Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nevets posted:

I bought this $40 one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N33JJ3R

a couple years ago, I've never tested it for accuracy but it looked alright.
It's pretty easy to use if you've already got some way of adjusting the height like a tripod.

I'll consider that. I guess there may be something to buying a cheap one first to see if it's good enough/useful enough. Then if I run into limitations maybe I can pony up for a more expensive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Motronic posted:

I like my karchers, but honestly I think the most important thing is the engine. And that's a good one.

Seconding this.
I used a small one to pressure wash my parents house and deck every spring for years and it never gave me a fit.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Samadhi posted:

Have you used it on your vehicles at all? If so, how easy is it to adjust the power/what did you have to change, just the nozzle?

Yeah, used it on my cars. There is a 40 degree nozzle and you back the power down with an adjustment on the wand. I did use the hose it comes with to try and mix soap, but that kinda sucked so I got a foam cannon that I'll try when it warms up this year.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

y'all have any preferences on ducting for chip removal?

I currently have a very rough and ready cheap solution, which works because all my tools are close enough in port size that I can leave adapters on them and move a single hose around as needed, but I've since added a machine with a full size port on it and may as well take the opportunity to make things a little better.

My current thinking is to follow network cabling tradition and go for solid "structured wiring" set up using something like ~4" PVC waste pipe which is cost effective, readily available, and has lots of junction options, and use a decent quality flex hose for actual connection to machines and general cleanup use.

What would you suggest for the flex hose? I currently use standard ribbed plastic hose and it's annoying when the ribs catch on things. I've seen people using this type of fabric wrapped festool hose which I like, but I'm not really up for spending £40/m for mostly a brand name.

Also, any red flags about using the rigid PVC pipe for the fixed routes?

I guess I need to figure out gating also.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Take this with the grain of salt that I only have a shop vac for dust collection at this point, but did spend some time looking into it.

Seems like lots of people use PVC for this kinda thing. Main issue is that if it’s dry where you are there can be static buildup. I would maybe size up to 6” though if you’re running a big dust collector.

For the flex hose, dunno what you’re using now but they do make nicer ribbed hoses that are a little better to deal with than the cheap black plastic kind. I have an orange one for my Rigid vac that I like and isn’t quite as annoying as the standard hose that came with it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-7-8-in-x-10-ft-Professional-Grade-Vacuum-Hose-Kit-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuums-VT2570/100375877

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm not sure if there's something similar in the UK, but I used 4" DWV pipe when I setup my workshop last year. It's much cheaper and lighter than pvc, but still plenty rigid, and the inside diameter is slightly smaller than standard dust collection fittings like blast gates. You just need to warm it up for a minute with a heat gun and then press it down onto the gate. Once it cools you get a really nice friction fit.

I bought this 50' hose with the idea of cutting off pieces of just the length I need for each tool.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Might get more responses from the Woodworking thread. Only thing with PVC is you need to wrap it in a ground wire to keep static electricity from building up. High air flow, fine combustible dust, and a spark and things go boom. The clear ribbed flex tube has that wire giving it rigidity and grounding, I use whatever brown box brand Woodcraft sells.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thought I’d pick up some new organic vapor cartridges for my respirator while I was at the Depot-Nope! What’s gonna be the long term extra silicosis/nerve damage caused by people panic buying respirators?

Also looking at some new DeWalt 20v drills/drivers so I can keep a set at home-there were MAX XR ones and just MAX ones, with the XR being $20 more and having a sticker that said made in the USA. Any idea if there is a real difference?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also looking at some new DeWalt 20v drills/drivers so I can keep a set at home-there were MAX XR ones and just MAX ones, with the XR being $20 more and having a sticker that said made in the USA. Any idea if there is a real difference?

The XRs have brushless motors (you want this).

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thought I’d pick up some new organic vapor cartridges for my respirator while I was at the Depot-Nope! What’s gonna be the long term extra silicosis/nerve damage caused by people panic buying respirators?

sillychosis- noun. extreme psychological condition related to unreasonable, media-spread panic.

Can you not Amazon that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

sillychosis- noun. extreme psychological condition related to unreasonable, media-spread panic.

Can you not Amazon that?

Price gouging is rife there. Or the effect of supply and demand on a free market, if you prefer.

Here's a year ago:

And today:

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 11, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Price gouging is rife there. Or the effect of supply and demand on a free market, if you prefer.

Here's a year ago:

And today:

I wonder if Amazon isn't adding on tariffs imposed by the greatest genius in the Western world, even though Britain is not playing? Also, assuming product comes from China and Amazon do not have warehouses full of everything. Or am I totally airballing....

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

I wonder if Amazon isn't adding on tariffs imposed by the greatest genius in the Western world, even though Britain is not playing? Also, assuming product comes from China and Amazon do not have warehouses full of everything. Or am I totally airballing....

Dunno. Those (and others) are on next day delivery, so they're definitely not in china.

People are on there charging £25/bottle for antibacterial hand soap under the guise of hand sanitizer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The third-party sellers are absolutely going to gouge you for as much as they can get away with. Amazon itself...who knows? There's probably someone trying to weigh the increased profits vs. the PR hit of being seen to charge more during a pandemic.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Can you not Amazon that?

I probably could but it’s not something I desperately need just a ‘oh yeah while I’m here’

I did find out the normal dust masks I keep around the shop are N95 or whatever so eBay here I come :evilbuddy:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The third-party sellers are absolutely going to gouge you for as much as they can get away with. Amazon itself...who knows? There's probably someone trying to weigh the increased profits vs. the PR hit of being seen to charge more during a pandemic.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
You know that Amazon's choice banner just means you have a quality rating over a certain threshold, and agreed to pay amazon some advertising dollars, right?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My friendly local industrial supplier that knows people actually need these things to work has what I need for $11.30 ($30 on amazon) and said they’re only selling them to their regular customers and in small quantities. My sales guy said they’ve had calls from people wanting to buy thousands of them and said gently caress off.

Praise be unto local businesses.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

TacoHavoc posted:

You know that Amazon's choice banner just means you have a quality rating over a certain threshold, and agreed to pay amazon some advertising dollars, right?

I think he was pointing out the "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon" line.

That being said, some of the price increase might be because of problems in the supply chain if the filters or some/all of their ingredients are made in China.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nevets posted:

I think he was pointing out the "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon" line.

That being said, some of the price increase might be because of problems in the supply chain if the filters or some/all of their ingredients are made in China.

Yeah this

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
Whoops my bad, I missed that part. I've run into quite a few people who don't understand that Amazon recommendations have...questionable weight.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I originally assumed they were based on search-to-purchase metrics. I think I read their writeup on it at some point and iirc money doesn't change hands on it.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
What's the recommendation for a standalone smoke detector? I need to put up 2-3 new ones.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
THis is probably the most appropriate thread for this:

Got some work boots. They're used, because I wear them for work. I coated them with Mink oil after I bought them, but that was back in the fall. I want to do it again. They're covered with poo poo though. Well dirt actually. Should I just pressure wash them, let them dry, and then go at it with the mink oil? I feel like that might just ram the dirt (silt, clay particles et.al.) in to the leather, but I'm not an expert on work boot care.

I'm obviously going to brush or scrape off the major deposits of crud before I spray them down.....

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What kind of boots? My red wings get the loose dirt brushed off with a nylon brush, and a wipe with a damp towel. Then they dry on the boot dryer for a couple hours, and get a good wipe down with boot oil. 5 years in, and they're still in great shape, considering I used to blow through cheap boots every 12-18 months.

Edit: I should say I try to oil them every couple of weeks during the busy season (Oct-Jan for us), during the nicer months I usually clean and oil them monthly. If it's oil tanned leather and it's been that long, they'll probably soak up the oil like a sponge. Might need to do a few lighter oilings over the next month or two, depending on the condition.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 12, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

What kind of boots? My red wings get the loose dirt brushed off with a nylon brush, and a wipe with a damp towel. Then they dry on the boot dryer for a couple hours, and get a good wipe down with boot oil. 5 years in, and they're still in great shape, considering I used to blow through cheap boots every 12-18 months.

Edit: I should say I try to oil them every couple of weeks during the busy season (Oct-Jan for us), during the nicer months I usually clean and oil them monthly. If it's oil tanned leather and it's been that long, they'll probably soak up the oil like a sponge. Might need to do a few lighter oilings over the next month or two, depending on the condition.

Yup. Knock the loose dirt off, wash with water and a rag, dry, then oil. It's worked for me too. Red Wings for life!

I also pull the insoles out when I oil them and clean so the crud out of the footbed when I oil them. I get between 24 and 36 months out of them. When I worked on boats, the salt, hydraulic fluid, and daily abuse killed then. Now it's tread and toe wear from concrete floors.

Another thing for your boots: buy good insoles. I switched to the aggressive Red Wing ones a decade ago and my feet are so much happier because of them. Not Dr Scholl's gel bullshit, but legit, $50, insoles with deep heel cups and firm arch support. The computer scanner at my local Red Wing store did a good job of selecting them, and I buy then when they do a boot accessory sale.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Knock the loose dirt off with a brush, use a damp rag to get the rest of it. Scrub with saddle soap, let it dry, then buff it off with a dry rag, then apply some conditioner. Mink oil is fine. I like Huberd's shoe grease (might darken the color some) or Obenauf's.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

These ones: https://www.tscstores.com/MENS-8-REBEL-SAFETY-WORK-BOOTS-P44426.aspx

Not the greatest, but my boss pays for them. I do get good insoles. I'm pissed that the ones I liked were discontinued, but yeah, fuckin good insoles or gently caress off. I prefer the Anti fatigue insoles.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
For boots and leather in general I suggest Obenauf's https://www.amazon.ca/Obenaufs-CLEANIT-Leather-Cleaner-Natural/dp/B01LZEMVL7

also I like their conditioner but I have not compared it to mink oil: https://www.amazon.ca/Obenaufs-Leather-Oil-8-oz/dp/B002Q907QU/

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 12, 2020

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
For anyone else looking for advice, there actually is a literal boots thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522228

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Not to derail the tool chat but while on boots I will suggest getting a horsehair brush and boot cream for leather. I feel like my leather boots lived a short life for no reason until I discovered these things.

Back to tools (currently ordering a swath of dirtbike parts to replace before the riding season picks back up again). Also installing LED can lights into my garage for better lighting. Now I just need to figure out a cheap solution to my dirt floor of the garage in my rental house.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

For anyone else looking for advice, there actually is a literal boots thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522228

I guess I need to venture in to a few more forums on here.....

Thanks!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Does that thread move beyond $600 boots to wear with your raw denim skinny jeans that you rolled halfway up your ankle to show off the boot?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
You come walking onto a job site with shiny, dirt-free boots you gonna get laughed at.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ferrule posted:

You come walking onto a job site with shiny, dirt-free boots you gonna get laughed at.

Heaven forbid!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Verman posted:

Not to derail the tool chat but while on boots I will suggest getting a horsehair brush and boot cream for leather. I feel like my leather boots lived a short life for no reason until I discovered these things.

Back to tools (currently ordering a swath of dirtbike parts to replace before the riding season picks back up again). Also installing LED can lights into my garage for better lighting. Now I just need to figure out a cheap solution to my dirt floor of the garage in my rental house.

Alot of old carriage barns around here still use wooden floors even for cars.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Verman posted:

You could throw down some kind of semi-permeable geotextile fabric: https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Tack-Polyethylene-Geotextile-Resistance/dp/B071W84Q25

That way you don't trap humidity/moisture, but you can isolate the dirt. I'm not sure how durable they'll be over a long duration but they should wear reasonably well under light duty.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

You honestly think those folks would give advice on Chinese glued work boots?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to drill a bunch of holes into the outside of my house to put in some anchors and lag screws for something. It is a pretty basic brick wall surface, and I rented a hammer drill from Home Depot to do the job. However, the drill is only going about half the depth I need it to go before hitting something that it doesn’t seem to be able to get through.

Crappy pics.

I don’t know what’s at the back of this hole, but Jaded Burnout seems to think I need something called an SDS+ drill to get through it, and since my rental is already fixing to cost more than if I’d just bought the loving thing, it looks like I’m gonna have to buy one.

Questions:
1. Will an SDS+ drill also go through regular brick? In other words, can I (please) just buy one drill and be done with it?
2. What’s a good SCS+ drill y’all recommend? I’d like to not spend a ton of money, but I also don’t want some super cheap Chinese knockoff garbage.

EDIT: Here’s a post from the Fix It Fast thread that might answer some questions before y’all ask them.

I. M. Gei posted:

Oh my god FINE

Inside:

Outside:

See that 4x4 with the metal brackets at the top? I need to mount it to the brick wall behind it. To do this, I am drilling holes into said wall. Said holes need to be deep enough to accommodate 2”-long anchors plus 2” to 2 1/2” of lag screws screwed into them.

See that exposed foundation at the bottom? That’s unrelated, I’m just pointing it out to show that I know about it because I get the feeling DIY will rip into me if I don’t. We would like to cover it, but we just had to replace our fence in this same part of our yard and our funds are a bit tapped at the present.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I rented a hammer drill from Home Depot to do the job.

Do you mean, like.....a rotary hammer (which is what you should have rented) or a regular hand drill but with a setting that has a picture of a hammer on it? A link to what you rented would probably answer that.