Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hakarne posted:

The only thing that sucks are heavy gunners. It takes like 10+ mortars to gib them and it's really slowing me down when I run into them. What's a good skill for dealing with hardened targets like that? I almost exclusively used guns in D1 and D2 so I'm new to skill builds.

For heavy gunners if it’s just them you could try ducking into cover away from them and switching to the sniper turret, I’ve been using the sniper turret some and occasionally it just seems to kill heavies even before their armor is depleted (I’m only on hard though).

I switched to the arty turret last night and it’s real fun, I think I’ll start working on a better gearset for so thanks for the suggestions on what to shoot for.

As for a second skill I’ve been using the sticky bomb launcher for extra boom (plus “needs to go boom NOW” on demand) but there might be something more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Yeah, the only thing keeping me from the artillery turret (besides not being built for it atm) is the atrocious way explosives behave with tanks. Assault/sniper don't have this problem because they know to focus on a single body part to break through armor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shoren posted:

The sniper turret is also really good now. When you're solo it will one-shot reds and strip the armor from purples. Tanks sometimes take direct health damage from it, but otherwise it'll break their chest piece in two to three shots and then they'll go down in two hits. Aiming it can be a bit finicky at times and it's useless at ranges further than 5ft away when it's rainy (and your HUD won't detect far enemies either). For the most part it's a viable alternative.

I've been using sniper turret and stinger and I can do challenging CPs no problem. Just gotta take my time and plunk away at enemies. I accidentally did a heroic by leveling up a control point on the way to it. It took a long time but I got it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SOTG is beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lMKokoEgY

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They're fixing the issue with NPCs not dropping crafting mats. yay.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jose Oquendo posted:

They're fixing the issue with NPCs not dropping crafting mats. yay.

Yay I need the rest of my hardwired poo poo

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

- DZ TTK is definitely not where they want it, kills build diversity
- Hard is about where they want it, might get tweaked slightly
- Purple/Elite/Named enemies in Challenging + co-op scaling is overtuned and will get the most tweaks
- Challenging will still be difficult, they don't want to go back to pre-TU8 with everyone speedrunning it
- They don't want to tweak Heroic or Legendary much if at all, they want something for the hardcore players
- Raids are balanced differently than the rest of the game

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Challenging+ NPCs/activities aren't supposed to be dropping purples at all, report if they do. This doesn't apply to loot containers in the world, they don't scale with difficulty.

They are going to apply NPC balancing/TTK changes to the live game, a PTS would slow down the process

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Is it a trap for me to be rolling with the seasonal (Striker's) set for the 4p bonus, if I'm going Demolitionist with LMG? What should I be prioritizing instead, if so?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Capn Beeb posted:

How do I kill Keener? He just rolled out of my oxidizer fields, EMPed my healer drone, then I got popped by a seeker mine and sniper turret.

This is not super fun

I used nerdz's advice: tier six skills, a crusader shield to get up to him and protect you, oxidizer launcher dumping all the ammo in the spot he spawns on. took like two mags to kill him after that.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Unhinged is really bad now. The penalty for it used to be weapon handling, which is a stat that fractionally affects accuracy, reload speed, stability etc. Now that it directly reduces accuracy and stability you're taking way bigger stat hits for lower gains because the damage boost was also reduced. IMO the best LMG talents right now boil down to Fast Hands, Steady Handed, Strained or Optimist. Steady Handed works best with the Stoner because you get a lot more chances to proc, or if you're using the Gunner exclusive +50 ammo pouch.

As for 0 tier skills, good ones are Oxidizer, Decoy or Blinderfly.

Thanks for the write up, I switched off Unhinged for Fast Hands and swapped my revive hive for Decoy, which seems about as useful and is definitely more fun

Seditiar posted:

I prefer Perfect Frenzy over those LMG abilities.

0 tier skills I run Shield (because it's tier 5 through defense) and reviver Hive as the latter doesn't care much about tier skill either.

Do you solo much with your blue build? I'd like to put together a blue shield build but I'm worried I'd run out of bullets before ever killing a yellow enemy.

Perfect Franzy is the named LMG, right? Sleipnir or something? I was thinking of messing around with that because with the extra fifty rounds from the gunner magazine it seemed really strong, but I'm really enjoying basically never needing to reload with fast hands. Seems again like Frenzy is way better for burst DPS (after reloading on empty) and fast hands maybe better for sustain?

I got a perfect fast hands LMG, a named m60 called "Good Times" and I'm like "why does this exist?" It's 8% per crit reload speed instead of 4%. I guess it's for non-crit builds? But who relies on gun damage without crits?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Roman posted:

Challenging+ NPCs/activities aren't supposed to be dropping purples at all, report if they do. This doesn't apply to loot containers in the world, they don't scale with difficulty.

Does this apply to containers from activities (control points, territory control)?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

reloading is for peasants

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does this apply to containers from activities (control points, territory control)?
i don't think so because those are rewards from activities

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I crafted 20+ LMGs to try and get this one last night, since I've been looking but hadn't found it yet.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

Do you solo much with your blue build? I'd like to put together a blue shield build but I'm worried I'd run out of bullets before ever killing a yellow enemy.

Perfect Franzy is the named LMG, right? Sleipnir or something? I was thinking of messing around with that because with the extra fifty rounds from the gunner magazine it seemed really strong, but I'm really enjoying basically never needing to reload with fast hands. Seems again like Frenzy is way better for burst DPS (after reloading on empty) and fast hands maybe better for sustain?

I'm very new to this game (though to be fair, the expansion reset a ton of stuff), but I do very well solo as well. This is on Challenging a few days ago:

Link with video, don't click if you want to save mobile data.

I do about 20% more damage now and 20% tankier so jumped to Heroic and enemy health feels almost the same as Challenging did here except there are more enemies.

E: Yes, Sleipnir. I'd love to try Bullet King as well but haven't gotten one yet. Though I suspect Sleipnir is a much higher burst LMG, which is great as you don't want enemies scoping up on you while you spray for 30 seconds straight.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Roman posted:

- Purple/Elite/Named enemies in Challenging + co-op scaling is overtuned and will get the most tweaks
- Challenging will still be difficult, they don't want to go back to pre-TU8 with everyone speedrunning it
- They don't want to tweak Heroic or Legendary much if at all, they want something for the hardcore players

all of this sounds good to me, to be honest. Any word on bug fixes?

OgNar posted:

I crafted 20+ LMGs to try and get this one last night, since I've been looking but hadn't found it yet.

get a buddy with sticky foam and you will never, ever reload again

because you will be busy firing hundreds of rounds into stationary targets and forever making steady hands proc

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 11, 2020

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Roman posted:

Looks good, though I'm hoping they reduce the health on 4-player Heroic a little bit. Like 10-20%. 3-player feels so much easier than 4-player.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

OgNar posted:

I have this on a MG45 or whatever the hell its called, the 50 round 800RPM LMG. On my Gunner build I get the +50 Additional rounds for the mag and I am also trying out 4pc patriots set which bumps my rounds in my mag to 130. I can just continually mag dump into yellow boss at 800 RPM and never have to reload.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BadLlama posted:

I have this on a MG45 or whatever the hell its called, the 50 round 800RPM LMG. On my Gunner build I get the +50 Additional rounds for the mag and I am also trying out 4pc patriots set which bumps my rounds in my mag to 130. I can just continually mag dump into yellow boss at 800 RPM and never have to reload.

So if I understand you and the talent description correctly, if you have that talent and an LMG with a 100 round mag, and you don't miss a shot, you get an instant reload?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

So if I understand you and the talent description correctly, if you have that talent and an LMG with a 100 round mag, and you don't miss a shot, you get an instant reload?

Yup

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Qmass posted:

Where help how

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Riker named enemies. The higher the difficulty, the better odds of a drop.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Nice changes, especially the tuning stuff for co-op and challenging difficulty.

Also I have never seen any mob in challenging drop purples. I think people mean world chests and gun crates, which I pretty much figured out it was all junk early on while changing from normal to hard.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Digital Osmosis posted:

I got a perfect fast hands LMG, a named m60 called "Good Times" and I'm like "why does this exist?" It's 8% per crit reload speed instead of 4%. I guess it's for non-crit builds? But who relies on gun damage without crits?

The main issue with Frenzy IMO is that it requires a reload from empty and the bonus is based on how large the magazine size is, combined with having the bonus only last for a few seconds. If there was an easier way to control when you get the bonus I'd use it. At launch, Frenzy was a really good talent to use with the small mag LMGs because they had reload times akin to ARs and the bonus was not mag size dependent.

Perfect Fast Hands on an M60 feels like a total waste; I prefer going for Strained on the slower LMGs to get the big chunky damage numbers and then mod for reload speed.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

The main issue with Frenzy IMO is that it requires a reload from empty and the bonus is based on how large the magazine size is, combined with having the bonus only last for a few seconds. If there was an easier way to control when you get the bonus I'd use it. At launch, Frenzy was a really good talent to use with the small mag LMGs because they had reload times akin to ARs and the bonus was not mag size dependent.

Perfect Fast Hands on an M60 feels like a total waste; I prefer going for Strained on the slower LMGs to get the big chunky damage numbers and then mod for reload speed.

Out of the 130 bullets, only 20-25 are not buffed by my Perfect Frenzy and that's with the lowest base magazine size possible (50). As someone who controls his reloads almost religiously in any shooter, I found it very easy to get used to emptying the magazine.

You're right though, it's definitely something that's not always available on demand. But it's close enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there a good effort post about weapon modding I can reference? Usually I just go for Stability and Accuracy with most weapons.

I got a perfect rolled Glory Daze Assault Rifle last night and was wondering what I should make the third modifier for it, currently I got one with +12% Accuracy but I wasn’t sure if replacing that with something else would be an improvement.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Except for optimization I mostly finished an SMG build. I could always slightly more crit damage or armor regen but I have at least all the attributes I want where they should be now. It’s basically a glass cannon (5 red, 1 blue) with armor regen/crit damage everywhere and you have to get too close for comfort for most people to get the most out of it but I reached nearly 60% chance and before Strained/Killer kicks in, depending on your preference, I’m at 135% crit damage. If I trigger Versatile (swap to SMG from a different weapon type, get 35% SMG damage to enemies within 15m) and get Obliterate going at the same time I end up with critical hits going up to almost 400k with an SMG-9.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What spec do you use for an SMG build? I've always wanted to make one but could never really get something working.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there a good effort post about weapon modding I can reference? Usually I just go for Stability and Accuracy with most weapons.

I got a perfect rolled Glory Daze Assault Rifle last night and was wondering what I should make the third modifier for it, currently I got one with +12% Accuracy but I wasn’t sure if replacing that with something else would be an improvement.

The general process is to put enough stability mods on to make the gun usable then accuracy if you're not building for crit. If you're building for crit then put enough mods on to hit max CHC with the rest of your gear and then add whatever gives CHD.

For the Glory Daze I recommend the ACOG sight to practically eliminate the optimal range issue then add the laser pointer for crit chance and whatever muzzle gives crit damage. I don't think accuracy really helps with this because of how stable it is naturally.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BadLlama posted:

What spec do you use for an SMG build? I've always wanted to make one but could never really get something working.

I use Firewall, for a few reasons.

-Armor kit heals both health and armor. This is quite nice because health won’t heal on its own even if you’re only taking armor damage.
-Burn nearby enemies on armor break. Free stun if you’re in trouble. I don’t think this has much of a cooldown either.
-Health on kill if I have armor but low health (been healed by someone, or if I have bonus armor) or I spent just slightly too long killing something.
-Bonus armor for cover to cover moves. This is VERY VERY useful when you have to be close and constantly moving. It has no cooldown so as long as you don’t die in that second or two you stop at new cover you’ll always have 30% as soon as you start moving.

You can get some use out of the flamethrower by blind firing it over or around cover but you probably won’t be using it much.

If I was going to use another spec it would probably be demo (7% crit chance laser, ignore 1 explosion every 60 seconds, refill magazine on armor break) but I really like the armor kit and cover to cover bonus armor on Firewall.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 11, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just learned that artillery turrets are a bad choice for close-range combat and there is in fact self damage in this game.

edit: grenade launcher grenades as well

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 11, 2020

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Except for optimization I mostly finished an SMG build. I could always slightly more crit damage or armor regen but I have at least all the attributes I want where they should be now. It’s basically a glass cannon (5 red, 1 blue) with armor regen/crit damage everywhere and you have to get too close for comfort for most people to get the most out of it but I reached nearly 60% chance and before Strained/Killer kicks in, depending on your preference, I’m at 135% crit damage. If I trigger Versatile (swap to SMG from a different weapon type, get 35% SMG damage to enemies within 15m) and get Obliterate going at the same time I end up with critical hits going up to almost 400k with an SMG-9.

Might as well go all 6 red, that 1 blue aint doing you poo poo. Best defense for a crit/weapon is the Unbreakable skill on your chest. Its the one thing that keeps saving my rear end over and over. IMO one of the best defensive talents on gear bar none. I know you will probabaly lose some talent thats on your chest but you can maybe make up for it with amothe +crit% or +crit dmg on the gear slot you have the one blue.

Also that the thing with weapon balance in this game, With all of your poo poo running youre getting 400K crits, while im getting consistent 300K crits with my LMGs at liek 47% crit and 80% crit dmg (yeah bad RNG for me) and I have 2 mags 150 ea to empty as I have 2 lmg equipped, which means the sustained DPS on LMG are the best.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 11, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh so I shouldn't junk this extremely high rolled sokolov chest with unbreakable?

:v:

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Psion posted:

oh so I shouldn't junk this extremely high rolled sokolov chest with unbreakable?

:v:

It saves my rear end exactly once a minute. One shots become full armor again so you can keep shooting and waiting for that next one shot, lol.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Peechka posted:

Might as well go all 6 red, that 1 blue aint doing you poo poo. Best defense for a crit/weapon is the Unbreakable skill on your chest. Its the one thing that keeps saving my rear end over and over. IMO one of the best defensive talents on gear bar none. I know you will probabaly lose some talent thats on your chest but you can maybe make up for it with amothe +crit% or +crit dmg on the gear slot you have the one blue.

I dunno, I felt a fairly noticeable difference between no core armor and 1 core armor. It also affects the bonus armor I get from cover to cover. You’re right that I would probably get more relatively out of more weapon damage but I’ve ended up with almost no armor more often than I’d like without it. Full glass cannon is still an option, I already have a great piece for it from when I was building toward that, but I like my small security blanket.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

I dunno, I felt a fairly noticeable difference between no core armor and 1 core armor. It also affects the bonus armor I get from cover to cover. You’re right that I would probably get more relatively out of more weapon damage but I’ve ended up with almost no armor more often than I’d like without it. Full glass cannon is still an option, I already have a great piece for it from when I was building toward that, but I like my small security blanket.

Meh, now having played at challenging with pic up groups for a week, I see no difference between armor and none. You still get one shot, well not really one shot, this game has some mechanic that you never really get one shot, you get one shot with 10 hp left and no armor. Its then when you are vulnerable and dont heal up, you get one sot. I felt very little difference when I had even 1.2mil armor when I was trying poo poo out. But that unbreakable is noticeable for sure. Try it. You hear that "bang" noise of your armor depleated, and bam, youre 95% full again, so you can keep firing, once a minute of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know about Unbreakable, used it all the time since launch and I’m sure I’ll have a build that uses it again, but I’m more worried about reacting to/taking the lesser forms of damage rather than snipers or war hounds. I typically can be close enough that SMG blind fire is a viable choice which reduces, not eliminates, the threat from the big single shots. There’s also status effects like bleeding or burning to consider when you’re close to enemies that can cause them, either voluntarily or involuntarily :v:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Qmass posted:

jesus christ i want this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Peechka posted:

Also that the thing with weapon balance in this game, With all of your poo poo running youre getting 400K crits, while im getting consistent 300K crits with my LMGs at liek 47% crit and 80% crit dmg (yeah bad RNG for me) and I have 2 mags 150 ea to empty as I have 2 lmg equipped, which means the sustained DPS on LMG are the best.

That's why I run Tardigrade:

I kinda wish I could reroll armor regen into something useful but whatever.

Edit: I should probably get a good Unbreakable one for solo stuff.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 11, 2020