Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, I got a decent start in fantasy sumo. No big surprises from today's matches, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

drat it feels good to have top class sumo back on the menu. I feel bad for Tochinoshin, he used to be such a powerhouse. Kagayaki with a very good recovery for his win. Mitakeumi smashed Enho in the end, I wonder if Enho will now vary his tactics to try and add the element of surprise again, he's a little ball of maximum effort so he can do it. Shodai and Asanoyama starting as well as they finished the last basho, they are both in some great form at the moment. I enjoyed the Asanoyama vs Okinoumi bout but never felt that it was going to be anything other than an Asanoyama win, Okinoumi did well to survive as long as he did.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1236780222319595523

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

anakha posted:

I saw some envelopes still getting handed out today. How does that work if there's no audience to advertise to?

A few days after it was announced that it'd be a closed arena, the advertisers were given a chance to back out. Apparently some went ahead with it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

thetedster posted:

A few days after it was announced that it'd be a closed arena, the advertisers were given a chance to back out. Apparently some went ahead with it.

Some of them are personal sponsors that are doing it more to back their guy than for the publicity. Like I’ve read in the past there are some that are companies from the wrestler’s home town, or have their offices in the neihbourhood of their stable and I’d assume those guys would continue to put up the cash.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's also broadcast on TV, so a home audience can still see the banners.

Fairly decent sumo today, I really liked Yutakayama against Hokutofuji showing good, powerful thrusting sumo.

Tell you what, dealing with fantasy is so much easier that I only have to input the days results once. Glad I was finally forced to improve my spreadsheet.

Day 1 standings:

code:
anakha		 5
Banana Canada 	 1
bartolimu	 4
Bentai		 3
bessantj	 2
Charles Gnarwin	 1
Dias		 4
GoatSeeGuy	 2
ilmucche	 2
jmzero		 2
Jobbo_Fett	 3
Kenning		 4
Lid		 3
LlamaTrauma	 2
Maigius		 3
Marching Powder	 4
Martytoof	 2
pseudodragon 	 3
QuasiQuack	 2
riderchop	 1
Robviously	 3
Scythe		 2
sivad		 5
Spokes		 3
whats for dinner 1
Nice clean sweep on opening day by anakha and sivad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i thought i did unusually well on day 1 in the fantasy league. now it seems i'm back on form.

tochinoshin is insanely done. i hope he retires soon. surely he couldn't need to stay in and fight like this... salt bae had a fantastic victory, chiyomaru is 2-0 and enho got his signature win and looked great doing it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah. Unless something major changes, I think this will be his last basho.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hakuho is looking vicious this tournament. not necessarily looking like the best sumo wrestler, but definitely the biggest dick at the gangbang. there was probably a better metaphor. kakuryu drat near came back from the brink but ultimately suffered an upset, same with takakeisho. didn't see either of those guys going down like that, but both started poorly and were unable to recover. shodai is fighting like a man who really, really wants to win, and he is 100% the dude to watch imo.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Caught up on the last two days with Natto's recaps. Disappointing day 1 for my fantasy stable but it's still early days!

Day 2, I laughed like a goddamn idiot at Natto adding crowd noises for Terutsuyoshi's salt throw. Enho looked amazing circling around Ryuden like that and the finishing trip/throw was rad. Tochinoshin looked happier just to not be injured than anything else, at the end of today's bout.

Marching Powder posted:

shodai is fighting like a man who really, really wants to win, and he is 100% the dude to watch imo.[/spoiler]

yeah, definitely.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why are you doing this to me Tochinoshin?

I believed in you!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Enjoyed today's events (not just because all my guys won! Great result for Hokutofuji.

Also in a very timely manner our own Kim Justice has brought us A History of the Best Sumo Wrestling Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS0mi5kw6BY

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man the quiet arena is definitely very weird.

Day 2 standings:

code:
anakha			7
Banana Canada		3
bartolimu		7
Bentai			6
bessantj		7
Charles Gnarwin		4
Dias			7
GoatSeeGuy		6
ilmucche		4
jmzero			4
Jobbo_Fett		6
Kenning			6
Lid			6
LlamaTrauma		5
Maigius			5
Marching Powder		5
Martytoof		5
pseudodragon		6
QuasiQuack		6
riderchop		4
Robviously		5
Scythe			5
sivad			9
Spokes			7
whats for dinner	4

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gutted to have missed out on the fantasy league but very happy with the results for some of my favourites so far.

(Am I alone in rooting for anyone with good sideburns? An under-appreciated feature of any sumo look)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My boy Kaisei was probably not the best low Maegashira pick, was he? National pride means I gotta stick with him tho. I still think he can go 8-7.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Beeswax posted:

Gutted to have missed out on the fantasy league but very happy with the results for some of my favourites so far.

(Am I alone in rooting for anyone with good sideburns? An under-appreciated feature of any sumo look)

If you want, I can add you in after the fact. You probably won't win, but you can root along.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Dias posted:

My boy Kaisei was probably not the best low Maegashira pick, was he? National pride means I gotta stick with him tho. I still think he can go 8-7.

That's still so weird to me, it seems like just recently he was comfortably hanging out near M1 and now he can barely stay in the division.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was looking at some Juryo stuff and poor old Ichinojo he seems to be sinking further and further down the ranks. Hidenoumi is on a bit of a run, I wonder if he can make it into the Makuuchi division for the next basho.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

If you want, I can add you in after the fact. You probably won't win, but you can root along.

I'll wait for the next basho but thanks very much :)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I'm right where i expected to be in the fantasy basho, close to licking the bottom of the barrel :smuggo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Next draft I participate in I'm gonna pick the dudes with the best kesho-mawashis

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Next draft I participate in I'm gonna pick the dudes with the best kesho-mawashis

Keep in mind they almost all have more than one and may change them day by day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brut posted:

Keep in mind they almost all have more than one and may change them day by day.

Even better, not only does it fuel randomness but it incites trading.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This basho is not going well for my team already. That's what I get for picking with my heart.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is there a reason tochinoshin seems to always have a bandaid on his rear end during matches?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I assume that’s where they inject the magic potion that keeps his knees from reverting to their gelatinous state.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah 'primary site for injection' is a realistic answer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Doping is supposed to make you better not worse!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yep, he's that shot.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
didnt realise we had a sumo thread :-] i follow sumo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

didnt realise we had a sumo thread :-] i follow sumo

Feel free to join our fantasy league. You might not win but you can join 2 days late and probably still beat me which is amusing. Who is your favourite stoic obese man?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Feel free to join our fantasy league. You might not win but you can join 2 days late and probably still beat me which is amusing. Who is your favourite stoic obese man?

i liked harumafuji until he retired a lot ... he lived in hakuhos shadow but he was very very good. i also like kakuyru too even though he wasn't as strong as the other two. he could really turn it on sometimes

in the lower ranks i like the tiny guy whos making a name for himself at the moment, enho, but who doesnt right? i think asanoyama is going to have a good career too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i liked harumafuji until he retired a lot ... he lived in hakuhos shadow but he was very very good. i also like kakuyru too even though he wasn't as strong as the other two. he could really turn it on sometimes

in the lower ranks i like the tiny guy whos making a name for himself at the moment, enho, but who doesnt right? i think asanoyama is going to have a good career too

yeah i'm a fan of kakuryu too. his victory on day 1 was really pretty to watch. some great 'pure' sumo.

and i'm sure it sucks for the sumo org and all, but i'm strangely appreciating to see / hear everything that's going on with no spectators in the house. it's really unique and glad i'm getting to experience it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'm glad i picked kotonowaka, not because he's doing amazingly but because i think he's a kid to watch. apparently his granddad was a yokozuna and his dad was a... sekiwake i think? anyway he's got stuff to live up to and seems to have a lot of talent. his win tonight was amazing. and 3-0 chiyomaru! i love the giant cloud man who is winning. he's going to win this tournament because everything is insane.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
is there a cheat sheet to identify who is on the basho at any given moment

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

is there a cheat sheet to identify who is on the basho at any given moment

i just go here, it's updated in real time so whoever's on the dohyo but doesn't have a result recorded are the dudes fighting

http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/torikumi/1/3/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also i watch here which generally has an english speaking commentator who is often talking about what's actually happening

https://www.twitch.tv/mbovosumo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

what the gently caress is in the water at the chiyo's stable? also, ishiura's win was absolutely loving incredible. he's 110 kgs and enho really does need to get to about that weight. insanely good poo poo.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'm surprised that opponents are willing to give up a tachi-ai against Enho. You would think that the opportunity to slam into someone from a starting position would benefit the heavier and less agile wrestlers.

I'm also surprised that Enho couldn't manage to finish it off, Yutakayama was absolutely gassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fisting by many posted:

I'm surprised that opponents are willing to give up a tachi-ai against Enho. You would think that the opportunity to slam into someone from a starting position would benefit the heavier and less agile wrestlers.

I'm also surprised that Enho couldn't manage to finish it off, Yutakayama was absolutely gassed.

against someone of enho's agility, that's a really good way to run straight off the dohyo