Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is that not just a giggles twitter? I thought that was the whole schtick when they mentioned receiving their 800th f22 which had less than 300 built and wasnt sold to the RAF last i knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

It's a gimmick account, they just post crazy poo poo and watch people get riled up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Stravag posted:

Is that not just a giggles twitter? I thought that was the whole schtick when they mentioned receiving their 800th f22 which had less than 300 built and wasnt sold to the RAF last i knew

I didn't even notice that it said 850th F22, just noticed it said F35 for the first one :downs:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

tylertfb posted:

Ok I tried to do some quick calculations on a 1600km cannon and by my figuring you have to have a ~7300 m/s muzzle velocity at an 8degree angle to reach ~1600km and keep the shot in the lower mesosphere (60km high). This seems...kind of extreme.

You could do it with a nuclear cannon. The nuclear part is the powder charge.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
There’s no RAF station at Luton, it’s a joke account.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

monkeytennis posted:

There’s no RAF station at Luton, it’s a joke account.

TBF, it looks like there was one during WW2, No. 264 Squadron (KV) flew Boulton Paul Defiants (:shudder:) out of there.

Although I strongly suspect "was an RAF station" could be said of every airport in the east or south of England during that period?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Schadenboner posted:

TBF, it looks like there was one during WW2, No. 264 Squadron (KV) flew Boulton Paul Defiants (:shudder:) out of there.

Although I strongly suspect "was an RAF station" could be said of every patch of level, well-drained open field in the east or south of England during that period?

After all, Orwell didn't invent the name Airstrip One out of whole cloth.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

If you could put a workable 1,600km range gun on a frigate sized ship

Except for the brief portion of powered flight, this is just a ballistic missile.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

, it would obsolete carriers.

And this is definitely what China hopes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Are there any examples of "guided" artillery projectiles in practical use today? That's a serious question since I'm not very knowledgeable about modern artillery, but it seems like if you put a 1000nm guidance capability on a shell you're like 70% of the way to a cruise missile and about 99% of a JDAM, and those things aren't exactly cheap enough to use for massed bombardment. That was the whole issue with the AGS on the USS Zumwalt, they designed it to exclusively use these completely bonkers wunderwaffen projectiles that were so expensive they never bought any. So now the gun is just dead weight and wasted space.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Are there any examples of "guided" artillery projectiles in practical use today? That's a serious question since I'm not very knowledgeable about modern artillery, but it seems like if you put a 1000nm guidance capability on a shell you're like 70% of the way to a cruise missile and about 99% of a JDAM, and those things aren't exactly cheap enough to use for massed bombardment. That was the whole issue with the AGS on the USS Zumwalt, they designed it to exclusively use these completely bonkers wunderwaffen projectiles that were so expensive they never bought any. So now the gun is just dead weight and wasted space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M982_Excalibur

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxa0ASS2wp8

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

PGKs for 155 rounds are dirt cheap*

*not dirt cheap

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

At this point I'm pretty sure there's a PGM kit for a refrigerator.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

That's basically JPADS.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Are there any examples of "guided" artillery projectiles in practical use today?

Being laser guided, it has limitations that modern GPS guided munitions don’t, but I think Copperhead reached service in 1982.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1156_Precision_Guidance_Kit

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Neat! And it sounds like it's actually been fairly successful, which is always a surprise.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So the question I have about the hyper-ranged rocket-assisted artillery shell is, how do you get it to hit anything but a stationary target you have a laser pointed at or the exact GPS coordinates of?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You could use whatever seeker heads are in mavericks and hellfires to have it track a target with fins that it only deploys when its in the target area as a quick idea off the top of my head. I dont know if those can independently pick targets or not but its an option. It wouldnt be great but im assuming if youre using a 1600km range rocket assisted artillery shell its because you couldn't get a platform to deploy tomahawks safely so you would go with what you can make fit in the shell and would improve you chances of whatever youre aiming at. It would also depend on what youre trying to hit. Youre not going to try and hit individual tanks from 1600 km out I would imagine, but if youre launching at a ship a radar seeker would probably be an easy and effective option.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 7, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/Xbt5bOX.mp4

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blistex posted:

So the question I have about the hyper-ranged rocket-assisted artillery shell is, how do you get it to hit anything but a stationary target you have a laser pointed at or the exact GPS coordinates of?

Why does it need a requirement to hit things other than the ones you just described?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I didn't realize the 4th anniversary of that was coming up. I should bake a cake or something for the guy who was flying it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I didn't realize the 4th anniversary of that was coming up. I should bake a cake or something for the guy who was flying it.

Was that flight suit ever wearable again after that?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Flikken posted:

Doesn't need to be worn, it has structural rigidity from all the bodily fluids left inside it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Flikken posted:

Probably, the guy's a very good pilot and he said his reaction was pretty much "well, I guess I should add power and raise the gear now".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

poo poo like this wouldn't happen if they used the ISO 8601 standard for their timestamping.

:colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

F 69

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wiegieman posted:

The man has a name, and it's William Perry.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
That dark shirt on the deck was about 6 feet from getting a face full of arrestor wire

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Here's an interview with the pilots of that Hawkeye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da39t2DNYqU

Mazz posted:

That dark shirt on the deck was about 6 feet from getting a face full of arrestor wire

Sounds like someone else did catch it to the face, and then some.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2016/07/14/horrific-cable-mishap-caused-by-maintenance-errors-navy/

quote:

Meanwhile, the No. 4 wire snapped and swung across the flight deck, hitting eight sailors and causing injuries from minor lacerations to broken bones and a cracked skull, some of which the sailors are still healing from months later.
One sailor suffered a fractured skull, multiple non-operable facial fractures, a pulmonary contusion, a fractured pelvis, a broken shin bone and trauma to his genitals, according to the report.. He also damaged both knees, with tears to both his anterior cruciate ligaments, a torn medial collateral ligament and a torn iliotibial band.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nothing some Motrin and change of socks can’t fix.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess I'm surprised it's an even potentially survivable event? I thought the wires were more high-tension than they were, like they were storing "literally cut you in loving half" amounts of energy?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If you get hit with the end of it that snapped yeah youre gonna have a real bad day. If you get smacked by the end that didnt snap it wont have nearly the velocity so it's survivable. I wouldnt want to get hit by either option personally

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
A fun failure mode that could also apply to space elevators!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

One sailor suffered a fractured skull, multiple non-operable facial fractures, a pulmonary contusion, a fractured pelvis, a broken shin bone and trauma to his genitals, according to the report.. He also damaged both knees, with tears to both his anterior cruciate ligaments, a torn medial collateral ligament and a torn iliotibial band

Just put a lethal dose of morphine in me, please and thank you.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kesper North posted:

A cable that could wrap around the earth 3 times? I’m not seeing a problem here.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Probably, the guy's a very good pilot and he said his reaction was pretty much "well, I guess I should add power and raise the gear now".

You should be at full power (well, depending on aircraft, full non-afterburner power) from the moment you touch down anyway, in case something like this happens.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Kesper North posted:

I see someone else also read Red Mars.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I'm surprised it's an even potentially survivable event? I thought the wires were more high-tension than they were, like they were storing "literally cut you in loving half" amounts of energy?

That's a myth, they did it on Mythbusters and couldn't even get a steel cable to cut a watermelon. Sure smack the watermelon across the room though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nylon tow ropes will def. gently caress your world up though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGH_GUbdTeQ