Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Aight so the F-15 has a flawless record of 104-0. Where did it get all those kills? I never got the impression that air to air was particularly common, even in Desert Storm. Did the Israelis plunk that many MiGs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Aight so the F-15 has a flawless record of 104-0. Where did it get all those kills? I never got the impression that air to air was particularly common, even in Desert Storm. Did the Israelis plunk that many MiGs?

Well, at least 2 of them were Black Hawks

Possible one F-15C was shot down, but yes most kills were Syrian and Iraqi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_Eagle#cite_ref-75

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
For spaceflight fans, you may have listened to the BBC's excellent podcast 13 Minutes To The Moon about the Apollo project and specifically focusing on the 13 minutes from when the Apollo 11 lunar module began powered descent until when it landed. It's really excellent and does deep dives into the technology, the personalities of mission control and the flight team, and dissecting what was happening in the module, in mission control, and over the comms between them, listening to the unbroken recording of the landing comms is really gripping once you've grasped what all they're talking about the whole time.

They are starting a second season about the Apollo 13 flight and I'm certain it will be excellent as well - spaceflight fans would be well served to check it out. If you aren't up for committing to a whole podcast series and want to test the waters, episode 10 is kind of the climax and gives you a lot of the excitement of the landing comms audio.

Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

General Battuta posted:

Eagles got 30 kills in Desert Storm. A few more in Allied Force, probably some during N/S Watch at some point. Then there's Israel.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I suppose this is a bit of a video game dork question but, a q about the F-14's sensor package vs other modern fighters:

So I play a little DCS, and in the F-14 module, one of the things I've noticed is that the AWG-9 set in TWS AUTO mode will automatically set up target track files for contacts it detects, without any real interference by the RIO. Of course the RIO can step in and do his thing here but it seems the pilot is A-OK to start rippling off Phoenixes from that point on.

My question is, how come this functionality isn't mirrored in over the F-18 and 16 and whatever else supports active radar homing modes?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was it an F-15E that hit a Mi-24 with a 2000lb bomb while it was airborne or something crazy like that?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Man, this is probably the last Smoll Plane Big Missile combo we'll ever see unless someone manages to slap a BVR on a Tucano or something.

That is, unless I'm mistaken and there are smaller fighter jets than Tiger Shark.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

F5s and f20s are just so adorable

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

JcDent posted:

Man, this is probably the last Smoll Plane Big Missile combo we'll ever see unless someone manages to slap a BVR on a Tucano or something.

That is, unless I'm mistaken and there are smaller fighter jets than Tiger Shark.

Maybe the KAI T-50/FA-50? Google says they're about 4 feet shorter than the F-20, and the supposedly the Philippines wants to convert some of their FA-50's to have BVR intercept capabilities using AIM-7 Sparrows.

edit: how about an Aero L-39 derivative? Surely someone has upsold a third-world air force on having giant missiles to make up for their tiny jets.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 10, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

CIGNX posted:

KAI T-50/FA-50?

Oh my God, it's adooorable

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/tanooma/status/1236995687893446656/photo/1

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

JcDent posted:

Man, this is probably the last Smoll Plane Big Missile combo we'll ever see unless

Harriers are quite small and weigh close to what an an F-20 did, but their chunky shape makes them seem less small. Italy has AMRAAMs on theirs, and the Marines are adding AMRAAMs to their Harriers. Not a dedicated fighter, but a small plane with a modern missile example.

J-8s aren't super small, but they are a single-seat dedicated interceptor, and the most upgraded version can carry a PL-12 missile.

The JF-17 Thunder is pretty small and can carry BVR missiles.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You also have those big fuckoff HVT AAMs Russia and China have continued to develop for shooting at tankers and AWACS. Only seen them on Su-27 derivatives but when you make a Su-27 look average sized you’re a big loving missile.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

The JF-17 Thunder is pretty small and can carry BVR missiles.

How is it as a plane?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Hush Kit article on the Monino air museum. Would love to visit it one day but for the fact it would involve visiting Russia, and there ain’t no way I’ll ever do that.

https://hushkit.net/2020/03/04/the-wise-report-the-monino-monoliths/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JcDent posted:

How is it as a plane?

According to Pakistani cinema, it's unbeatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anv3Y95eL9Q

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

priznat posted:

Was it an F-15E that hit a Mi-24 with a 2000lb bomb while it was airborne or something crazy like that?

The -E's only air-to-air kill in Desert Storm.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Suicide Watch posted:

Well, at least 2 of them were Black Hawks

Possible one F-15C was shot down, but yes most kills were Syrian and Iraqi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_Eagle#cite_ref-75

genuine question, are friendly fire incidents typically counted in air to air victories/losses?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

joat mon posted:

The -E's only air-to-air kill in Desert Storm.

I forget, was it a dumb bomb or laser guided? If it was just lobbed it was some pretty crazy luck.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

priznat posted:

I forget, was it a dumb bomb or laser guided? If it was just lobbed it was some pretty crazy luck.

The WSO (Bakke/Chewie) posted:

“What the radar was seeing was the rotation of the rotor blades, but it couldn’t hold a lock. So I decided to see if I can see them in the targeting pod.” Chewie saw two of the helicopters, or more correctly their rotors spinning in the LANTIRN pod. So he had to transition almost entirely to the pod, since as Bakke explained “the radar wasn’t much help at that point. Our mindset was turning to a ground attack…”

After TB and Chewie directed the other Strike Eagle to remain up in a high-cover and after having received the AWACS confirmation to destroy the enemy helicopters, they armed and selected one of their four GBU-10 Paveway II 2000-lb LGBs (laser guided bombs).

As Bakke himself recalls “TB queries me as to whether I’m good for a release. I’ve got good laser ranging to the target, but I hold off for just a little bit-no technical reason, just a gut feeling. Finally, I call ‘Cleared to Pickle’ and when TB pickles-off 2,000 pounds the aircraft immediately responded by shuttering and lurching upward.”

After having released the bomb TB performed a left designator turn but the GBU-10 time to impact quickly arrived to zero and he believed that the bomb had failed to impact. But at some point the bomb appeared on Chewie display: it was angled nose high, then started down and penetrated through the rotors, and the scintillation of the rotors as they disintegrated was easily discerned in the LANTIRN pod.

The GBU-10 then entered into the cockpit of the helicopter, and while it was coming out of the bottom of the aircraft the fuse delay functioned. Then a tremendous explosion disintegrated the helicopter in a huge fireball.
better source

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mazz posted:

You also have those big fuckoff HVT AAMs Russia and China have continued to develop for shooting at tankers and AWACS. Only seen them on Su-27 derivatives but when you make a Su-27 look average sized you’re a big loving missile.

Er, are big missiles really needed for shooting at tankers? Strikes me that a big plane full of fuel probably doesn't need a big hit to go up in a fireball.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

RangerKarl posted:

I suppose this is a bit of a video game dork question but, a q about the F-14's sensor package vs other modern fighters:

So I play a little DCS, and in the F-14 module, one of the things I've noticed is that the AWG-9 set in TWS AUTO mode will automatically set up target track files for contacts it detects, without any real interference by the RIO. Of course the RIO can step in and do his thing here but it seems the pilot is A-OK to start rippling off Phoenixes from that point on.

My question is, how come this functionality isn't mirrored in over the F-18 and 16 and whatever else supports active radar homing modes?

Fellow DCS dork, TWS auto is actually INOP at the moment, what you describe is just regular TWS. TWS auto is supposed to adjust scan volume and direction to optimize tracking of "prioritized targets".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cythereal posted:

Er, are big missiles really needed for shooting at tankers? Strikes me that a big plane full of fuel probably doesn't need a big hit to go up in a fireball.

Big missile generally mean bigger range. Tankers and AWACS are usually as deep as practically possible in their own airspace.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Those other 2 helos must of thought the Americans had some crazy new missile with that 2000 pound airburst.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Between precision air-to-ground munitions, look-down radars, ATGMs as anti-air, and the like, humanity is always finding new and different ways to turn helicopters to scrap.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

Between precision air-to-ground munitions, look-down radars, ATGMs as anti-air, and the like, humanity is always finding new and different ways to turn helicopters to scrap.

To be fair, so does helicopters.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JcDent posted:

Gripen-C is 30cm shorter (14.1m vs 14.4m for the F-20), however Gripen-D was lengthened to 14.8m.

It still looks funny carrying the RBS-15 anti-ship missile.

Even funnier with the BK90 glide bomb, but that was mothballed in 2012 when Sweden signed the convention on cluster munitions.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:stare: gat drat

Also my favourite chunky boi ordinance will always be the JP233 cluster dispenser

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Xakura posted:

Fellow DCS dork, TWS auto is actually INOP at the moment, what you describe is just regular TWS. TWS auto is supposed to adjust scan volume and direction to optimize tracking of "prioritized targets".

Dangit, did Jabbers screw me on this one?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Xakura posted:

To be fair, so does helicopters.

Don't leave out the people who drive them.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

RangerKarl posted:

Dangit, did Jabbers screw me on this one?

Yeah, seems like it. I just skimmed through his awg-9 video, and he quickly explains what it should do, but not that it is not implemented.

Latest from Heatblur is that tws auto and aim-54 updates are coming in the Q1 update, which should hopefully be soon.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Xakura posted:

Yeah, seems like it. I just skimmed through his awg-9 video, and he quickly explains what it should do, but not that it is not implemented.

Latest from Heatblur is that tws auto and aim-54 updates are coming in the Q1 update, which should hopefully be soon.

Great.

Though I think the original question's premise is still valid; namely, that the AWG-9 IRL can actually auto-prioritize certain tracks and filter them for the RIO's benefit. I suppose whatever filtering algos they use to sieve through the data are so commonplace now they just don't bear any special relevance for marketing/user documentation.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

RangerKarl posted:

Great.

Though I think the original question's premise is still valid; namely, that the AWG-9 IRL can actually auto-prioritize certain tracks and filter them for the RIO's benefit. I suppose whatever filtering algos they use to sieve through the data are so commonplace now they just don't bear any special relevance for marketing/user documentation.

EDIT: the link is faulty but look up the APG-77 or 81 and AESAs in general; I’m pretty sure you’re right in that more modern radars just handle that via software refinement that it’s not really a notable feature; the 77 can provide TWS of up to 10 targets each, the 77v1 might’ve improved on that but you won’t find a ton of hard capability info on the 77v1 or 81. This is 6 more than the internal weapons load of the 22 and it can also share this data between 22s or over Link-16, meaning a 4 ship can track 40. They also provide a whole bunch of modes the AWG-9 (and for some, even the APG-71) couldnt touch.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 11, 2020

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Guest2553 posted:

Don't leave out the people who drive them.

Oh ye of little faith.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

NightGyr posted:

Oh ye of little faith.

:golfclap:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

priznat posted:

:stare: gat drat

Also my favourite chunky boi ordinance will always be the JP233 cluster dispenser

Use this one weird trick to get shot down by AAA! RAF pilots hate it!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A comprehensive history of (fictional) MiGs - with illustrations!

https://hushkit.net/2020/02/06/fictional-mig-fighters-and-the-aircraft-that-inspired-them/

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

quote:

The Firefox is a splendidly ambitious design, supposed able to achieve Mach 6 and to embody a range of advanced technologies, including thought control of it weapons systems (as long as you can think in Russian). Other claimed characteristics include 2 x 50,000-lb thrust engines, flight at up to 130,000 ft, internal carriage of 6 AA-11 missiles, 2x 23mm cannon and chaff and flare dispensing pods.

I love the idea of making a super-high-tech Mach 6 interceptor and then arming it with only IR missiles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love the idea of making a super-high-tech Mach 6 interceptor and then arming it with only IR missiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8tu0ZPfEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Cold War in my VA newsletter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!