Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I thought that were comprised of procedurally generated chunks like the normal ships are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The magic words "procedurally generated variations" were used to describe them in the patch notes so yeah, I'd expect they all look different.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 6, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I encountered a bug in the base building quest line. I’m supposed to be looking for A weapons expert (built the terminal already) but every vy’keen technician I meet wants to be an exocraft technician. Anyone else seen this and gotten past it? I don’t have a quest marker for it either

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jenny Agutter posted:

I encountered a bug in the base building quest line. I’m supposed to be looking for A weapons expert (built the terminal already) but every vy’keen technician I meet wants to be an exocraft technician. Anyone else seen this and gotten past it? I don’t have a quest marker for it either

I didn't do that quest this go-round, so it's been a while, but is a specific galaxy getting tagged with the quest icon? If so, try going there and seeing if theres a guy with a thing floating over their head.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

And just like that I found the dude just talking to random vy’keen

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Do all living ships look the same? Do their appearances change at all with time (as they grow??)? Or is this something we don't really know yet, as people are still figuring the living ship stuff out?

They all look somewhat similar and all have a base structure, but have various components that are procedurally generated, like the outer hull of the cockpit can have a ridge in the 'window' or crest on it, and the arm things can be shaped differently, they can have different (or no) antennas, the plates that run aft of the ship can be different shapes and sizes, etc.

There really is a lot of variation to them.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 6, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A picture from a redditor with way too much time on his hands:

So not as much variety as the entire range of non-organic ships, but probably comparable to every other individual ship line.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Apparently on the "experimental" beta branch, which I don't have access to because I play NMS on my playstation, in the works is the ability to evolve new organs as upgrades for the living ship, using nanites. So ship improvements are in the works.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Apparently on the "experimental" beta branch, which I don't have access to because I play NMS on my playstation, in the works is the ability to evolve new organs as upgrades for the living ship, using nanites. So ship improvements are in the works.

That went live on PS4. You can upgrade an existing upgrade up one letter class for a set amount of nanites. You still need to get a drop from an egg, but at least the C class upgrades can get used and upgraded since they are more common than the A or S class ones.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kadath posted:

That went live on PS4. You can upgrade an existing upgrade up one letter class for a set amount of nanites. You still need to get a drop from an egg, but at least the C class upgrades can get used and upgraded since they are more common than the A or S class ones.

Is there an organ that replicates the function of the Economy Scanner or the Launch Thruster Recharger?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So, uh, how many steps are there in this questline to get the living ships? I've just built the third thing that has ~24 hours cooldown to mature, and I'm wondering if the end is in sight, or if I've got another 12 organs to get together yet.

(Yes, I know about the exploit-type thing of changing your system clock. I don't mind so much the cooldowns, as wondering how much grind there is between cooldowns)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wolfechu posted:

So, uh, how many steps are there in this questline to get the living ships? I've just built the third thing that has ~24 hours cooldown to mature, and I'm wondering if the end is in sight, or if I've got another 12 organs to get together yet.

(Yes, I know about the exploit-type thing of changing your system clock. I don't mind so much the cooldowns, as wondering how much grind there is between cooldowns)

There are 4 four waiting periods, I believe, and a questnon either side of each, for 5.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

Speedball posted:

Is there an organ that replicates the function of the Economy Scanner or the Launch Thruster Recharger?

There are upgrades that take care of the launch thrust recharger, but i haven't seen an economy scanner yet or a conflict scanner.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gwamp posted:

There are upgrades that take care of the launch thrust recharger, but i haven't seen an economy scanner yet or a conflict scanner.

Oh good, that's the most important. I love not having to worry about refueling my launch thrusters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it worth relocating my base if it turns out I'm not near one of the power sites? I found a beautiful planet in my second system and started setting up a "real" base there, but that was before I learned about the natural power generation.

I'm not attached to the base or anything, I'm just wondering if those hotspots are an important factor.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is it worth relocating my base if it turns out I'm not near one of the power sites? I found a beautiful planet in my second system and started setting up a "real" base there, but that was before I learned about the natural power generation.

I'm not attached to the base or anything, I'm just wondering if those hotspots are an important factor.

All it does is save you money and a little space, because instead of having to build enough solar panels and batteries to run all day and all night, you only have to build a handful of electromagnetic generators.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's unlimited, no effort power. If you're not attached to your current location/build I'd say go for it. Be sure to find a location that has a mineral or gas deposit within a 300u radius of your base computer as well for maximum efficiency.

Of course, in a game this open ended, I think I'd take a nice bit of landscape over either of those if I was willing to build a separate industrial / agricultural base.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, my base is pretty much only two rooms, a corridor, and a landing pad so moving it won't be a hassle. I was planning on rearranging it anyway since I put my rooms a ways away from my base computer.

I guess the trick now is just finding a spot that looks good and has the power spots, but given the planet that shouldn't be too hard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scout around nearby your base because you might have one nearby that you can just pipe over to.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Scout around nearby your base because you might have one nearby that you can just pipe over to.

There is one, but it's underwater.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Do all living ships look the same? Do their appearances change at all with time (as they grow??)? Or is this something we don't really know yet, as people are still figuring the living ship stuff out?

Follow-up:

So, if you ever get another void egg, you can boost through space, get the encounter, "hatch" the egg, and you get a marker on a planet. Go there, land, check out the ship, and you can pay 10,000 nanites for the OPTION to swap it with your current ship. (Edit - or get it outright if you have an empty slot)

Or, you can abandon it before paying the nanites, and it refunds you the void egg.

I did this to see what spawns were like, and I think the following is true:

- They only spawn on certain kinds of planets; if the solar system you're in doesn't have one of those kinds, then the marker sends you to a nearby solar system.

- I think each planet has 2 or 3 models on it. Which one spawns is random, but I never saw one spawn on a different planet.

The main distinguishing features are
- the cockpit shape (Cone, or round)
- the hammerhead (yes or no)
- the top tentacles (yes or no)
- arms on the side (yes or no)
- arms on the bottom (yes or no)
- arm shape (round or sharp)
- I think maybe there is a mohawk thing (yes or no)

Here are a few I've run across:

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 9, 2020

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,
You can pay the 10,000 nanites and get a second living ship if you have room.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Gwamp posted:

You can pay the 10,000 nanites and get a second living ship if you have room.

I meant it as a warning that spending the 10,000 nanites means paying the purchase price before getting a chance to see the stats and decide whether to swap if you're full, but now you make me realize I need to check and see if the nanites refund if you decline to accept the ship.

They really need to let us own a couple more ships - there are 9 bays in our freighters, and I don't want visitors anyway dammit, I want more pretty spaceships.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
'Additional ship storage' upgrade modules for freighters would be sweet. Maybe a way to have 6 'active' in the hanger at a time and then however many others mothballed out of sight, swap them in or out of the hangar deck.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What we really need is the ability to straight up purchase ships we like, instead of this RNG-slotmachine nonsense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It blows my mind ship customisation still isn’t a thing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

Or give the ship scrap machine an option to pull it apart into modules. Get enough modules of the type you want and build the ship you want. It already does that exploded 3d view.. just progress that naturally.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

What we really need is the ability to straight up purchase ships we like, instead of this RNG-slotmachine nonsense.

The_Doctor posted:

I think when the core gameplay principal is "discovery," its anathema to have a marketplace of some sort where you can just buy exactly whatever you want with the copious amounts of in game currency that pretty much everyone has anymore.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Count me in as someone who really enjoys the feeling of just playing the game, hitting up a trading outpost to fence some alien heirlooms on some dog trash 3/10 moon only to see an incredibly rad science class ship land in front of me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

I think when the core gameplay principal is "discovery," its anathema to have a marketplace of some sort where you can just buy exactly whatever you want with the copious amounts of in game currency that pretty much everyone has anymore.

This works fairly well with normal ships, as there are so many variants flying around it's easy to find one you like and then stay with it through the new upgrade system.

But what exactly are we "discovering" with the new egg ships? You'll have to buy an egg first using another currency, then you have to wait a lot and also go through several stages to maybe get a ship you don't actually like. Then apparently you can later find/buy more eggs to switch, but it costs 10k nanites and you have to awkwardly put up a manual save first, as you aren't told what the new ship is like until after you switched?

I think the only thing you are discovering here is the wonders of nature, because if you deal with all that poo poo you'll switch off your PS4 and go outside for a while

Separately from that, the first egg is something you have to buy from a shop. Yeah, that really screams discovery at you, am I right? Next time I'm grocery shopping, I'll have to be real careful to not start orgasming from all those awesome discoveries I'm making when buying poo poo

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

But what exactly are we "discovering" with the new egg ships?

Why are you yelling at me

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
And to clarify:

- When you use the second egg and get the coordinates, you get to see the ship before choosing whether to pay the nanites to see the stats and slots. The stat ranges aren't that wide, and they're all S-Class ships with max slots, and the upgrade modules boost everything so much that base stats don't even matter, so I don't really know what else you're missing out on.

- Also, you can still save scum ship styles with your first egg; you just have to travel to different solar systems before activating the final step in the mission series.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

And to clarify:

- When you use the second egg and get the coordinates, you get to see the ship before choosing whether to pay the nanites to see the stats and slots. The stat ranges aren't that wide, and they're all S-Class ships with max slots, and the upgrade modules boost everything so much that base stats don't even matter, so I don't really know what else you're missing out on.

- Also, you can still save scum ship styles with your first egg; you just have to travel to different solar systems before activating the final step in the mission series.

That's slightly better, but it's still a dumb, tedious time sink. I already feared you had to buy the second egg. Since you already can't "discover" the first on -> It's sitting right there inside a shop!

Also, I wasn't yelling, as you should know, since no-one "yelling" takes their time to carefully craft sarcastic comments

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

That's slightly better, but it's still a dumb, tedious time sink. I already feared you had to buy the second egg. Since you already can't "discover" the first on -> It's sitting right there inside a shop!

Also, I wasn't yelling, as you should know, since no-one "yelling" takes their time to carefully craft sarcastic comments

I think you're missing some components of the process:

1) All eggs (first, second, eighty seventh) cost 3200 quicksilver. Lots of people (like me), however, are getting them randomly given to them by faceless good Samaritans in the nexus. I've discovered the deep, dark secret behind why this is.

2) the 5 step mission process only happens for the first egg you ever try to hatch. All eggs you try to hatch after that just give you the coordinates.

3) The ultimate style of the ship you get from hatching an Egg is dependent on what planet the coordinates send you to.

blarzgh posted:

- They only spawn on certain kinds of planets; if the solar system you're in doesn't have one of those kinds, then the marker sends you to a nearby solar system.

- I think each planet has 2 or 3 models on it. Which one spawns is random, but I never saw one spawn on a different planet.

The main distinguishing features are
- the cockpit shape (Cone, or round)
- the hammerhead (yes or no)
- the top tentacles (yes or no)
- arms on the side (yes or no)
- arms on the bottom (yes or no)
- arm shape (round or sharp)
- I think maybe there is a mohawk thing (yes or no)

So, if you're particularly choosy about your living ship, all you have to do is manipulate the coordinates you get from an egg to browse the available styles. You can do this with your first Egg, even, by manually saving the game before completing the last step of the mission - the one where you boost through space and it finally gives you the coordinates.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
To manipulate the coordinates for the Void Egg mission, you have to

1) Manually save after returning back through the portal.
2) Ignore the communicator message
3) Warp or portal somewhere else, and then get the message.
4) Check the style of ship and decide whether to pick that one or reload and return to step 2.

Here is a very comprehensive guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUPzFpQmQc8

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

A quick question; hit a brick wall with the living ship questline, because I haven't gotten far enough in the Artemis line to get the portal glyphs yet. Can I just... fly to the system? It seems to be about a dozen jumps away (I've seen people saying it can be up to 100 away, so I might have gotten lucky), but is it still going to spawn whatever's next in the questline, or do I need to get there via portal for it to show up?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I guess I got super lucky that my first Living Ship was S-class...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

I guess I got super lucky that my first Living Ship was S-class...

Whos gonna tell them?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So given the following recipes:

Ionised Cobalt x1 + Oxygen x2 → Ionised Cobalt x6
Condensed Carbon x1 + Oxygen x2 → Condensed Carbon x6

And given that you can harvest oxygen automatically with an Oxygen Harvester, is it basically therefore trivial to set up a self-fuelling self-sustaining infinite money machine by setting up a bunch of oxygen harvs, and then powering them with your infinite Condensed Carbon while you generate infinite Ionised Cobalt to sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's quite a number of infinite refining loops where the limit is really just your desire to do it since you can't automate any of the steps.

The simplest I can think of is Indium -> Chromatic Metal.

2 Indium -> 4 Chromatic Metal
4 Indium + 4 Chromatic Metal -> 8 Indium

Other than the Dihydrogen <-> Jelly bounce which is absolutely terrible to do due to the stack limit of jelly.