11 years whenever the PS5 is released. It sounds like OLED is currently the gold standard, but cumulative burn-in seems to be unavoidable according to countless firsthand testimonials from people using their sets a normal amount and with varied content.

I'm not a heavy user (less than 1hr/night on average), but as someone who tends to keep his TV for a decade, LED is probably the safest choice for me, right?

If you're really worried, Best Buy's extended warranty covers burn-in for 5 years for like $500ish. I have no idea how they keep people from abusing that, but folks on Reddit who bought the early OLEDs and have needed it seem to be happy with it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shyfted One posted:

What height should I mount my TV? I keep seeing either ~60" or 42" (eye height) for a 55" TV. Those are very different.

I hate looking up at my TV. I usually try to have the very bottom of the TV 3 feet off the ground. It depends on how high your sofa sits too and your entertainment center.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

This is about 42" centered. It just seems low even though it's higher than our old TV was with a stand. I also now realize that I'm going to need another entertainment center or something because the bottom is only slightly higher than my 1 year olds head. It's going to be touched so much unless I put something in the way.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 6, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shyfted One posted:

This is about 42" centered. It just seems low even though it's higher than our old TV was with a stand. I also now realize that I'm going to need another entertainment center or something because the bottom is only slightly higher than my 1 year olds head. It's going to be touched so much unless I put something in the way.

Maybe it's the angle the picture is taken at, but, sitting in that chair it almost looks like you'd be looking down at the TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shyfted One posted:

The rule I've always heard for TVs and projectors is to aim for your eye level in the primary viewing positions to be somewhere in the 1/3 to 1/2 way up the image range, so more of the screen is above eye level than below. My seated eye level ranges from 38-42" depending on if I'm sitting more vertical or slouched, with a 55" screen being 27" vertical that means I'd want the center of the screen roughly 43.5" off the ground and maybe a bit lower.

That said, at least at normal living room viewing distances it's not really that big of a deal. Look straight ahead from your primary viewing position(s). Put the TV somewhere in that area. As long as you don't need to hold your head at an uncomfortable angle when watching you're probably fine. It's more important to think about when you're filling a significant part of the viewer's field of view like with a projector or a very large flat screen in a small room.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 6, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Shyfted One posted:

Rule of thumb is that the top of your frame should be at eye height last I remember.

It definitely feels annoying to look "up" at a TV to me. Make sure to average it between the eye height of the people in the house.

I recently found some random stuff to put under my TV, because it was still too low relative to eye height, so eye height seems pretty perfect. I wonder what people with projectors do since that must be pretty high up.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 7, 2020

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Did HBO start streaming in 4K without an announcement? I swear the latest episode of The Outsider is in 4K.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
This isn't the most on-topic post but I figure there's enough overlap to justify asking it here in lieu of making a new thread and there doesn't appear to be a thread about physical media...

Ever hear of Blu-Ray discs that get wet and are no longer readable despite there not appearing to be any physical marks on the disc?

Yeah, I went through a pipe burst flood incident recently and 2 of my 3D BR discs were in the line of fire, label-side down. (That'll teach me to be lazy about putting them back in the cases ASAP...) The weird part is, one disc is working/playing/3D displaying just fine and I haven't given it an inner-edge-to-outer super-buffing via damp-dry microfibre cloth; there's still water/dry dust marks on the data side but there's no no problem playing it on both my PC and PS4. The other one looks totally fine and brand new...and the best I can get is my PS4 to recognize what movie it is and have its icon on the menu but as soon as I try to play it, I get a "Cannot read the disc" error and before the latest round of buffing, my PC's drive couldn't even recognize the disc. Online info doesn't really cover this sort of scenario and while I have 3 players, I doubt the PS3's would fare any better. (Also I'd bet money that the set is long discontinued and a replacement disc probably isn't available.)

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of besides more hand buffing and hoping is MAYBE a resurfacer but the last time I ever used mine was on audio CDs; I presume 3D BRs are far more sensitive. Maybe a local game shop's more pro machine? There's really no physical imperfections that I can see, even when holding it up to light.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
This is only semi related but I'm looking to buy my first house soon but why are there only houses with room for the TV above the fireplace?! Pretty much all the houses are 80+ years old so they weren't considering that but I imagine the remodels all happened within the last 20 years. I feel like the newer ones are even more likely to have it that way now just because that became the norm. There's other crap in the way so there aren't really alternate placements either.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
People loving love hanging their tv above their fireplace. poo poo is wild but what are you gonna do?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Agent Escalus posted:

Ever hear of Blu-Ray discs that get wet and are no longer readable despite there not appearing to be any physical marks on the disc?

Yeah, I've seen that.

The odd thing is that they can work in some players and not others. The same thing can happen with all optical media and :iiam: why different players have varying levels of success playing things. i.e. the same disc not playing at all, disc getting stuck at a certain time, disc showing pixelation at points, disc playing normally (depending on the player).

I've had discs that look perfect that won't play and discs that looked like someone ran a power sander on them that will play.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally got my LG E9 65 inch. I got it from Greentoe via Beach Camera, which shipped via Fedex, which was a giant PITA. Anyways, after renting a truck from Home Depot and picking it up myself, it's in and installed.

1. The "best" quality for Netflix/Amazon will be via the internal apps, correct?
2. How is my LG remote controlling my Apple TV? I have my Apple TV connected to my old lovely HK receiver (which I will need to replace) which is connected to my LG, so CEC shouldn't work, right?
3. Is there a preferred quick/easy way to calibrate it, before I try to do something more serious myself/get someone to do it?
4. Holy poo poo does this (Grand Tour right now) look good, although I think my 2007 Panasonic 42" 720p plasma may have it beat. :v:

edit: Holy poo poo the Grand Tour looks SO good. I can make out the texture in the shirts they're wearing. :aaa:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 11, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What kind of price did you get? Looking at the C9 is $2200 Best buy.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

wandler20 posted:

What kind of price did you get? Looking at the C9 is $2200 Best buy.

You may be able to get a better deal through Greentoe or something, I bought from Best Buy because I wanted to know who I was buying from, and guarantee I wouldn't have to deal with something like getting a giant TV delivered through FedEx. Depends on how much you're willing to pay for convenience, and you might get lucky on Greentoe and get Best Buy or similar anyway.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, time to upgrade to 4K. I'm a cheap-rear end who is looking to get the biggest screen possible for the least amount of money. I've gathered this means getting a TCL, though I'm leaning toward the 65" over the 55" because it's for my living room TV. I care about HDR more than anything else because I see that as the biggest upgrade over my highly mediocre Vizio, so any other bells and whistles aren't a big deal.

So what I'm wondering is, is the TCL 6 series really that much of an upgrade over the 4/5? I see that the 65 series 6 is at $750 on Amazon and Newegg at the moment. Am I going to find it cheaper than that online anytime in the next couple of months? I'm in NYC so I could also hit up Best Buy/Target if buying in person is going to be significantly cheaper. The 55" isn't out of the question for me, but it's a lot more palatable at $400 that Shyfted One cited than the $550/650 that I'm seeing online.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

feedmyleg posted:

I care about HDR more than anything else...

So what I'm wondering is, is the TCL 6 series really that much of an upgrade over the 4/5?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Never cheap out on your office chair, your mattress and your main TV.