Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
With Dani Moonstar specifically hasn't she also interacted with some sort of generic Native American concept of an afterlife (as imagined by white writers in the 80s) quite a bit too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does she even have valkyrie powers anymore? War of Realms made a big deal about all the valkyries being dead and Jane Foster being the last and only one. I know she got some valkyrie like powers by way of Hela but that more resembles it on a surface level. As for Layla, isn't she just a normal person now? It just looked like her younger self had powers because her adult self downloaded everything she knew into her child self.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No she also had resurrection

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Mephisto calls Dani a "part-timer" over in the Jane Foster series :keke:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Valkyrie has actually dealt with the mutant resurrection process as part of creating the Death of Death, a new cosmic avatar that tried to kill Death as she had lost meaning

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, dani's over in valkyrie? guess i need to start reading that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, dani's over in valkyrie? guess i need to start reading that.

She's only mentioned.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

But it's still really worth reading.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New Mutants busting out with the century's best returning characters.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Leech defeated Artie in mutant bloodsport.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I know it's a throwaway gag but how would Leech and Artie even be on the island? Did Reed and Sue just up and forget they adopted them?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cable #1, okay so Silver Samurai dunking on Wolverine was hilarious. Space Knights! Old Cable? Fun adventures with a sense of humor! Holy crap, I liked a Cable book!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

hcreight posted:

I know it's a throwaway gag but how would Leech and Artie even be on the island? Did Reed and Sue just up and forget they adopted them?

Man, that makes Reed and Sue look even worse in FF/XM.

"DON'T TAKE OUR KID!"

"What about these minors you're in charge of? Can we have them?"

"... who?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
I mean despite it being comicbookland where people are in two places at once, I sort of assumed that X-Men/FF was taking place slightly in the past, as Kate being dead is very much a big thing in the X books and yet she's a pretty major character in XMen/FF so, maybe Reed and Sue get over it by the end of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hcreight posted:

Nobody read Future Foundation. :smith:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I did get a kick out of blink and nightcrawler pulling a draw, as well as dazzler beating jubilee.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
What I got a kick out of was in X-Men, that Petra and Sway got brought back by the resurrection protocols.

Those were two of the members of Gabriel's abortive X-Men team from Deadly Genesis. I think this is the third issue of anything that either of them have ever been in.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 11, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
A co-worker purchased House of X hardcover and holy poo poo did I like it (I wasn't wild about the Ascension stuff, but in the end I thought it paid off.) Can I JUST read X-Men (Vol 5) will the continuing story make sense? I don't want to have to read like 17 different X books

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SalTheBard posted:

A co-worker purchased House of X hardcover and holy poo poo did I like it (I wasn't wild about the Ascension stuff, but in the end I thought it paid off.) Can I JUST read X-Men (Vol 5) will the continuing story make sense? I don't want to have to read like 17 different X books

Some things tie over but honestly most of the books have been self-contained so far. X-Men specifically has been doing it's own thing other than a reference that Xavier makes in an issue about being assassinated which happened in an issue of X-Force. So yeah, jump it. X-Men rules, the Hickman-written New Mutants books have been great, and Marauders is awesome.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I love everything Hickman so thank you for the advice!

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
The most recent X-Men issue does tie directly into the last New Mutants arc however.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that arena record filled me with joy

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Cable #1 was approximately seven billion times better than I expected it to be and I am entirely on board.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

SalTheBard posted:

(Hi Sal) if you like the Krakoa stuff I would read X-Men and then maybe Marauders (if you want more Krakoan politics) or X-Force (for individual’s interactions with Krakoa)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Sandwolf posted:

(Hi Sal) if you like the Krakoa stuff I would read X-Men and then maybe Marauders (if you want more Krakoan politics) or X-Force (for individual’s interactions with Krakoa)

I would also add New Mutants, which became very relevant to X-Men with the most recent issue of X-Men.

I would not read Fallen Angels, which is terrible, and Excalibur, which isn't bad per say, but also doesn't seem to have much if anything to do with any of the other books. (Which is in the fine tradition of Excalibur going back to Claremont and Davis, when you get right down to it.)

Cable seems to be emerging from a plotline in an early issue of X-Men, and further is delightful, so I'd recommend that as well even if the case for relevance is somewhat dicier.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have a question (and maybe this has been answered already, if not, no biggie).

Is the current X-Men run in it's own timeline (like for example Age of Apocalypse) or is this still the same X-Men timeline that started with X-Men #1? I was confused because the Life of Moira stuff makes me think that this is a new timeline, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SalTheBard posted:

I have a question (and maybe this has been answered already, if not, no biggie).

Is the current X-Men run in it's own timeline (like for example Age of Apocalypse) or is this still the same X-Men timeline that started with X-Men #1? I was confused because the Life of Moira stuff makes me think that this is a new timeline, but I'm not 100% sure.

It seems to be the current, real Marvel continuity, and has been the entire time.

The idea is that everything that happened in previous X-men continuity really happened, but some of it has been retconned into having different underlying reasons. Moira manipulated events, or convinced Charles to manipulate events (including possibly selectively editing his own memories) to ensure that the X-men would be in a position to exploit Krakoa at the moment that Moira predicted the Sentinel-tech tipping point would come.

Also, props to X-men number 8 for reminding everyone that his name is Blackagar Boltagon.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 11, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SalTheBard posted:

The current Moira Life (X) is what the "regular" Marvel timeline (or Universe 616) has been showing in comics for ever. Or at least that's the explanation we've got for now.

This brings us lots of questions about the ramifications of Moira's other lives on the multiverse, the ethics of some of her decisions, what happens if she dies again or what happens if she dies and then dies again before her powers manifest, etc. Frankly, it's probably best to not think too hard about it.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

I would also add New Mutants, which became very relevant to X-Men with the most recent issue of X-Men.

I would not read Fallen Angels, which is terrible, and Excalibur, which isn't bad per say, but also doesn't seem to have much if anything to do with any of the other books. (Which is in the fine tradition of Excalibur going back to Claremont and Davis, when you get right down to it.)

Cable seems to be emerging from a plotline in an early issue of X-Men, and further is delightful, so I'd recommend that as well even if the case for relevance is somewhat dicier.

As someone who read the entire run of Fallen Angels it is indeed terrible but might have something to do with the upcoming Hellions, though I sincerely doubt it will actually be necessary.

I actually do recommend Excalibur even though it on occasionally intersects with the rest of the X books because the story has really started to come into it's own and I am really digging the art style for some reason and the current take on Apocalypse (sorry, -=A=-).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Moira manipulated events, or convinced Charles to manipulate events (including possibly selectively editing his own memories) to ensure that the X-men would be in a position to exploit Krakoa at the moment that Moira predicted the Sentinel-tech tipping point would come.

Still not sure about that last point given what we know now thanks to Mystique. Nothing in the text links the founding of Krakoa to the suicide mission and in fact the text says the opposite: Orchis was initiated in response to Krakoa, not the other way around. If Moira knew this then she purposely triggered Orchis, which she could have done another time if it was all a plot for them to show their hand.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

danbanana posted:

The current Moira Life (X) is what the "regular" Marvel timeline (or Universe 616) has been showing in comics for ever. Or at least that's the explanation we've got for now.

This brings us lots of questions about the ramifications of Moira's other lives on the multiverse, the ethics of some of her decisions, what happens if she dies again or what happens if she dies and then dies again before her powers manifest, etc. Frankly, it's probably best to not think too hard about it.

Oh ok I didn't know 616 was still a thing after Secret Wars! Thank you.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SalTheBard posted:

I think management said they didn't want to call it that anymore but it still works as shorthand for the "regular" universe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SalTheBard posted:

Franklin Richards rebuilt the multiverse so the numbering's back in effect.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

LifeGetsWorser posted:

As someone who read the entire run of Fallen Angels it is indeed terrible but might have something to do with the upcoming Hellions, though I sincerely doubt it will actually be necessary.

I actually do recommend Excalibur even though it on occasionally intersects with the rest of the X books because the story has really started to come into it's own and I am really digging the art style for some reason and the current take on Apocalypse (sorry, -=A=-).

Oh, I'm enjoying Excalibur as well, but the question was how many books do you need to read to keep up with X-Men? And those would be X-Men, X-Force, and New Mutants.

Marauders, Cable, X-Men/Fantastic Four, and X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost are all tangentially related and add value, and are good books as well, but aren't strictly speaking necessary.

Excalibur and Wolverine are good books in their own right, but if you're looking for places to make cuts to keep to the "core story" these have to be considered skippable since they really don't impact anything else at all.

Fallen Angels should be skipped both because it isn't relevant and because it sucks. :colbert:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Franklin Richards rebuilt the multiverse so the numbering's back in effect.

Oh Christ wow I've missed a lot since Secret Wats

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
wheezing like a madman at cyclops' begrudging utterance at vulcan's insistence

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Update: Vulcan never died

That's some good poo poo and, as long as the documents can continue to be trusted, sets aside that speculation Krakoa did something to him (which I always hated as a notion). He had a traumatic experience, came home, found his brothers ready to welcome him with open arms, despite everything, and now spends half his time being a member of the family and half his time blasted out of his mind with his old team.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

SalTheBard posted:

Oh Christ wow I've missed a lot since Secret Wats

That was technically how secret wars ended. Franklin pretty much out everything back together the way it was as well as brought miles Morales and his family and friends into the 616

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

danbanana posted:

Still not sure about that last point given what we know now thanks to Mystique. Nothing in the text links the founding of Krakoa to the suicide mission and in fact the text says the opposite: Orchis was initiated in response to Krakoa, not the other way around. If Moira knew this then she purposely triggered Orchis, which she could have done another time if it was all a plot for them to show their hand.

p. sure Moira's prior lives demonstrated to her that Orchis-or-something-like-it was inevitable, and the idea wasn't so much "Get everyone to Krakoa in order to trigger Orchis' foundation" and more "Orchis is coming no matter what we do, so Krakoa will put us into position to deal with that." I could be wrong, of course, but that's my read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

That was technically how secret wars ended. Franklin pretty much out everything back together the way it was as well as brought miles Morales and his family and friends into the 616

That last bit was Molecule Man, who greatly appreciated the week old gas station hamburger Miles carries in the pocket of his costume.