Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Come on, man, you're better than that...

I'd assume his comment was less that he went to china town and more that he was walking along a street in a major city surrounded by people. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd assume his comment was less that he went to china town and more that he was walking along a street in a major city surrounded by people. :v:

i highly doubt it

my wife is a student at Michigan and they're going online only on Monday. kind of sucks, graduation will probably be canceled and our celebratory trip to italy is certainly off as well.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I wasnt all that worried that Chinese people would be sick just because they were Chinese. It also wasnt busy at all because I think a lot of people might have been thinking that. I hadnt heard of anyone in Boston being sick until that post and hoping the convention they were talking about was after I left

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

MrOnBicycle posted:

While the corona virus should be respected and treated seriously, the dumbassery that is going on because of it is just mind boggling. People hoarding poo poo like idiots and panicing. I bet it's not the people that are in actual danger neither, but the healthiest of idiots that do it.

This is basically my feeling about the whole thing, treat it like you would any other severe flu (more or less). Because of panicking though, my sister was just told she has a week to get the gently caress out of her dorm, so I get to take a trip to New Orleans this weekend! I was planning one anyway, so this worked out nicely.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the up side, everyone boycotting restaurants and schools and stores and other retail operations for a month should do wonders for the economy that's already cratering into the loving core of the earth as it is, and once everyone loses their jobs they won't even have health care. Yeah!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The problem isn't just the mortality rate, it's that you still have a decent number of people (10%? more?) that require hospitalization in the ICU, and may need to be there for weeks, which will overwhelm hospitals. A lot of the guidance now is an attempt to "flatten the curve" so while the same number of people may get infected when it's all over, all of them were able to get the care they needed.

https://twitter.com/SiouxsieW/status/1237275231783284736?s=20

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

T-Square posted:

Wisconsin only has two confirmed cases, which were from like last week or something and the number hasn't risen yet, but apparently UW Madison, UW Milwaukee, and UW Green Bay have been or will be shutting down/evacuating dorms and going to online courses.

2nd confirmed case was just confirmed and in Burlington. I think the closing is largely a response to WHO "pandemic" classification, and the whole "flatten the curve" efforts. IMO, worthwhile efforts, just sucks the massive interruptions to everyone's life that cannot necessarily afford it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it might be too late to flatten the curve. The US hosed up early and may very well end up like Italy, with more aggressive measures needed that still work less effectively.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Tom Hanks has it, and the NBA just suspended the season indefinitely. Seems like that's not, uh, good

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Trump just suspended all travel to/from Europe until April.

It's gone from a liberal hoax that's no worse than the flu to a full fledged disaster that's somehow Europe's fault in two days.

\/\/
I had tickets to fly from Boston to London on Friday morning... I'm definitely not going now. The UK isn't Europe? LOL, sure. The Brits like to think they aren't, but Brexit doesn't stop COVID-19.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 12, 2020

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I don’t get the restriction on travel and trade to europe, but not Britain. Its way late for that and not the time to take shots at political opponents.

It has a certain degree of inevitability in this country at this point. Building hospitals in 7 days, blocking off roads, shutting things down and testing everybody got China past the hump in 3 months. Our strategy thus far does not include those things. Dunno which will be faster, work better etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Trump just suspended all travel to/from Europe until April.

Link?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1237916324808069124?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

And thousands of others... It was announced live on TV.

I'm literally on the phone with Airbnb right now, and have sent emails to both train lines that I have prepaid tickets on... Calling Virgin Atlantic in the morning.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
LOL. A friend from work just went to Amsterdam for an ALLEGEDLY 5 day trip on Saturday to celebrate turning 30.

:rip:

At least we have all the best people working on it here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NBA just cancelled tonight's games that were supposed to be played before the postponing. Player Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has tested positive for the virus, and the Jazz and OKC Thunder are currently under quarantine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have a huge home and garden show every year and there's multiple confirmed cases who attended.

I'm just staying home unless it's work or grocery runs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

I'm just staying home unless it's work or grocery runs.

This is just business as usual for married folk.

NBA shut down is wildin’. Not that many would care but the Latter Day Saint church has somewhat cancelled the semi-annual general conference. It’ll be broadcast only, no meeting at the conference center in Salt Lake (21000 capacity) which is usually a thing many people travel from all over the world to attend.
New missionaries will not be sent to the various training centers before heading to their destination. They’ll have trainings done virtually (online etc).

These are not things that the church would really ever do, particularly since we’re all pretty hyped up with this being the 200th anniversary since the ‘first vision’ of Joseph Smith.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As I am paranoid as all hell over this, I'm urging the wife to cancel our September Disneyworld trip.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ Long ways away from September boss, wait a little. Although, if you cancel now with no charge, you might get a kick-rear end rate if you rebook! :buddy:
Buh-bye Barcelona in April

:rip:

Time to get my trip cancellation insurance claim ready.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

As I am paranoid as all hell over this, I'm urging the wife to cancel our September Disneyworld trip.

Being grown adults, you should cancel it and go somewhere interesting instead, yeah

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ My wife wants to go to Disneyland, and I've never been so I'd entertain the idea personally.

If this is still around in November, I'm calling a conspiracy theory that it was planted by the US as a way to keep Trump in office.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the other end of this, my mom picked this week to start tearing out the Saltillo tile in her kitchen. With a Harbor Freight rotary hammer.

Calling it dusty is like calling 45 "a bit full of himself".

She's using a loving bandana as her only dust protection. Partly because she doesn't like cheap dust masks, mostly because you literally cannot get your hands on one otherwise.

Oh, and she's had my kid over for spring break while doing all of this.

Luckily I found a spare P100 mask in my garage, and I'll be bringing her a box fan with a furnace filter taped to it to capture at least some of it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How well does an HF rotary hammer work? I feel like that one's a coin toss

I wear a respirator for welding and I had 5 people ask me where I got mine today. It has weird shape so it can fit under the hood, if I can't get new filters for it, I'm going to get so upset. And so much aerosolized metal and flux in my nose

slidebite posted:

If this is still around in November, I'm calling a conspiracy theory that it was planted by the US as a way to keep Trump in office.

If this is still around in November, we should actually get worried about our personal safety instead of just taking precautions to not spread it to vulnerable individuals

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

How well does an HF rotary hammer work? I feel like that one's a coin toss

Apparently alright? Though I personally think it's the wrong tool for the job - a sledge and a chisel would probably get it up quicker.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Again, while Corina should be respected, it's the healthiest and people in the least amount of danger that seem to do the most panicking and are the people that will over load the health care system. Calm down, stay home if you feel ill and don't go to the ER unless it's an emergency (which people seem to have a hard time understanding even normally...). Don't go buying up all the food etc so people who don't have the means to hoard are poo poo out of luck etc.

Measures like stopping large meeting and doing stuff online is harmless and has other good effects as well.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face, don't cough like a moron etc. All basic stuff.
Don't waste your money on face protection or, like some moron did in our ER - stole a whole case. They do nothing until you get up into the proper gear.

If you really suspect that you are infected, contact the hospital before gonna there IF (huge if) you even have to go.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

slidebite posted:

^^ My wife wants to go to Disneyland, and I've never been so I'd entertain the idea personally.

I don't think this is gonna be good for Donnie, can't wait to see what the market does tomorrow with trade with the EU halted.

Plus if it's still around by November half his voters are going to be dead.

Along with him, Bernie, and Joe.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

I don't think this is gonna be good for Donnie, can't wait to see what the market does tomorrow with trade with the EU halted.

That's been corrected. As per usual, he was wrong. Trade is open, just no foreign nationals.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237924658185469954

Citizens will get a "thorough inspection"...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Citizens will get a "thorough inspection"...

Injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

NBA just cancelled tonight's games that were supposed to be played before the postponing. Player Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has tested positive for the virus, and the Jazz and OKC Thunder are currently under quarantine.

Turns out Rudy was a bit of an rear end in a top hat:
https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/1237077216661360650

edit: Some of the responses to this aged poorly as well.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 12, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The awkwardness of this tweet will be determined, in the future. By the robots.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Prong Song posted:

Duke University has extended spring break followed by online-only classes. I wonder if most/many universities expect to follow.

University of Texas Austin has suggested online-only classes will be a possibility, but they haven't committed to it yet. Not sure about the rest of the UT system, but UT Austin is their main campus.

fake edit: just checked their website, they posted a press release sometime today saying spring break has been extended by a week, followed by social distancing. So yeah, a lot of stuff will be moved to online. They're reopening dorms on the normal date for those who are coming back from spring break on the normal date, and they're large enough that they have an on campus medical facility. Wonder how that's gonna work for the students with meal plans?

Austin and Travis County have banned gatherings larger than 2500. They'd poo poo themselves if they saw how many people are in the store I work at around 5pm every day..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just started feeling extremely lovely when I thought about what's going to happen when it spreads into the homeless population.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ooooof.

Austin has a huge homeless population, and they're very visible. Lots of tents set up under overpasses, off of hiking trails, even in uncleared land that's up for sale. I got to see one of the uncleared ones go up in flames on my way home from work one day, pretty much across the street from where I work - didn't make the news, but it was a decent size fire. Scanner radio app revealed there was a small camp there and someone managed to burn down a tent while cooking.
Governor Abbot ordered the most visible homeless removed, TxDOT removed the visible ones under overpasses, but that obviously didn't do anything except piss off everyone affected.

Around the same time, the state set up a 5 acre plot for homeless to camp, but the nearest bus stop isn't exactly close enough for anyone with disabilities.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

We changed our April trip plans so we didn't have to fly and we wouldn't be around people.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Don't waste your money on face protection or, like some moron did in our ER - stole a whole case. They do nothing until you get up into the proper gear.
Our small local hospital had to remove the masks and hand sanitizer from the waiting rooms, they'd disappear within a half hour of being stocked. Then they started having the same problem in the staff only areas so now everything is locked up. I can't even get masks through our home healthcare company for the weekly dressing changes on my PICC line.

STR posted:

University of Texas Austin has suggested online-only classes will be a possibility, but they haven't committed to it yet. Not sure about the rest of the UT system, but UT Austin is their main campus.
Locally the University of Tennessee will move all classes to online following spring break until at least April 3rd.

The reports I've seen from doctors in Italy are pretty terrifying. Hospitals at 200% capacity, not enough test kits, younger patients/deaths and infected doctors/nurses continuing to work while not going home for weeks at a time to avoid infecting family. We had our first local case about 30 minutes from our house and ~15 from where my wife works. Things are getting scary and I can't help but follow it super closely and learn as much about it as possible. If I get it....it's basically game over.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

I had tickets to fly from Boston to London on Friday morning... I'm definitely not going now. The UK isn't Europe? LOL, sure. The Brits like to think they aren't, but Brexit doesn't stop COVID-19.
I'd rather be here than in the US, and the travel ban doesn't apply to the UK or Ireland as we're not in the Schengen free travel grouping.

You should probably check what your situation is regarding travel insurance and cancellation etc before making a decision.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah our dipshit government ain't doing poo poo right now so you have free reign to hang out wherever and party.

...though there's a COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA meeting going on as I type this which should add a bit of clarification to this mess. Ireland has closed down schools anyway from today.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is just business as usual for married folk.

NBA shut down is wildin’. Not that many would care but the Latter Day Saint church has somewhat cancelled the semi-annual general conference. It’ll be broadcast only, no meeting at the conference center in Salt Lake (21000 capacity) which is usually a thing many people travel from all over the world to attend.
New missionaries will not be sent to the various training centers before heading to their destination. They’ll have trainings done virtually (online etc).

These are not things that the church would really ever do, particularly since we’re all pretty hyped up with this being the 200th anniversary since the ‘first vision’ of Joseph Smith.

Isn't God supposed to protect his chosen from this kind of thing?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We just herded 1800 European cruise ship tourists in and out of our wildlife park yesterday!

Im going to enjoy my inevitable 14 day stay at home when it comes around, 80% of our our visitation are foreigners!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rhyno posted:

I just started feeling extremely lovely when I thought about what's going to happen when it spreads into the homeless population.

My wife is immune compromised from a chronic illness and works as a social worker and was advised to stay home. She deals with alcohol and drug abuse clients some of which are homeless. She has chosen to keep working because they need her help more than she needs to avoid getting sick in her eyes. It is not just the homeless but those working jobs without sick benefits or without the ability to work remotely they are all going to take a hit if/when things start closing down en mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'd almost rather get it, get it done with, and stop worrying about it, but again pregnant wife with asthma and a generally unimpressive immune system that I don't want to get infected. And the whole mutation risk thing. Even with asthma I'm not overly concerned about the step-kid, it's not hurting kids at all.