Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

This is the first I've heard of hardcore Splatoon 1 fans who were dissatisfied with Splatoon 2, and also hardcore Jet Set Radio fans who were dissatisfied with Jet Set Radio Future.

And to be honest I don't believe that either of those groups exist.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

So, I'm a soon-to-be Switch owner (preordered the Animal Crossing version, which should get here on Tuesday), and I saw that a bunch of eshop games I'm interested in are on sale, including the gold version of Mario XCOM for $20. Is there a way to buy those before my Switch actually gets here, since I don't have access to the eshop on a Switch yet and I think they'll not be on sale by the time it does? I've tried to go through Nintendo's website, but it tells me to login through a Switch console.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Nope

Mario rabbids is on sale almost more than it isn't though so dont worry if you miss it this time

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Alas. Thanks for letting me know.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Athaboros posted:

So, I'm a soon-to-be Switch owner (preordered the Animal Crossing version, which should get here on Tuesday), and I saw that a bunch of eshop games I'm interested in are on sale, including the gold version of Mario XCOM for $20. Is there a way to buy those before my Switch actually gets here, since I don't have access to the eshop on a Switch yet and I think they'll not be on sale by the time it does? I've tried to go through Nintendo's website, but it tells me to login through a Switch console.

Mario + Rabbids is on sale until the 24th (that is, until 12 noon EST), you should be fine! For the rest of the sales you're interested in, check them out on Deku Deals to see how long they're on sale for.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Athaboros posted:

So, I'm a soon-to-be Switch owner (preordered the Animal Crossing version, which should get here on Tuesday), and I saw that a bunch of eshop games I'm interested in are on sale, including the gold version of Mario XCOM for $20. Is there a way to buy those before my Switch actually gets here, since I don't have access to the eshop on a Switch yet and I think they'll not be on sale by the time it does?
Occasionally stores like Amazon, Best Buy, Game Stop, Target, and/or Walmart will match eShop pricing for their download codes. If so, you can buy a code from one of those places now and use it when your Switch comes on Tuesday.

This is also a workaround for the issue of not actually being able to gift stuff on the eShop.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Reminder that the Humble store sells Nintendo Switch game comes too.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Takoluka posted:

wait are you the 60 hours of Splatoon 2 guy

Yup, ironically I was regifted the game for Christmas. Haven't touched it though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It would be cool if Nintendo released Animal Crossing early on the eShop.

Because of the pandemic and all. People be holed up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beastie posted:

It would be cool if Nintendo released Animal Crossing early on the eShop.

Because of the pandemic and all. People be holed up.

I keep checking my preload daily to see if it unlocks. Nintendo has hosed up with those before.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fanatical also does this, though they tend to be European copies.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i don't think my work mates would appreciate Mario sounding off like that. Then again I'm sure it will be good for kids who want a new Lego.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 13, 2020

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is darkwood any good? It's on sale at the moment

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

bushisms.txt posted:

Look down at your joycons. Is there a separate screen that streams the game live simultaneously with the TV? No? Then outside of the base mechanics of swimming and shooting, there's not much that's similar. The map removal completely changed the flow of the original, where now using the map tactically is an actual skill gap. The specials where changed to not use the pad, which also changed how they functioned and their moment to moment use. The story is a continuation, me calling it a reboot is more pointed at the devs rethinking how their game would work without the system feature the original was born from.

I've posted more than once on the subject, so I'll leave it. Not saying the game isn't good, it ironically just took the same mechanical leap between sequels as jsr and jsrf, and I honestly don't know which was more disappointing.

Edit: this is only in regards to multiplayer, single player Splatoon/2 is top notch with some of the best shooter bosses in gaming.

Only 1 special in the first game actively used the Game Pad and that was the Inkstrike. And the special basically got ported to Splatoon 2 later on in that game's lifespan as the Booyah Bomb.

Gameplay wise, the engine is basically the same, and weapon mechanics and stats work just like they did in Splatoon 1, with some numbers adjusted here and there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

This is the first I've heard of hardcore Splatoon 1 fans who were dissatisfied with Splatoon 2, and also hardcore Jet Set Radio fans who were dissatisfied with Jet Set Radio Future.

I can kinda see why with JSR vs JSRF, I also much prefer the former, but lol at getting rabidly defensive over it because JSRF's still a solid game with a banging soundtrack.

Araxxor posted:

Only 1 special in the first game actively used the Game Pad and that was the Inkstrike. And the special basically got ported to Splatoon 2 later on in that game's lifespan as the Booyah Bomb.

Gameplay wise, the engine is basically the same, and weapon mechanics and stats work just like they did in Splatoon 1, with some numbers adjusted here and there.

Super Jumping is also easier to quickly execute with your teammates mapped to buttons for their destinations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gripweed posted:

JSR and JSRF is such a weird duology since outside of the core concept they're very different games. I'm glad the tagging mechanic of the original game burned in the hell it belonged to (it destroyed any flow of the game) but instead of using the opportunity to revamp the encounters they also gutted the difficulty of dealing with the gangs and police since the main complaint most had about JSR was that the later chapters with the mind-controlled Poison Jam, the upgraded Police force, and especially the Golden Rhinos were very, very hard for the kind of game it was, especially with the way the tagging mini-game worked. Which kinda made JSRF's gameplay more like just checking off boxes on a list until the game was over. Nice, chill, a fun game to poke around in and see the sights. But ultimately unsatisfying as the game was pretty much a flat plateau from start to finish and there was more to do in the game then there were things to hold your interest until the end.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 13, 2020

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is there any reason I shouldn’t buy a switch lite? I need something to do now that all the sports and public events are canceled and I like the idea of saving $100.

Also, what software should I buy? What are the switch “must haves?” Do I need to get an SD card?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Would you like to play on the TV ever?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn’t buy a switch lite? I need something to do now that all the sports and public events are canceled and I like the idea of saving $100.

Also, what software should I buy? What are the switch “must haves?” Do I need to get an SD card?

If you don't care about playing on a TV at all the Switch Lite is great.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I am aware that the Switch lite cannot connect to a TV. I wouldn’t be playing on a TV right now and I think the $100 now is more valuable to me than the possibility of doing it at some unspecified time in the future. I’m wondering if it’s decent hardware other than that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a Switch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
No really notable differences in performance if that's what you're asking. It's the same hardware as the Switch, you just can't dock it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

There’s no rumble and it arguably has a better D-Pad plus no kickstand or detachable joycons. Other than that it’s the same exact console. Seeing as it can’t actually switch between TV and handheld it should really be called a Swi

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
They really hosed up with the Switch Lite. It should be called "You Can't Switch".

edit: fb

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Araxxor posted:

No really notable differences in performance if that's what you're asking. It's the same hardware as the Switch, you just can't dock it.

Yeah this is what I wanted to know.

Does it have some internal flash memory or do I need to buy an SD card?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It comes with some internal memory and you can expand it with a micro sd card

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

There’s no rumble and it arguably has a better D-Pad plus no kickstand or detachable joycons. Other than that it’s the same exact console. Seeing as it can’t actually switch between TV and handheld it should really be called a Swi

A Swii?

The kickstand is pretty useless anyway. I got a little folding metal stand which is nice and useful, and versatile. And comes with its own pouch to avoid getting dusty.

Araxxor posted:

I remember the opinion from day one that the nerfed specials in 2 were way more balanced, and a lot more fun and interactive too. Also the Booyah Bomb is basiclaly the Spirit Bomb of ink and it's rad.

I should bust it out again with my favourite Turf War build for spamming the seeker missiles, mostly to take advantage of how they completely refill your ink.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

drat. I have plenty of games on deck but $40 for Mario Maker sounds good. Has that ever been on sale before?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

drat. I have plenty of games on deck but $40 for Mario Maker sounds good. Has that ever been on sale before?

I think only around Black Friday. It’s a good sale. I’d go for it.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lmao hadn't seen that clip in a bit

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'd be down for $40 MM2 too imo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One underrated aspect of SMM2 (assuming you've got the people for it) is online multiplayer. A few of us from the Imp Zone get together occasionally and it's a blast. And since the levels are neverending and random it's also always fresh.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The New Nintendo Unswitchable XL

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Nintendo Swisn't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Nintendo Witch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just add a ?

the Nintendo Switch?™

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ogmius815 posted:

I am aware that the Switch lite cannot connect to a TV. I wouldn’t be playing on a TV right now and I think the $100 now is more valuable to me than the possibility of doing it at some unspecified time in the future. I’m wondering if it’s decent hardware other than that.

Do you e er think you'll want to play multiplayer?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is this a regional thing? Was super intrigued, but can't see anything on the UK site.

How does it work? Do they offer discounts and is it worth me trying to reroute via VPN?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

yung lambic posted:

How does it work? Do they offer discounts and is it worth me trying to reroute via VPN?

No, codes are region locked.

Your best bet in the UK for cheap cheap eshop games is shopto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Monster Hunter is 50% off in Europe.

I have enough gold coins to get it outright now. But I'm really on the fence about it. Surely there'd be a better Monster Hunter destined for the Switch as opposed to a 3DS port?